An Open Letter to Nerd Culture: Wolverine as Toxic Masculinity

He's trolling right?

themarysue.com/wolverine-toxic-masculinity/

>Fellow nerds, we have a problem. Women who dare have opinions about, well, anything are getting harassed, and going to cons can mean running a gauntlet of unwanted comments and harassment. Too often, I see guys like me spouting of the worst MRA and PUA clichés. Heck, those ideas shouldn’t even be getting any traction with anyone who has any idea what exclusion is like, but they do, and I think I know part of the reason why.

>I blame Wolverine. If you want to see some of the worst traits of toxic masculinity expressed in a comic book character, you don’t need to look a lot further than the short, adamantium-boned, dangerous Canadian. I submit that it’s time for film directors and comic book writers rethink the way they write him, and more importantly, for all of us nerds out there to rethink why we like this guy. Ever had that racist or sexist friend that you just can’t hang with anymore? Our pal Logan fits the bill.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DRqJgDTIAck
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> themarysue
> he's trolling right?

Of course you moron. He calls Wolverine a racist and a sexist. nothing to back that up, he just says it like it makes his point for him

There's not denying that Wolverine has some shit fans but in regards of Marvel characters that embody toxic masculinity, I can think of far worse...

Zebediah Killgrave for instance... Hell, the Hulks are literal toxic masculinity

>themarysue
guaranteed replies

I despise "nerd culture," and those who claim to adhere to it, more and more every day.

>mommy i posted it again gimme shekels

>it's a whiteknighting nerd episode

This again. Logan doesn't fit the bill.
Anyone who has read his stories knows he's the opposite of a racist. He spends large portions of his life trying to immigrate and adopt the cultures of others more than his own to get as far from his past as possible.

He's a womanizer but he's also one of the few male heroes who will often team up with girls of any age because he recognizes and respects their ability to prove themselves. Several of them like Kitty, Jubilee, Armor and Laura more or less see him like a father figure.

Also there's the fact there exists a gay Logan in a relationship with Hercules. So no the character is a lot more than what people who don't read his stories assume at a quick glance.

Thread will either get deleted or it'll reach bump limit in three hours.

Not to mention they considered writing him gay back in the 70s/early 80s and some of it shows

Logan seems more like a critique of "toxic masculinity," all violence ever brought him was pain, even the Hulk with all the power has him ending up alone. The only arguably toxic masculine male still around in modern "comics," is Yujiro Hanma.

After G4 died there were a few really great interviews about how corporate controlled that network was and how much the people actually working on the shows hated it. Basically once the axe came down the suits stopped paying attention and that last month or so the writers and personalities just did whatever they wanted on screen

>he spends large portions of his life trying to immigrate and adopt the cultures of others
According to some, that's racist.

Fucking mutie Canadians, appropriating culture of hard-working people.

Maybe they should reboot him.

Anyways, who here thinks OP is the one who wrote the article in the first place, just to get themselves clicks?

>nerd culture

It's a milennial thing and a marketing thing, it never existed as anything worthwhile

According to some being gay is discrimination against women.

Yes look at how toxic Wolverine is

He's just racist against Canadians.
We must expose how insensitive he is to the deep intricacies of Canadian culture.

>being ashamed of being male
>Americans

Wolverine is the alpha male, is what nerds wish they were, that Cyke got cucked after he cucked Jean first.

>Cyke got cucked
Jean Grey never actually banged Wolverine. He's only had sex with an alternate Earth her. She pretty mcuh throws herself at Wolverine in New X-Men and he tells her no

I smile every time someone sees the inanity of this SJ business. I understand how some feel it has, can and will serve to address certain inequalities that need to be, but they put far too much trust and faith in people who, as history serving as evidence shows, are prone to pursuing conflict for the sheer need of conflict.

It should not surprise them in the least their ally turns around and on them at a moment's notice. They were never there to protect anyone, just attack whoever's nearest and in their line of sight.

Purple man did nothing wrong
Purple man is the only character I'd read a solo about

>Jean Grey never actually banged Wolverine.
No, but she wanted to. She cheated on Cyclops emotionally, if that matters (like if your girlfriend went out and hung out with a guy and did everything she does with you and more except sex).

But they actually broke apart when she started flirting with Phantomex (Fantomex?). He had pheremones that helped it along and so did Cyclops' distance from her.

I wish I was gay. I hate women that much

>He's a womanizer but

Dude has kids and is generally somewhat decent with kids. That's pretty damn far from toxic alpaca mascara.

That's a Fleshbomb series. As far as cape comics are concerned, that genre is a 24/7 assault on all the unspoken assumptions capeshit operates on.

Wolverine isn't ever portrayed as the kind of person you should be though. He barely has any friends and he ends up getting most of the people he cares about killed.

Jean is literally worst girl. Well second worst after kitty, fuck kitty, Cyke also cucks Jean with phoenix, Lee Forrester, Maddie pryor, and Emma frost

This, if you want to look at Toxic Masculinity the character you would be looking at The Purple Man, not Wolverine.

Being male is toxic now? Oh yeah because this doesn't sound racist at all.

>Dude has kids
When he's not killing them.

jej

Purple man did nothing wrong, fuck off roastie

I mean I don't like wolverine but not for any reason this nu-male described.

>racist
It's clearly sexist you moron.

>marysue

Opinion discarded and all that jazz

The SJWs will not rest until every heterosexual male on the planet turn gay. Masculinity will be consider toxic and crime against humanity.

>She cheated on Cyclops emotionally
She wasn't in love with him. Her marriage was falling apart, the man she's loved her whole life was a different person after all the Apocalypse shit, and he was spending a little too much time with Emma. So she tried to jump in the arms of the guy whose always been at the sidelines, only for him to say he's done with that crap and she should just talk to Scott. Jean's always been selfish and petty, for awhile she was a total bitch about Madelyne Pryor in X-Factor

The best thing about the Phoenix retcon is that it means Jean was never actually a likable character. All the good and compelling stuff was just a cosmic being masquerading as her

It's literally not when the person in question has white skin and was born with a penis.

He was with phoenix when he thought phoenix was Jean and he was only with Lee and Madeline when he thought she was dead. Emma is the only woman he cheated on her with, and that was mainly Emma fucking with his mind.

Whatever.

>I see guys like me spouting of the worst MRA and PUA clichés.

But isn't the author of this article gay? Why would other men like him spout those things?

>Wolverine
>Racist or Sexist

This guy is a fucking schmuck. Like, I just wanna spam his inbox with images of him interacting with Ororo or Mariko.

You has no idea.

>TFW just now realized themarysue has just been a troll site all along

Ohhhhh

What an incredibly toxic character

Radioactive masculinity is even worse. Just ask the former residents of Chernobyl.

>getting harassed at cons
Literally never happened

Exactly. So many of his storylines involve him trying (and oftentimes failing) to repress, conceal and overcome his violent animalistic tendencies and stop driving the people who love and care about him away with his bad habits, disagreeable personality and poor life choices. If anything, Wolverine is a critique of masculinity.

are feminists toxic femininity?

Skimming over the article, he seems to take more issue with Wolverine's proclivity for violence than anything else.

Thing is, that's been written as a flaw as far back as the eighties. One he gets a handle on before Rogue even joins the team.

And no version of Wolverine has been a frigging bigot, sexist or racist. He wouldn't have joined the X-Men if he was.
And this all of this is ignoring a pretty important point: You can't blame a fictional character for the actions of their fans. The actions of fans, whatever they might be, are the responsibility of the fans themselves.

Kind of wish more men in my life were as toxic as this

youtu.be/DRqJgDTIAck

>you can say no to a transperson
Then what's the problem?

I wish I had the screencap where someone said that if you take someone home and they turn out to be trans you're not allowed to tell them "no". It was horrifying.

I agree with a lot of what he says but I disagree with the means in which he does it.

It reads like passing the buck to a fictional character who isn't really to blame for larger social issues.

>You can't blame a fictional character for the actions of their fans.
You realize these are the same people who blame Trump for anything his supporters do but think it's totally fine and acceptable for Bernie supporters to violently attack people at trump rallies to silence speech, right?

>He's a womanizer
Like in the sense that he's been with a bunch of women, yeah, but honestly that's more or less accidental. He doesn't want to bang though a bushel of broads. He wants to meet a woman that loves him, get married, and have a child, but whenever he tries to initiate that: shit goes tits up for him, her, and sometimes her family.

>You can't blame a fictional character for the actions of their fans. The actions of fans, whatever they might be, are the responsibility of the fans themselves.

This. fuck people who blame entertainment for their own or other's short comings.

"so and so is sexist because of tv show X"

No, so and so is sexist because they're fucking sexist.

I know how long it's been, but I'm still calling too soon.

To be fair, if you can get your ass kicked by the average Bernie supporter you probably need to rethink your lifestyle priorities.

>After G4 died there were a few really great interviews about how corporate controlled that network was and how much the people actually working on the shows hated it.

It was pretty easy to tell just by looking at it.

RIP ZDTV/TechTV, you were too good for this world.

ist all the same to me.

>guys like me spouting of the worst MRA and PUA clichés
If you're seeing 'guys like you' saying those things, maybe you're the issue?