1980, but that Beef Jerky packaging is modern

1980, but that Beef Jerky packaging is modern.

Why? This whole film feels incomplete and off, despite individual aspects being enjoyable. How does this even compare to There Will Be Blood?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6fuuDg1HOoE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>How does this even compare to There Will Be Blood?
It doesn't. But it's more accessible, so the vocal majority of spewing plebs tend to view it more favorably.

Boy, I sure hope someone got fired for this blunder.

Every white man should read Blood Meridian.

It sucks

Friendo, what business is it of yours?

Lol who the fuck was alive in 1980?

Holy shit, I just pointed this out to my sister 2 days ago when we watched no cunt

You suck.
Blood Meridian is badass

they had plastic packaging in 1980, shit for brains

the logo and design is post 2005

Nobody
The world was born in 1980
And The Empire Strikes Back was released

Exactly.

The white stripe at the top of the display unit is more correct, but the actual product below is not. This was the first time I watched the film, and was trying to determine if it was supposed to be a period drama, and this mistake, coupled with the phone record really took me out of the film. The Record was such an important piece to the plot but details of the universe are clearly wrong.

>coupled with the phone record really took me out of the film.

?

I didn't even realize it was supposed to be the1980s. When was this indicated in the film?

The bell telegram, or whatever, phone bill that was mailed to the Llewelyn house, was obviously an old, period appropriated print compared to the 2005 Beef Jerky. I didn't like the convenience of the phone record in moving the story forward, anyway. Regardless, the Snickers Sign and the Beef Jerky fuck-up is too big to ignore. The I respect the reason they made this film in a pre-cell phone era, but stuff like that makes me wonder if the story was always meant to take place in 1980.

Every car, chigurh wearing bellbottoms and having donny osmond hair, etc.

But I'll agree that it could be easy to miss, I assume texas still looks like that today

>The story takes place in June 1980. When Chigurh tosses the coin for the gas station proprietor, he says that the date on the coin is 1958, and it took 22 years to get there. The phone bill Chigurh picks up is dated 1980, and 1980 is the date of death on one of the graves.

I think, without doing the math, it was fairly obvious the film was certainly not in late-80s or later.

>Intensely dramatic scene between two people with the imminent threat of danger
>OP is focused on beef jerky in the background

What a collossal fat ass faggot

Also Llewellyn being a ~40 year old Vietnam vet

This is a huge error. You can't produce and direct films and have this colossal of a 4th wall break and play it off in any way that saves the film.

The cutting made it seem intensely dramatic, with the performances, but it's hard to ignore the entire background to the left and right of Chigurh on the reaction shots. Not to mention, Chigurh's whole philosophy is juvenile and just violent. There's never an arc in his justification. I'd be fine with not showing what Llewellyn really did on camera, if the Tommy Lee Jones scene introduced a deeper idea to Chigurh's philosophy, but it doesn't.

It feels incomplete.

I mean, not that the movie is some masterwork of cinema, but of all the things one could nitpick in this entire universe, you chose a fucking beef jerky packaging not being era appropriate.
Jesus.
I honestly can't fathom how autistic a person has to be for that to take them out of the movie.

You're acting as if this one tiny mistake (not a colossal one, you fucking autist) completely ruins the film.

>it's hard to ignore the entire background to the left and right of Chigurh on the reaction shots
It's easy to ignore, actually. I think only autistic people noticed.

You're probably one of the faggots who thinks the door in the SUV being closed in a shot prior to Tim closing it in Jurassic Park is some kind of major flaw.

You probably wear socks in sandals and have a ponytail.

>Chigurh's whole philosophy is juvenile and just violent. There's never an arc in his justification
he's not supposed to have an arc. He's destruction plowing through Hollywood character tropes.

It was an intense scene why the fuck eveb look whats in the background?

>He's destruction plowing through Hollywood character tropes.
That assholes are asshole? There Will Be Blood demonstrated this far better.

This is not an issue of Continuity, which is understandable, this literally breaks the time/space of the film, and everyone on set watched it and said nothing OR, they decided later to make it 1980. I don't know the order they filmed this, but it's possible.

Yes, because it would be just as retarded as having a Digital Billboard in a 2017 Film Noir set in the 40s. This entire Cohens Flick is about style cohesion and this important scene literally breaks it's own mold for a reason we don't know.

>because it would be just as retarded as having a Digital Billboard in a 2017 Film Noir set in the 40s
>a billboard is the same as a shelf of beef jerky in the background
You're autistic.
Get help.

Man you are textbook autistic.

Your right, the Billboard probably wouldn't be visible directly behind the Subject.

What an insult to Kino, guys, really. This is sad to be defending.

>But two movies I recently liked would’ve been much more complete without it. Here’s the problem. Around 2005 Jack Links beef jerky changed their logo. They used to have a cool logo reminiscent of the Hereford United crest. Now they have some sort of modern bull-like symbol and a Sasquatch.

>I wasn’t too worked up over the redesign until it showed up in the famous “friend-o” scene of No Country for Old Men. Javier Barden is deciding poor but lovable yokel’s fate with a coin flip and I can’t focus because the Jack Links display, as it appears in the movie, couldn’t possibly have looked that way in 1980. Everything else looks right except that damn beef jerky.

>It only took me about four years to get over this. But then I was watching The Fighter a few weeks back and there was the Jack Links again. Right there, on the nightstand, a post-2005 pouch of jerky providing sustenance to a battered mid-90s Micky Ward. That movie was full of anachronisms – the Citizen’s Bank and Patriots logos were wrong – but it’s only the jerky that really gets me. That’s my wheelhouse.

>The only way I can think to remedy this is a personal boycott of Jack Links. Nothing but Tillamook Country Smoker sausages for me from here on out. I know its not Jack Links fault, it’s the filmmakers’, but I don’t encounter a set designer every time I step into a gas station. This is the only avenue I have.

>If I were working on a movie would I really halt production to get period-appropriate beef jerky? Actually, I probably would. That’s just me.

This kid gets it.

>a giant billboard and a pack of beef jerky are the same thing

wew

Also, why do you keep comparing it to There Will Be Blood? They're completely different films.

Because he's retarded

OP I hope you are just baiting with all these posts.
If not then I'm afraid you have actual autism.

ITT: real autism

Take notes people, this is what it really looks like. Remember this the next time you call somebody autistic.

2 critically acclaimed period films released in 2007, featuring Cold-To-The Bone leads in stories that go to show Fate, but people moreso, are cruel. Not to mention the similar grading.

>Pointing out an incredibly obvious issue in a Film
>Let's talk about why
N-NO U RETARD! JENNA FISCHER AAAAAAAAAAAH

>>It only took me about four years to get over this
Imagine being this autistic.
Just fucking imagine.

Quick question OP what is your favorite film? Or one that you value highly?

There Will Be Blood because it didn't have era-inappropriate beef jerky packaging.

Please stop shit-posting in my discussion thread. You added not only nothing of value, you just had, and I mean HAD, to screech about it (probably because of actual autism)

Not relevant to the topic or discussion, but you fags sure love to Ad Hominem to make sure your "voice" is heard.

Keep putting the "Sup Forums" in "/tv" guys!

You wanted to talk about how the wrong packaging of fucking beef jerky in the background of one (1) scene is dumb and immersion breaking.
It isn't, it's just you being the autistic waste of space that you are.

Jack Link's didn't even exist until 1986

Here are 4 inconsistencies in There Will Be Blood www.moviemistakes.com/film7212
and if those 4 meaningles mistakes actually change your opinion on the film, you're an actual turboautist that needs to seek help

Being non biased here to pro and anti jerky-jerks

If the new Star Wars movie had a tiny, insignificant background event in it that was not canonically correct, Sup Forums would explode into non stop shitposting and endless memes regarding it. Hell, I'm sure the entire internet would poop themselves with non stop bullshit about it. And that's a made up universe.

I'm not saying that the beef jerky being modern is a fair assessment into considering your review of this movie. No Country For Old Men is a modern classic. The film may very well be the Coen's best work. But if you are making a piece set in a certain period, then the period around the story should be sincerely taken into consideration. Big or little details included.

We wouldn't let someone slide if they fucked up the lore to one of our beloved series; no matter how insignificant. We are one to call out this man for being an autist when we are all guilty of freaking out over minor mistakes over something we love in a film/tv series.

I'm just saying. Imagine that jerky bag as General Grievous sauntering around in the background of the Death Star in Rogue One.

>Imagine that jerky bag as General Grievous sauntering around in the background of the Death Star in Rogue One
I honestly wouldn't care, Rogue One was shitty enough on its own, General Grievous being there might have even made it better.

>We are one to call out this man for being an autist when we are all guilty of freaking out over minor mistakes over something we love in a film/tv series.
Speak for yourself, autist.

>The white stripe
youtube.com/watch?v=6fuuDg1HOoE

fuck off with this johnny depp shit

They were the neck and neck best picture front runners. I was 11 at the time and was rooting for No Country. I grew up and realized TWBB shits on it.

>How does this even compare to There Will Be Blood?
it makes there will be blood look like trash (which it is). anderson is a hack and his "acclaim" is a meme

You do realise they don't change it because the cost of getting 80's Beef Jerky for a scene that only autistic fucks who go frame by frame to 'catch them out' would notice is not worth it.

It's the same with plotholes and other crap.

When I watched No Country for Old Men in the theater someone stood up at the end and loudly said, "Well that was a waste of two hours!" and a bunch of people laughed.

congrats, you live in a degenerate area

Did the other Muslims and Niggers start to go OOOO OOOO AAHHHH AHHHH and throwing shit at each other afterwards too?

>autism

Is beef jerky posting a new meme?

Jerky postin?

They could have just taken the jerky out of the shot and put something else there instead. It's not like beef jerky was mandatory for the scene.

>Beef Jerky packaging is modern

What the fuck are you talking about? Beef jerky and slim jim type beef sticks were packaged like that since far before the 70s/80s, it was my favorite snack growing up.

If you're saying Jack Links and some of those brands weren't around back in that day, you may be right. But it doesn't fucking matter.

NCFOM was still a great movie. I'm sure you can find little details that aren't period perfect in anything.

Blood Meridian was a poorly written scattered mess. I read it until they got to mexico and gave up on the complete lack of redeeming qualities.

Is it endearing that it has antiquated values regarding race? Sure, but that doesn't save it from just being a fucking meandering turd. Sure, it will say spooks, and spics and talk about the savagery of the red man; just as someone who existed at the time would.... but that's not enough.

Maybe I just don't like Cormac McCarthy, but it was the only one I've ever tried.

Post a picture of the packaging from the 70s or 80s then.

>the only reason someone would like Blood Meridian is because the characters say mean things about other races
What the fuck kind of logic is this?

Don't forget your meds today grandpa

I'm trying to wrap my head around why anyone would like it. I genuinely don't understand. All I could come up with is that the character's values at the time seem genuine.

And it does always seem a bit endearing to me when people portray the Old West as it was, they don't try to sanitize it under a pc filter.

Sounds like perfect Sup Forums logic to me.

You didn't like it, okay.
That doesn't make it bad, or poorly written.

>it's more accessible,

No, it's not, TWBB it's a pretty simple and straighforward story with all its cards on the table and a boring third act. NCFOM is much more ambiguous and problematic structurally and thematically.

This. Only in Sup Forums could a fucking capeshit fanboy redditor think that everyone shares his autistic dedication to the purity of a film franchise.

I'm starting to realize that the relationship some people have with video games and movies is the same others have for sports.

wow I hate this movie now, thanks OP

>37 years later
>the only difference is phones and beef jerky packaging

>the movie is about how little shit actually changes over the decades

... huh

People forget that the whole point of this scene is that Chigur is tricking the gas station attendant to accept only a quarter for his snack+ the gas, when it obviously cost more
The fact that it flew over the gas station guy's head AND all of your heads is pure pottery

Daily reminder that in this scene, the coin is dated 1958, and the current year is 1980, a difference of 22 years, as stated by Chigurh.

Later, A full frontal medium shot of the mother-in-law's tombstone reads: "AGNES KRACIK 1922-1980". For a woman who lived to (at most) 58 she looked quite rough, but then she had "the" cancer.

There's literally a line that's like "This coin was minted in 1958 it's been waiting 22 years to get here."

>Sup Forumsfag faces his own reality

kek