What the fuck happened to plot integrity in scriptwriting...

What the fuck happened to plot integrity in scriptwriting? Every recent blockbuster has been full of incredibly stupid plotholes not even present in Indie films.

>Rogue one was like a massive plot hole/incredible show of incompetence from the empire
>Logan: "these kids have to die! lol but lets not shoot them as soon as we have them on sight"
And more recently Alien covenant:
How the fuck did blonde David manage to replace brunette Walther? Why didn't he have the visible hole from being stabbed by a giant nail (we know David doesn't regen like Walther did) and why did the crew think that changing course to a completely uncharted planet instead of a mission that was planned for decades was a good idea?

It feels as if they're getting lazy on purpose

>Rogue one was like a massive plot hole/incredible show of incompetence from the empire
like what?

>The empire decides to blow up an entire planet which belonged to them to "test fire" their weapon, killing thousands if not hundreds of thousands loyal imperial citizens, destroying a fuckload of equipment worth who knows how many million credits, destroying an entire logistical chain of supplies, all that for a weapon that could have been tested ANYWHERE ELSE.

The guys even argue that they have to test it on the city to see its "destructive capabilities"; bitch, if the weapon could crack a planet, what made them think ANY city could survive? Literally all they had to do was test it on some big asteroid or barren planet. Its extremely stupid for an empire that's already struggling with a rebellion to further alienate its citizens by showing them that they don't give a rat's ass if they're imperial citizens, they can still kill them in any moment for shits and giggles.

Also having every major document stored on one poorly defended planet.

Jyn going all autismos after Cassian tries to kill her father, trying to say that he's no better than the empire, despite Cassian being 100% justified to attempt the assassination.

And lastly on the final battle we see like 20 redshirts in total but the empire ends up killing like 600

And forgot to mention how Saw Gerrera, a major leader who could actually shift the tide of the war, decides to stay behind to die because "he doesn't want to run anymore!" despite the thing he is running from is a literal explosion.

His death was a major punch in the gut for the rebellion, and yet he claimed he wanted the rebellion to succeed

>almost the entire first SW movie is about the stolen Death star plans...Disney suckers fans into seeing a movie about the same stolen plans.

Too much meddling.

>>Logan: "these kids have to die! lol but lets not shoot them as soon as we have them on sight"

also "don't shoot, they can heal!" then they continue to use guns and get into close range for the rest of the movie

But the kids don't have to die in Logan. What the fuck are you talking about? Are you a fucking retard?

Fucker could barely walk. He realized he would get everyone killed if they tried to get him out.

I was gonna make this thread, but you did it first. Yeah, I don't know what the fuck is going on in Hollywood. They spend hundreds of millions on these blockbusters, but the screenplays seem like first drafts written by committee, thrown out, then fished out of the garbage can for lack of anything better.

What
The
Fuck

They realised you don't need to have a tight script if every movie doesn't have a tight script. What are audiences going to do? Stop watching blockbusters? lol

>Explicitly say they have to die
>"UHhhh they don't have to die!"

So he should have said "Shit Jyn, look at my leg, I can't walk, I'd just drag you down!"

Instead of

"AYY LMAO KNOW WHAT IMMA STAY RIGHT HERE FOR NO REASON AT ALL"

movies stopped being art and became consumer goods.

Audiences don't care anymore because their standards are too low. It's like how Trump won.

You're really grasping at straws here.

They wanted to test to see if it could crack a planet, so they cracked a planet.

The planet with the plans was highly defended and the rebels barely made it out after throwing everything they had at it.

A person would be 100% in euthanizing your retarded ass, but I'll bet you'd protest against it.

There are a couple dozen or so troops in the initial attack, but it also clearly shows reinforcements arriving, pay more attention next time.

D-did you watch the movie m8?

The nurse makes a video explicitly saying they were cancelling the program and killing all the kids because X-24 was a better, more controllable weapon and the kids wouldn't serve their purpose.

The video even shows them dragging some of the kids, strapping them on tables and injecting them with some shit while the nurse says "They were putting them to sleep!"

And then Don Pierce says that the kids are liabilities and they all need to be terminated to avoid exposing the company.. Which movie did you watch?

So you're saying you need to be spoon fed and have all the characters explain what they're thinking at all times.

Because the redditor indie filmmakers are starting to get jobs in real movies and fucking them completely up.

>They wanted to test to see if it could crack a planet, so they cracked a planet.

Nice job avoiding the important part of my argument: A planet they controlled, which was full of Imperial soldiers and Imperial citizens. I believe they even say near the first scenes on the planet that the planet has a very high logistic value for the war effort.

They also say they want to test its DESTRUCTIVE CAPABILITIES ON THE CITY, they shot the beam straight at the city remember? Its absolutely retarded to say they need to see how a city would react if they knew the beam evaporates the ENTIRE planet.

>The planet with the plans was highly defended and the rebels barely made it out after throwing everything they had at it.

It wasn't, it was some rag tag group, not even the entire rebel army, just a very small force. And the planet itself (on the ground) was terribly defended, completely isolated outposts, no regular patrols, a bunch of jungle/lush around these outposts (So it was extremely easy to be concealed), ill defended generators and a bunch of other defense nightmares.

>A person would be 100% in euthanizing your retarded ass, but I'll bet you'd protest against it.

Completely missed the point again. The point of the scene was to make Cassian look like a bad guy because he wanted to execute "a good guy" for the sake of his cause. But to Cassian's knowledge, Galen was no good guy. This is even a major plot point in the film: Galen was balls deep into the Empire hierarchy, he PRETENDED to be a bad guy to stay alive and sabotage the star and absolutely NO ONE knew about this, not even the rebels. he also spread the rumor that he was essential to the construction of the DS. So for all Cassian knew, he was actually doing a major service to the galaxy by killing him, like literally no different from killing Hitler before he could start WW2.

>There are a couple dozen or so troops in the initial attack, but it also clearly shows reinforcements arriving, pay more attention next time.

There were 0 ground reinforcements made, the rebel fleet consisted on X-wing fighters and the cruisers, no land transports. We still see like 100 ground forces dying, despite seeing just 20-30 tops deploying

>Thread about the integrity and quality of scriptwriting
>"UHH YOU'RE SAYING YOU WANT GOOD COHERENT SCRIPTS? THATS FOR RETARDS!"

>How the fuck did blonde David manage to replace brunette Walther?
The reasonable explaination is that david's hair is dyed. In the opening where David talks to weyland, his hair is the same as Walters. During prometheus he styles his hair after lawrence of arabia, it is possible that he dyes it as well. (although why the prometheus would have a 70 year supply of blonde hair dye is beyond me, either that, or he can control the melanin in his hair.)

>why did the crew think that changing course to a completely uncharted planet instead of a mission that was planned for decades was a good idea?
They spend the first act explaining it. Characters make bad decisions throughout alien. At least unlike prometheus, they're not doing things that just don't make any sense.

Plot integrity has gone to shit. Consider jurassic world:
>oh no, the indomitus rex which can camoflage itself doesn't appear to be in it's cage! I better check the GPS system to see where it is.
>good idea! I'll go inside the cage to see what happened.
surprise! it's in the cage with you! Camoflaged! like we JUST TALKED ABOUT.

It's even worse when people defend glaring plot holes and out of character behavior based on the logic that fiction is like real life and everything makes sense even if we don't understand it.

>incompetence doesn't exist in real life
It's a metaphor brainlet

Question about script writing.

Should I write in the details of my scene? In terms of illumination, production design, costumes, props... How much detail should go into it?

Or should I just leave that ambiguously and work on that in the pre-production stages of my film with the different heads of department?

Mostly the latter.

Include details that add to the character of your script. Don't include details that detract from the reading of it.

If you still don't know, go read some scripts.

>How the fuck did blonde David manage to replace brunette Walther?
Davids hair is brown, he dyed it blonde and it grew out

>Why didn't he have the visible hole from being stabbed by a giant nail (we know David doesn't regen like Walther did)
It is implied that David used the reconstructive putty they were using on the guys face to cover the wound

>why did the crew think that changing course to a completely uncharted planet instead of a mission that was planned for decades was a good idea?
They didn't, Daniels clearly states its a bad idea but is overrulled. Also nobody wanted to go back in the pod because they just watched their captain get incinerated. They felt it was their duty to at least explore the human signal coming from the unchartered planet

Why are so many people struggling to understand these movies. Does everything need to be spoonfed now? Just because you dont pay attention doesnt mean the plot is bad

That's what happens when you have a committee of suits sitting on their heavenly thrones constantly telling the filmmakers to change shit based on what they think will or will not sell more tickets and constantly changing their mind about it so they never actually come to a consensus on a single tone or cohesive plotline and leave the editors to salvage what they can until they just give up and rush it out the door to finally be done with it.

Goddamn. Ok fine. Thanks.

>studio executives in meeting
>looks across table to intern
>"which franchises haven't we used lately?"
>"aliens"
>"ok, i got the perfect guy, call riddley scott"
>*phone rings*
>"hi do u want to make a new aliens blockbuster? i will give u $150 million to make it"
>"ok sure, who will help me write it?"
>"some anti-white so-called jew, don't worry he will put anti-christian and anti-white messages in the script, and some illogical black/white racemixing scenes"
>"ok see u on monday"
>"so this new movie, let's think up some script"
>"ok so it turns out christianity is a lie, made up because some evil white engineers came to earth, yadda yadda wheat grows everywhere, life is not special"
>"cool, ok. how many of the white characters can we make emotionless, cold and calculating robots?"
>"well we can make an aryan android who only dates black females, and a cold white bitch who sleeps with a brave black captain to prove shes not a robot"
>"man this is awesome, it's going to make a billion, lets start filming first and finish the writing as we go along"

Mind helping me out with something else? Where can I find a good glossary on screen writing terms and abbreviations?

I'm checking out Pulp Fiction's script and it reads:

PULP [pulp] n.

Why would it be written that way?

an old friend of mine told me its because they monopolized the theatres