DC Comics Unveils New Logo to Debut w/ Rebirth #1

>DC ENTERTAINMENT INTRODUCES NEW IDENTITY FOR DC BRAND

>New Logo Design Celebrates DC Brand’s Past, Present and Future

>Logo to Debut on May 25 Release of ‘DC Universe: Rebirth Special #1’ by Geoff Johns

>BURBANK, CA, May 17, 2016 – DC Entertainment announced a new identity and logo for its iconic DC brand. The new DC logo is a mark that leverages over 80 years of heritage with an eye toward the future.

>“While comics continue to be the heart and soul of DC, the brand has evolved to now stand for powerful storytelling across so many different forms of media. DC is home to the greatest Super Heroes and Super-Villains, and the new logo has the character and strength to stand proudly alongside DC’s iconic symbols,” stated Amit Desai, DC Entertainment Senior Vice President of Marketing and Global Franchise Management. “The launch of the new logo is the perfect tribute to DC’s legacy, exciting future and most importantly, our fans.”

>The new logo will debut on the cover of the highly-anticipated DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH SPECIAL #1 comic book written by Geoff Johns releasing May 25 and available in comic book shops and digitally. REBIRTH represents the next chapter in the ongoing saga of the DC Universe, mixing traditional values and a modern aesthetic.

>“I’m very proud that REBIRTH will be the first comic book published with the new DC logo.” stated Geoff Johns, DC Entertainment’s Chief Creative Officer. “To me, REBIRTH and the new DC logo are built on what’s come before while looking to what will come tomorrow. I can’t wait for people to see it on the cover.”

Much better than this last one at least

Other urls found in this thread:

dccomics.com/blog/2012/03/06/dc-entertainment-reveals-new-brand-identity
logos.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Comics
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>The new DC branding will be introduced immediately on various digital platforms, including DC websites, social media channels, DC All Access webseries, and DC All Access app and will continue to rollout worldwide across all DC content and products. One of the many benefits of the new logo design is its versatility to showcase DC’s iconic and timeless characters and stories across all media. Look for the new logo to come to life at key events in the coming months.

>The new identity and logo were developed in partnership with Pentagram, the world’s largest independent design consultancy.

For fucks sake DC stop this shit.

2005 and the 90's bullet were already perfect

Still look like trash. Like something om the side of an auto factory. Seriously stick "Automotive" under it and it would fit way more then "Comics"

Is this a joke?

Didn't they literally just rebrand themselves? How much money and group-testing does this shit cost?

>Blue Circle Detective Comic comics

Really ?

Maybe a little too ubiquitous.
It'll work well across comics, movies, and TV but I feel it's lost some of the impact previous logos had.

1976 is absolutely perfect, my rose-tinted glasses make me say.

2005 is a great modern logo that works across lots of different media as well.

Oh god this is the worst one so far

i miss 2005

I still think the 2012 logo was great, in theory. They just never actually utilized it well. I feel like they intended to create mini-icons (or BARE MINIMUM, unique color schemes) for each book, but somewhere along the way, they just never got to doing it for ANY books. From the things I've read, Omega Men is the only one to have covers that uniquely used the logo.

So somehow the new logo represents them branching out into film.

Car industry, more likely.

Way better than the last two.

>DC comics
The worst thing is I like the logo, but the guy who thought putting comics behind it was a good idea should have been lobotomized

It's pretty obvious. The angular parts on the inside of the two letters, notice how sharp they are? And how there's two of them?

You know what else is sharp? Nails

You know who had two nails through them? Jesus

LOGOKINO

dccomics.com/blog/2012/03/06/dc-entertainment-reveals-new-brand-identity

In 2012...

>"We believe our new brand identity will strongly resonate with our loyal fans who will want to proudly express their affinity for DC Entertainment and their passion for their favorite stories and characters, this new look allows them to easily do this. In addition we were excited to update our identity, it's not often a company gets to revisit something as important as its brand and we took the opportunity to make sure it represented the multi-media business we set out to build with the formation of DC Entertainment,"

Im just happy the logo no longer say Detective Comics Comics

Arrow,Flash, Constantine and Gotham used it well

just bring back the fucking bullet

>Detective Comics Comics

That was the worst part of the 2012 designe, it was made by people that was absolutly clueless.
76 and 2005 were the best.

i like it, better than the last 2 logos.

That's a lot of marketing buzwords for not much meaning

fuck me

Pic related is exactly how they could have used it on the comics BUT THEY NEVER DID (at least on the big books, like the exact ones shown in pic: Batman, WW, Action Comics, etc.).

I mean, for fuck's sake, they basically imply in that they're going to mix things up and individualize the logo for at least their main books:
>"The new identity is built for the digital age, and can easily be animated and customized to take full advantage of the interactivity offered across all media platforms."

That's auctualy pretty cool
Doesent fix the ATM machine problem but otherwise pretty nifty the way they can make it work with different colors

They can't use the 2005 any more

source

I think it's cute. Kinda retro

Why? The last one was good..

I'm now mad about things I didn't even know or care about before now, user. I'm not sure if I should thank you or not.

Oh boy I sure am going to enjoy all my DC books having 3 totally different fucking spine logos

THANK YOU BASED GOD

Fuck that sticker logo was awful

I fucking LOVE IT

cry more

Good riddance

>only having 3 different ones

Some of mine just have a plain "DC" in black or white on the spin and not a logo at all
I don't really give a fuck

they tried suing DC shoes for their logo, only to realize they hadn't patented/trademarked their own logo when they were countersued

I liked this one. much better than actual.

I wonder ho wmuch DC paid for someone just tweaked a old logo

>only to realize they hadn't patented/trademarked their own logo
What the dark fuck? How does that even. Oh my god I can't begin to fathom this sort of thing.

You didn't actually think comic book companies were staffed by competent people right?

It's like how Penders got to keep all his Sonic OCs because Archie didn't have the right work-for-hire paperwork or whatever.

why the fuck is DC so retarded bros?

don't they realize that NOT changing your logo is how to build a brand

fucking dark horse, image, of course marvel. but even other companies have iconic brands....BECAUSE THEY DON'T CHANGE THEM AND THEY BECOME ICONIC OVER TIME

ford, GM, coca-cola, mcdonald's, IBM

I love this logo. It goes with the theme of all the old logo's of 'DC' in the circle. This one doesn't seem like it would fit well at the start of a film or end of a TV show though, so I wonder if this one new will be purely just for Rebirth?

>Literal toilet seat
>Good

It's like you WANT to be laughed at by Marveldrones

You're not wrong, but it is just a publishing company and an IP farm. The only publisher logo I know outside of comics is Penguin books because it's cute.

DC has had like 10 logos in 70 years.

Why can't they just get a nice stable logo, like Marvel?

Marvel's logo always triggers me because the only letter not touching any others is the L and it's awful. Why would someone do that?

Holy shit I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to come off as that one guy. Now there's two of us so it's fine.

>Logo: Rebirth
based

Because the E would look retarded if it was touching the L

Looks better than Brand Synergy logo, even if it is a bit rustic looking.

If all the letters can't touch then none of them should.

Because E and L would form an even worse-looking super letter.

Nigga, look at it

Only a little bit.

Damn that looks ugly.

Looks too much like some appliance logo.

Just use the 1976 logo, it has resonated with a generation well and still looks bold and pops out.

Great new logo (a lot better than the 2012 and 2005 ones), has a nice vintage feel... not liking that the letters are touching the ring tho.

I wonder when/if they will apply it in other media (movies, tv-shows) too.

it's not 1938 anymore

Other way around. I have some Marvel trades where on the spines they use the same amount of space between the E and the L on the other letters and it looks fine.

how do they keep getting worse with this just bring back the '76 one

noice 1 D00D

JUST

C O M P A N Y W A R S

It's ugly enough to be a Jim Lee design. Still better than the last one but that's not saying much.

That IS the same amount of space. It's just not noticeable on the other letters because they're slanted

That C is hideous.

What?m It's a genuine statement. The modern Marvel logo created in 2002 is slick, modern, easily recognisable. When I think red and white, my mind goes to Marvel. I can't say the same for black, white and blue and DC.

>its an autist user gets triggered by other companies episode

The "open page" logo kind of stuck with me now, but I like this new one. It's an updated Bronze Age logo. It's new, but retro. Really like it.

But Marvel kept on changing logos till they settled on that logo in the 2000's. They made some minor changes of that logo in 2013 to copyright it.
logos.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Comics

i like it
much better than Detective Comics Comics

No I mean between the ends of them. The letters are not touching.

2005 is the best imo

>When I think red and white, my mind goes to Marvel

I'm more of a Christmas kinda guy myself.

>When I think red and white, my mind goes to Marvel
what is Coca-Cola?

just cut the bullshit and rename it BATMAN COMICS.

Open page was a decent idea but the end result just looked like a sticker rather than a page

>I wonder when/if they will apply it in other media (movies, tv-shows) too.
Supposedly they're transitioning it immediately. We'll see if Suicide Squad has it in the intro.

'76 looks best imo, it's simple and recognizable

I don't like it, at least they've gone back to the circle though. Maybe they can try sticking with the logo this time. Marvel's logo works because it's a nice easy rectangle with two solid colors, instantly recognizable and cheap to stick on t-shirts and other things. Whereas with DC, their last few logos have been complicated or have used gradients instead of solid colors, it's generally not a good idea.

The new logo looks like a logo I'd see for the city of Washington DC while coming into Reagan National. God, what a shitty airport.

>blue logo on blue background

FUcking hideous

id rather Marvel's 90's logo back
that was the best

That giant M was retarded but I loved it

Someone update this with the new logo

3edgy5me

Marvel's had a ton of logos too, newfag.

Update it with all the logos instead

I miss that logo.

No, that looks like shit.

Goddamn that blue and yellow lower middle Marvel one gives me a flood of nostalgic emotions

STOP CHANGING YOUR LOGO DC.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I like it. So long as they fucking stay on that logo for a while

I'm particular to the "80s slant".

3D render with filters when?

That's not corporate enough. A logo needs to evoke feelings of class and sophistication. Coca Cola. Walt Disney Corporaton. Harpo Studios. Marvel.

It's so much better than 2012 I'm honestly just relieved at it. Like I get it's not perfect compared to previous logos (I think the bullet logo from 1976 is probably still the most iconic one they have), but it's at least a step in the right direction so I'm certainly not mad.

It does set up a nice contrast with Marvel's logo. Marvel's a red box, DC's a blue circle, bing bang boom, you got two easily distinguishable logos.

I want to go Joker on Alonso's hand.

>Oh god this is the worst one so far
Never change, Sup Forums.

That is a good logo, well done. It will also look good in different colors, which is something the previous two logos lacked.

While we're here, Vertigo's logo is pretty good.