Floppies

How come no one buys paperbag comic book anymore?

only bc it has no value or is it bc it's too "expensive" or it's better to read the whole thing with hardcover/printed ones?

What's your reason????

ps. I bought my Batman new 52 series in paperbags and a couple of "first" edition of Marvel comics in paper bag...

Why quotes around the word expensive? I think its a legitimate reason. You save money buying trades. For the quality of the story you get for $4, it doesn't always feel worth it.

it's expensive and it got shitty ads

Because it's $3 to $5 for about 10 or 20 minutes worth of content. Not to mention they don't hold up well over time, don't look good on shelves, and are a pain to store, especially in large quantities.

Floppies are an outdated format.

I feel you but I quoted bc people still invest "$3-4" every month to collect those bc they feel it's inexpensive and willing to invest in them

>trades are cheaper
>easier to share trades/suggest/give to friends

once i fell out of the habit of going to my comic store every week it was much easier just to buy the trades on sale

trades are already a discount of 10-20% off weekly price, then factor in amazon or con discounts and its a good deal

The ONLY reason I buy floppies is to support my lcs, and I'm trying to work out a trade back deal with them for tpb collections. My lcs I'd the first we've had in like 20 years, before I would have ro take a bus or drive 40+ miles to the nearest. On the other hand, floppies make for great wall-art if you don't give a shit and have a wall painted an ugly green

this is awesome!

one of my main reason is to buy floppies is support my LCS too

Pretty much this and trades are easier to store. I only buy the first issue of a series that I want to follow and maybe some variants here and there.

I also have a Spider block, my friend gave me a long box filled with his comics after he got married, he had like all of Amazing to Superior and almost all of Waypool (which I was able to sell for 60$) so I just picked out my favorite ASM covers and put em up

I prefer trades over floppies. Floppies are like watching 10 minutes of a 40 minute tv show episode with the commercials included.

I don't like paying for shit. So I pirate as issues come out and then trade buy things I like.

I also live in an apartment and don't have space for all the floppies I would end up with granted how much I read.

Because the closest shop that sells floppies of anything but Batman and TWD is located in the next country over. So fuck that.

Because, they are expensive and it's more convenient to steal them online than it is to drive 50 miles to a shop that sells them. Besides I don't read very many new comics anyway, overall the industry is dying and I don't give a damn

The ads placed throughout the book are fucking annoying and bother my autism.

>Floppies
- 20 to 23 pages.
- usually one chapter of a story.
- ads.
- range from 2.99 to 5.99.
- can't store on bookshelf neatly
- have to bag and bored to preserve them.

>Trades
- page count varies, anywhere from 80 to 200.
- no ads.
- range from 11.99 to 19.99
- can store on bookshelf neatly
- no need to bag and bored to preserve

You're totally wrong about trades, beside for the storage capability
> Page count can go beyond 1000+
> Ads are at the beginning or the end of the book
> Can cost up to 160$ and even more
> Like for any book, you can bag and board if needed

Same. It's the reason I won't pay for Marvel. I'll pay a Dollar extra for indie books because they don't do this shit but why would I pay the same for a book with Ads every second page ?

Tiny little narrative cocktease format full of ads that lasts over time about as well as a soggy newspaper and can't really be stored properly on a bookshelf.
Gee, I wonder why people wouldn't want that.

>$160 trades
Only if you're buying shit that's been OOP for decades.

I do because I prefer the 'collecting' aspect with floppies. Same with buying old issues from the Silver Age, it's more special to pick up that single issue you've been looking for.

To read a specific arc from the past, I'll always choose TPBs, As a collector, I enjoy buying floppies.

Will the floppies worth over time???

I buy digital, which is like floppies but with none of the downsides...other than spending 5 bucks on something that took me 5 min. to read. That said i really enjoy reading things on the comixology app.

Yeah, seriously, it's like arguing floppies cost a million dollars because Action Comics #1 exists.

I would like to collect both singles and trades, but i live in russia, lol, so I only buy trades (i choose more comics for less money) the prices of international shipping are already huge. sometimes bigget than the price of my order. If I lived someplace where comics are easy to buy in LCS, I would buy singles, too

>paperbag
>trade
>floppy
I'm not even sure what these terms refer to.

>Trade
Trade paperback, TPB. Collection of several issues with a soft cover like a pocket book as opposed to a hardcover which has a hard cover like a bound book.
>Floppy
Single issue, usually stapled together and not very sturdy. Never heard paperbag before but I'm assuming it's the same thing as floppy based on OP's picture.

I buy old backlogs of comics like Wolverine Vol 2 and I have a couple of newer floppies. I like my local comic stores and strong the floppies can be a pain, but thankfully they give me free boards and bags to store them.
Then again I'm still new to the comic scene, I'm just buying what I like and want to support.
Trades are pretty cool and I do have an omnibus, and buying them is better in the long run considering its probably cheaper some of the times and the degrading quality of a floppy over time, but then again just don't be clumsy, nasty, and an idiot and floppies will last a long time, especially now considering the improvement of floppy paper quality.

>it's too "expensive" or it's better to read the whole thing with hardcover/printed ones?
These. They're a ripoff compared to the price of trades and come with ads despite costing more. And 90% of comics are written for the trade anyway, so when you pick up a floppy you get about 5 minutes of story and then have to wait a month for the next part of the story. It's just shit. Back when most stories are 1 or 2 parters it was justifiable but once Bendis and Morrison ruined comics forever their usefulness ended.

Considering he said the page count can go up to 1000 I think he doesn't know the difference between a trade and an omnibus.

At this point it's like choosing between seeing a movie in theaters or waiting 4-5 months to buy or rent it, The preference lies in how soon you want to read your comics and whether you want to support your LCS.

>Seeing 10 minutes of a movie with commercials padding it out.
ftfy

I buy single issues of comics because it saves me money in the long run.

And if a book is released in single issues the single issue is the best way to determine a books quality.

Buying a floppy in this day and age makes no sense to me.

I always compare the "overall" price of a comic to that of a fast-food hamburger of some kind. In my mind, each have their pros and cons:

* A floppy isn't necessarily "unhealthy" in any real form -- a $2.99-$4.99 burger probably will be. (at worst, the edginess or awfulness of a floppy will rub off on you)
* A floppy can potentially last longer, especially if the art is good or the story has something memorable to it. A burger will only really last for about 2-4 hours, and then you'll just have the faint memory of its taste.

On the other hand
* A burger (especially at 3-5 dollars) will almost definitely satisfy any cravings you have. A floppy in the beginning/middle of an arc probably won't.
* A burger and its packaging are easily disposed of. A lot of the "value" of a floppy is the fact that it's re-readable, yet it's not made for easy storage.
* A burger will tend to be more easily available than a floppy; even a "good" burger will probably be more in-reach than an LCS. Similarly, you can have them as often as you want -- once a week, if you so choose. A new issue comes out once a month.
* Besides maybe the instore advertisements and the packaging, a burger is just a burger, with no ads taking up space. (Perhaps a better equivalent would be extra toppings, although you can either order them without the toppings for no extra charge or easily take out the toppings yourself). A floppy has numerous ads inside it, which is usually not removable by cutting the page out, lest you remove a story page as well.

For me, the burger wins -- and I don't even like them that much.

Digital floppies would correct a lot of these things, except they're at the same price as physical floppies, mostly because Diamond forces them. And it's dumb, given that 1) there's no cost in printing, 2) no cost in shipping, 3) the readers don't get some of the few benefits of buying a floppy, like *actually* owning the comic.

I stopped buying comic books because I have to drive to the next town over to get to a store. The staff there were sterotypical close-minded nerds and I got tired of supporting them.

Ah, thanks. Well I buy the individual floppy issues when I'm interested, and also buy the trade paperbacks if it's good enough to hold onto. Or, if it's something suspect when it comes out but is easy to tell it's good afterwards, then the trade paperback of the whole story arc.

Then again, I really only pick up two or three comics on any regular basis, so I guess that doesn't mean much.

Support of a local comic shop and support of the brand line. Although, as I said above, I'll end up buying both eventually.

I honestly don't know why you would pick up a random single issue of a comic, but if you are interested in an ongoing comic line, then picking them up as they first release makes sense. Plus, not everything receives a trade paperback and not every side-issue makes it in one.

>all those bent floppies without bags or boards

What a waste.

>being a drone
wew
At least you read Vision

I've always thought about just 100% switching over to trades, but I like keeping "up to date" with stories. It's so much more fun to actively talk about what's currently going on in a book as opposed to looking up months-to-years old message board posts about what I just read with no ability to contribute.

I also like keeping the books I like afloat. Trade sales mean next-to-nothing in terms of keeping a book alive. I really want Venom: Spaceknight, Spider-Man 2099, Astonishing Ant-Man, and Moon Knight to continue for as long as possible, so I'll keep buying the floppies every month.

But objectively, trades are far superior, being real books as opposed to booklets, looking nice on a shelf, and no ads. I sometimes really want to buy some of my favorite series (that I own in floppies) in trades but I don't feel like wasting the money "double dipping" and I'm to attached to the floppies to sell them.

Life is hard.

Sorry, DC and the other individual companies aren't producing anything that I really care about right now enough to have on my pull list, actually Tom King's Batman is on my pull for when Rebirth finally rolls around, but right now I'm dc free. Furthermore I dislike floppies and only buy them to support my lcs, it just so happens that when the comic shop got up and running it was a month before Post Secret Wars so my list was made up of a bunch of number 1s, DC was already balls deep into DCYou at the time and, again, had nothing that I cared about.

I only buy back issues if it's something I know hasn't been collected in a trade, or if it's a certain issue I liked, cover art or a variant I really liked.

This

They are a better deal and if you buy good comics they are worth getting in single issues, it is very easy.

Also most small press stuff doesn't have a spine so you are basically throwing away a sizeable chunk of great work by a weird policy.