What are famous /his/torical battles Sup Forums thinks would make for a good war movie and why?

What are famous /his/torical battles Sup Forums thinks would make for a good war movie and why?

I'll start:

>Battle of Spotsylvania Court House
>part of the largest military conflict waged in North America
>North and South locked in an epic and deadly struggle that will decide the very future of America
>fate of the world arguably hangs in the balance since the outcome of the Civil War would have greatly affected whether the United States rose to become a world power in the 20th Century
>an immense tragedy comparable to the Illiad, neighbors, families, whole community torn apart
>15,000 men killed or wounded over the course of 24 hours of fighting at Bloody Angle alone
>literally took place in the middle of a storm
>fighting was reduced to literal medieval hand-to-hand combat after the rain ruined all the gunpowder
>surrounding landscape was almost completely flattened, with trees literally ripped in half from gunfire

Seriously, the accounts of it make the Battle of the Bastards look like romantic picnic at sunset by comparison.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-WkWy47ighY
youtube.com/watch?v=aI1fqOELQ48
historyplace.com/worldhistory/topten/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Castle_Itter
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

would sound like an awful movie of dirty violence
maybe spin it pacifistic a bit
Im not American so I aint getting hard for this kinda stuff

The siege of Tyre would be awesome, hanging on that island while the Greeks are building a fucking bridge towards you

youtube.com/watch?v=-WkWy47ighY

Siege of Masad as well, Romans building a ramp to kill some platform jews that then commit mass suicide

good thread anyway OP

>you
youtube.com/watch?v=aI1fqOELQ48

I was thinking it would be meant to shock and horrify the audience at the graphic brutality. A sharp contrast from the bloodless violence of movies like Gettysburg or Gods and Generals. Think Cold Mountain's Battle of the Crater sequence, already one of the most brilliant battle scenes ever done imo, but extended to an entire film.

That German Castle story could be it.

Grant-Sherman broship movie when?

Siege of Szigetvár

I think they'd have a hard time finding actors to fill the shoes of Sherman and Grant but I'd be up for it.

>I was thinking it would be meant to shock and horrify the audience at the graphic brutality.
yeah doing that for an entire movie would be awful

That's sort of like the second half of Hacksaw Ridge

I actually always wanted a to see a mini-series based on the air war in Vietnam. It could begin in 1967 or so we're introduced to some newly minted LT. pilots and watch them go thru 100 missions. They would have to fly F-105's or F-100's.

We would watched them fly the Triangle in the day and at night they run after nurses and ugly Vietnamese prostitutes

An HBO series about the crusades with 1 hour episodes for each crusade.

Emu wars

I'd rather just have an 8 or 10 episode series about the First Crusade.

>tfw want to participate in this thread
>Don't know any good unknown historical battles

Here's the top 10, choose which one you think is most interesting

historyplace.com/worldhistory/topten/

Chosin.

this

I don't trust Hollywood to make basically any historical movie at this point. The very best you can hope for is that they'll leave their hamfisted political messages out of it, but even then you'll still have to deal with characters who speak and behave more like modern people in costumes than actual people from the period.

how do you fuck up this badly?

Yankees

Hacksaw Ridge was surprisingly good

BATTLE OF ALESIA MOVIE WHEN!?!

>Not the sexy as fuck F-8
>The last true dog fighter

Sneaky Japs

>Disgraced roman politician in exile
>Kicks barbarian ass back to their last city
>Caesar leading a siege while simultaneously defending against a numerically superior reinforcements
>Beats the barbarians the fuck out
>Documents every fucking moment so history can know how based he is
>Conquers france
>Movie ends with him stepping foot in the rubicon at the the head of his army
>Smash cut to black

Why arent there any movies about roman siege technology? Shit makes my dick diamonds.

>muh slavery

no1curr amerikuk

Start with the roman milotary campaigns. They made a point to record their battles for posterity.

>Any year
>Messing with Texas

>REMEMBER THE ALAMO!
Even when we lose we win.

This is absolute kino

fuck off powder puff

The Reconquista had some good shit in it as well.

>Americans
>German soldiers
>Austrian resistance members
>a tennis player
>former PM of France
>an SS officer
>all on the same side

I think it'd make for a good dark comedy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Castle_Itter

>Hacksaw Ridge was surprisingly good
Half of it was.

Siege of Vienna, easily. Winged Hussars charging Rohirrim-style to save the day.

Great Siege of Malta

small unit of christian knights trapped on the island of malta fought off an entire ottoman armada

The battle of my dick vs your mom

Anything from the Vietnam war would be the ultimate kino experience
>Underdog story
>The evil white American Devils finally get their comeuppance
>BASED Vietcong and guerilla warfare scenes

Nero Claudius Drusus'(Germanicus) quest for revenge against Germany.
>Film starts with Teutoburg forest
>Roman soldiers being cut down left and right.
>Publius Quinctilius Varus gazes on the slaughter in horror and awe, before stabbing himself.
>Arminius cut's off Varus' head and holds it above the fray, as Roman soldiers are either enslaved or sacrificed and the dead nailed to trees.
>Cut to Germanicus recieving the news that Augustus has died(flashback to him being adopted into Julii) and he is now in control of the 8 Legions that are to invade Germany and reclaim
the Eagle standards lost at Teutoburg Forest.
>General kickassery and bloodshed.
>A very solemn moment at the site of the battle of Teutoburg Forest, where Germanicus renounces all previous ties to his former name, and swears to avenge his fellow Romans.
>All the while his uncle, Emperor Tiberius, is getting more and more concerned about Germanicus' popularity in Rome and how he is beginning to be seen as a better Roman than him.
>Then he discovers that Augustus once planned for Germanicus to be Emperor, but he went inot the military to avoid politics.
>The film ends with Germanicus, being the golden boy he is, talking to his Generals in Asia minor about how about Arminius.
>How that he was assassinated by the Germanic tribes for his failures.
>At the same time, he takes a bowl of wine from his fellow General Gnaeus Calpurnius Piso, poured from a batch sent by Tiberius with a letter of instruction for Piso.
>To poison Germanicus.
>He takes a deep drink and grins.
>Then coughs.
>Germanicus that morning dead in his bed chamber and a letter denouncing the friendship between him and Piso.
>The films shows Piso being assassinated by Tiberius' men later and them making it look like suicide.
The film ends with a scene many years in the future. With some official, after placing a wreath upon the head of the new Emperor, announcing.
"rise Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus!"

Kino

a movie about the race riots on the USS Kitty Hawk would actually get made and be poignant if it was done right.

in b4 niggers

Those riots had nothing to do with race, they just wanted to watch Jane Fonda

they had everything to do with dumb peanuthead nigs