What in-universe reason does DC/Marvel have for not executing their mass murdering supervillains?

What in-universe reason does DC/Marvel have for not executing their mass murdering supervillains?

Does there really need to be one? We all know why they really aren't executed.

they were tried in a liberal state? or the better answer, because comic books

I'm having a devil of a time finding the reference for this, but in a late 90's issue of Captain America this was directly addressed at one time. The answer Nick Fury gave was that if multiple precedents were set of homicidal super villains being executed, then the general populace and even some of the super hero populace would just cut out the middle man of the justice system and we'd see more dead villains (and even supers) because it would be seen as acceptable.

Fury already had one nut running around in the form of the Punisher. He stated he didn't want any more of those if it could possibly be helped.

>because it would be seen as acceptable.
Is it not?

In a world where Superman is alive and well and he always saves the day and he loves you, the death penalty isn't as much of an option. People look to the skies and see a person with absolutely good ideals to strive for and he would never take someone's life because, to him, there's always another way. In this climate, people tend to be more forgiving and aware of their human nature and thus less likely to inflict capital punishment on someone else, no matter how deserving we readers may see it.

For Marvel I have no fucking clue because their whole thing is supposed to be the real world plus superheroes. They should be executing fools left and right and the Punisher should have his own fanclub. However, even with the cynical, hateful citizens of Marvel's Earth there is a glimmer of hope. It seems like there's just enough good will to keep the darkness at bay at any given point. Somewhere in that tangled, messy reality there are good honest people who actually give a damn about their fellow man.

How? It would be the government doing it not the superheroes.

Even when they're sentenced to death they just break out before they can actually get executed so it doesn't matter.

There's no in-universe explanation for why some rando hasn't shot them though just because

its most certainly not. have you ever heard of innocent until proven guilty? on top of that how many people have mind altering powers, shapeshifting or tech that can mask what they look like, then blam, you just killed some dude buying a burger because you thought it was super evil badguy dude

Yeah, that's why we have such a huge problem with vigilantes going and killing terrorists without government sanctioning now, not to mention all the mass shooters in the US that have been killed by vigilantes before trial. Totally a legit reason and fucking retarded.

What if they've been proven guilty multiple times over several decades?

>super villian is mass murderer, escapes, shoots his face change ray at guy at mcdonalds, which dosent alert person whose been hologramed, you kill man who was buying happy meal for his kid because you didnt try to arrest him.
im just saying, its comic books, it dosent have to make sense, stop looking for a deeper meaning other than theyd have no badguys left if they did that

>its comic books
No, its shitty shared universe capeshit. Learn the difference. It could save your life.

oh...so x-men isnt a comic book anymore? weird, what was i just reading

Well then you probably shouldn't have released him back into the general public, then.

That was a piss poor example because they guy apparently had brain damage or some shit.

They'd never try this shit with Osborn or with Kingpin.

They don't have the talent to create new ones that don't suck anymore

In DC the government uses their villains as cannon fodder, so they need their leashed bad guys.

The goverment doing it makes it no more right.

It's because everybody realizes on a subconscious level that they're in a comic book and that killing people almost never actually sticks, and whenever it DOES stick then that just leads to the whole universe getting rebooted afterwards.

They are aware of a certain property of their universe but don't dare to say it. Plot Armor! They know that if they do try to kill the supervillain it will escape in the last moment or somehow return even worse so the best they can do is contain it until some day he escapes.

Would you want to live in that shared universe?

Sometimes it's even conscious. Now I'm reminded of that time Superman pointed out that even if he was willing to kill willy nilly, which he's not, for most of the big dudes he fights execution would honestly be less of a hindrance than some of the super-imprisonments the League has whipped up.

If you're a two-bit nigger shooting someone while robbing a convenience store, you'll get the Death Penalty. Tell me how many 9/11 planners got the death penalty?

>Tell me how many 9/11 planners got the death penalty?

uuuuh, all of them? some of them more than once even. like al-quadas number two man in iraq, i dont remember his name, but we killed THAT motherfucker like three hundred times.

There's always the fine line between superHERO and superVILLIAN.

I'm talking about those people who got a trial in the U.S like Khalid Sheikh Mohammed.

I think most of the actual mass-murdering types are usually lunatics, so they get off on an insanity defense or something.
I can't really think of any fully sane villain types who killed huge numbers of people, got arrested a lot, and weren't executed

They escape or bust before their execution date.

Richard Ramirez spent over two deacdes waiting on the gas chamber before finally dropping dead of lymphoma.

For DC, it's the whole "where does it stop" argument.

For Marvel, it's "clever,/underhanded lawyers versus an incompetent system". Seriously, super-villains in this world can sue super-heroes for "use of excessive force". AND WIN.

Marketability as characters requires them to be alive.

This is more DC's bad then Marvel though, since the 00's hit Marvel has fairly consistently failed to use most of it's villains and just had it's heroes fight each other constantly instead.

To avoid sparking all out war. Someone that is 'just' going to jail if he gets caught is less dangerous than someone who knows their life hinges on never losing a fight

What if he had some kind of unknown disorder over the several decades and couldnt even reason on these moments, or was being controlled the whole time? There is never a way to be sure. That's why we don't kill.