Borg Spies

Has there been any material in Star Trek media that talks about the Borg having any kind of espionage agents?
Something like Borg units with minimal/hidden implants who would infiltrate society to prepare a species for assimilation when they arrive

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N75XngwbZQY
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Paradise_Lost_(episode)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Doesn't seem very borg-like to me

>implying they need spies
>Implying they don't just assimilate everything
>Implying they care about small things like troop movements or internal politics to disrupt
>Implying implications

this, why have spies when they can just do what they did with Picard

>transports behind you
>kidnaps and assimilates you
>knows everything you did

The Borg are a collectivist hivemind juggernaut. Any Borg capable of acting as an individual would not be Borg

The Borg have assimilated a wide variety surveillance technologies but don't use them because of the inherent dangers of information overload. Watch "The Voyager Conspiracy."

This is probably how the Borg originated in the first place, as a cosmic-scale intelligence gathering program (technological/biological/cultural) that would automatically adapt gathered intelligence to improve its gathering function but not actually process it in any comprehensive manner.

>*transports behind you*
>*injects you with nanoprobes*
>"Heh.........nothin personnel, Species 5618

The Borg most likely evolved from a grey-goo type situation considering they use nanoprobes

No, they assimilated varying sophistications of nano-probe technology from other species through the TNG era. Notice how they never use microtubules in TNG and it takes several drones with large handheld machinery to assimilate Picard.

>I am Locutus of Borg

If you watch the clip, the drone clearly injects him with something before beaming him out. This was like the prototype nanoprobe delivery mechanism.

youtube.com/watch?v=N75XngwbZQY

Amino acids dude

What's the point of this image?

Those parasite aliens that possessed some Starfleet General that Picard had to kill were originally meant to be precursers of the Borg, sent to infiltrate and recon. The episode ended with the dead alien sending a signal to some distant quadrant of the galaxy.

But when they made the Borg what they are (CGI was too expensive) instead, they dropped that angle and had Q introduce them instead.

>The original version of the script did not feature alien parasites; the conspiracy in question was simply a military coup within Starfleet, Gene Roddenberry vehemently opposed such an idea, since he believed Starfleet would never stoop to such methods; there was just no way Tormé could get away with suggesting that the Federation was anything less than a perfect government. Thus the alien angle was introduced at his insistence.

Man, Roddenberry dying was the best thing that ever happened to Star Trek

Fucking commie

>waaaah why isn't every show about bad humans being always and forever shit
>we should never have a show that has a positive, somewhat even naive at times, outlook on humans

found the DS9 fan

He was right though. It's stupid how cartoonishly evil the Admirals always were compared to the virtuous, moral captains and people on the front lines. The corrupt admiral plot got so old, so fast. Section 31 was way more interesting because it was way more believable.

Fuck of granddad,

I'm a TOS fan, actually.

Go read some behind-the-scenes books. After leaving at the end of TOS season 2, Gene becomes the villain of Star Trek.

>wtf I love Michael Piller and Ira Steven Behr now

That's the second book. The first book is
>wtf I love Gene Coon, Dorothy Fontana and Harve Bennett now

>unauthorized

Sounds legit

Unauthorized means that it can actually tell the truth, instead of just pushing the "official" narrative that CBS and Paramount maintain.

It's an oral history, meaning that it consists of direct quotes from the people who made Star Trek.

You might have seen this excerpt floating around before.

I still wonder how much of that is really true, and how much of it is just a hitpiece on Rick Berman from Terry Ferrell. She's such a stuck up bitch IRL I really wouldn't put it past her, this is total he said she said territory. Especially since none of the writers or anyone else backs this up, or seemed to know that it was going on.

>oral
>unauthorized

woah, it must be true then
it can be so easily verified too

>Terry Ferrell. She's such a stuck up bitch IRL

Nice nips tho

>Especially since none of the writers or anyone else backs this up
Ira Steven Behr backs it up. Or at least, he says that he believes Terry more than he believes Rick.

Yeah that's not backing it up or confirming it, he's just siding with her. He explicitly says in that excerpt that he had no idea it was going on behind the scenes. I would believe it more if Brannon Braga or even Rene Eschevarra were quoted saying "yeah that happened", but as it stands right now it's Terry vs. Rick.

Brannon Braga didn't work on DS9.

So has anybody ever disputed what's in it, or are you arguing against it because you just like to argue?

A fact for which DS9 fans are eternally graceful.

>cartoonishly evil
>wanting to impliment some kind, any kind of security measures
>currently in cold war with species that can literally be anything
Admiral Leyton did nothing wrong.

I actually just watched this two parter last night. I have to admit it was comically hilarious how completely unprotected Earth was.

The changeling test for O'Brien is to show him a picture of Keiko. If he winces in pain, that's the real O'Brien.

>trying to instigate a military coup of the federation, oust the president and install a military junta style dictatorship
The security measures were fine, everything else was cartoonishly evil.

What sort of dick would attack Earth?

I always loved the art direction in that scene, the dark backdrop with the searchlights, the tonal lighting on their faces, it's just wonderful. Other than Civil Defense, I can't say as any of the others in Reza Badiyi's list stand out to me:

>Civil Defense
>Past Tense, Part I
>Life Support
>Visionary
>Paradise Lost

He didn't try any of those things, have you even watched the show?

>attack earth
>some federation ship just has to use the slingshot meme effect from TOS to go back in time and fix everything

literally no problem at all

>slingshot time travel
>bullshit reset button for an episode
>by the 4th movie it's apparently common practice and the Fed are using it for routine hippy missions

LOL are you fucking retarded? That's the literal plot of the admiral in that two parter. He's not happy with the Federation President's concessions, so he gets his loyal officers promoted to ships, hatches a plan to instate Starfleet rule of the Federation, with him as acting president. It's Emperor Palpatine shit.

there was also another TOS episode where they go back in time just to study a certain historical event and they meet an alien guy that works for other aliens and has to protect humanity and is followed by a black cat that is actually a lady

He very carefully staged a false flag which got the Federation to implement the security procedures he recommended, he never tried to oust the president because he didn't need to. He was just protecting Earth, not trying to rule it.

You really need to watch it again bud, I watched it literally last night. The false flag was to get the public behind him when he springs the coup for Starfleet rule of Earth/Federation.

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Paradise_Lost_(episode)

>Sisko is sent back to Starfleet Headquarters and placed in detention, and from the other side of his holding cell's force field, Leyton promises that Sisko will be freed in a few days after the President's speech... or rather, after Leyton's speech. He intends to remove Jaresh-Inyo from office and take control of Earth himself for however long it takes to eliminate the Changeling threat – years if necessary. Sisko knows that once Leyton seizes power, he'll likely never give it up.

>"The president won't be making his speech tomorrow Benjamin"

Earlier in the episode Sisko takes a briefcase in to his meeting with the President. That briefcase later turns out to be Odo, who apologises for interrupting the meeting but explains why his dramatic entrance proved Sisko's argument about security.

Layton's false flag was just what Sisko and Odo did, writ large.

I hate TOS.

I hate you Shatner.