Did Prometheus Ruin The Idea of the Space Jockey?

I think a lot of people think the idea of turning the Space jockey into a 'space suit' containing albino body builders might have ruined the mystery behind the Space Jockey from Alien. What do you think? Here is an interesting video on the subject:
youtube.com/watch?v=H85Wz0g0Ai0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/eKxLnCzOhqo?t=29
youtube.com/watch?v=KOqtnU2faTc
youtube.com/watch?v=MKbITZXs3-E
youtube.com/watch?v=Ii-OQyIleWk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I expected a space jockey to be the monster in Prometheus. A hyper-intelligent, hyper-advanced creator from another world to whom the dreadful aliens are like pet hamsters. Instead they gave us dumb bald jokers who can't store dangerous liquids right.

Who wasn't disappointed?

Backstory should stay in the back. That's why its called backstory

Ridley Scott has done a Lucas and shat on his own legacy

I was never a fan of having the space jockey explained, but the more I think about the less it bothers me, Alien is such a good movie, I can watch it has a standalone movie, besides, the space jockey in alien was way bigger than the one in prometheus.

Go back to plebbit. No brainers should leave Sup Forums and never come back.

Not just the Space Jockey but the Alien itself. Better to leave their origins a mystery as it makes them seem scarier

It would be better if left unexplained. Just have aliens out there in space that will rape you.

Yeah, the size of the thing was quite bigger and hell, it clearly had a hole in the fucking RIB CAGE. And also it clearly had eyes. That long shot that stays on the eye after the crew moves on is perfectly eerie - when I first watched it as a kid I almost thought it might have moved.

The engineers from Prometheus could have worked, hell the film could have worked. But consider the intro to Alien and the intro to Prometheus.

>Alien: crew wake up after long flight, introduce crew, weird alien world, strange mission, suspense. Plot is shown, not told, each piece of the puzzle asks more questions

>Prometheus: flashback, weird alien drinking goo, flash, a cave or some shit, flash, ship, David montage, flash crew wakes up, briefing explaining the plot.

Imagine Prometheus if it'd had the "classic" start; crew wake up, meet David, pair of flaky scientists explain mission to them, David has been leeching in on your dreams in stasis. Uncover weird alien structure.

I'll argue that's a better movie right there

I'm pretty late to the Alien party, but it seems like the engineers are only interesting because they were a mysterious element in a well made and beloved movie, not because they're actually interesting outside of aesthetics. There doesn't seem to be an organic story there that needed to be told, especially when it seems the original motivation for making everything in the movie look the way it does was "Damn, Giger's art looks like *that*?" I don't think this stuff is really supposed to make sense.

Prometheus should have just started with the Engineer waking up for what ever reason and the entire movie just following him while is is going on

>I'm pretty late to the Alien party

I feel genuinely sorry for yourself and others who have only just recently got into Alien because you'll never experience how great it was before Prometheus and all this Engineer shit was introducted

sadface.jpg

fuck off reddit

I was a kid in the 80s, I had a toy of the Alien

My parents bought me a toy of a Freudian rape monster...

Seriously though; Alien and Predator were once looked on as decent movies with cool protagonists. Now they're cult franchises or some shit

You have it the wrong way around you contrarian faggot. Rebbit loves Alien being turned into a gay Star Trek space fantasy shitfest of nonsense.

Sup Forums preferred Alien to stay as an adult film series with realism.

>My parents bought me a toy of a Freudian rape monster...

I found that pretty hilarious as I've gotten older. We had toys of literal penis-headed space rapist monsters.

That's why I think it might be a bit different for me, I'm 30 but managed to completely avoid seeing any Alien movie until recently. I didn't grow up wondering what the deal was with the elephant man or anything like that, so maybe it's easier for me to just accept it as an aesthetic piece and move on.

That and starship trooper toys.
penis head monsters and brainwashed cannon fodder

Nah, Ridley Scott just has a history of being a fucking hack.

I still collect brainless canon fodder

>bad prequels retroactively ruin the original
unlike star wars, they're the same exact movies as 38 years ago

We weren't a rich family but a kid I knew had a terminator toy where you could pull off and replace the skin. He also had Robocop toys including a huge ED209.

So I manage to get hold of a VHS with Robocop on it, must have been about 89, watch it sneakily without my parents expecting it to be fun. Watch that opening ED209 scene with the happy fun robot.

BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM

Childhood ruined!

No they're not. It's like finding out your wife sucked the cock of your worst enemy before you met her. It just wont be the same again.

I think that Ridley should have stayed away from the alien with these movies, the alien or xenowhatever is tired concept, he should have explored new possibilities, Prometheus was almost a good movie, I haven't watched covenant yet, that movie had the potential to be something new and original but it seems that it's another wasted opportunity.

you're fucking autistic if the mere existance of a sequel or prequel somehow changes the original in your mind, it is literally the same exact movie

The alien books are canon over Ridney Scott
The Space Jockey is a tall elephant dude and they were on the Alien homeworld, and took some eggs home to experiment/use as weapons/whatever. The pilot got FaceHugged and chestbursted resulting in the ship crashing.

>this literal fanfiction is canon and something made by the guy who started it all isn't

yep. Ridley Scott is that bad now that he's lost control of his own product

This is how people from tumblr think just fyi

Good to know that you know how tumblr thinks man.

It does though. It's hard to unsee something. The Space Jockey will never be this mysterious, millions of years old, alien spacecraft ever again. No matter how hard you try and forget Prometheus.

For me Prometheus didn't damage the mystery but changed what we were presented and looking at in 1979.

shut up, redditor. no one liked your casual flick.

I don't fucking understand what people want from this franchise.

It's either bitching there aren't any xeno's, bitching that they have xeno's, nitpicking every single little detail, wating the movie to be more like Alien, wanting the movie to be more like Aliens. The fucking fans need to neck themselves. You aren't going to have the original Alien ever again, xeno's aren't scary anymore.

What are you finding hard to understand? No-one cared about xenos not being in Prometheus.

The core problem was that they turned pic related into a Star Trek story and took the alien out of Alien.

It's your own fault for thinking there was deeper meaning behind any of Gigers work. You could look at any of his art pieces and create an elaborate story behind them but in the end it's just a piece of modern art that looks cool.

>No-one cared about xenos not being in Prometheus

youtu.be/eKxLnCzOhqo?t=29

>"Damn, Giger's art looks like *that*?"
Please tell me I'm not the only one here who's fapped to it?

Wierd. I literally just stop watching that video...

But anyway. Yeah Ridley completely missed the point.

Hilarious how he made two movies worse than resurrection.

He fucked up by making them too big in the first movie.

What's the alternative?

come on I hate prometheus too but it's not that bad

Covenant is the third best alien film. It even retroactively makes Prometheus better.

Prometheus doesn't have Winona Ryder.

Checkmate.

I like how they simultaniously overexplained lore from Alien [Space Jockey = bald guy] but at the same time explained nothing about the new lore to keep it vague.

>unknown mystery for losers on boards to circlejerk

>use for a movie that can make millions

gee what a hard decision

>Please tell me I'm not the only one here who's fapped to it?
I'm not as secure as you are about my sexuality, I mean, what the hell am I looking at, it's not male but it isn't female either.

It's like you look at a dali painting and try to explain the culture of the tall legged elephants

Ridley Scott needs to be put in an old folks home

Scott didn't start shit, Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett wrote the original script and most of the iconic things on the films came from O'Bannon and Giger. Scott was just a novel director with luck.

It doesnt matter what it is son, thats part of the allure.
>mfw finding the animated versions

>Childhood ruined!
you must have been a fucking faggot child user.

No it wasn't it was ruined by the Crystal Skull, no the ROTS, or was it TPM???
How many times over has it been ruined?
oh Poor boy.

animated version?

this used to be my wallpaper for years and I wouldnt masturbate to it in particular, but I'd be masturbating and hover over hide windows and just stare at it and think about shit for the first few months, too the put I'd almost lose erection.

Yeah someone animated a bunch of his stuff for an art exhibit or something. Cant really remember, but I do remember watching a giant alien penis penetrate xenos vagina.

This.
I'm literally being triggered whenever some bitch-ass-nigger acts like Scatt was the sole creative force behind ALIEN.

It was great collaborative effort, with main creative force behind the story being O'Bannon and Shusset, unforgettable design work by Giger and Cobb, eerie soundtrack by Goldsmith and great Directing by Scatt.

Didley is a great cinematographer, but for the love of God, keep him away from story work, he's like Lucas in that regard

The minute they said "it's a helmet!" was when the movie was ruined for me. I couldn't believe that shit...and the movie just got worse from there.

that pics deserves Koyaanisqatsi and yes with Scrubs. youtube.com/watch?v=KOqtnU2faTc

You people want the same shit repeated all over again. Not a way to please you, fans will always hate new ideas. The alien formula has been done many times in other movies.

Why do you call him Didley Scatt when Didley Squat would make more sense?

this deserves Koyaanisqatsi
yes with scrubs: youtube.com/watch?v=KOqtnU2faTc

Yes.

Before, the Space Jockey was a total mystery. This added to its charm.

By giving a film (every film is in some sense canon whether fans like it or not) backstory to the creatures, the mystery is ruined. This is the big tragedy. Next to this, the confusion over helmet/non-helmet is trivial.

Forgive the following run-on sentence:

But OTOH lamenting the space jockey's ruined mystery was by that point a moot point in the sense that the universe had already been beaten to death and badly mishandled by the intervening shit movies, including Resurrection, the AvP flick(s) and to a lesser extent the also-not-that-good Alien^3.

You people want the same shit repeated all over again. Not a way to please you, fans will always hate new ideas. The alien formula has been done many times in other movies.

>Childhood ruined!
Dude I remember watching Robocop on TV when I was like 5 and that scene didn't shock me one bit
I also remember watching Titanic at the same age and I literally tried to draw Rose when Jack was drawing her

That's actually a very interesting drawing of Baphomet from an /x/ perspective

Its like the WY bio weapons devision. What those guys get up to is a complete mystery. What kind of crazy fucking bioweapons are they making?

the truth is they are making crazy living dildos.

I had always assume they were a caste of another alien race. Like they were bred for the task of being pilots, and thus were biomechanically connected to the ship, but are modified versions of the alien race's base form. I think I might have gotten the idea from Dune or 40k or something,

And the ship was a bomber, filled with biological weapons they created/harvested from a separate species, probably not native to their world.

The space jockey was always a minor point in Alien, the movie's focus is elsewhere. The exact reason why nerds focus on the jockey is because making up your own fanfiction is easier than trying to understand film. It's fucking 40 years later and if you ask people what they thought Alien was about they'll say
>rape or something I dunno, the monster is so cool lol

childhood is thinking Alien 3 is not-that-good

adulthood is realizing it is on par with Aliens.

not kidding, this is literally how you can determine if someone's brain has fully developed yet or not.

I thought that too. Like the ship was actually biological and the pilot was permanently fused in there.

David is the Space Jockey headed to Earth with his perfect creation of organic & mechanical creation(Eggs) in the hold but was some how already infected/infected during travel before crashing on LV-426

youtube.com/watch?v=MKbITZXs3-E

>Walter is the Space Jockey
ftfy

>all white marines
wow. racist much?

>It's like you look at a dali painting and try to explain the culture of the tall legged elephants
>Ridley Scott needs to be put in an old folks home
I do wonder if explaining any of it ruins it.

At least they could have left some stuff unrevealed.

Though I like the Promethean themes of creator and creation, fire from the gods, I don't think it was as good as it could have been. Of course any reveal might have been ruined by the years of mystery.

David kills Walter & replaces him before leaving the Planet with survivor/survivors & they figure it out as David places the last one into Cryo-Sleep

"Kills"

No body, no crime bitch

clearly Zach Braff is the spawn of Satan (who is clearly the horned god in that pic, not Baphomet, because I am an ignorant American who attributes all evil in the world to Satan)

>Before, the Space Jockey was a total mystery. This added to its charm.

>By giving a film (every film is in some sense canon whether fans like it or not) backstory to the creatures, the mystery is ruined.

I think the real problem is that the space jockey was never a hugely compelling mystery in the first place. It was just mysterious enough to merit discussion among fans, but not mysterious enough to be the basis of an entire film. Not every unknown is great story waiting to be told. We could easily conjecture what the space jockey was.

>marines
GTFO casual

It sure did.

Haven't seen anyone of the alien series

What's the best order to watch them in?

Release order, like a normal person.

Like he said. But I also recommend including the first AvP between Resurrection and Prometheus, the reasons for this will become obvious once you're watching the latter.

>I think the real problem is that the space jockey was never a hugely compelling mystery in the first place. It was just mysterious enough to merit discussion among fans, but not mysterious enough to be the basis of an entire film.

This.

I actually don't mind having David creating the xenomorphs (as we know them in later films). But the destruction of the Space Jockey mystery was not needed.

I first saw Alien 3 when I was 12 years old in the movie theatres with another girl. When it ended and I walked outside, I remember feeling like I had been raped. Everyone dies in the end, it was super tragic. I think a lot of people didn't like that level of tragedy but I respected it on some level for it's toughness. It was just fuckin harsh for that time period. That's when I became a David Fincher fan.

Then why the fuck cast a warning message in an alien language? shit is getting more retarded every second.

Could have been a garbled message which was deciphered as an Alien language. Or the message via the ship was only able to transmit messages through the engineers language.

It didn't go back and ruin the original space jockey in the original film. As far as I care, Prometheus and Covenant are non-canon.

But yeah, they really dropped the ball with it. They could have done something interesting with it, instead they squandered all the potential they may have had.

Oh and by the way, some film buffs might like the original inspiration

youtube.com/watch?v=Ii-OQyIleWk

The dark horse comics already introduced the space jockeys as a creature/alien not a man in a space suit. Not sure why he had to change it to a man like alien

If David created the facehuggers and eggs then what was the mural in Prometheus with the eggs and facehuggers all about?

Thing is, I think Xenomorphs had existed for a very long time, its just the specific modern version we know as of now, was made by david. Not the Xenomorphs as a whole but the one we've come to be familiar with.

Look at the Alien at the end of Prometheus, clearly Xenomorph like, just not the same.

I agree but it was implied that he made the eggs from Shaw's womb. Perhaps replicating then?

Why would an alien wear a space suit while in a space ship?

Go home, kid.

>The Space Jockey will never be this mysterious, millions of years old, alien spacecraft ever again. No matter how hard you try

I feel genuinely sorry for yourself and others who have this inability to separate fiction at will. Canon isn't real, it's a decision made by the viewer.

Give him a break. He has aspergers.

Maybe. He wouldn't take Shaw's womb/insides out without reason. I assumed it was because the modern day Xenomorph is mostly a splicing of human genes with the Xenomorph template.

Like, that giant ass facehugger in Prometheus was clearly a beta or "foundation" build of the Xenomorph prototype/creature. I assume it can be altered as necessary depending on the required infestation.

I like to think David did as I said previous, made the modern xenomorph, but not make them from the ground up. The tools to create a creature of some xenomorph form were there, just David altered it or built it from the foundation to what we know today.

Replicating? I don't think quite that. More like "I am forming this piece of deadly virus jelly into a more specific form specialized in parasitic behaviour".

So people know he's in space. Same reason you wear a partyhat at a party, so people know you're at a party.

>Sup Forums
You misspelled /super reddit/