tngenweb.org/lauderdale/military/civil_war_diary_Thomas-Michael-Blackwell.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=sHE0wmgljco
youtube.com/watch?v=VxiyVyYjZxE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Precious.

>huge battles
>3.5 amerifats

The battle in Zulu is pretty cool.

>To recreate the battlefield authentically, the Soviets bulldozed away two hills, laid five miles of roads, transplanted 5,000 trees, sowed fields of rye, barley and wildflowers and reconstructed four historic buildings. To create the mud, more than six miles of underground irrigation piping was specially laid. Most of the battle scenes were filmed using five Panavision cameras simultaneously—from ground level, from 100 foot towers, from a helicopter, and from an overhead railway built right across the location.

>Months before the cameras started filming, the 16,000 Soviet Army soldiers began training to learn 1815 drill and battle formations, as well as the use of sabres, bayonets and handling cannon. A selected 2,000 additional men were also taught to load and fire muskets. This army lived in a large encampment next to the battlefield.

>Each day after breakfast, they marched to a large wardrobe building, donned their French, British or Prussian uniforms and fifteen minutes later were in position. The soldiers were commanded by officers who took orders from director Sergei Bondarchuk by walkie-talkie. To assist in the direction of this huge, multi-national undertaking, the Soviet-Ukrainian director had four interpreters permanently at his side: one each for English, Italian, French and Serbo-Croatian.

Waterloo 1970

Say what you like about commies, they know how to make a movie.

did they even end up making a profit out of it
fuck, that's impressive.

>The film was the fifth most popular "reserve ticket" movie at the British box office in 1971.[5] However it failed to recoup its cost.

>can't make movies like this anymore because you need MUH UNIONS instead of just making the military work as extras

just end me

Bullshit. Transformers 2 used military as extras. I know because I refused due to my hatred of Michael Bay.

>Soviet production
>profit

I feel that you have misunderstood the lessons of Marxism-Leninism, comrade. Perhaps a spell of reeducation in the gulag will remind you of the proper purposes of filmmaking in the Soyuz Sovetskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respublik!

Y U G O S L A V I J A

youtu.be/NOlXnJ-PDDE

>tfw had two ancestors (father and son) who took part in this very charge with the 11th Mississippi (Heth's division, Davis' brigade)
>tfw son was killed during the final assault near where the "High Water Mark of the Confederacy" stands today
>tfw father didn't survive a year after the war
>tfw every time I watch this movie, I imagine the two of them among the mass of Confederate soldiers marching defiantly toward Cemetery Ridge

link related, father's diary

tngenweb.org/lauderdale/military/civil_war_diary_Thomas-Michael-Blackwell.htm

fine taste lad

If you use the military in the movie though don't they send a representative and will shut down anything they don't approve of that could make the military seem bad or put people off from signing up? It all has to be muh hero worship

Though it's blatant propaganda, Battle of Sutjeska is the most expensive yugoslavian film ever made because of the ridiculous amount spent on the action set pieces with actual warplanes, tanks, canons and thousands and thousands of people in the infantry, no CGI whatsoever everything done in camera
There are some scenes with real planes flying and shooting ridiculously low over actual people while real explosions go off at the same time, it all just seems almost illegal really.

>56:55 and 1:56:05

>upload failed

What did he mean by this?

servers fucked a bit when you post images, should be alright soon

thanks moot

the biggest battle of them all
youtube.com/watch?v=sHE0wmgljco

I wish somebody would use a $200 million blockbuster budget to film tens of thousands of people doing something at the same time, not necessarily a battle, instead of spending it on CGI and A-list actors.

You sir are a true man of principal, Michael Bay is absolute cancer. Thank you for your service to this country.

This is the haunt of Ok go film clips now days.

They basically did that with Black Hawk Down.

The military provided them with actual 160th SOAR helicopters and Rangers to serve as extras in exchange for them eliminating a lot of the anti-war/anti-Clinton undertones (the original script included scenes where Rangers debated why they were in Somalia to feed people when people in America were going hungry too) and changing Sgt. John Stebbins' name to John Grimes (he had been convicted of child rape and the Pentagon wanted to hide it).

shit thread!

youtube.com/watch?v=VxiyVyYjZxE

Don't Kagemusha and Ran have some pretty elaborate battle scenes? I haven't yet seen them but I've seen some awesome webms posted on here before.