ITT: Bullshit

ITT: Bullshit

Other urls found in this thread:

steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Watermelon_Island
steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Gem_Drill
youtube.com/watch?v=TtqS0FH5ZSM
apsalusiv.tumblr.com/post/144289617501/this-guy-or-girl-knows-what-im-talkin-about
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I thought it fit into stevens character very well, also it was nice to see that peridot genuinly cares about steven

Fuck is that?

lazy writing

Why?

I see.

spend episodes building up how much of a world threat this thing is.
It literally only took 1 conversation to disable it

I hear ya

Fuck you, i liked it.

The partially conscious nature of fractured Gems has been established.
The fact that bubbling can prevent Gems from forming a body has been established for a long time.
Steven's telepathic powers have been shown.

And, most importantly, we know about Steven's "let's talk it out instead of fighting" personality. That's his MO. It's been a major part of his character forever. Peridot, Centipeetle, Lapis, On the Run, etc. You should have known that he'd do something like this ever since the nature of the Cluster was mentioned. They foreshadowed it in that episode with the forced fusions that he wanted to help.

What happened in that episode was the obvious path for this show. It shouldn't be a surprise.

You know it's all a misdirect, right?

We all know it's being built up so it can be a credible threat To Yellow Diamond when she invades

"every problem can be solved by talking things through"

It's starting to get a little painful with the cringe.

You have to be 18 or older to post on this site

They could have gotten away with it if their dialogue was better.

Nope. No way to get past that, thats just flawed as a concept.

I agree OP, I'm mad they didn't serenade the Pop Rocks, too.

Can someone explain what actually happened? I follow the story but havent had a chance to catch the latest ep and wont for a few days, so spoil me plz.

What? Did you expect them to kill that thing?

Like how are else were they supposed to stop it?

steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Watermelon_Island
steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Gem_Drill

>What? Did you expect them to kill that thing?
Yes actually
that's what they built up.

If this were a season finale I would be calling bullshit too, but this is just the beginning, and bubbling is a very volatile solution. They have a time bomb and disabled the timer, but they are still stuck with the bomb.

Holy shit that was the most retarded thing I had ever seen on a tv show period. That fucking season shifted my whole perspective on the quality of cartoons in general. Fuck that shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=TtqS0FH5ZSM
>Connie, Peridot, and Steven reaches the cluster
>Countless gem zombies emerge
>menacing music
>It's up to stevonnie to defend the drill
>The fight off the best they could
>They're too outnumbered
>Drill gets slowly ripped to shreds
>Drill is on it's last stand
>suddenly the gems teleport via lion
>Drill destroys or shuts down cluster
I was hoping it would be like vid related

I liked it. Steven's whole thing has always been talking down enemies and trying to befriend people.

It also means there's still a terrifying planet-destroying superweapon in the middle of the world, giving the Diamond Authority a reason to keep caring about the earth. Shit is way more intense than if Peridot's coathanger abortion had worked.

>I was hoping it would be like vid related
real life aint no video game, user...

>real life
...what?

It was a bit of a cop-out, yeah. Not awful, but disappointing. It felt contrived, more than anything.

I don't mind it when a show has a strong anti-violence ethos and an idealistic streak, and I think that having characters hold to their philosophy in the face of destruction is admirable. It shows strength of character.

It's just that having the universe then bend over backwards to make them right and ensure they don't suffer any consequences for holding to their beliefs kind of robs it of its impact. Talking can't solve every problem, much as we might wish otherwise. When you can solve a problem without violence, you should, sure, but it's an unfortunate fact that it just doesn't always work that way, but choosing to at least try to talk even when diplomacy seems impossible is all the more powerful because it doesn't always work and there might be consequences, IMO.

Having the narrative enforce the idea that it's always a viable solution is just, I don't know, kind of lazy. It means that the characters don't have to make any genuine hard choices, and that the whole trying to talk it out doesn't mean anything, because doing the 'right' thing will always work out. It's a kids show, though, so it's not unexpected, but I kind of thought that it was going for 'a show aimed at children' rather than 'a childish show'.

I'd have preferred for Steven to try to talk it out, and have some success convincing the Cluster, but ultimately the Cluster would be unable to prevent itself from starting to form, and Peridot would destroy it. And then Steven would cry, because it was a victim in all of this but still had to be destroyed. Then again, that might still happen. It's not like its going to stay contained for long.

I'm not sure how much of this ramble made sense, but I was just generally dissatisfied with the conclusion, though I'm kind of reserving judgement because this arc isn't over and the Cluster is still present and likely to be a plot point.

I still expected more of a conflict before the resolve. Something like pointed where the cluster would fragment thanks to the drill and they would have to fight the segments and shards still before steven manages to reach a pacific solution, it's not that what they did is fully wrong but it was a bit of a letdown.

>Big doombringer world destroying monster
>alluded as a threat for dozens of episodes
>seems like the entire series is building to the climatic finale with this thing

Literally put on a bus In 5 minutes.
Who'd have thought the cluster would job for Steven.

C'mon, user! First the cluster, next the corrupted gems! There was good setup here!

Soon, Steven will wage war against the Diamonds, but only after he's made them ridiculously angry.

I get what you're saying but there's still a chance for things to turn out much differently, especially in regards to Jasper, Homeworld or even Lapis.

I'm definitely hoping we get a character that shows Steven that alas, you can't befriend everyone.

>real life
steven universe is a show about alien rocks saving the world nigga wheres the real life aspects in that

when the meteor hit the dinosaurs that technically allowed us to evolve

The Cluster, bubbled.

How would you have written it, mr.Shakespeare?

Again: what were his options?

Steven managed to communicate with the souls in the Cluster, convinced them not to form, and instead they ended up bubbling each other (apparently they learned it from him) until the whole Cluster was in a bubble, solving the problem... for now.

How the fuck were they supposed to kill it?

>seems like the entire series is building to the climatic finale with this thing

Still does. It wasn't fixed. Just put on hold.

Yellow Diamond wants the world destroyed and the Cluster is still her best bet.

IMO this was the best way they could have done it; there's still the ambiguity of what will happen next, since the Cluster has only been briefly contained.

It's like you never played a high speech, high charisma character in any RPG ever OP

Why do you need charisma when you can roll intimidation?

reminder that the ending was literally ripped outta Gundam 00 almost scene for scene

>OH MAN YOU GUYS THE CLUSTER IS A HUGE AND SERIOUS THREAT

>LETS BUILD UP SEVERAL EPISODES TO HOW SERIOUS THIS SHIT IS

>HOLY FUCK WE CANT STRESS HOW SERIOUS THIS WORLD ENDING THREAT IT JESUS CHRIST YOU GUYS

>and then its solved in a few minutes with no downsides or anything bad happening and the day is saved

As opposed to just drilling through it as planned?

It's either this, which still leaves room for the cluster emerging in the future via Homeworld efforts, or destroying it for good and resolving it right away. It's better that this plotline doesn't consume the show.

What kind of system are you using where intimidation isn't a subset of the speech skill

pics for comparison
apsalusiv.tumblr.com/post/144289617501/this-guy-or-girl-knows-what-im-talkin-about

I agree with these

This on the other hand...
It looked pretty nice I suppose, but everything else about it was shit. Especially when Jinora showed up. Thank god S3 was pretty great

I didn't see a problem with it.

Compare it to the last airbender, the avatar knew he would have to resort to violence but refused to.

Meanwhile Steven accepted violence as the only choice ( the drill). He only tried talking to the shard as a last ditch attempt.

So yeah, same twist but the ethos is different.

The pathfinder one?
>The DC of this check is equal to 10 + the target’s Hit Dice + the target’s Wisdom modifier.
While intimidate is charisma based is not fully dependent of it, which makes sense since the more charisma you have the more of a cool guy you seem as opposed to an asshole that can curse left and right.

>a anime reference/rip off in Steven Universe

WOW
NO FUCKING WAY

Holy fucking shit you fags, it's not like they don't solve the problem of the numerous monsters attacking every day by beating the shit out of them, and it's not like they didn't solve Lapis by talking to the clones, and I don't remember the scene where Steven talked Jasper into being friends with them, nor when Garnet talked the gem shards that attacked them into submission.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with this, and it's not even like it's permanent or anything.

Communicating with the cluster should've gotten its own episode.
They could've expanded upon Steven's mental interaction by having him get forcibly dragged into the flashbacks of the war or perhaps even sights of the homeworld. They could've had the gem resonation trigger a mental projection of Rose to help guide him to the right decision.
Basically there was nothing with the Cluater getting bubbled, but there was so much more that could've been done with it.

>Copy pasting a major plotline from a show is the same as referencing said show
I don't mind because I'm still enjoying the ride. but I still want to point it out.

i honestly think this is coincidence. it's too vague

With ATLA it felt more contrived though, Yes Aang is as much of a passive peacemaker as Steven is, however the whole lionturtle solution thing was out of nowhere. With Steven it was already established in different episodes that he has some psychic dream abilities and so forth. Didn't stop me from enjoying the ATLA finale, but it was far from perfect.

And with Gem Drill I'm having a hard time seeing anything really wrong about this solution. I suppose it's not as thrilling compared to imagining Peridot and Steven brawl with mutants, but this solution felt more in tune with the show
Also I do think we'll get quite the fights later on in the show, once Homeworld really makes Earth a priority again

>Dozens
Eight episodes.
Most of which were just Peridot's character arc.

The hiatuses are really messing with the sense of scale. The Cluster was the background for a mini-arc to defeat into Homeworld invading. Even beyond that, dealing with a threat like that physically in ten minutes would be a huge fucking anticlimax and remove the credibility of Homeworld as a threat.

>complaining about this
>not the super shitty way of getting rid of Jasper so we can have numerous of episode about Lapis making friends with everyone

This.
May as well have just held up a title card, "Jasper exits stage left"

Even for people who marathoned the show it seems flaccid as fuck though.

Actually the whole jasper and lapiz falling unconscious deal felt off character based on the show's lore. they should've have poofed back into gems.

Even if it wasn't intentional, it's still a pretty crazy coincidence.
Also I'm pretty sure MSG is the pioneer of representing mental communication as floating around in a void.

Astro Boy beat it to the punch.

No they don't. So far we've seen that whenever a fusion falls apart they don't poof back into gems. Sugilite for example, falls apart because of the damage she received (from her own hit). She reverts back to Garnet and Amethyst without the two of them being poofed. However they were completely exhausted and were having trouble with moving around for a bit.

I haven't read Astro Boy yet but your probably right.
Plus Tomino did work under Tezuka for a while.

I guess I should rephrase it to "the most well known' instead of pioneer.

Except not, because when Pearl defeated Sugilite instead being rendered back into their gem state Garnet and Amethyst simply unfused while experiencing great pain.

>The most well known
Try again.

What can I say user, she slipped
>WHOOPS!

See the thing is they had a bit of energy left to keep consious and they unfused as opposed to get poofed, malachite on the other had took an arrow to the gut went poof and both jasper and lapis were knocked out because of it. the only other example of this i have is the destabilizer that also made ruby and sapphire go poof instead of unconscious.

I still don't think it's over, Jasper fell down into the center of the earth. I think she's gonna try to fuse with the cluster after learning how useful fusion is and since they're only fragments she wouldn't have to worry about them overpowering her like Lapis.

>pleb and proud

>This example is the more well known than Gundam.
>UR A PLEB!

No need to resort to personal attacks just because you're wrong, user.

>A threat that's consistently said to only do ONE thing if it's released which is destroy the world

>People actually expected something different to happen

Steven passing out into the sea of tortured souls and fighting to keep them calm is literally the best path this story could have taken. People itt are hells of understating what happened.

If this ended like NGE everyone on earth would have become one with the cluster and Steven would have choked out Peridot in front of a giant naked Alexandrite.

Steven has slightly better social skills than Shinji.

>How would you have written it, mr.Shakespeare?
I dunno cunt but anything is better than: "steven has a deus ex machina power to communicate to the cluster and all he does is tell those broken, confused, tortured soul to talk to themselves"

I hope for some sexy body horror Jasper

>more well known

Maybe by people like you. Don't lower the entire world, especially Japan, to your level.

Also Madoka would be the right answer if we are counting popularity

>talks shit about my show, must be underaged

Man I like Madoka but Eva's like a cultural touchstone in Japan, practically everyone there's seen it. It was huge overseas too, I think the only place that Madoka might be more popular than Eva is in the States, but even here I feel like Eva might have a leg-up on Madoka solely due to age.

I mostly agree with you, but this is really shaping up to be the kind of show where the pacifist method works in the long run. I think there was a tweet awhile back from Sugar or someone else on the staff who said "there aren't any evil characters, just misunderstandings", or something to that effect.

I wouldn't be surprised if they dealt with Jasper and YD by talking them down or something

NGE is bigger in Japan than Gundam 00, don't even fucking pretend it isn't. NGE is huge and 00 was popular, but not high profile fashion designers designing clothing lines for it's anniversary and people making semen flavored drinks referencing it popular.

Madoka's relevance has already started to fade, it was a flash in the pan.

>Defeats biggest bad of all-time with Care Bear Stare.

How has this not been posted yet?

Guess I was good for soething le epic feelz
> 2 mins later
PSYCH GOT MY MEMORY BACK WOO HOO.

Steven's mere existence mocks the power of the Great Diamond Authority.

he wasn't even brain dead or vegetative or anything like that, he just lost his memories and was a blank slate. How was that not good enough for a bitter sweet ending that leads to two brothers starting over their troubled relation
nope, have the fucking pig erase all of that possible drama

Yeah this annoyed me too

I really wish he hadn't gotten his memory back. It sort of ruined the whole moment.
It wouldn't have been bad if they implied he might recover them someday, like showing something in the recesses of his mind, but to outright have them straight back felt disingenuous.

It's not really a deus ex machina, since it was established way back in Chille Tid that Steven can communicate with other gems through his dreams. Hell, even the previous episode reminded us that Steven had weird dream powers with the whole watermelon possession thing.

Yeah, I never saw it going to Eva levels, even when it first aired. I remember people claiming that it was the "new Eva", and that naysayers would be eating their words in 10 years, but here we are 5 years later, and Madoka's pretty clearly falling to the wayside.

I'm not sure that any anime will truly be able to match the longevity and cultural relevance that Eva's had. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but all of its rivals in those areas were from 25+ years prior.

No, Gundam is more well known when it comes to floaty telepathic communication.
Because it happens in almost every Gundam series.

Original guy here. I wasn't making a comment about 00. I was commenting on Gundam as a whole.
Something that is far better well known than both Madoka and NGE combined.

>A pattern fans would recognize vs one of the only things people DO know through osmosis about one of the most popular anime ever.

Dude, stop trying to change the standard, it's okay to be wrong. It's not the first or most popular, but a lot of people associate it with Gundam.

No, it really isn't, it's just more lucrative.
Shit like Eva and Dragon Ball are way more prolific even among people who don't know what an anny may is.

>NGE is bigger than Gundam
>In Japan

RETAAAARDEDDD

The only happened to Garnet because she was hit with a destabilizer

ITT: /m/ gets triggered by pleb tastes.

/m/ is pleb taste central. Especially the tokufags

You're kidding right.
Gundam is far more popular/known than NGE.

Off of what reality do you come from? Do you know that Gundam is pretty much considered a national treasure in Japan?

But I really liked W. It was fun.

Says the Sup Forums-poster.

Not bigger than UC Gundam but it is bigger than Gundam 00. All Gundams aren't the same.
No the screencap and comment was specifically about Gundam 00 you can't just say you meant all Gundams even then NGE is about on the same level as Gundam. Even in japan, you might not like NGE but it's pretty huge.

I'm more mad that they're sideling Peridot to live in the barn so we wont see her as much as the other CG despite all that development.

I'm not saying toku is bad. W is one of my favorite shows. But some of the tokufags there really dicksuck the newest show because it's what's on now and almost never discuss anything past 2000s.