Is David Lynch overrated?

Is David Lynch overrated?

No

>look at my stupid hair
okay? is that why you spam this faggots face every day

Stop overrating me

Oh hell yes. A total hack too.

no, and the three types of people who dislike him are as follows :
there are contrarians who just want to sound edgy.
there are normies/retards who are brainlets.
and there are pretentious fags who think they are above things that are more mainstream than whatever hard to find things they watch.

If you dislike Lynch you probably fall into one of these groups. Just because Lynch has found mainstream success and has drawn in a lot of different crowds, does not in anyway diminish the power of his work.

If you, deep down, have a serious problem with disliking Lynch because it is popular or overrated, or don't like how Twin Peaks has in someway been adopted into normie/nerd culture, you are retarded and fucked.

Also stop asking for opinions on Sup Forums, it's no ones job other than your own to develop artistic taste.

No he isn't.

I wood halve too cei "no"

I don't think so but that said I couldn't sit through Inland Empire. I loved all his other stuff though

Shitposters go away back to Sup Forums

How is the last guy shitposting?

Extremely, yes.

what a pretentious faggot

He's really not. Man is one of the last true artists in film. You can't be overrated when everyone and their mother tries to rip your style off and fails miserably - i.e. His vision is so profound that it inspires imitation yet it evades reproduction

He's overrated in the same way Pink Floyd is, in that he has two separate fanbases. Both of which recognize his supposed genius, but one of which fellates him tremendously and lauds him as this transcendent visionary who's anything more than a talented filmmaker with the ability to weave intricate storylines.

He's a true artist.

I first watched Twin Peaks in the early 2000s and there was something eerily familiar about the show even though i'd never watched it. It's because the show was huge in Japan apparently and had a huge influence of video game developers there. So many games basically plagiarized the music.

case in point

Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive are overrated, but they're so overrated that they make the majority of his work underrated.

Twin Peaks is basically a live action anime that hugely influenced tons of actual anime.

>i follow the rule of symbolism. nothing important can look like what it is
It's that simple to be avant garde?

just a little bit desu

Blue Velvet is the Emperor's New Clothes of films. The acting and dialogue are atrocious. I do respect Lynch's concept that some people are simply evil and there isn't anything more to it; but even allowing for that the characters are pretty stupid.

ur an idiot

My 15 y/o cousin "loves" his work but he only watched Inland Empire and Twin Peaks. I'm pretty sure only teens that think they're cleverer than "normies" pretend to like him.

This happens every time I've mentioned that I think Blue Velvet is one of the most overrated movies on Sup Forums. Someone will criticize me and my intelligence without substantiating anything and further confirm to me that it's the Emperor's New Clothes of films

YEH

agreed. its over rated trash that tries to be shocking so you ignore its plot holes and shitty acting/writing

stay mad normie

What plot holes are there?

> no one in a apartment notices a rotting decaying corpse

thats a big one

I appreciate the effort that went into making this post appear creative

Whose apartment? What decaying corpse?
Do you mean Dorothy's husband? Who was probably brought to the apartment that night?

why would they bring a corpse anywhere other than a place to bury or disspose of it? theres one.

its more complicated if they brought it there. why didnt he die there? what would be the point bringing him there but not his ear?
shit writing either way you look at it.

>but but its based because he showed some naked spic chick lol and the villian was a fucking white male lol

So i watched today whole season 1 and it was nice. What should i do next? I heard s2 and the movie are shite but i want to be prepared before s3. I'm torn apart right here lads.

Blue Velvet is his most overrated film by far. It still does retain a lot of the artistic merit you see in other Lynch films but besides that it was underwhelming and overhyped. The mobster guy from Lost Highway is more memorable than Frank Booth.

They brought him to the apartment alive, and then they killed him there. They removed his ear prior to the start without killing him.
He is not a rotting corpse, he was clearly killed recently. Stop talking out of your ass and just stick with Twin Peaks.

Has anyone got into transcendental meditation because of him? I just found out about it and it seems interesting, Scorsese apparently does it as well. On the other hand it seems quite cultish. Not sure what to think.

>mobster guy
Mr. Eddy/Dick Laurent? I felt that Frank was scarier, he seemed to have this air of unpredictability about him that Mr. Eddy didn't. Like you'd know if Mr. Eddy was gonna come after you, but with Frank you could never tell what he was going to do, he was so volatile in his emotions.

As long as you don't stop taking what doctors recommend, you may as well give it a go.

Kinda

I'm interested. A lot of cool celebrities seem into it, and with Lynch especially endorsing it so much with how he works, it must be very useful

Meditation is a pretty beneficial thing to take up but it's pretty clear that the organized meditation movement is about making money off of rich western people than anything else. Go ahead and learn it but don't convince yourself that you have to pay an old, bearded indian dude a lot of money to do it correctly.

No person with cinema knowledge rates him, so no

See>three types of people who dislike him are as follows :
>there are contrarians who just want to sound edgy.
>there are normies/retards who are brainlets.
>and there are pretentious fags who think they are above things that are more mainstream than whatever hard to find things they watch.
So which one of the three are you? I'm guessing probably 2, then 1

Does that apply to the illiterate?

just marathoned last 6 episodes of twin peaks what did i think??

I'm saying not all opinions matter, if lots of plebs like him (like the case of Lynch) it doesn't become overrated

WOW BOB WOW

>hey brought him to the apartment alive, and then they killed him there

for what raisen?

>lol dude lets cut a part of body here then take a alive bleeding man all the way back to his appartment but like there wont be any witnesses to see or hear us because plotholes and lazy writing just to be shocking lol dude

agreed david drumpf is a shitty "artist" who neer has black people in his worksq. all his stories are the same thing

wow creepy part of town that everyone thought was normal quiet place

wwwwwoooowwwwwwwwwww

watch season 2 up to episode 9 and then stop

We don't know where his ear was cut. The ear being cut took place before the start of the film.
I mean, nothing you've talked about has happened in the film. And to top it off, nothing you've said would even be considered a plot hole.

did twin peaks have the first ever apple laptop product placement in season 2 episode 11

>dude weed lol

thats all i hear from you
so its not a plot hole that the hole movie is based on a shitty set up

>what if some druggy lunatic brought back home a bleeding screaming man who is about to be murdered but no witnesses see or hear anything in a crowded city apartment but like then he lives there and white guy gives a spic drugs(instead of the other way irl) and she goes all the way naked to the suburbs and no one notices or calls cops to the plot deems it too be a schocking moment so lol like what if everyone is looking and its awkward because hes a teenager with a a screaming naked beaner on his lawn that no one noticed from her house in city to his house in suburb, lol no one saw ahahaha
how is that good writing? every time the bad guy does something or something bad happens theres never witnesses or cops or evidence or a audience going this is retarded because they are lynch drones and lol dude weed scenes are more better than plot to them

Definitely not. The majority of his movies are great and even his less than great movies like Wild At Heart are still pretty good and hold to his style of filmmaking. The most people can say is that he's pretentious but most people using that term these days are using it incorrectly.

Eraserhead and Mullolland Dr are pure shit. Twin Peaks is okay at best. No idea why people like this guy.

>The most people can say is that he's pretentious but most people using that term these days are using it incorrectly.

only pretentious people say people use pretentious wrongly.... what a fag. lynch sucks. hes a old racist fat white guy.
>Eraserhead and Mullolland Dr are pure shit.

isnt one of them with some retard baby and a lady with a beard singing through pipes.......... ughhhhhh i hated that movie. his "art" is just him trying to be edgy so people think hes smart or something. plus he never has any blacks in his movies.

Maybe he thinks white people are more aesthetic than niggers.
I don't see you complaining that Jews have obtained a stranglehold over the cultural production and financial industries, and feature only their own in the upper management of those ventures.
You're probably a hook nosed kike, frightened that someone might force you to disgorge your gains, and determined to liquidate us all before it happens, that's why.
It's ok. Everyone gets frightened from time to time.
And sometimes, it's for good reason.

>Maybe he thinks white people are more aesthetic than niggers.

hes wrong according to every girl ive ever seen interviewed also thats very racist blacks are more prefereed sexually
>You're probably a hook nosed kike

now your being ante sesmetic. reported.

Eraserhead is the one with the deformed baby. It's just pure nonsense. Easily in my top 5 worst movies I've ever seen.

No.

Don't listen toWatch as much as you can

Yes. Massively overrated by idiots.

agreed

+1

i like that he is a one of a kind, and nobody really tries to imitate him, but yes. his work never feels human, and thats ok in some movies. but ive never watched something of his and thought there was something big to take away from it. i guess with technical skill, he is good reference. but i cant think of one movie of his i like

this frankly.

He's great at what he does. But he's not without fault and not everything he's done is gold despite his autistic super fans saying otherwise.

However he still made some stone cold classics and its undeniable that he's mastered the art of unease and creeping unpleasantness.

The Elephant Man is probably the best place to start with him. It's an accessible and wonderful looking film with sterling performances all round.

>never has any blacks in his movies
I distinctly remember two black guys working at the store Kyle goes to in Blue Velvet

>He's great at what he does

no hes not

>However he still made some stone cold classics

no he hasnt
fucking normies

And the movie?

i just watched 1-9 then 17-22. There's no reason for season 2 to be so long. I missed a few things like why were they playing chess and stuff but i don't think it's that important.

Movie is worth watching, some really good stuff in it. It's like a trip in the life of a teenage drug addict with demons and stuff

Erasherhead , The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and of course, Twin Peaks

>I distinctly remember two black guys working at the store Kyle goes to in Blue Velvet
uuummm is that fare to you? 2 p.o.c at a video store?working? why cant they be the main character?

This.

I used to like him when I was a tryhard teen but then I grew up.

>can even be bothered to sit through 8 episodes

pleb

>ughhhhhh
Fuck off

>He's overrated in the same way Pink Floyd is

The difference is that Pink Floyd accomplish success and not only mainstream success, but also they produced one of the best selling albums of all time: The Dark Side of the Moon.
This is like if David Lynch would directed Avatar o Titanic.

Maybe Radiohead is a better exaple to relate it to Lynch´s work.

I think the only thing I would skip on the rewatch are the James scenes. Everything else is worth it, even the Nadine scenes, bc even though they were really cringey at first, they had incredible payoff with the finale

Hasn't made a good film in over 30 years and the only people who like Twin Peaks are the idiot manchildren and vacuous whores who think "the 80s were so kewl". Just like stranger things.

I think people don't understand his stuff but they just pretend they do and that they like it to seem superior because they are insecure.
Same thing with the director of the tree of life.

>>ughhhhhh
>Fuck off
>dude lol someone writes something or says something i dont like and because im so intellectually superior i can look down on them and dismiss it by writing a shitty thing, but ironically im judging there shitty thing with my own dismissible shit lol irony! dude ! lol

someone post sexy mulholland drive with sound

This. I admit I don't understand David Lynch. I never had a dream that is similar in any way to his films. And I also never had a dream that is similar to Dali or Magritte's paintings. The difference is that I find Dali's paintings powerful, Magritte's paintings interesting, and Lynch's films boring

Nadine scenes were just comic relief in the end though. That plot was never really resolved either. She just got her memory back and they didn't even bother resolving the situation. They had so many episodes and the conclusion was just a punchline

Radiohead are also hugely successful though.

i think you're projecting

>sales are an indicator of quality
>the dark side of the moon is the musical equivalent of avatar
No

>dude! your projecting lol! i dont know what that word memes but ill use it because lol Sup Forums does lol!

They were pretty cool in the scene they were in. and even higlighted Kyle's white privilege. Not to mention Twin Peaks had one of the first trans character who wasn't treated like a complete joke, Mulholland Drive has a lesbian relationship at the forefront and Lost Highway shows how anti-cuckolds are delusional murderers. Lynch is a progressive's progressive, truly ahead of his time.

Twin Peaks wasn't even from the 80s

This thread is nothing but proof that millennial shitposters don't even know about the guy's work to accurately insult it.

You can use the "projecting" claim as an excuse for anything, it doesn't mean I really am projecting though. Maybe you just don't want to admit I'm right.

>I
>not aye or eye

so close

you're projecting your own lack of understanding of his work into other people. And now you're projecting your lack of understanding of the meaning of projecting into me.

Inland Empire is his best film.

>if i use the word 3 times i sure trolled him then lol

plz stop kiddo. back to le rebbit

I watched half of Inland Empire then I exited VLC player and deleted it. Fucking piece of shit. Made me want to reinstall windows.

So either everyone is lying and Lynch's films are impenetrable or you just don't understand them. Hmmm I wonder which one it is.

Way to show yourself for the child you are.

The "90's" started around late '93 - early '94.

You thought the conclusion was just a punchline? I honestly thought it was a punch in the face to everyone who was treating her like a joke in the earlier episodes, it felt so tragic to me.

if you have to ask, you already know the answer to your question. yes.