Sup Forums, i know you hate tumblr-style comics, but can you say, why? Is it the certain primitivism, red noses...

Sup Forums, i know you hate tumblr-style comics, but can you say, why? Is it the certain primitivism, red noses, the attitude of the community or what else?
How should it be drawn right, in your opinion?

Artistic laziness.

Facial expression? Hands? Could you point out?

This. Now GTFO.

tumblr has a lot of different styles.

But pretty much all of them look at least a little inspired by Brian Lee O'malley, either directly or through other artists inspired by him.

I don't like a lot of "tumblr styles" because they feel saccharine to me. A lot of cutesy shit that doesn't feel genuine.

This. It's especially jarring when people try to use it for a storytelling style it's unsuited for. Say you want to portray a badass character, and there he is with his red nose and noodly limbs. It can't be done.

The style itself is OK. It's just another application of contrast and shading. However, a lot of these artists plateau and use it for EVERYTHING. There's this "how to draw a character according to Tumblr" which is just painfully accurate. Given that it was made in response to a Tumblr image saying "how to draw a woman according to men" just drives home the point.

I dislike most webcomics because in general they're just not that creative or well written.
The fact that readers are suckers for hamfisted politics, shitty referential humor, waifus and cutesy shit doesn't help.

I probably couldn't tell if something is from tumblr, besides possibly the red nose thing, although I doubt that's entirely exclusive to tumblr.

I think the main problem is...

>I dislike most webcomics because in general they're just not that creative or well written.
You really could say this about any medium ever.

But so far webcomics lack the device where wheat is very clearly, very FAIRLY separated from chaff.

So people have to go hunting on their own, and for your average person this is very exhausting, very jading.

One sympathizes. But webcomics are no better or worse than other mediums.

Bullshit. The best webcomics I've read are basically on the level of the most trashy regular comics, writing wise.
None of them can write dialogue for shit.

Shit, you've got me man. I am a fraud and you win.

Webcomics have a magic curse cast over them by a dark wizard. You've blown this ruse wide open and the world will never be the same.

They can't be good. One would sooner rewrite the laws of physics. I hope one day you can possibly forgive me for my arrogance, zeal and stupidity.

Honestly? When it comes to artistic skills only, I've seen tumblr artists who are pretty good, yet their work annoys me because in some way, they just all look alike. I can't really describe in what way though, it has to be some mixture of noodle limbs, lazily scribbled hands, bright colors, red noses and a "cutesy" style overall. Their drawings aren't "bad", but for me, they're just boring to look at.

When it comes to writing, it's even worse because the majority of tumblr artist share the same political ideology that they love to drag into their comics. You instantly know which characters are going to "win" from the political shit they spout, so what's the point of reading further? Tumblr also seems to think that making characters part of oppressed minorities automatically makes them more interesting which leads to incredibly lazy characterization.

But it's important to mention that when I talk about tumblr artists, I mean those that create stuff most people would describe as "tumblr art", not every artist who just happens to have a tumblr. There are people who post their work on tumblr, yet their art doesn't look tumblr at all. I also wouldn't say that all webcomics are shit because I've read some that I genuinely enjoyed, they're just incredibly hard to find.

I don't mind the red nose artstyle if there's a good focus on detail of everything. Like the comic you posted, I love it when artists make detailed clothing. It successfully distracts me from the under-detailed faces and digits.

I don't like how many artists there change their styles to mímic shows that are CURRENTLY popular, even more because some times it destroy their own take.

With SU for example, you has a lot of people suddenly using boring or puff hair (of Connie, Steven and Stevonnie) and lampreia lips ( like amethist and arnet) for EVERYTHING, without considering the some styles are better suited for different things. It is too obvious that the artist is just coming the style of the show that he likes, even if it means not properly trying to develop their own or shitting on their previous better works.

Pic not related.

"tumblr-style" is a pejorative term.
There's nothing really wrong with it, it's just oversaturated and cutesy anime-esque shit isn't my thing.

No one here actually hates "tumblr" style comics. If pressed, they could give you nothing more than vague bullshit about what exactly constitutes a "tumblr" comic, and that's the point - the definition is intended to be vague, so it can expand as needed to include anything they dislike.

The fact is that after years of being the bogeyman for retards, Sup Forums's decided that tumblr is going to be the bogeyman for them.

Dumbest comments of the day. Congrats, user.

Anime-esque

This is more DA than tumblr.

Tumblr is more SU, AT and Scott Pilgrim

I'm not sure it's a deliberate 'I'm going to copy it because it's popular so then I will be popular thing' I think it's because they see it so often at the time it sticks in their head. They might just like how a certain style draws smiles and wants to integrate it. It's nothing new.

Really I think how harshly it should be judged depends on who the artist is and what it is for. If it was one comic that was changing constantly to fit in where the artist is a 'professional' I can see it being annoying but if it's just someones personal stuff they're doing for fun and playing around I don't think it's a problem.

>"Sooooo quirky~"
This is my biggest peeve with the "tumblr-style". It's like the writing-equivalent of that guy at social gatherings that can only talk about how much booze he drinks; most people have probably done the same at varying degrees and, frankly, nobody really cares. How come it's so prevalent in the humor, writing and, hell, even the culture that surrounds the tumblr community is beyond me.

What makes it worse is, in their attempts at being unique and quirky, they just end up doing the same thing for some reason. Most of these works just come off as cute, but creatively stale.

The worst part is

I'd still fuck most of the characters from that style of comic.

I don't have much of an idea what constitutes as "quirky" in this context...examples?

What, this kind of style?
Also, the artist can actually draw anatomy, but most of the time she doesn't.

No, wait, I meant 'further elaboration'. Sorry.

>"how to draw a character according to Tumblr"
>"how to draw a woman according to men"
Links? My google-fu sucks today.

It's difficult to put into words... It seems to me that there's this constant attempt at trying to be different and unique that is pervasive in both the personality and design of many of these characters associated with this style.

In terms of character design, there's the infamous hairstyles, the fascination with body hair, skin flaws and fat, the weird trend of drawing characters as minorities when they are not.

The characters that are associated with this style are often "socially awkward" and "nerdy", but in a cute, cooky sort of way. Enough to be unique, social outcasts, but usually not to the point of being uncomfortable or repulsive. The humor generally revolves around these minor, neglectable quirks, often in a SoL setting.

The problem is that none of this ever really feels genuine, or more than a passing fad. The fact that so many artists there seem to share the same hivemind and that each of these fads spread so quickly only makes the whole deal more irksome.

Big cute-ish eyes, exaggerated, but simplified facial expressions, think Adventure Time, Over the Garden Wall, Star vs. Forces of Evil, such as.

It's essentially the modern amateur weeb artist.
Nothing wrong with it as a style, since it's not really a style I feel. It's just come to be associated with the horrors of amateur artists and professional hacks.

Probably means this

>i know you hate tumblr-style comics, but can you say, why?

It's not so much the style itself, it's just the fact that too many artists seem to use it, and use it for the wrong types of stories/writing.

It's too much of a coincidence that this is what their personal style formed to, and that they active tumblr.

>How should it be drawn right, in your opinion?

However the artist draws it of course, so if it happens to be tumblr style fine, just find the right types of story/content that style can compliment, not just what other tumblr tards are doing.

This same problem can be attributed to pixiv as well, but at least their style matches the content.

I'll admit this happens to me. I started drawing hair a bit more similar to that show. Mostly messy hair like Amethyst and Jasper. Although I also borrow a lot from 80s toriyama.

I loke stories, and most tumblr-like works of fiction prioritizes Diversity™ and Representation of the minority du jour above actually telling a good, coherent story. And if ypu criticize anything, that makes you a bigot and transhomoqueerstereophotoendocatamysophobe.

Wrong type of stories, like QDB Illustrated or the usual liberty-gone-too-far cringe thread stuff?

Well, that makes them the thing they are supposed to fight - to see a cute cartoonish character spouting (showing it down your throat) some neoliberal rubbish sure is annoying.

>QDB Illustrated

I don't particularly know what that is.

>liberty-gone-too-far cringe thread stuff
Maybe it's my art classes talking to me but it's more of the fact that tumblr art lacks content, it's style is too generic unless you do something beyond the 'lol funy comis'.

The strips posted here are picked illustrated IRC and IRL quotes from a russian Quote DataBase (similar of bash.org), so they are loose.
You are right about the generic style, though. It has the simplicity that is easy to draw (without too much effort)

are you trying to tell me that Steven Universe and Scott Pilgrim aren't anime influenced