Why is the New Batman Adventures so ugly and why did they use it as the base for the DCAU?

Why is the New Batman Adventures so ugly and why did they use it as the base for the DCAU?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7OkSLp5MA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Actually, New Batman Adventures is based off Superman: The Animated Series' artstyle

youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7OkSLp5MA

STAS still had far more detail

Barring the Joker, I actually prefer most of the New Batman Adventures re-designs.

Better
>Robin
>Batgirl
>Ivy
>Ventriloquist
>Mad Hatter

Worse
>Bruce Wayne
>The Joker
>Catwoman
>Croc
>Freeze
>Penguin
>Riddler
>Bane

Impossible to choose
>Batman

I'd rather not relive it
>Scarecrow

>Worse
>>Penguin

Nah. I'll take classic sophisticated Penguin over mutant DeVito Penguin any day. I agree with the rest, though.

Scarecrow was better and one of the greatest versions of the character ever...

money dear boy
batgirl's colors are nicer but her shape is fucking stupid. she used to be cuddly and cute. ivy is less interesting too, hard to take seriously as a femme fatale. mad hatter looked fucking awful, what even was the deal with him? he didnt get any episodes anyway
ventriloquist looked the same

well i disagree but i can see where you're coming from
better character yeah, but way worse scarecrow. he's supposed to be this scrawly ichabod crane looking motherfucker. if youre going to do this, make it a new guy, not the same guy.

>but way worse scarecrow. he's supposed to be this scrawly ichabod crane looking motherfucker.
He doesn't need to look pathetic in costume.

?

BATMAN

he does though. that's how costumes work. you can't 'costume yourself bigger'
this isnt like the phantasm here where she has a big false shoulder piece and the rest is concealed by a cloak and a jet black jumpsuit.. this guy now has fucking massive long arms. supernaturally long, with supremely wide and high shoulders. that looks awesome but it's not jonathan crane.

Except he must. He has to look pathetic without his fear gas.

But I guess these are comics so any subtle thing has to be thrown away

TNBA Batman is actually my favorite animated version of the character. I love how he's literally nothing but black and gray. Looks simple and sleek and cool.

They fixed Scarecrow, at least.

WHY

>Catwoman

She had a much better "look" both in-costume and out, but it's just the art style was way too...pointy. And blue.

And I definitely agree on the rest, ESPECIALLY Bruce, the original design was 100x better.

Getting rid of Devito Penguin was a mercy.

Why do artists hate the yellow batcircle?

it's dumb, makes Batman look like big toy not like a vigilante hiding in the dark

I hated how Bruce always looked and sounded so serious in TNBA. In BTAS, he made himself sound softer and friendlier as Bruce Wayne, which made it more believable that people wouldn't figure out that he's Batman. In TNBA, he sounds just like Batman when he's Bruce, and he behaves similar, too.

it's Batman's curse, the more sidekicks are introduced the more he has to become more serious/angrier

I think the implication is that years of doing his thing have made him more jaded.

For me it's more like

Better
>Batgirl
>Penguin

Worse
>Joker
>Riddler
>Poison Ivy

Indifferent
>Everything else.

>Better
>Batgirl
>Ivy
Shota Robin is better than college-age Robin? How boring

>I'd rather not relive it
I have no idea what you mean by this. You think it's shit, or you think it was too good?

Other than that, I'm okay with the list.

>Btas
>Bruce is more human
>TNA
>Bruce is serious and boring

>Stas
>Superman is more human
>Justice League
>Superman is serious and boring

I see a pattern here.

This.

It even increases during Justice League. Compare how he treats Clayface in his first episode to how he treats him in that one episode with the Secret Society. Bruce doesn't care any more, he just wants to win his fights and save the fucking day.

It's a much better progression to a crueler, more cynical Batman than Zack Snyder could ever dream of.

The Penguin ended up looking an awful lot like Mr.Peanut for some reason. Not sure why they chose that look for him.

Culminating with him alone in Batman Beyond.

YOU

He looks better in the way The Batman Mr Freeze looked better
Sure he looks cooler and more threatening but misses some key points of the character

The only good freeze was the original animated series one.

TNBA's body works well if you take it as foreshadowing that it's just a robot now, but they fucked up his face.
All it needed was goggles and it'd be fine, but no.

It's like, you have a design from Mike fucking Mignola. Why would you dramatically change that for any reason?

He pretty much had to be lighter when it was just him and Alfred with the occasional appearance from Dick or the show would be in grim city.

When you add young smartass Robin and teenage Batgirl in every episode and start relying more on the supporting cast you're gonna have to darken Batman up if you don't want it to be pic related.