Star Trek

I've always considered myself a huge Star Trek fan. Started when I was young , watching TNG.

I've watched every series , except Voyager. Don't even know why I skipped over it.

Started matching it on Netflix this past week, and I can not stop watching it!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k
youtube.com/watch?v=BQVDNX1e5ic
youtube.com/watch?v=J5Q9T1rxIZI
youtube.com/watch?v=7oncAGFBHzY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's interesting. I feel the exact same opposite way. I hate Star Trek. I've always considered myself to be an opponent of Star Trek, since I was young. Never liked it.

Have seen several opportunities come along to watch it and have just not been interested. Don't want to watch it!

A Koo Chee Moya

Voyager is kind of underrated at this point. People judge it by its worst episodes for some reason.

It's worth seeing, really good series over all.

Was he /ourguy/?

I watched voyager while it was on tv. Didnt catch every episode, but caught most of them and enjoyed it when I watched it. Never really went back and watched it, but I also havnt done that with any of the star treks.

Course I also hated enterprise, so I guess im the minority here

I've seen every Star Trek series at least twice at this point and never plan to watch Voyager, Enterprise, or TOS ever again. I rather wish to see DS9 at least one more time and would probably watch some of TNG again (NOT the first season)

Trekfags, I never watched the series, but I remember watching one episode on television like 13 or so years ago.
The ship was stuck in some sort of groundhog day, the day kept repeating and they kept getting destroyed by an enemy ship.
In the end they finally managed to send a message trough time or something and escape their destruction.

I fucking loved that episode, can anyone direct me to it? I'd love to watch it again. Ever since I catched that I have a thing for time travel stuff in films/series.

Voyager isn't that bad, but I think I get why it gets a lot of shit. It's hard to get super into because there were three series before it which fleshed out the universe super well, and by DS9 the political climate was really interesting.

Voyager just flushed all that down the toilet, which was especially hard to watch after DS9 which was serialized.

Cause and effect, m8.

Who would win in a 1v1, tuvok or worf?

Thank you. :)

Tuvok wins cuz he's a Vulcan & their plot armor in the Trek universe is on par with Batman.

Worf can only beat other Klingons...otherwise he's as useless as tits on a goose.

See also The Worf Effect

"...Sorry"

I didn't really mind Voyager's episodic nature, just more of a "missed opportunity" thing where the writers could've taken better advantage of the situation to tell better stories. Everything was always too clean and never conveyed the stranded ship far from home idea very well. I did like the relative clunkiness of Enterprise's ship and tech, but there again it seemed the writers were deliberately avoiding stories that could've been told about that point in history. The temporal Cold War and that Xindi thing mostly fell flat.

But there's some real gems like Timeless and Living Witness, or even The Haunting of Deck Twelve.

Also recommend Window of Opportunity from Star Gate. It's a groundhog day episode as well and considered one of the best episodes in the series.

Trek has some pretty god-tier time travel episodes, like Yesterday's Enterprise and The Visitor

Klingons are secretly shit at fighting. Worf always loses fights against non-Klingons of course, and we also see little petite women like Kira beat them up, but the ultimate proof is that even Archer can beat Klingons up and Archer is the worst captain at fistfights and constantly gets his ass kicked by anything other than Klingons.

>Kahless, the greatest Klingon warrior in history is a fat little manlet

I think you're on to something

I try to get into this show but it's just so fucking boring, slow and lackluster. It's impossible to watch.

I've enjoyed both Star Trek TOS, and TNG growing up, but didn't have access to UPN when Voyager aired. This year I've caught most all of it airing on BBC America, and believe it is pretty good, but not as much as TNG.
Voyager seems to follow many of the stories, and style of TNG, but some of Voyager seems a bit too routine, as if TNG's mechanics on autopilot.

Voyager remained stuck in a rut doing exactly what TNG did over, and over. Certainly that can be enjoyable, but also tiresome, and repetitive.

Although if I had to choose between Voyager over Enterprise or JJ Abrams's Star Trek, I'd go with Voyager without hesitating.
Voyager at least had the TOS/TNG mode of Star Trek I'd grown to appreciate.
DS9 was incredibly boring, and to this day I cannot understand fans liking it. The only episodes they talk about from DS9 are the episodes that are the most like TOS, and TNG.

Voyager has its problems, but it is still better than JJ (doesn't know Star Trek) Abrams.

Did you try TOS or TNG? Give both a try. I think it's really engaging and charming desu. Some eps are exciting too.

Oh I didn't realise you were probably talking about voyager. My bad.

Blogpost 1/2
I'd just finished TOS, TNG and DS9. Each series felt like it built on the previous one.

TOS introduced the premise and setting. TNG updated the same premise and expanded the universe with more modern storytelling. DS9 had political intrigue between the previously established powers, combined with more serialised storytelling and characters who I really liked, made for a thoroughly enjoyable series. Brought the Star Trek Universe into perspective for me.

Voyager then felt like a step backwards. I understand why the producers wanted to get back to basics with an episodic series aboard a starship. Probably thought DS9 was getting to far away from what made the original so popular.

The premise of a Starship stranded in an unexplored region of the Star Trek galaxy sounds great on paper. We'd gotten to know your Vulcans, Klingons, Cardassians, Romulans etc. pretty well. Let's create some new ones!

But I agree with that it's a case of missed opportunities. They could have combined the traditional starship setting with the serialised nature of DS9. Having the condition of the ship and finite number of resources could have been a great sense of tension and suspense. Instead we got this kind of continuity youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

The main problem is probably that I just didn't connect with most of the crew. Tom, Harry, A Koo Chee Moya. Hearing that the main cast were asked to keep their performances monotone and restrained probably explains why I didn't get into the show as easily, just coming off DS9 which had developed real camaraderie. The best character on Voyager from the beginning was the Doctor because Picardo gave him a real personality.

Seven had some interesting episodes but felt too calculated a concept. Everyone loves the Borg, what if their was a Borg with big tits and a spandex uniform? She can be like a sexy Data, rediscovering her humanity. Wasn't the Doctor doing that? Ah, who gives a fuck.

Blogpost 2/2
It's also pretty hilarious that they asked the actors to tone down their performances to make the aliens stand out, when the aliens were the least interesting characters of all! I can't believe they spent two seasons on the Kazon. Putting a different name at the end of Kazon doesn't actually make them different!

I do like how each series delves into different aspects of previous Trek to keep that feeling of a shared universe while giving each series it's own flavour. DS9 avoided the Borg altogether but had the mirror universe plotline. And Voyager gave the fans what they wanted by eventually making the Borg the primary antagonists. Though again I can't help but feel they left Borg space too quickly and easily. Could've been a whole season arc.

The first two seasons were almost impossible to sit through but like I said, I did warm up to the series the longer I watched. Especially once I started using an episode guide. And hey, it's nice to know there's more episodes available if I ever desire.

So next up is Enterprise, what should I be wary of going in? I've watched about two episodes in the past and didn't hate it. The premise of seeing humans exploring space and early relations between them and the Star Trek races we know today is neat. Also, no actual prime directive in place. Looking forward to some radically unorthodox space adventures. I've also wanted to get to know more about the Andorians for a while and knowing that Jeffrey Combs plays a recurring Ando? Sounds incredible.

I know people push the 'ENTERPRISE IS BEST TREK' meme which to me implies that it's actually ok and is unfairly maligned but far from the best.

Wish he was /myguy/
Toptier brown qt

>it's a Chakotay meets his ancestors episode

Wasn't it aliens with telepathy shit pretending to be his ancestry?

I haven't seen voyager but deep space nine was pretty boring
Thanks for the recommendation, I might give those ones a try if they're on TV. Just a question though, is the continuity good between series?

we are far from the bones of our ancestors

Hope you like them user. I haven't actually seen the other series yet so hopefully someone else can answer your question. I don't think there's real continuity between different series though, only within each series. They are in the same universe and there is overlap as well as references but it's different crews for different series.

Love TOS/TNG

comfy Voyager
alright Enterprise

BORING DS9

Each of you... is going to have to live with this. And I'm sorry for that. For you are all good... good people. My colleagues. My friends. I forgive you.

ENT>VOY>DS9>TNG>TOS
prove me wrong

Literally impossible, bravo user

I think I like all the Voyager crew and it would've been nice to see what they were really capable of, if the whole "restrain your acting" thing is true. An unfortunate mistake, and I wonder if they did the same thing with some of Enterprise's bridge crew. There it seemed to become the "Trip, T'pol, Archer" trifecta, with Hoshi and Mayweather and sometimes Reed left on the sidelines.

Maybe Paris and Janeway became somewhat "mary sue" characters, capable of a bit too much problem solving. They just left too much unexplored; conflict with the split Fed/Maquis crew could have yielded many good stories. I recall watching the series when it first aired and thinking that 7 of 9's catsuit was dumb fanbait, especially the high heels. Should've just stuck her in a plain blue Ensign uniform.

You know for all the time they spent on the Kazon, did they ever try telling any more complex stories about them beyond "these are bad guys"? TNG tried to make Romulans more nuanced and less one dimensional. There was little mentioned about the events leading up to and past overthrowing the Trebe; had to have been something worth writing about there.

But then there are good (to me) episodes like Course:Oblivion, barring the annoying reset button. Even though the Voyager crew knew they were nothing but copies they were determined to uphold Starfleet ideals to the end. That the probe with their mission records was destroyed before launch seems like a missed writing opportunity.

The Kazon were an unfortunate misstep early on. No matter how much the producers insisted they were nothing like the Klingons, they weren't very different.

The supposed concept was that they were like warring gangs, with different sects vying for power but translated to screen it's just Kazon with different last names.

I laugh every time I'm reminded of Michael Piller describing the Kazons season 2 arc as "a deep investigation of [the Kazon] that will turn them, I think, into perhaps one of the top five adversarial alien races in Star Trek's history"

Mike, they're Klingons with hair that looks like kush.

I hate that every sci fi show/game/film has to have a warrior nigger race or person. They have much less to contribute in that setting because they are just too violent and aggressive. Really, how often should you need someone who's good at hand to hand combat in sci fi?

>hey you, what do you think we should do in this complicated and delicate situation?
>LETS KILL THEM! LET ME GET AT THEM I WILL RIP THEIR SPINES OUT!
>okay any other suggestions?

Alexander Siddig is eternally /ourguy/ even in unrelated series.

Kys pasta faggot

So you want /k/ in space instead? I'd be up for a series with a designated operator guy

"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."

Also, can someone name even ONE (1) good episode where the crew encounters a tribe with hamfisted messages about women and sexism.

Star trek TNG had the ep where tasha gets kidnapped
star gate had that awful ep where carter was kidnapped

Anyone else like the episode "Starship Mine"?

aka Die Hard in space starring Captain Picard.

It was good ye

I like that there was no pussying out, Picard straight up murders them all

people ignore it because it BTFO the meme about Picard being a weak ass faggot, despite him killing multiple people and not even letting that woman escape at the end

Killed one guy with worf's crossbow too

oh shit i had no idea he was Doran Martell

also
>his fucking full name

>Captain, leave anything for us?
>Just bodies
>*80's keytar riff*

Yes it has a few gems like Equinox and Year of Hell.. the doctor is GOAT, seven's alright

It was the last time we had a legit startrek. As far as I'm concerned Ent already shat all over the lore long before JJ came along.

Stop supporting Bajor

Holy shit what did Tuvok mean by this?
youtube.com/watch?v=BQVDNX1e5ic

>federation to galactic core is about 40% of voyagers trip (a 70 year trip with 100 years later technology)
>Enterprise-A goes there and home in the span of one movie

u wot?

>It's a Picard murders Tuvok episode

Is this even real anymore? I can't tell where the meme ends and the episode begins. Was it all a meme in the end?

>NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

youtube.com/watch?v=J5Q9T1rxIZI

Can Sup Forums beat star trek jeopardy?

youtube.com/watch?v=7oncAGFBHzY

I'm watching DS9 for the first time and just started season 7. Is it just me, or did the writers completely ruin Dukat? The way he offed Jadzia was the most ridiculous thing I've seen on this show and every other time he's been on screen (so far) he pretty much just twirls his mustache and spergs about MUH SISKO REVENGE REEEE. Was he too popular of a character or what?

(pic unrelated)

their moral ambiguity bit them in the ass when Dukat became a fan favorite and people agreed with him so they tried to turn him into evil space satan

Yes, Dukat became a 1 dimensional super villain instead of a complex individual

Basically because he was a nazi allegory and DS9 got in trouble for showing that as anything other than pure evil

So they had to make him literally Satan

>Horny old woman who is obsessed with sex takes a klingon child with a BBC to a sex resort holoprogram and swims with him naked in mud

What did they mean by this?

That's sad. I really liked his character and was hyped whenever he showed up, but now I feel disappointed every time he comes on screen, like he's an entirely different person.

Stop defying the Founders.

he got corrupted by the darkside of the wormhole

>It's an Alexander AND Luxwana episode

they have named this 'the worst of both worlds'

How can there be any war crimes if there wasnt even a war

When does voyager get bearable? I'm half way through the second season and it's taken four months. Tuvok, EMH and 'tall blonde man' are the only characters somewhat enjoyable, with Kes, female geordi+worf, Janeway and Indian were the absolute worst

It's a comfy monster of the week show with some gold-tier Trek episodes sprinkled in, it's easy to just sit down and watch a whole season.

Tuvok a best

What's the link for the viewing guides

I like Lwaxana. Fight me

>viewing guides
You know those are elaborate shitposts right?

>Star trek TNG had the ep where tasha gets kidnapped
>star gate had that awful ep where carter was kidnapped
Both episodes were written by the same person, Katharyn Powers.

HOLY SHIT IT'S REAL

It's the only episode she wrote for TNG too. What a fucking hack.

Blame Rick Berman for making Terry Farrell leave. If Dukat hadn't killed her off then he could have stayed ambiguous.

why did no one on the crew of the Enterprise commented about Spock's father being the Romulan commander they fought before?

I bet when you look at one of those guides, you agree with 170 of the ratings, but you disagree with the remaining 5 ratings, and then you have an autistic fit because nobody should EVER be allowed to disagree with you on ANYTHING.

They didn't want someone to accuse them of being racist.
>Doctor, are you saying that all Vulcans and Romulans look alike to you?

>get accused of being a traitor because you look like a Romulan
>later on your father visits and looks exactly like the Romulan guy

that ensign was right, there's something fishy about that pointy eared guy

Will the real Darhe'el please stand up

http://
tinyurl
.com/
StarTrekViewingGuides

>You will never get A COOCHIE MOYA'D

Why live?

I'm pretty sure people didn't agree with him, but they empathized with him. Kind of like Londo from B5

Just make up your own mind.

>You will never get TUVIX'D

Life is suffering

>When my son looks back on this day, the only thing he'll remember is that a Federation officer on a Federation ship invaded his home, and kept his father away from him on his eleventh birthday. And he won't look back with understanding. He'll look back with hatred. And that's sad.
;_;

I made up my mind that Sub Rosa is trash, but /trek/ still tells me that I'm retarded and not a "real" Trek fan because I dislike it.

Romulans and Vulcans are the same race tho. It would be like getting in to a fight with a black American, then accusing the next Nigerian you meet of being your attacker.

yeah, I am sure he would have grown up differently if not for that

>I don't like a quintessential Star Trek episode
>smart people tell me I am not a real trek fan
it's just a logical conclusion

>You will never be a poor little Ocampa girl that gets featured on KAZON'D.COM

FUG

The best part about this show has been reading Sup Forums discuss how it was a total clusterfuck behind the scenes.

>did the writers completely ruin Dukat? The way he offed Jadzia was the most ridiculous thing
Don't blame the writers for that, Terry Farrell quit DS9 to go be on fucking Becker

>a fistfull of data is bad

fight me nigger

I think all holodeck episodes are shitty.

>wanting to spend 2 years scratching in the dirt, 3 years as a Kazon onahole, and 4 years as a washed up hag
some life

t. DS9 fan