Alien: Convenant

Is this movie actually a big deal in culture right now? Because it doesn't feel like it to me. Maybe I'm just too old and jaded by sequels and remakes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=45dy8U4g0Gw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nothing is a big deal any more. That bubble you've been hearing about for the past decade? It's about to burst. Hollywood is imploding on itself and movie theaters will be a thing of the past soon.

It's really not. Normies talk about everything, but they don't see it. Just like GOTG2, there comes a time when even a normie is sick of the same thing again and again.
Just wait for the anime adaptation wave :)

Yeah I agree with you user. There are no "event" movies now because there have been so many of them no one cares anymore. Star Wars VII was probably the last one but now they're making 18 more of those so everyone is over it. Hollywood is talking about releasing movies digitally a couple weeks after theaters, eventually it just won't be profitable anymore and theaters will be a novelty thing.

It's an actual mainline, canon, name addition to the series that reinvented how people see science-fiction. Before Alien space was always seen as Star Trek or Star Wars style.

You'd think it would be a pretty big deal, but I feel nothing.

Maybe if you watch the movie with the sound on next time you would appreciate it more.

No. First of all, I don't think it's as shitty as people here say, but it's still a mediocre movie, average at best.
Secondly, it blindly follows a formula that it's stale by now.
And lastly, the only thematic difference between Covenant (and Prometheus) and the other movies is the "muh creators" thing. Which could have been interesting, but I personally think that it doesn't rhyme well with Alien, at all. It tried to go from deep space horror to almost existential sci-fi. Problem is, it's still deep space horror, but a stale one, held together by tape and spit to few scenes about existentialism, creationism, or whatever the fuck that was. Which is a shame because some of those parts are acqually quite interesting.

tl;dr: Scott basically remakes Alien but is to smart for his own good to make a decent movie

I haven't seen it yet. I have no real motivation to go to a cinema anytime in the near future. I'll wait for blu-ray.

Alien didn't need an expanded universe

There were some parts of Prometheus that felt like really good Star Trek. Like nu-Trek should have been.

I don't think that Prometheus is as bad as people say either. I actually liked it when I saw it. Its main problem is that it desperately needed a sequel to explain shit. Which we got, more or less, too bad that it's Alien 0 insteas of Prometheus 2.
Come to think, Prometheus should have been a separate thing period. No Xenomorphs and shit, just the Engineers and other ayys

it's another shitty cash in sequel to a franchise that hasn't had a good movie since Reagan was in office

why would anybody care?

>You'd think it would be a pretty big deal, but I feel nothing.
Nu Star Trek was "kinda" of a realively big deal because JJ Abrams directed it, otherwise no one would have given a shit because only turbonerds like Star Trek.
SW is a big deal only because we've been bombarded with SW products no stop for the last decades, even normies kinda like it, and the SW fan base is one of the loudest and most obnoxious around.
Alien's influence on pop culture is almost as big as SW, but the franchise itself stopped being relevant after Aliens.

I wanted to really like Covenant, but I was somewhat bored by it. Most of the xenomorph bits had no tension.

It's probably because the real focus is David.

Is it worth a watch if I just wanna see people get hunted down and brutally murdered by an alien

>30 min of deleted scenes
>Covenant extended edition when?
youtube.com/watch?v=45dy8U4g0Gw

well, the splatter in itself is good, if you don't mind obvious cgi.

There's good gore. Don't pay full price though.

You sound like a braindead pleb

>Maybe if you watch the movie with the sound on next time you would appreciate it more.
The first time I heard the trailer playing in another room I thought it was a movie about John Denver coming back as a zombie and terrorizing a bunch of truckers.