Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_gIxTitMM#t=35s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's with all the niggas?

Elka smash?

YES! best girl returns!

How long until this guy dies
There's no way he's gonna last much longer with his heart issues

This has clearly been weighing on Elan for some time. While the info is necessary, now isn't really the time for teary-eyed guilt. He needs to be prepared to DO something about Elka's recklessness and stop acting so girly.

I for one welcome this new meme, may it prosper and bring life-giving shit posts to these threads

>YOU BETRAYED THE CROWN

youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_gIxTitMM#t=35s

So, when do you guys think Toma will be back in action?

My ship is coming in!

When do you think he and Elka will bone?

This is a bit too girly for my tastes, but at least it's better than Gunnershit Fail.

How can you call this girly after reading Gunnerkrigg? That comic is literally just bland meandering shit about teenage girls, especially after the lesbian stuff got hamfisted in.

Calling Unsounded "girly" is a hot new meme. Check the archives for the past few days.

Hopefully soon. Those two lovable badasses really need it.

Not him, but that's interesting. I was just thinking a few hours ago about whether I thought I'd be likely to guess whether a comic was written by a man or woman, and Unsounded definitely strikes me as the work of a woman.
Mostly because I refuse to believe any man could write as Duane. He's just too good (yes I know he's a bit of a bigot but what can you do, it's compulsory in Alderode).

I also drive a truck for ten hours at a time in the middle of the night as my job, so the mind tends to meander

Honestly, I don't understand how people can be so into Gunnerkrigg Court. I remember when it just started out, and in comparison to other webcomics, the art was pretty good. But the art never got better, and the standard rose. Now I look at it, and the art looks flat and bland. The overuse of pastel tones doesn't help, either.

I read that first story, because the person who recommended it had good taste. Nothing. It seemed like exactly the overly precious, semi-Fantasy nothing-story that people tend to oversell. And I was right. Years later, people still shill that comic like no-one's business, and I still don't see the appeal.

But yes, one glance at Gunnerkrigg Court, and you'd guess it was made by a girl.

The confession was to impress upon her how much he knows about what's going on by revealing he was working for these guys as a rat. And how serious he is about what he's saying. He's not just saying this because he's a scared policeman, he was literally part of the conspiracy he's trying to make her aware of.

>Mostly because I refuse to believe any man could write as Duane. He's just too good
Yeah, men writing well is a preposterous notion. All that classig literature through the ages, all of it written by women.

I do, however agree with you that it's not hard to notice that the flowery writing syle of Unsounded does easily reveal that it's made by a woman.

Gunnercrigg court is an easy comic to shill for for the exact reasons that you couldn't get into it: bland, safe and overly precious. That stuff sells well to the massess and people feels safe recommending it to others because the worst reaction they'd get is "meh, boring", not "WTF is wrong with you man" like you might get with something more daring.

As a contrast out of the box stuff like Unsounded will never reach a wide audience like that because the story is too tough for them to digest. On the bright side those of us who are able to absorb all the necessary, delicately woven plot elements absolutely love it, so it'll always have a strong core of dedicated readers. Which Ashley herself has often said she prefers to mainstream success.

>But the art never got better
Nigga what. I assume you mean it never got better after the period where it got incredibly better and settled down into its current quality.

I don't necessarily disagree with your judgement, Gunnerkrigg Court is even more into the character story than even Unsounded is, but it still manages to pull off a tightly woven overarching plot. There's a lot of moving pieces, slow though they may be, and they've all kept turning and coming up again. There's a pretty sharp sense of humor that makes itself apparent sometimes too.

I definitely like Unsounded more, because Cope routinely impresses me with both art and dialog while I'm struggling to remember bits of Gunnerkrigg that impressed me similarly (though I know I've been impressed before, mostly with how things come together. There was a nice bit in a recent arc where there was subtle theme about how characters deal with emotional stress. It's also late, so my mind isn't at its clearest), but I don't consider it too far behind. It's a very slow burn, and if the characters and shorter arcs don't click with you, that's fine. But I do disagree with so blithely dismissing its merits. Of all the webcomic artists, I put Tom Siddell as one of the few (along with Cope) who obviously knows where he's going with his comic.

>As a contrast out of the box stuff like Unsounded will never reach a wide audience like that because the story is too tough for them to digest

Pffft, tell me about it. I love long form comics in general, and I try to get my friends into them, but it always fails. Webcomics to my friends means gag comics. It caused a bit of confusion before I figured that one out.

OK, I was a bit harsh. I just don't see the appeal, I guess. And it annoys me when people treat something I see as unreadable as the best thing ever, but that's just a personal gripe.

Most of my exposure to Gunnerkrigg Court since I actually read it has been on Sup Forums. I don't know, mentally it always seemed to belong to the same category as Homestuck.

Also, I've never had much patience for school stories. I dislike the entire trope. Put it down to overexposure to American media, or just me getting older, or school memories being some of the worst of my life, but sticking your characters in some sort of school setting is the best way to earn my disinterest.

>I don't know, mentally it always seemed to belong to the same category as Homestuck
I can sort of understand your opinion now, given this. Sup Forums isn't really the best place to get a handle on what the story as a whole is like.

Homestuck is, or was, more like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (not in quality, I'm making a point about how it all fits together) than anything else: The story or characters would make an off hand joke about something, like juggalos or Betty Crocker or Cricket, and then later it would be spun into this huge part of the setting. Obviously done later without much real forethought. Complete seat of the pants writing and juggling of ideas. Lots of bizarre humor and satire and absurdism.

Gunnerkrigg Court shares more with Unsounded in that it becomes clear the author's have a conception of their world beyond the present moment. They've got their plan or idea that's working in the background of the story that slowly gets revealed and keeps everything fitting together properly overtime. Real world building. They're also, for all their fantastical natures, more grounded. They're full of real people, not silly jokes.

But yes, Gunnerkrigg Court is also a lot less tense than Unsounded. Aside from one recentish chapter where a character had a major breakdown, even the most dangerous moments rarely felt like such. It's a lot more sedate, a lot less "emotionally raw," I guess. Even during it's big feelsy moments, I don't think anything ever came across as well as this page.

I too rather dislike school settings as a rule. I think I began reading Gunnerkrigg before it set in, so it's sort of been grandfathered in. Perhaps Gunnerkrigg does get praised too much. It's probably like a lot of "critically acclaimed" videogames. It's solid story with good fundamentals, so it tends to be seen as god's blessing to earth compared to the usual dreck.

Those men who can write well are usually a very different animal than those men who make webcomics. Hell, I'm not entirely sure why Cope decided to create a webcomic rather than something more profitable with her talent.

>I refuse to believe any man could write as Duane.
Good God, you're absolutely cucked in the brain.

Maybe she doesn't want to deal with publishers, bosses, and other stuff like that. Maybe she just wants to do a comic.

And if you ask me, most print writers suck, too. Sturgeon's Law and all that.

I just meant he talks flowery, dude. Chill on the memes.

DON'T YOU FUCKING TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

I think another thing that makes Gunnerkrigg work and helped it become successful is that it's shorter episodic chapter format and consistent schedule make it work really well in a web comic format.

I don't think I'd ever consider buying a physical volume of it like I would Rice Boy/Vattu, Kill 6 Billion Demons or Unsounded, but as a fantasy story that updates piece meal for free it does a good job holding my interest. If it's starting to get boring I know within a month or two we'll be dealing with different characters and a different subplot, so I always come back to it in the end.

She wanted the write a book. I forget why she didn't.

Webcomics are comically profitable nowadays if you can amass popularity. Patreon has changed the way these things work.

Fuck my wife.

>Ain't no one ever calls me Sette the way ya call me Mikaila
What a fucking fantastic page.

It's still not out ol the question, she once mentioned the possibility of telling the third part of Unsounded in novel form instead of comic form.

There are some really easy ways to tell Unsounded is written by a woman and they mostly have to do with how the female characters are treated. Serious page time is given over to a fat old grandma. And ugly-as-fuck Knock is allowed to exist. And she's not even boning Anadyne. A male author would have had them be lesbian lovers. Elka and Sette are allowed to be ugly when they cry. They're also allowed to save the day from time to time without any help from the dudes.

There's very little fanservice and pandering in Unsounded. I think that's why it feels so real and grounded. Sex is either used for laughs or horror.

At the same time, there's not much romance, which is kind of weird for a girl comic. Family relationships seem like a much bigger theme. But it looks like there may be some romance coming down the line between Jivi and Sette which could be awesome if it's written well. I don't think Sette would ever back down to a boy so she'll be wearing the pants in the relationship and you don't see that much in fiction.

I think the user means that Duane is too morally good not enough gray as it were or else the comment about him being racist makes no sense in the context.

>ugly-as-fuck Knock is allowed to exist
Imma cuff u in ur gobber m8

>Romance between Jivi and Sette, two characters with barely any tolerance for one another
>before Elka and Toma, who've shown actual interest in each other

Is this how pedos think?

>Knock
>ugly

Well, fuck you and your shitty taste.

Nah, it's how people who know how to write well think. Elka and Toma is predictable, it's bad writing. Jivi and Sette would be a surprise, and you can see how awesome their chemistry would be and how they'd improve each other. There's nothing pedo about it, they're both probably the same age.

>Nah, it's how people who know how to write well think.

He says after posting gems like
>A male author would have had them be lesbian lovers.

Being surprising doesn't automatically make a romance good.

Could you not?

That is what I meant, yeah. Sleep deprivation does not enhance my ability to convey meaning.

This page gets me every fucking time

Well, that doesn't make any more sense. Men came up with fictional characters as unrealistically morally good as Superman, Jesus, and Samwise Gamgee.

>When do you think he and Elka will bone?
>Not Duane and Elka having jingoistic hate sex

Is it impossible for someone to be racist and still be a good person?
Also technically Duane is a jingoist.

I dunno, he just doesn't feel like a run-of-the-mill superman to me, see: bigot. He does save bystanders equally though, it's not their fault they were incarnated as Crescians.
I dunno just the confluence of competent fighter / supernaturally gifted spellcaster / an unfeasibly fancy talker / the best dad doesn't feel like a dude wrote it as a self-insert like most superman, he feels like a collection of fetishes--

wait

>Romance between Jivi and Sette, two characters with barely any tolerance for one another
I don't even ship the two but I would point out the bit where she wrapped up his hand and gushed over him piloting Uaid.
>before Elka and Toma, who've shown actual interest in each other
The interest has been pretty one sided on Elka's part, Toma is more worried about his failing marriage.

I love Ashley's work and all that, but she has to work on her action shots. That first panel just looks strange.

Looks okay to me. He's yanking her down from where he had her slammed against the wall.

He looks stiff, like he's just choking her instead of tossing her to the side. His line of motion doesn't match up with hers

>every thread from now on is gonna be mostly about the girly comment.
monkeys paw

nah, it'll fade into the background, but always be there like an old familiar friend
a friend wondering about niggers

It's the only interesting thing to talk about

So for a bit of speculation

What do you think is the truth of Ssael?
Did he kill the Geffendur gods? Were the Geffendur gods even correct?

Clearly the conception of the Afterlife is correct but what about all of the mythology surrounding it? How does Ilganyag fit into the story?

>unfeasibly fancy talker

Duane talks like a butler or any other lower class person thrust beyond his station, sure he has the education to back it up, but the source of his verbosity is his social insecurity.

Interesting, never really thought of it that way before, but it's in keeping with the story.

I haven't yet managed to use "superfluity" in a dis but I'll get there

I love that line so god damn much.

Well, the old argument 'why would a kind/just god allow this' comes to mind. Allow me to tip my fedora, what if there ARE no gods? It seems a little dubious that a man who was slain by ordinary people would be able to fight gods, and why don't any of them have any effect on the world they rule?

So maybe Delicieu is right, and there is no driver at the wheel, just reality as it appears, and they'll have to fix their own problems in the end.

What is Ilganyag then? Why would how you slay gods defend yiu against the attacks of normal people, especially in a world where gods and men exist on entirely different planes?

Duane just thinks she's some weird Senet Beast.

Duane's a delusional cursed heretic

Well, from what we saw of Duane fighting Murkoph, it's not like you can simply WILL yourself victory. You need to actually fight. I grant that he may never get tired, and has all the strength he ever had in his prime, but to fight against Gods who have, by all rights, had a much longer time to train and accumulate knowledge? Meh.

The gods have the ability to create the world, so one would think they have the ability to interact with it, or at the very least watch it and inform to their clergy when they pray through the khert or something. Anything.

As for Ilganyag and Murkoph, I'm not 100%. Ilganyag strikes me as a Senet beast. I don't remember if it's been mentioned before in the comic or a thread I read, but that's what I think she is. Some kind of sentient Senet beast, a la Sette. Why she was abandoned in the khert like Murkoph.. Is a good question.

>a la Sette
What?
Sette isn't first Material.

No, but she's got (apparently) eternal youth, has no belly button (wasn't born) and has some weird connections with the khert (able to enter, can smell it, etc.) and has animal traits (a goddamn tail), so she's definitely not human.

She just reminds me a bit of Ilganyag when she pops out of her raven and says she's been alive since the dawn of time and trapped in the khert. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I mean, it was the measure of a world class wright and materials expert that Sette's material is human flesh.

For what that's worth. Course there's definitely SOMETHING weird with her. Considering the whole Bodily entering the Khert thing.

>His line of motion

People who pick up a couple of technical terms and bandy them about are the worst

>so she's definitely not human.
They just explained that she is apparently some kind of mutant.