Gay LGBT Queer Comics

I'm a little excited for this new gay comic. We don't get a lot of queer centric material so it's nice to see this coming out (no pun intended). After Midnighter getting cancelled, I want more gay comics.

I know a lot of people don't like James Tynion but it could be cute. I liked his Cognetic comic from Boom. Plus, I'm going to read his Detective Comic run coming up.

Any other gay LGBT queer comics people are into or looking forward to?

comicbookresources.com/article/boom-studios-announces-backstagers-from-tynion-sygh

>BOOM! Studios' imprint Boom Box has announced a new series via the New York Times. The series, titled "The Backstagers," comes from writer James Tynion IV and artist Rian Sygh and will star an all-boys private school's theater crew.

>“It’s very important to me to explore things that are more personal,” Tynion told NYT. “I was a stage crew kid growing up myself. It’s a very strange place that always held a special part of my heart.” The New York Times also points out the parallel between "The Backstagers'" diverse, all-male cast with the diverse, all-female cast of fellow Boom Box series "Lumberjanes."

>Tynion spoke about his desire to create a book for an all-ages audience. “I wanted to create the book for the young queer boy who feels an outcast and doesn’t see that much of him reflected,” said Tynion. “I want that reader to call this book his own.”

Comes out in August

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s
houseofdiversity.tumblr.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

white steven....

Was midnighter the one with that hilarious bait and switch in the (really fucking crappy) new 52 Valentine's day special.

I'm not entirely sure why your so concerned with characters sexuality especialy with your list being DC focused rather then marvel so you don't want a character about being gay you just want to follow a gay character

I can't decide if that's understandable or retarded.

I know the new 52 teen Titans had a gay guy

It's more about fun, perspective and fanservice. I'm gay so I like reading fun stories with gay people.

I read other things too (Batman, Vision, Daredevil, Low, Deadly Class, Black Science, Gwenpool)

new 52 Teen Titans sucks though, I don't want to read shit

Tim is hot but he's the only one.

That's great and admirable.

I still don't get why sexuality has to be such a character defining trait. I can't really like a character on the principle that his whole shtick is "I'm homo". I really want characters that put that on the end of the long list of good character traits, not in front of them. I often prefer lewds of confirmed cute and interesting straights instead of horribly gay stereotypes where they wear I'M GAY flag up high

I don't like Tynion's Bat stuff much, but his original work is pretty solid (I liked Memetic), so this could be good, especially if it's a personal project.
And yeah man I'll miss Midnighter like hell.

>>>/tumblr/

wait, shit, I forgot where I was for a second

fucking faggot.

>No cute twinks
Dropped

But... it's not? Like, yeah, these characters are gay, but there's also more to them. Like, the only reason why you're making this comment is because you're not used to seeing so many gay characters, because I sure as hell am sure you aren't complaining whenever a medium has only straight characters. Like, just imagine this comic as being like a comic that has only straight characters in it, like, I suppose Batman. Every romance in Batman is straight and there's no mention of homosexuality, but you're not complaining about that, are you? So, imagine this comic like Batman. Sure, they're all gay or whatever sexuality they are, but that's not all they are. Batman's straight, but that's not all he is.

Isn't Catwoman wearing tight latex be considered a horribly straight stereotype? Isn't Tony Stark, who sleeps with various women, always winking at women, always slapping their butts, or asking them out on dates, a character whose whole shtick is "I'm straight!"? Everyone in the Justice League comic is straight, who are in straight relationships, kissing and flirting with people of the opposite sex, but you're not complaining, asking "Why are they so straight?!"

tbqhf tho this comic is probably going to be terrible

Oh I'm sure that'll do well. Like Boom's last lovely outing.

That blonde kid is Steven Universe.

Espace is a really good LGBT comic. Ithe has some of the best art I've seen in any comic, and actually raises a lot of really interesting questions about the LGBT community

hooooly fuck I've never seen bait this potent
well done user, you probably didn't anticipate anyone seeing through your bait so soon but I did

you can head back to tumblr now, we don't really give a shit about any of this

most of those character stories do not focus in their sexual relations.

>White Steven

LMAO this art sucks

>there's finally a comic about a group of gay boys
>it has tumblr art
I don't know what I expected.

FEHCKIN GHEY, KEHD

being gay is literally deviant, so there's a necessary double standard when it comes to characterisation
because homosexuality isn't the norm, it has its own unique culture and set of experiences

Neither is the comic in OP's post... probably. It just says it's a comic that focused on a group of gay kids in high school and I'm pretty sure there are thousands of comics based in high school. It just happens to be the case that this one is about the gay kids.

Like, imagine that this comic was revealed, but they weren't gay. Now add that they're all gay. That's literally it. They're gay. That's all. It's not like the author said the comic would explore every facet of gay culture.

Like, if all the characters in the comic were straight, but the premise of the comic, that it follows a group of kids in high school, remains completely the same, you know you wouldn't care enough to post in this thread. And besides, it's kind of unrealistic to make a story about a gay character without involving some sort of mention about how gays are viewed by society.

>t's kind of unrealistic to make a story about a gay character without involving some sort of mention about how gays are viewed by society.

This is true and that why I like x-men because besides dealing with powers, some teens also deals with nationality, religion and sexuality in their own way.

To be honest i dont know where it says this comic in OP will involve gays, I guess we will have to wait, I will download it from the win-o-thread when it comes out and see how the writer handle gay characters if there is any.

stop it

Except what's different? The whole culture is a fabricated thing. I come home to my family. They don't know I'm gay. We watch the same movies, sometimes argue about politics at the dinner table. We eat the same food and drink the same water. I don't want to be pictured as some special kid that needs care. I just want them to see a normal guy that goes after dudes instead of women, because at the end of the day we're not that different.

And yet SanFran media wants to put me on a pedestal and show a really polarizing depiction of what gays are not because of their concern but because of some stupid agenda. That's why I hate the LGBT community because it's cancerous and sees me as gay first and human last

Homosexuality is a sexual fetish. It is not caused by Nature, you are not born gay, you choose to be gay over a long course of personal choices when developing your sexuality. The mainstream media can you lie to the rest of the public about how it's not our choice, but I've grown up all my life in California surrounded by homosexuals, it is 100% a deviant, selfish, self-interested fetish.

To make a character gay is to shove their sexual fetish in everyone's face.

>Except what's different?
Uh... the fact that the bathroom bills that have recently been passed in several states allows companies and businesses to fire you or deny service to you for being gay. Straight people don't have that happen to them.

Gay people get bullied for being gay. 40% of homeless youth are gay, having been kicked out of their house for being gay. Straight people don't have that happen to them.

Ted Cruz, who had a sizable base before dropping out, supported a pastor who literally said, "Kill all gays." Like, it wasn't some phrase that could be misinterpreted; the pastor literally said, "Kill all gays." Yet Ted Cruz supported him.

Straight people don't have that happen to them. So you can't make a story about gay character without the fact that them being gay affects how they're going to act because of society. Doing otherwise is unrealistic.

>They don't know I'm gay.
>I just want them to see a normal guy that goes after dudes instead of women, because at the end of the day we're not that different.
But that's the problem! The point of these stories, which feature characters who just happen to be gay, is to show that they're just normal people who just happen to be gay.

Like, you seriously don't see the problem with the fact that you won't come out to your family? Like, you cannot tell me your family won't treat you differently for being gay. If they don't, then come out to them and prove me wrong.

>And yet SanFran media wants to put me on a pedestal and show a really polarizing depiction of what gays are not because of their concern but because of some stupid agenda.
Like what? Because I'm pretty sure every show that puts a gay character's sexuality first are the ones making fun of them for their sexuality. Not exactly "putting" them "on the pedestal."

>That's why I hate the LGBT community because it's cancerous and sees me as gay first and human last
What do you even mean?

>>“It’s very important to me to explore things that are more personal,” Tynion told NYT. “I was a stage crew kid growing up myself. It’s a very strange place that always held a special part of my heart.” The New York Times also points out the parallel between "The Backstagers'" diverse, all-male cast with the diverse, all-female cast of fellow Boom Box series "Lumberjanes."

we made it, boys. this is the beginning of the age of acknowledging gay men instead of just lesbian and trans

>implying this comic won't get dropped after it's sixth issue
Lets be honest with ourselves here.

>Gay people get bullied for being gay. 40% of homeless youth are gay, having been kicked out of their house for being gay. Straight people don't have that happen to them.

That's what you get for choosing to be disharmonious with nature for the sake of perverted self gratification.

>Straight people have never been kicked out of their homes for being gay.

Sound logic.

>Gay LGBT Queer Comics

This is so redundant, why post this?

>Isn't Catwoman wearing tight latex be considered a horribly straight stereotype?
It's interesting that you included this in your examples.

I'm a straight female and even I like ol' Selena in a latex suit.

>Uh... the fact that the bathroom bills that have recently been passed in several states allows companies and businesses to fire you or deny service to you for being gay. Straight people don't have that happen to them.

the bathroom bills effect trans people, not gay people.

You know I mean straight people haven't been kicked out of their homes for being straight. You're just being pedantic.

I do too. When I wrote that, what I meant was, why don't people say Catwoman is putting her straightness first? Like, anytime there's a gay character who flirts with another character of the same sex, people, here on Sup Forums, get riled up asking "Why are they so gay?!" but like, isn't Catwoman wearing skin-tight latex and seducing men being "so" straight?

The bathroom bills are mainly about trans, but they also include provisions about gay people as well as veterans. They allow businesses to discriminate against you for your sexuality and also defund programs for veterans, in addition to everything else in the bills.

I'm patiently waiting for you to throw the word breeder. And I'm 100% sure you're a white male guy with a tumblr personality that don't really get any of this struggle. Because you have concentrated on BS topics that tumblr loves to wave around completely forgetting important shit like insurance claiming, hospital visits, wealth sharing and will rights. You know. Important problems you will never face with that beta dick of yours.

>That's why I hate the LGBT community because it's cancerous and sees me as gay first and human last

>What do you even mean?
This is a problem with LGBT media across the fucking board. Being gay, doesn't define who you are. You don't have to be that token flaming fairy, yet it's all that's really expected the moment you say you're gay. This isn't just by straight people but by gay people. LGBT media is just awful. 9/10 it's just a shit coming out movie or acceptance. Rather than moving the fuck on, we are stuck with the same themes and the same situation. I want more gay main characters but I don't want them in an LGBT book I want it to be a fucking normal comic book. I want midnighter not fucking Young Avengers.

primary subject goes in primary board.

I'm gay. And Asian. And you're right, those are important, yet for some reason, right after gay marriage was legalized, everyone seemed to just forget about those things. Like, I remember when the Supreme Court was debating on gay marriage, there were news stories about lesbian couples being denied visitation to their loved ones in the hospital, et cetera, being constantly ran, but the moment gay marriage was legalized, it all stopped. Like, do people think gay marriage being legalized suddenly solved all the problems that gay people have to face? Yet anytime you bring those issues up, there are swaths of people who'll rage and say to you, "Gays already have rights! What more do you need?"

Also, you do know this is a comics and cartoon board, right? Not exactly a place to discuss non-Sup Forums related issues. Plus, I'd say representation in mediums is actually very important. That there are very little LGBT characters means most people won't ever have to interact with any sort of LGBT, which in turn causes homophobia, transphobia, et cetera, because of their lack of knowledge and experience. Like, I know many people will call me foolish for being so, but I believe that comics, television, film, books, all of this can help gay, trans, bi, et cetera people. In addition to showing straight people that gay, trans, bi, et cetera people do in fact exist and aren't just stereotypes, representation can help the youth. Being able to see someone like yourself represented is incredibly powerful, because otherwise you would feel like a pariah, if there was nothing similar to you in mediums and in society. It would make you feel alone.

Uh, I'll respond to your post, but I hit my maximum word limit. Will write soon™.

posting best lesbian in cartoons

Okay. I too want a comic with a gay main character that doesn't make it explicit or even mentions it. Like, just have the comic be normal, the MC is a superhero fighting the day, and maybe on like, issue #25, they introduce a new character, and on some thousand issues later, the two kiss. It'd be so cute. It's my dream to become a comic book writer and write a story like that.

But I think your dislike for Young Avengers and comics like it (I didn't enjoy YA either) has less to do with the LGBT group than it does with shitty writers. Like, there are good stories with gay characters like you want, like Midnighter!, it's just the case that those types of stories don't sell, and I don't think that's the fault of the LGBT. It's my theory that straight people don't want to read a story that has a LGBT character that isn't obvious. This even includes straight people who'd consider themselves to be "allies." I think they want to read stories where gay characters act obviously gay because it makes the "allies" feel better about themselves. It lets them think, "I'm reading a gay story! See how supportive I am."

Also, I think LGBT youth are probably going to read those types of stories too, especially coming of age and acceptance ones, because lets be honest. LGBT youth already have it tough in school, so they probably want to read a story that has a feel good message in it.

Also, this is unrelated, but would you consider "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" by Benjamin Alire Sáenz to be a bad representation of gay people? It's my favorite book and I want to know if my tastes are shit.

those are not bullshit topics, i'm pretty sure cultural acceptance is important to have all those things you list. It may be not be your favorite topic, but the topic at hand is representation in media and related issues. what is being discussed is a comic on a comics imageboard, after all.

Everything else you said doesn't really need adressing, it's frankly too dense.

>I still don't get why sexuality has to be such a character defining trait.
Because the people pushing for "representation" have practically no imagination

Wallace from Scott Pilgrim is probably my favorite Sup Forums gay characters because he (probably unintentionally) is a spin on that notion. He's gay, and his friends treat him as "they gay guy" when in reality he has it together better than anyone in the cast

never be a comic book writer, you'd go bankrupt
so how's your first time on Sup Forums? Sup Forums sure isn't as close to tumblr as you thought, eh?

I take your point on representation in media, but you have to remember, people won't necessarily look into it, or may ever reject it because of homosexual connections. Ballad of Gay Tony sold horribly because people thought you'd play as a gay guy named Tony. You can't force people to accept something.

Can someone explain to me how Steven Universe wasn't white before?

Can someone also explain to me how Mike Wallace doesn't say the dumbest thing in the world in this clip? youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s

Maybe it's a bit Sup Forums but two major companions in New Vegas are 100% homosexual and that's not their defining trait at all. Actually Arcade is such a great companion to talk to no one even says a thing about him being shoehorned. He's there as a broken idealist not something out of a pride parade.

And I agree on Wallace.

Honestly people would hate your guts for a swerve like that. Look no further than what Gene did to Bobby.

Wallace was like the coolest character in the whole story.

>tfw still drunkenly quote Wallace
Fucker is too based for that book

I actually agree with most of what you're saying, but Catwoman is bi.

I come from a country where the government denies homosexuals any rights right now sans a right to live a bachelor's life. And due to how to 'liberated gays' behave in other countries it's very hard to break the stereotype of that. And LBGT community is very much to blame for that. So please never ever become a comic book writer and perpetuate that toxic bs.

Try the Less than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal. It's a really well done road trip story and the art is gorgeous.

houseofdiversity.tumblr.com

No. That was a fucking travesty. He has sixty years of backstory of being straight. Then was made gay. It's different than that.

My issue is that after you watch about 5. They start to be boring and you know whats going to happen beat by beat. LGBT media needs to move on they need to focus on making a story first and rather than putting gay as the first and foremost identifying feature. Make it so that it's about a person first, who also happens to be gay.

Also, I haven't read the book. I just haven't been a fan of LGBT media in a while. I still watch it and read it from time to time but it's the same shit.

>Was midnighter the one with that hilarious bait and switch in the (really fucking crappy) new 52 Valentine's day special.

WHAT

>all those times saying "gay" and "queer" like some wooden pitch

The shill is strong in this post.

Yeah, that's true. A homophobe isn't going to pick up a comic like the one in OP's, but I'd argue that having representation is better than none. If at least one homophobe has his mind changed because he read a book or watched a show that included a gay character in it, then isn't it worth it?

Excuse me? Oh, okay, so, what, should women have to fucking wear burkas just because of the Middle East? Should we all stop celebrating Christmas because China wants us to stop? Seriously, go fuck yourself. Just because you live in a third world shitstain of a country doesn't mean other countries have to suffer for you.

So, I don't understand why you're angry at the "liberated" gays and not at your own damn government. Oh, America actually has gay marriage and LGBT rights? Damn, that must be the reason why your country is so homophobic!

Hey, dude, in China, the government detains anyone that would provoke protests. The fact that you're talking about homosexuality so openly on the internet might actually get you detained. Right now you're enforcing the stereotype that gay people break the law, so you should stop posting because you're just making it harder for the gays in China. So please, stop perpetuating that toxic speech.

>Catwoman is bi
That's riiiiiiight. I guess, instead of putting her straightness first, I mean the appearance of straightness.

>bunch of theater kids
>all gay

shocker

Thank you for a normal response related to the topic

Jesus you guys, you need to fucking calm down

OP here, yes, I'm a faggot, I like lots of good stories, I want a good story with characters, is it so wrong to want gayness too? It's just a genre

Get your egos and butthurt in check

Gay pride wasn't made for those reasons, it's also not intended for straight people

Why are straight white people so ego-centric and vain? Not everything is for or about you

I'm gay and it's a shit genre. I'm not going to stop calling it that because as a Genre. It needs a fucking major overall.

>Oh, America actually has gay marriage and LGBT rights?
considering it's illegal to kill them for their sexuality I'd say yes.

straight white people don't have a monopoly on being ego-centric and vain

It doesn't need to be the only one though, it could be slice of life, science fiction, fantasy, whatever,

It'd be nice to have a little gayness just as a break to every thing else

I agree that there does need to be Better gay comics and stories. Something like Midnighter or Batwoman or The Question (renee Montoya)

>are not born gay, you choose to be gay over a long course of personal choices when developing your sexuality
pls die old meme

So all those guys are gonna run a train on that boy, right?

Satellite Falling just started and features a lesbo main character. There's even a scene where she holds hands with another girl.

>James Tynion
>that artstyle
Not looking good

sorry your thread got derailed OP, but I can rec you some good queer comics anyways.

If you're not super tied to gay men specifically, and want some cape stuff, then Batwoman's the best there is I think. Start with her mini Batwoman: Elegy.

If you want a bittersweet, philosophical (though kind of naval-gazing at times) queer memoir, then Fun Home is very well done.

The Rictor/Shatterstar bits of X-Factor are an excellent portrayal of a gay (well, bi tecnically) relationship, but I don't remember the issue numbers. You should read it all anyways, because it's a great book.

The Authority has great Apollo/Midnighter stuff, if you haven't read it already.

And there's lots of great queer webcomics, from the super professional stuff like T.J. and Amal (which got mentioned earlier in the thread), to the hilariously raunchy and equal-opportunity Oglaf.

Sorry if you've heard of most of these already, I don't know how much you've read comic-wise.

I didn't read any of this thread 'cause it looks like bullshit, but there's a webcomics general on /lgbt/ that's posted with the tag /wcg/. We have a pastebin wirh a bunch of different comics, and the discussion is (mostly) a step above the rest of the garbage posted on that board. We even have our own memes!

I suggest going there for lgbt comic discussion. Despite how tremendously gay Sup Forums, only webcomic lesbians get any real attention without full thread derailment. The gay cape threads are successful, but they're pretty distinct from webcomic discussion.

>Batwoman

Done and Done, I really like her

>Fun Home

On my list, might take a while to get there, have a lot of other books as priority

>X-Factor

I've heard of it, don't know much about it, I'll give it a try and some research time

>Authority

Yes, loved Authority, going to go back to Midnighter solo and Stormwatch

>Queer webcomics / TJ and Amal

webcomics usually don't do it for me but if enough people have recommended TJ and Amal, I'll give it a try

>Sorry if you've heard of most of these already, I don't know how much you've read comic-wise.

At least it's relevant to the thread, I don't know what everyone else was thinking. Thanks for the recs