What would you do if you were in his situation?

What would you do if you were in his situation?
You can't just hide away on your own because then all of the others could get infected and eventually gang up on you and escape into the world.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/5pbvvotr
youtu.be/QAoONl2P8fw
youtube.com/watch?v=g4bz63cTfO4
youtube.com/watch?v=d2R-K0vl94s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poole_versus_HAL_9000
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_Game
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'd teach it how to love

Burn everyone and everything

This desu. The fate of every living creature is at stake.

visit the barber

>not liking the long hair plus beard combo

cutting hair could be fatal in middle of snow

Freak the fuck out. Kill everybody. Suicide and write a note or something about what happened here.

he (Mac) was the thing, he tricked everyone into blowing up the camp so he could freeze.

this is fact to anyone with common sense.

In a stressful situation, anything can be the truth.

The only time window in which we don't follow him and he might have gotten infected without us knowing is while he was out freezing.
Right after that he takes a test, which seems to work since it reveals at least one under disguise thing.
Other than a few (You)s disproving you, what else do you get out of making false statements so arrogantly?

Childs was probably the Thing. Also this is one of the greatest films ever made.

Mac(thing) succeeded in surviving by tricking the humans into blowing up the camp. if you and others can't see it like that i'm so sorry for you.

mac and or childs are things. sorry to break it to you.

i think Mac is but was never sure about childs

Don't mind me, just responding so you will again waste time repeating what you said, providing no evidence to back your opinion.

>the narrative is about killing all of the monsters pretending to be your friends
>teenagers 40 years in the future think it's actually about how Macready was a Thing the whole time
??????? Stop making these threads worse.

I would have just killed them all, honestly.

mac(thing) was rounding them all up to change.
thing cant change dead tissue.

"not that thing, it wants to freeze"
>exactly

Every single cell of the thing is autonomous and can infect any living matter in moments. Unless Mac could have called in a decent sized nuclear strike right on their heads, anything he did was pointless. At least some amount would freeze and be found again and probably introduced into the wider world eventually which is a global game over.
I guess try to run and hope that by some tiny chance someone out in the middle of nowhere will find me before I freeze. Better than becoming part of the biomass I guess.

>mac(thing) was rounding them all up to change.
>thing cant change dead tissue.
Is this supposed to make sense? Put some effort dammit.

Implying I care what happens to the world.

i think i spoonfed you enough.
if you can't figure the rest out for yourself, i'm sorry.

In his position I can't imagine doing things any differently.

He didn't understand the full extent of the danger like Blair did when he flipped out and tried to tear the whole place up, and didn't really grasp it until Fuchs showed him what Blair had found out. He held out for survival until the last possible minute when he had to just accept that it's either him or the human race.

>Suicide and write a note
in this order, I guess

None would do better than what he did.
I would shit myself and yell "no guyz pls no" seeing Childs swinging an axe and yelling I am a dead man.

I wonder instead, what Ripley would have done here, or McReady in the Nostromo...

Also, would they like each other? Is there some fanfiction with them in love? Does the whole thing involve flame throwers?

>McReady in the Nostromo
he would have dumped whiskey drink into the PSU

You know the scene when everyone is tied and he does the blood test? Well, burn them all and let God short them out.

>I wonder instead, what Ripley would have done here
Ripley wouldn't have let the dog in, or would have bitched and moaned about putting the dog in the kennel right away which would have revealed the thing faster.

You know, I am definitely overthinking it(reaching reddit levels of overanalyzing), but what was the scene where he pours whiskey in his PC, supposed to establish. That he is a hardcore motherfucker? That he prefers to the opponent with him when he is about to lose or soemthing?

Why'd they blow up the base again? They did the blood tests and found out who and who wasn't the thing. Didn't all they have to do next was find and kill Blair?

Exactly. Should have burned everyone in the room then killed himself

Are we talking post original Alien Ripley? If not she probably wouldn't have suspected the dog.

It means that he will don't accept to lose, at the cost to burning everything.
Is foreshadowing.

The thing broke the generator to kill them all so they used the fuel to burn the thing.

Yes, original Ripley. She was all about following rules and protocol and would have assumed there was something wrong with the dog and wouldn't let it in, or she wouldn't want it roaming around for as long as it did.

Nogger the thing wasnt made of titanium, it cant even infect you through your skin. If its like literally any other parasitic organism, which it is, it cannot survive outside of a host body.

Also, that is a smart guy with a coat of badass.
He is smart (dude smart people play chess!) and he recognise that the computer is cheating.
Then his action-man element triggers and he just pour alcohol in the CPU.
In one scene you show that McReady shows disinterest and plays dumb (takes Norwegians for Swedes) but is actually calculating, a good observer, and absolutely determinate and ruthless when acting.
You see all of this later in the movie.

This used to happen when people gave a shit about writing.

if mac AND childs are both things, why would they have a conversation when they're both part of the same collective consciousness?

childs is a thing, and mac isn't

clyp.it/5pbvvotr

You write like a 12 year old who's first language isn't english. Put some effort into your grammar you fucking mongol

Original Ripley is for me Alien and Aliens.
She would have a sweet spot for the dogs, but the rules say that the dog must stay with the others.
So, less chance to infect, but unaivodable dog-thing. Also, Ripley is vulnerable because she will pet the dog.

Also, her Ripley is added to the team, or we just have her and McReady switching roles?

Fuck you, asshole. I am writing hiding from people, is enough how I wrote all of that.
I bet you only know one language.

The thing isnt a hive mind, it doesn't know who is human or who is a thing any more than the humans did.

The sharing of the liquor was to see if childs was afraid to drink it, which is why macready laughed when childs didnt give a fuck.

Have sex with everything on the base.

youtu.be/QAoONl2P8fw

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but it didn't come out the way I wanted.
Blair blew the generator out. On the conditions they were in, they would probably freeze and that's what the thing wanted, according to Mac, to freeze and wait until someone else found it. So they decided to kill, burn it/blow it up even if it meant they would die too.

I don't think they were both the thing, but the thing isn't a collective consciousness, each separate part acts in order to preserve itself.

Otherwise thing blood wouldn't react to the heat of the needle and would sacrifice itself in order to preserve the rest of the thing.

Learn proper english or fuck off you pajeet

if the thing isn't a hivemind and childs and mac are things, why wouldn't one just immediatley kill the other?

u absolute madman

then his ears and face would be cold

She's clearly a cat person.

But that aside, had the dog not been wandering around it wouldn't have infected that one guy who then infected others. If Ripley were in charge the dog would have gone straight to the kennel where it would have been revealed as a thing (since the other dogs sensed it wasn't a real dog). It would have prevented a lot of infection.

Her sticking to protocol outweighs everything though. She probably liked Kane but that didn't mean she wanted him on the ship when he was "contaminated" too.

This is assuming either scenario of her being on the team or switching with McReady, it doesn't quite matter for this. Nobody would have protested the dog being put in the kennel, at the very least. I still think Ripley wouldn't have let the dog in due to potential contamination (I would have assumed it had rabies or something), but either way the only one to protest would have been the kennel keeper and he'd easily be out-voted since nobody else really cared about the dog but him.

You cannot avoid shitting on a good thread to vent your frustration, you poor little piece of shit?
I am not even a pajeet.
Did an indian just stole your job, poor bastard?
Stai zitto ed evita di postare, pezzo di merda.

Wrong. There is an unseen time lapse of two whole days contained in the film, during which (or at least in the immediate vicinity of this time-frame) any number of things can and must have happened in order to set up the endgame.

Somehow, a big pile of FINAL-FORM Blair-Thing biomass came to be.

Somehow, Blair got Thing'd.

A figure appears behind Fuchs. Somehow, Fuchs was immolated.

Somehow, someone (Blair-Thing) fucked with Mac's stuff/left his shack light on.

Norris and Palmer got Thing'd. One of these is most likely to have been the party responsible for the "second pair" of long-johns found in the trash, which Mac reports on tape.

In my personal view, here is the single most plausible explanation for all of this.

The PILE of thing-stuff which was burned and buried AGAIN, re-animated YET AGAIN during the storm, being just warm enough to reconstitute itself during the storm. We already know perfectly well that previously burned Thing-carcasses can reanimate, so this just follows suit. One might object about the extreme cold, but this is the best way to explain all the biomass of FINAL FORM Blair-thing. This pile of shit Thing'd Blair outside as the next easiest target, and around the same time got busy tunnelling, hence Blair's "funny noises". Once Blair was thing'd it (small blair-thing) immediately set about scavenging parts for the small saucer. It was the figure that passed by Fuchs in the night, busy looking for more parts, but it decided to simply burn Fuchs, having accidentally aroused Fuchs' attention, since it knew that more Things were present inside and could basically run interference on the humans while Blair thing concentrated on completing the saucer (if it could do so in time). In the original short story, Blair-Thing is described as having been within a very short time frame (minutes, hours) of completing its own escape mechanism-a jet pack.

Also IMO Norris corners and Things Palmer while both are still trusted group members.

Kill everyone in their sleep who hasnt been killed already.Without blowing up the facility

Grab bottle of alcohol and play chess on computer until help arrives.

Maybe do blood test before leaving

this gets me every time.

>She's clearly a cat person.
true, maybe would make a difference for her

Aren't the original sources of infection TWO?
One is the dog, that is blasted with the flamer, but "something" escapes (through the roof), unless I got the scene wrong.
Before that, the dog-thing infects AT LEAST Palmer, probably Norris too. At that point, they are enough to mess with long-johns and whatnot.
One of them will fuck Blair. Blair is not infected when he goes crazy, but what happens to him is what he feared the most.

The other initial thing is the defrosted-thing, that one gets Bennings.

There is one thing I would have done different.

After getting the Bennings-Thing surrounded and defeated in the snow, I would have tried to interrogate it, see if it can actually speak as a Thing. If it doesn't work, then destroy the fucker.

Probably wouldn't have made any difference, but worth a try at least.

>Giving the thing a chance to attempt something crazy to save itself

And this multiplicity of infection vectors, all the DIFFERENT things, bodies, carcasses involved in the story....

THAT is the reason why I made this image. Feel free to skip the large middle (prequel) bit and focus on 1982 (bottom) for an accounting of all such Things.

I don't agree that any meaningful part of the Dog-Thing pile actually manages to escape through the ceiling. There was clearly a mass of cornered stuff which was simply trying to get away, but it was simply cornered in the top corner of the kennel and didn't actually get out.

I guess I'm the Thing

>Wrong
After the test, we follow Mac everywhere. The test works, so before the test, Mac doesn't get infected. Since we follow him everywhere after the test, he doesn't get infected after it either. So Mac is not infected. It's not that hard. What's wrong about that?
>We already know perfectly well that previously burned Thing-carcasses can reanimate
Am I missing something? When is this implied/seen?

If mac was the thing why'd he blow up the boss thing at the end?

Kane literally had an alien life form on his face. The dog just looked like a dog, and not in a million years would anyone of guessed it was a shape shifting extra terrestrial. The only thing that might have happened, is someone ask why those guys were trying to kill that dog.

>The only thing that might have happened, is someone ask why those guys were trying to kill that dog.
That's kind of the point, and an important one at that. The reasonable assumption to make would be that the dog was sick (I brought up rabies, but it could be any number of things), and they should have immediately quarantined it rather than letting it wander around and then sticking it with the other dogs.

>and he recognise that the computer is cheating
Pretty sure that he was just pissed off at losing. Had nothing to do with the computer cheating.

You may have me confused with another user who you were talking to. The long post is the first post I made in the thread.

I wasn't taking issue with the "mac is or is not a Thing" point. What I was taking issue with is the assertion that that the film only loses track of Mac at one particular, relevant point, which is what this post literally says, , and which is in any event, clearly false-though now I understand your thing that you're arguing with the other guy (and now with me sorta)- a bit better.

You're taking the blood test as one-hundred percent proof-positive of who's who, which I also strongly incline towards. So what you were really saying in the above post is that the two-day gap I referred to is irrelevant because it happened before the blood test, which works. Is that about right?

Even if this is all true, it's still also true that we lose track of Mac between the dynamite throw and the exterior shots of the explosion. For all we know some thing-goop got on him between then and coming to the surface, and somehow a matching outfit was handy somewher,e though admittedly the latter does stretch credulity. The point is that we don't know, even taking the blood test as an absolute-fact point.

Strictly speaking, we lose track of every character every frame in which they (or their doppelganger) are not in the frame.

I do strongly incline towards the reliability of the test and that Mac was human at least up until the very endgame, but I didn't like how your thing was worded and I didn't initially understand what you meant in your post, I just reacted to the literal (and false) implication contained within it on this one point.

BURN IT, MACREADY!

Also to your latter question it is perfectly clear that the Norwegian base carcass had been recently burned (the smoke coming off it dramatically at many points). Mac also verbally establishes same (they burned it up in a hurry). Same thing reanimates and gets Bennings, at the very least.

This makes the creature more terrifying, the more you think about it. We have this idea that "fire will kill it", but not even FIRE really does so-it merely slows it down...

And now there's Thing-Shit spread all over the continent. If you're a global warming believer, god help us all if the continent ever melts...

Interestingly, the exact same fear-idea applies to The Blob.

You could be right, that's a plausible interpretation.
Do we possess sufficient data and/or sufficient autism to extrapolate the validity of the computer moves in the film?

>Every single cell of the thing is autonomous and can infect any living matter in moments.
Are you parroting about a movie you didn't watch, or are you just retarded?

Look here, after 3:59
I could be wrong, but that could be something crawling, and moving upward.
After all, why show the ceiling being crushed?
youtube.com/watch?v=g4bz63cTfO4

Yes. In particular, there are at least two frames which clearly establish that two completely different game-states are supposed to be within a move or two of each other, which is (I'm going out on a limb but just to glance at the frames it looks like I'm right) literally impossible.

youtube.com/watch?v=d2R-K0vl94s

The point being that Carpenter doesn't seem to have been too careful about his chess game, he just wanted the illustration.

Other sci-fi kino which incorporate chess games (Blade Runner, 2001) were more careful, being based in actual games. We never get a really good look at the board in Blade Runner, but it's (there is some dispute about this but still) the "immortal game". And there's a wiki for the 2001 game.

I don't have a blu-ray of 2001 but you might actually be able to make out the deets of that game in the frames if you zoom (my old DVD is unhelpful on this point):

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poole_versus_HAL_9000

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_Game

Since I"m going full autist I'd also like to point out that the sci-fi flick π has extended discussion of Go. Sol leaves the protagonist a pretty spiral pattern (a theme of the narrative) on his board toward the end.

It's also worth mentioning that Kubrick was an avid chess player, and is seen playing chess and berating Shelly Duvall in daughter Vivian's (making the) Shining documentary film. Moreover, Vivian is the one who plays Heywood's daughter on the (heh) skype-chat in 2001.

>You can't just hide away on your own because then all of the others could get infected and eventually gang up on you and escape into the world.

You act as if this wasn't the case.
They literally did everything wrong even after knowing the Thing could assimilate and disguise itself as an human they still do stupid shit, and they are suppose to be "researchers" yet they were dumb as fuck.

It really makes me think if any of you even watched this movie at all and not just parroting Sup Forums memes about being the "best thing ever"
The only thing it has going on for it are the visuals, it looks amazing.

>and they are suppose to be "researchers" yet they were dumb as fuck.
>being rational when you know anyone who isn't you could well be a shape shifting Alien abomination
>that will kill you in horrifying ways and then use you like a meat puppet to murder your friends
>and will cause the apocalypse should it ever get free

I don't have enough fedoras in the world for this, so I'll just tell you to read Rule 2 and fuck off.

>not forcing it to transform into a cute girl and then fucking it into submission
weak

>Humans must behave in a precise and logical fashion, even in the face of life threatening danger

The film is a fairly believable representation of how a group of researchers deal with an unknown threat like the thing. Being smart is no guarantee of behaving intelligently under pressure, particularly the pressure of imminent death and flesh puppetry.

Literally all the had to do was to stick together yet they not only go wonder alone by themselves once but they still do that shit even when there are multiple casualties and even near the end of the movie they are still doing that shit, "oh guys lets go check on the crazy doc, but you nigger you stay here lmao what could happen if you stay here all alone anyways"
You're juts too dumb for your own good and lack any survival instinct.

also it's not like sticking together for a few days waiting for the survival crew would literally kill them like the Thing does, they have been living in that place for what would one assume has been months, but I guess sticking together in the same room for a few days would be worse than getting kileld by the Thing.

>why aren't people acting rationally, like I certainly would due to my superior intellect, in a movie about exploring paranoia, terror and isolation?
Global rule 2: You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

Thanks user!

Oh and literally the last casualty of the movie was caused because he wandered alone without bothering to tell the other guy IN THE SAME ROOM that he saw something.

I think that realistically, like if something like that actually happened IRL, people would be concerned with self preservation over trying to prevent the thing from escaping.

People are literally forced to stay together after a certain point, Blair excluded. But things escalate in a way that is almost useless, the biggest damage has been already done.

Is the thing the only horror movie where none of the characters does anything stupid yet they all get fucked?

I'd buy the Thing a first class ticket to a major city. Humanity deserves it.

>characters does anything stupid

What about the dogs guy.

>they have fancy degrees and specific careers so they physically cannot panic

They panic first thing, that's the whole point of the film.

By the time they realized how the Thing operated, it already had entered their group. Sticking together would be just as much of a deathtrap as everything else they did.

Even my 9 years old kid could tell they were doing dumb shit, they have no excuse. I guess if they weren't to do stupid shit there wouldn't have a movie.
Except when they did the blood test, it shows that sticking together was a good decision and they only fucked up by leaving the doc be by itself.

Ask it to turn into a beautiful women so I can be assimilated while fucking it and have the best orgasm of my life right before I'm assimilated

>What about the dogs guy.
Well, he didn't get infected and he didn't know about the thing when he took care of the dog.

Yeah, he just got himself killed, not stupid at all.

What type of idiot are you? You know you're not infected so just kill everyone and everything and then safely steal away yourself.

>they have no excuse
They saw a dog turn into a horrifying monster in front of their eyes, they eventually realise they are trapped with a creature that has the capacity to perfectly mimic any living being and an unknown number of infected in their number.

Their lives and humanity itself are directly placed in jeopardy. People do not behave well under pressure as a rule, intellectuals are not immune to this.

Every cell of it is a self contained part of it so he's not at all bonkers.

>when they did the blood test
Well AFTER they dissected and analyzed the Thing.

>they are all in danger
>therefore they all should panic and act irrationally

It's not like it was just one day you know, the movie happens in the span of several day.
They had enough time to calm themselves down and formulate a plan, you know like we human always do in times of need?