JSA Storytime: Captain Atom

Good evening owls of Sup Forums,

Look at all that shiny

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/732280468696121344
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>CIVIL WAR II #5 (OF 7)
>BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) • DAVID MARQUEZ (A)
>Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC
>B&W VIRGIN CONNECTING VARIANT F COVER BY KIM JONG GI
>VARIANT COVER BY MICHAEL CHO
>CHARACTER VARIANT COVER BY PHIL NOTO

>The devastating fallout from the first half of this event is enormous and being felt in every corner of the Marvel Universe. The truth about Ulysses’ future-seeing power is revealed and it is a game changer. Sides are irrevocably drawn and the gauntlet is thrown for the biggest battle in Marvel Universe history. And that’s just the stuff we can tell you. All this, and the story goes galactic!

>sides are irrevocably drawn
>5 of 7

LOL

what a fucking world DC solicits today, though. Dogwelder! Ostrander! Sugar and Spike meet the LOSH!

The DC solicits are nuts. It's really fun to see. I love they got Ostrander back on the squad but I'm nervous about the three other minis, because those are the DC graduate people and I sure as fuck wouldn't want Bennett or Tynion on the squad.

>the story goes galactic!
Annihilus invades Earth while everybody's fighting and wins?

They sure were crazy
Deathstroke is lookin' good. Imagine if Priest did a nice 12+ issue run.

JSA: THE GOLDEN AGE DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by JAMES ROBINSON • Art and cover by PAUL SMITH
Set at the start of one of the darkest periods of U.S. history, the infamous “McCarthy Era,” JSA: THE GOLDEN AGE takes a thought-provoking look at what might have happened to DC’s first generation of super heroes beyond their exploits during the Second World War, as paranoia pervades America.
DC’s first generation of super heroes have been driven into retirement or hiding, or madness—except for a few who are willing to change with the times. But behind the scenes, something even more sinister is unfolding—a subtle plot that may engulf the planet and remake it in one man’s image. Collects THE GOLDEN AGE #1-4 in a Deluxe hardcover for the first time.
On sale OCTOBER 5 • 200 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875” $29.99 US

It's good, I think, to see relative n00bs put on short stories. see how they do.

Yay! Rockets Red! The best communist Iron Mans in the DC Universe!

Hopefully it also demonstrates that they're capable of writing a single issue.

dat shiny, shiny ass

Short form, you wanna impress, you can't waste any space at all.

5 out of 7 issues and the conflict is finally going, hee, that's so shitty

I am very excited about all of those, plus several of the collected books (Deluxe Golden Age, Neil Gaiman collection [I really fucking love that Supes/GL issue], etc)

overall a pretty damn good solicit day! why is Venditti still on GL why why why go away

The Suicide Squad Most Wanted mini was really weird

Didn't really expect Diablo to be the one that had the lead book while everybody else had two parters

>The truth about Ulysses’ future-seeing power is revealed and it is a game changer.

It turns out it's all lies, complete lies. It only comes true when they make it come true!

Also, god, how is Bendis still the story director in all but name at Marvel? Why does anyone fucking buy his books?

If it's any consolation, Matthew Rosenberg is vouching for them.
twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/732280468696121344
Apparently all of them have indie books out too. Welcome back by Sebela is actually quite good.

They all have published work already out:

>Chris Sebela
>Vita Ayala
>Michael Moreci

It's probably just partially fear because Ostrander has such an established rep. Vita Ayala will be the first black woman to write Amanda Waller, I think.

We(l)come Back is also where the artist on the new Batgirl and the Birds of Prey comes from. But it's probably not a book I'm ever going to read.

The Batgirl in Asia solicit had me loling.

Yeah, that new edition of Golden Age is a definite buy.

yeah, it'll be interesting to see who takes advantage of the one shot format

Hello Storyteller.

The Amazon's new champion. Artemis, maybe?

Also, beefcake Diana and MANLY Steve.

>biggest battle in Marvel Universe history
>Not the Dire Wraiths attacking Earth
>Not Infinity Gauntlet
>Not Annihilation

>new travel-companion-slash-maybe-crush
Kill me

Also kill me if Dick doesn't tell her to fuck off in Nightwing

Ah, no more qt hippie girlfriend for Nate.

Artemis is going to be in RHATO

Andy Khouri laughed at me when I mentioned the Ostrander Cheetah one-shot with Mark Shaw :(

To be fair Batgirl goes to find herself in Asia felt like such a weird finish to the last run, so in some ways it's impressive that they found a way to DOUBLE DOWN.

My line of the fucking day, though:

>Fred and Wilma experience a crisis of faith when they discover the bird god they worship also makes a great record player needle.

We really should be reading JLI along this but we'll scoot back

Plastique or bust. The hippy girlfriend was only a girlfriend for Nate.

the waifu wars comes down to Plastique vs. Nightshade, IMO

ooh, he speaks Russian, too

Mark Shaw? Who is that ;^)

>>Fred and Wilma experience a crisis of faith when they discover the bird god they worship also makes a great record player needle.
Flintstones is gonna be fucking great

Yes, and? We gotta find out how she's been "disgraced" somehow.

>Andy Khouri laughed at me when I mentioned the Ostrander Cheetah one-shot with Mark Shaw :(
Why? Did it suck or something?

Seriously, I think we're underserved in the villain/hero romance department at the present time

Hal/Sinestro doesn't count

I'm really fucking sad that Russell and Valentine aren't DC exclusive/don't have other stuff.

I thought it was kind of cool and I miss Mark Shaw, but I think no one else cares

I was extremely down for that brief implication of Supes - Bekka - Diana in the Sinestro Corps thing.

well, Russel will have Prez vol 2 in a few months

I do wish both of them were doing more though

Eiling, you hilarious sick fuck

>UBER, I don't want to hear that it can't be done!
Eiling vs Austin

>The Amazon's new champion. Artemis, maybe?

Probably not. Artemis is going to be Jason Todd's lady sidekick in Rebirth.

I live in Wilco so I didn't get to vote, but Uber/Lyft can fuck right off after all those goddamn ads, holy shit

Valentine is only doing Xena and first issue was bad. Here's to hoping she's the next Wonder Woman writer after Rucka is done with 24 issues but it'll most likely be Bennett.

>Valentine is only doing Xena and first issue was bad
That's a shame although I don't really care about Xena so I probably wouldn't have read it anyway

I'd like to see her write BOP or Black Canary

Today I have seen people upset that Image is not interfering with the maybe/as of yet unconfirmed rehiring of Upchurch on Rat Queens. I think the concept of "creator owned" as well as Image's rep of "no meddling" is not on the radar.

Valentine for gritty GLC noir mini or bust

Snyder needs to have his turn first so he can write something that's not batman

I'm sort of fundamentally against the model, so this is where I begin to recede into the past like a dust-covered mummy.

>I thought it was kind of cool and I miss Mark Shaw, but I think no one else cares
For once, I don't blame them. There was no reason whatsoever to change Barbara's origin like that. The cult the new version was raised in aren't even Urtzkartagah worshipers. They're wannabe Amazons who worship Artemis. Not to mention, her becoming the Cheetah by accidentally cutting herself with some random ass knife is boring and has no character to it, when before she gained the power by willingly and gleefully performing a blood sacrifice.

Bit of a downgrade, really.

that middle panel is kind of begging for a Chuck Tingle caption

>Valentine for gritty GLC noir mini or bust
oh man that would be perfect!

part of the reason (well, among many) I'm so disappointed with the current crop of GL stuff is that it's more fucking corps vs corps

YES

YESSSSSSSSSS

literally fucking beyond me how RQ was ever seen as your uplifting, feminist empowerment book in the first place. All male team, characters that were basically parodies, everyone being an atrocious asshole?

I actually like Snyder on Batman better than Snyder on anything else, which still isn't saying much. I thought his Wytches thing was goddamn awful, and people love that.

He'll probably write a maxi.

That reminds me, he and Capullo are most likely doing a major event in 2017. Can't wait to see Sup Forums lose their shit.

Urzkatarga's back in Rucka's solicits, which is intriguing. But I liked Perez Cheetah, she had a good unpleasant edge, yes.

But I miss Mark Shaw and his bad. ass. Manhunter getup.

this 'sharing' economy=lol what are benefits we don't have to pay them, that's bullshit

>Pounded In The Butt By a Unicorn Cosmonaut

gritty crime book for GLC would be so cool.

I don't get why people are so eager to suck Valentine off so hard. Because she's like the first person ever to try something different with Catwoman? Selina's a mob boss now. Riveting.

Remember when we were all so excited to see if Snyder would write Wondy? Pretty sure everyone stopped giving a crap.

Not having read the book I am admittedly strongly in favor of female characters getting to be assholes and magnificent bastards as an expansion of their emotional ranges

but again, not having read the book

Hugo Award, stat

>ooh, he speaks Russian, too

Well, he's not just military, he's military INTELLIGENCE. He probably also knows Chinese in addition to the Cambodian he's already shown and the Vietnamese he almost definitely knows.

>this 'sharing' economy=lol what are benefits we don't have to pay them, that's bullshit
it also = "lol safety regulations what are those clearly those aren't OUR responsibility"

He's literally been writing Batman since 2010, if you count Dickbats.

Not as bad as Slott, but jeez.

>Ostrander back on the Squad
>Sugar and Spike meet the LOSH!(wtf Giffen?!)
>Waid Flash Collection
>Dark Tower set pics

today has been a good day for me with news.

also I'm so fucking excited for Green Lanterns with that new cover. Baz in a construct car?!? Give me 20, he's my fav GL now

Because that was some well written Selina user. Even her beginning issue of Harper Row: Eternal were best of the bunch.

He didn't really have full creative control over the mythos though, he just wrote one title.

And then in Giffen JLI there's the "hurr I failed Spanish/I can't speak French" joke, sigh

Everyone I know raved about the execution, not just the concept

The dog did not have a good day today. I'm a little worried about him, but maybe it was just hangover from storms.

>I don't get why people are so eager to suck Valentine off so hard. Because she's like the first person ever to try something different with Catwoman? Selina's a mob boss now. Riveting.
Because the writing was good

I fucking hated Rat Queens. No significant challenges, shitty development, characters are all such intensely egotistical - but quirky - assholes that even the notion of them working in a team doesn't seem to hold up. The first couple of issues have this gruesome death for a fat green ogre woman while the gnome trips out on ~drugs and candy~

I'm not against women being awful - in the sense of personality, not execution - characters, but a book where everyone is an awful character doesn't interest me at all. It was a book I never, never got why the critical rep was so great for.

Part of all this is probably just bitterness about the IDW D&D comic getting shut down, because that was so much better an adventuring fantasy comic. Bree was like what everyone in RQ wanted to be.

>Because that was some well written Selina user.
See, you say "good Catwoman story", and all I hear is "I CAN FAP TO THIS!"

It's Catwoman. Can we all stop pretending anything of substance will ever come out of that character? It's getting embarrassing at this point.

>Flash despite his ties to Cuba

man I need to get back to reading early Flash.

>Valentine for gritty GLC noir mini or bust

Does Guy still have a run down gin joint into which space dames (who are trouble) can saunter in and begin webs of deceit?

Hey, fuck you.

this pathetic bait will get serious replies.

Okay, we've been through THIS line before. Genug.

>a book where everyone is an awful character doesn't interest me at all
got it

>And then in Giffen JLI there's the "hurr I failed Spanish/I can't speak French" joke, sigh
Having not read JLI, is it at least played humorously? Like how X-Men has that alternate universe Hank McCoy who is only a geneticist, and gets annoyed when people try and make him do the various other kinds of science that Beast can do because "Dur, he's a scientist, of course he can do engineering, chemistry, AND theoretical physics!"

Oh OK, you're one of those.

No. Guy hasn't had a bar in ages

kiiiiind of, buuuut...

no one dies!

I can only assume he means that you need a token good person to make the assholes stand out.
For instance, Guy wouldn't nearly be as much of a magnificent bastard if everyone ELSE was also a bastard.

Or at least varying kinds of dickbaggery. Otherwise you get crap like Willis's webcomics.

>that knee-jerk defensiveness
Oh come on now. She's Catwoman. The whole point of her is to make nerds cream their pants, and turning her into a suit wearing lesbian is just another form of that. I even like her archetype, but thieving femme fatales usually manage a bit more substance than she's ever had.

I think it's a bit like how I read WicDiv mainly now to see who's going to die horribly next

Has Rocket Red had an ongoing? Dude's cool

it's still middle of the Cold War, I don't think they're dated ideas...

I was catching up on WicDiv and read the last two issues out of order, didn't make a difference. baka at Gillen

and i like that book!

we getting existential now

There was a delightful new Rocket Red in Generation Lost and then I think N52 JLI killed him horribly

You could totally have a comic of Guy Gardners. Rat Queens isn't like that. My answer for anyone asking why Rat Queens is a bad comic would probably just be to go read it.

Probably not, because I ditched out of it before it ran to a stop.

I thought rat queens was fine

Yeah I remember liking him there too . nu52 JLI got weeeeeeeird

>You could totally have a comic of Guy Gardners. Rat Queens isn't like that. My answer for anyone asking why Rat Queens is a bad comic would probably just be to go read it.
I also think the comedy beats are awful

>sweatdrop

Is a Femme fatale still a Femme fatale if she isn't seducing a hero?

whoops

It was just unpleasant for me on a number of levels (none of which were: this is an all-woman comic).

Major Force having Icemanesque slides is killing me

well that's...something

oh man, there's an OH EXPLOITABLE panel right there

Seriously. Giffen S&S meets LOSH. My god.

Yes. Why the fuck wouldn't they be?