Marvel producer admits its plots are 'interchangeable and disposable'

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/marvel-producer-admits-its-plots-are-interchangeable-and-disposable-a7032546.html

if you’re having trouble recalling the actual plot of recent comic book superhero films (I still can’t remember why Batman was even fighting Superman), you’re probably not alone, and it seems even the studios behind them realise that plot comes second to the action and characters.

Producer Simon Winberg, who’s worked on the X-Men movies and Fantastic Four, had the realisation while working on Deadpool.

“I think one of the things that I’ve learnt on all these movies – and maybe the lesson was best learned for me on Deadpool – is the most important thing is getting the tone and the voice right,” he told Flickering Myth.

“That the storytelling, the actual narrative, the plots are sort of interchangeable and disposable, ultimately.”

He went on to hint that this lesson would be applied to upcoming superhero movie Gambit starring Channing Tatum, which is apparently still in the works.

Get used to these disposable plots, there’s at least 25 of them are coming in the next five years.

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/at-least-25-comic-book-superhero-movies-will-be-made-in-the-next-5-years-10459368.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cool comics and cartoons brah.

finally

>Avenger's picture
>Link speaks only of Fox owned Marvel IPs
Cool false flag bruh

AGENTS OF SHIELD IS NOT CANON HAHAHAHHA

I like that you use an image of the Avengers, implying this was said by a Marvel Studios producer when its clearly a Fox executive

>Marvel producer
>Is just a Fox producer

wew lad

>assblasted Fox producer is mad because Marvel Studios stole his Human Torch

>Marvel Producer
>X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, Gambit

But he's not mad and he's not saying anything bad about Marvel. All he's commenting on is the importance of tone in a superhero movie since superheroes as a concept tend to have pretty interchangeable plots, which isn't entirely wrong.

What are you implying?

Woah there DCuck, no need to mislead people.

>Marvel producer
>Simon Winberg, who’s worked on the X-Men movies and Fantastic Four,
You sneaky cunt.
Seriously, 10/10 work. That's sublime.

maybe he is inferring and not implying

Captain Obvious is my favorite superhero

At least 25 comic book superhero movies will be made in the next five years

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/at-least-25-comic-book-superhero-movies-will-be-made-in-the-next-5-years-10459368.html

just repeating what the Independent said. You don't expect the independent to know the diff, do you?

bumps

No shit. Just about any good movie is less about the plot and more about the people mixed up in it.
For instance, World War II has been done to death.

We all know the broad strokes of the "What".
Allies, Axis, gotcha.
The "Who" is why war movies are so powerful.

For the most part, Magneto's weird plan in X-Men to turn the population New York into mutants wasn't as important as the character interactions.

Superhero movies are just wacky versions of the war movie

>"It wasn't my fault! It was the people I was copying!"

>Winberg

wow they spelled his name wrong

Nice false flag OP you dumb fucking faggot

It's not like he's wrong.

can someone explain why people still use that hideous avengers poster for anything capeshit related?

No idea

I've been saying this for years. If there is no plots or villains that matter then why do they insist the universe is shared? The gimmick is meaningless. There is nothing to share if there is no plot.

The same reason Sup Forums falls for clickbait. It's easily identifiable and doesn't require thinking on their part.

>hero gets powers
>Learns a lesson
>fights villain
>wins

This could be said of most movies though

Cap's movies are decidedly Cap though. They couldn't work with any other hero.

Same for Hulk.

Thor and Iron Man though...ehh..

Are disposable plots a bad thing?

People tire of them sooner than later.

>Winberg

I think you mean Iron Man and Ant-Man. Ant-Man was just Iron Man with the inventor and the hero split into two people.

He's not wrong

If you faggots actually read comics you would know this. Busiek's run on Avengers is GOAT because of how well it cribs from and synthesizes the runs of Roy Thomas and Roger Stern.

In serial, for-profit entertainment, the most efficient way to continually produce timely product is to standardize production.

BOTH his Human Torches

You're right but that's probably the biggest thing about capeshit that I dislike.
I don't really mind the lack of character development or death.
It's the fucking recycled plots, like even the ones people think are really good are just the same shit.

I guess I just don't appreciate that part of the genre while others do, but in my opinion superheroes in comics and movies could be so much more interesting if they weren't so repetitive.

Keep saying it. Falls upon deaf ears. There are plots. They are just similar.

>foX-Men producer
>Avengers image
Move along, folks. Nothing to see here.

When it comes to superhero movies, people care more about whether the characters are accurate than plots. That's what the producer is saying. I'm not saying I agree with him.

>DC Fans falseflagging Fox Producer Quotes as Civil War prepares to lap BvS's domestic gross in it's second week

The Salt is Scrumptious

>Producer Simon Winberg, who’s worked on the X-Men movies and Fantastic Four

>, who’s worked on the X-Men movies and Fantastic Four
AHAHAHAH

AHHHH HAHAHAHAHAH

Welcome to comic books.

Yet you still read comics.

So stop bitching.

Name 3 examples of this being true. Stark, Rogers and Thor are all so different and deal with different shit that the only real similarity in their plots is they start out one way and change while fighting some bad guys and making quips.

The entire Fox capeshit talent group needs to be gutted besides the Deadpool guys

He doesn't mean you can literally take any one characters story and swap it into any other one. Like no, you don't do The Winter Soldier's story with Ant-Man. C'mon.

What he means that the story isn't the most important thing, and that getting character and tone correct is of greater importance. He's right. And it's not a bad thing.

How many people do you think can explain in detail what the plot of GOTG was? Do you think people responded to Deadpool because it was a revolutionary origin story? Etc, etc.

It very much is a bad thing when you start turning movies from isolated stories into just bigger budget TV serials where the plot matters very little. You are then turning movies into disposable product instead of entertainment with sustainable shelf life.

The story was pretty fucking important in TWS. I know people love to say characters or plot matters more but the two work hand in hand a lot of the time and in films that do it they're a lot stronger then films that don't. i.e. TWS and CW being superior to AOU and GOTG

Why would you put GotG on the same level as AoU? If anything GotG did a decent job with the characters but not the plot, and AoU did a shit job with both