Overwatch Animated Short: Dragons

youtube.com/watch?v=5w2-3Dn9PGg

Third animated short from Blizzard. This one stars Genji and Hanzo.

Overwatch manages to hammer every single cliche in the book, but in a way that's both charming and enjoyable. I don't know how they do it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RnNOa1cQgBc
youtube.com/watch?v=U130wnpi-C0
youtube.com/watch?v=sB5zlHMsM7k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ching chong bing bong honor honor honor. There I just saved you 7 minutes.

Thanks senpai

>forgetting DRAGONS, DRAGONS, MUH FORGIVENESS, and HURR YOU DIED
But, yeah, there was way to much "muh honor".

Counterpoint: Dragons and Honor are good as hell.

At least it´s not as bad as Widowmakers monologue about what weird things she was told about spiders as a kid.

>another short
>not using Mei, Pharah or even Mercy
it's like you don't even know why people are buying this game Blizzard

Soldier 76 is the best Overwatch character and he's getting a short, sorry to tell you this.

Fuck you naysayers shit was awesome, best short yet.

Where are the other two?

I thought for sure that they'd explain Hanzo's Ult as some kind of advanced hyper tech, turns out it really is just Magic Dragons.

I wonder if we'll get like a legitimate Mage character afterall.

>ninja fight with honor speak
>anymore complicated than what those two posts said
It's better than the shit piles of the last two, I'll give you that.

This was made before the short came out.
It's scary how accurate it was.
youtube.com/watch?v=RnNOa1cQgBc

youtube.com/watch?v=U130wnpi-C0

youtube.com/watch?v=sB5zlHMsM7k

>I wonder if we'll get like a legitimate Mage character afterall.
It'll be a fat Shimada brother who actively pursues the criminal lifestyle and he's a support character.

Then there'll be a skinny tall Shimada sister who struts around in giant Samurai robot armor as a tank.

pls no. 2 weeaboo characters is already too many.

>Hanzo takes out some goons
>Hanzo and Genji fight
>Hanzo uses his Ult

Blizzard is fairly predictable, but come on. Everyone knows these movies are mostly just to showcase cool fights.

>Medivh tears open a portal from Azeroth to Earth
>Joins the roster

I secretly want something really fucking stupid like this to happen.

I'm sure he's just trying to warn us not to watch the warcraft movie.

It could be good

We're all soldiers now.

>I don't know how they do it.
It's not like this hasn't been done before. I can think of a bunch of examples right off the bat.

>Hanzo has two strips in his hair, and fires two dragons
>Genji has one strip and fires one dragon
Pottery, like sake in the wind

Probably not though.

The action scenes look real good. Everything else...

>mfw full lobby of Soldier 76's
i hope the game is as fun as the beta was.

>And Hanzo's gonna be like, 'Man, fuck you.'

Man, I like the game, but I just couldn't give a fuck about the characters or setting. It feels way too much like they just had a meeting and were like
>So, what kind of things do people like?
>Ninjas!
>If there's a ninja, we have to have a samurai.
>Cowboys are better.
>Everyone loves monkeys.
>Robots. We can do a couple different kinds.
>Mad Max did pretty well last year. Maybe we can have some post apocalyptic Australians.
>...Does that really work with the setting we have ri-
>Waifus!
>Ooh, I like that. What kind of waifus?
>...Timid? In a baggy parka?
>Very Velma. What else?
>Spunky Girl, Muscle Girl, Gamer Girl, Femme Fatale.
>Good work. Tomorrow, Lets try to work in any ethnicities we're missing.

>Real life is not like the stories our father told us!

I really like that for some reason.

Local man predicts future

That was the actual thought process of character designs in overwatch I hear.

These shorts have great production values, are long enough that they have plenty of time to make us care about the characters and their world, yet they are so fucking bland.

Everything about this game makes it feel like the marketing team was in charge of writing and design instead of actual writers and designers.

I'm an easy man to please. As long as I get some qt's with nice butts, I'm happy.

The scary thing is it seems to work pretty well.

How much story do you need for a competitive shooter?

Not much, given how successful Team Fortress 2 was, and still sort of is.

If TF2 is any indication, a small amount, with a vague setting and simple characters so people can project whatever the hell they want on it.

And I'm 100% cool with this. I'm a little discomforted with the popularity of Overwatch and that they're kind of aiming for the tumblr, 'person who claims they're such a hardcore nerd but really aren't' crowd, but shit, it looks like a fun game and at least it TRIES to be more than just 'Generic FPS Game #4546577'.

At least the characters have more personality and are more memorable than most other FPS protagonists.

It's mind boggling how such high production values would be used on some of the cheesiest writing ever.

>And I'm 100% cool with this.
>Only I'm not, here's why.

You don't NEED any. I just find it depressing when a company spends hundreds of millions of dollars to develop a game and decides that hiring an actual writer isn't worth it.

The characters are the best part about this game though.

I bet you think Senran games are the best thing ever.

What do you think a professional writer could have done differently? Overwatch is just fun, gimmicky characters in cartoon stereotype land.

It has more to do with the people who like Overwatch, honestly. They're like the people who 'LOOOOVE' video games because they've played Skyrim, right?

Not the best ever, but fun enough time killers.

A bit more if you want to put such a heavy focus on your characters. They could have gone 'Dirty Bomb' and just gave different class mechanics to specific named characters.; But the fact that they actually take the time to create back stories for each character, the setting, and their motivations, then toss it all out the window when they fight/kill each other over a bomb in some-random-place-istan feels like there is a disconnect somewhere and it is a major turn off for me.

It just feels like someone poured so much time and effort into making a meal that was delicious and had many complex flavors, then someone else came along and dumped a bag of doritos on the whole thing.

No, but I do think Miyabi is best girl.

It does feel that way.

They're fun, but... I dunno. Maybe I'm just being a pretentious asshole, but it feels like they lack depth. They're all just cliches that were obviously chosen to have as wide an appeal as possible, rather than any artistic or creative direction.

And in any case,
>have more personality and are more memorable than most other FPS protagonists.
is setting the bar really fucking low.

Maybe I'll change my mind once more secondary material comes out, but I doubt it.

I have heard this a couple times now from different people and I just do not understand it. It is a multiplayer fps. The lore stuff is just extra.

>This wasn’t so much about being like “Look at me, I’m real good at telling the future” and more of, “Please help me give a shit about this game and it’s characters. I was really excited for it, and you continue to dash my hopes of any of these assholes being interesting.”

This desu

kura waga teki go fuck yourself

So why bother putting so much effort into it? It feels like a waste to get people so invested in the game's backstory only so you have to ignore it when you play.

Hell even TF2 acknowledges the backstory of characters in game the way mercenaries work off each other, or even new maps that correspond to comics/movies made outside the game.

The only things he got right were the two brothers fighting which anyone could fucking predict. The setting and other shit he got from the trailer a few months back. He's not Nostradamus or anything.

>Setting is modern cape comics look a like
>Sup Forums is shocked the writting is pretty much 101 cape comics

>murloc ramen

>They're fun, but... I dunno. Maybe I'm just being a pretentious asshole, but it feels like they lack depth. They're all just cliches that were obviously chosen to have as wide an appeal as possible, rather than any artistic or creative direction.
They're like fighting game characters. They're meant to be as ostentatious and eye-catching as possible, essentially being as memorable as a character can possibly be with as little character depth as possible. They're designed to make you want to play them and maybe not so much that they might be deep, complicated, conflicted characters.

And that's fine.

Speaking of, it's kinda bullshit how SFV launched with about as much content as Overwatch, but people bitched and complained about the lack of SP in SFV. I guess since Overwatch is a FPS, it just gets a free pass by the West then.

He was still pretty painfully close to how it played out, down to the suits doing crime stuff, the honor bomb, and Hanzo going 'fuck you'.

>Overwatch has more characters than launch SFV

SFV was a fucking train wreck.

>Danger Doom beat in the back

Damn...

It's not just in how expensive it looks, either. The framing, the cinematography, the way everything is animated, the visual storytelling, all of it is great.

It's just that the stories themselves have zero thought going into them.

>Suits doing crime stuff
They were guarding their compound.
>Honor bomb
Paying respects to your dead brother is a honor bomb?
>Hanzo going fuck you
It ends with Hanzo considering the words of his brother. He does say what essentially is "fuck you" only for Genji to make him rethink that.

Genji has the last word.

So is Hanzo the only character (aside from Reaper, Widowmaker, and the two Aussies) who isn't part of Team Overwatch?

I feel the game needs a few more villains or neutrals if that's the case.

>Sup Forums complains about bland writing in Overwatch
>loves cheesy Marvel movies

What, all he got right was that they were gonna fight which was obvious and the setting due to it being a map.

No, that's one of the main point of contention with Overwatch. People say it is the best, then other point out there is no single player.

It's free pass isn't because it's an FPS. It gets a free pass because
1) Abundance of ass for sweatgoblins like 2)It's Blizzard so it has a rabid fanbase. The devs could shit in a bag, call it a game and it would still sell a million copies with glowing reviews.

People expect finished games and working servers for 60$. Who knew?

Neither Symmetra nor Lucio are from Overwatch.

Symmetra is even a anti-villain I hope they develop more.

why would you showcase the story in a game that doesn't have a story, or even a consistent theme

they're trying hard to make a fps imitation but dota 2 and league of legends have more interesting characters

>SFV was a fucking train wreck.
The only people who seem to think this are people who don't play Street Fighter or fighting games in general. They wanted to release it for the FGC, which hurt them in the end, b/c they didn't get those sweet casual sales.

The game itself is fine. I think all said and done, all the doom and gloom will be proven untrue once more content comes on the way and people slowly start to buy it more once it's more complete.

We expect it in Marvel. Overwatch is coming from the same people that made Warcraft and Diablo. So that means they have some people in there who know how to make an interesting story. Where the hell are they?

>expecting Sup Forums to not slurp up MCU dick

isn;t the game 40 USD?

>Where the hell are they?
The Frozen Throne was 13 years ago, user.

I do play fighting games, something I couldn't do with SFV servers back on release user.

I think I like Tf2's approach to lore as not really having one and letting the fans fill it in.

Doesn't really answer where they went? Were they sacrificed to Satan for high sales or what?

Wasn't that bad. And I didn't even play Overwatch.

There will probably be expansions and new game modes that add to the lore. They probably just wanted to get the game out there as fast as possible.

Either that or they just moved companies like normal people do. People don't tend to work at the same company all their life.

TF2 knows what it is, and has fun with it. Overwatch is Mad Max meets The Matrix meets Pacific Rim meets Yakuza, and instead of being a parody poking fun at all the cliches it's working with, it's trying to be a serious story.

thats what the nexus is in heroes of the storm. all of the blizzard ip's are there and medivh is being added soon

Alright fine, the netcode does suck.

But it's fundamentally a great fighting game, even better than SFIV in some areas.

Though Capcom could do better with the release of the DLC characters. How about character trailers and release dates before the day they come out?

So who's gonna be your main?

Blizzard animations have always been good. Go back to Warcraft with Thrall and Grom killing Mannoroth.

Eh I don't think Overwatch takes itself too seriously. Have you heard the characters in game quotes?

Not him. By far the most useless hero in the game.

It might be reference to the seriousness portrayed in the shorts. Especially Widomaker's where it pulls a 180 and goes from light hearted action, to edgy.

Not quite as bad as Loss, but in the same vein. It just leaves people confused. Some think it's fine, others not so much.

LOL dude this is great

Well, it has a few moments of drama and compared to TF2's outright comedy I suppose it's more serious, but it knows it's cheesy superhero action at the end of the day.

I didn't play the Beta, but I always aim to main the British character if there is one. So Tracer and her internet breaking ass.

>It just leaves people confused. Some think it's fine, others not so much.
So basically it has MCU syndrome.

Essentially yeah.

Which makes "Alive" feel even more out of place.

Nah, it's not serious at all. It's pretty tongue in cheek and over-the-top. Even this short was almost parodic in nature.

Winston is really good senpai. In the running for best tank. Your goal is disruption not kills

Villians killing people is hardly out of place in cheesy action films.