Why was this """controversial""" back in the day?

i don't see what's the big deal here

was it though?

Some people just got upset over the bit about rape.

There was no deal. There never is. It's all manufactured outrage and virtue signaling.

Rape. It's always rape.

the word rape is a trigger that can make people uncomfortable...

RAPE! RAPE! RAPE! RAPE! RAPE! RAPE! RAPE! RAPE! RAPE! RAPE!

The controversy was never really about THIS strip, it was the followup one. A small handful of people were mad that there was a rape joke in it, and Gabe and Tycho responded incredibly poorly to the complaints and demonstrated a complete lack of understanding WHY people were upset with it. If they had just ignored it, it would have never gotten to the point it did.

> now go and rape no more

>was it though?
not really
some people got uptight about it but it wasn't enough to really say the comic was controversial

so I guess those pussies never read Berserk

But follow-up was funny.
>Go. Go and rape no more.

Berserk started off as a type of Manga you would expect to have lots of rape so it caters to those kinds of audience to begin with.

PA didn't started off like that.

>muh rape culture

Actually, if I remember correctly the focus point of the controversy was them selling "Team Dickwolf" shirts at PAX. Because apparently that was encouraging rape as a way to scare people away from PAX or something retarded like that.

well, you can't complain to the artist of berserk manga because obvious language barriers. so it's more easy to find weak artists that you can manipulate and insult in your same language

>jokes about slaves getting daily rapes by dickwolves.
>selling "Team Dickwolf" shirts at PAX. Because apparently that was encouraging rape.

Eh. IMO that was a pretty tasteless move. It's not really harhar funny when shit like slavery and rape in one still exists in third world places.

No, the follow-up comic showed they understood the ridiculousness of the situation completely and gave the only appropriate response.

It was the fucking surrendering afterward that was a poor choice...but I get it, Kiko had to remind Gabe they're a business and asshole children standing outside of their cons with picket signs would be a bad look even if the assholes are the ones who are wrong.

Because someone got offended, and the PA guys did the worst thing you can possibly do when someone gets offended: they got offended someone got offended. If they would have just ignored the first person or handwaved a sorry, no one would have given a shit. Instead they got triggered and made it into a big issue.

>you're not allowed to make jokes about things that happen in the real world.
You can just fuck right off.

I don't give a Daam the first time around but throwing fuel into the fire to make the situation worse is a fucking dumbass move.

If you don't let people know when they're being dumb, they'll keep right on being dumb.

So stooping down to their level. Right.

Rape is a trigger word.

Making a joke about it is not a joke, even when it is funny.

Why are the people who don't find rape funny wrong?

Can't both sides have valid opinions?

Well neither have a lot of people.

It's one thing to not find a joke funny. It's something else entirely to believe that jokes shouldn't be allowed to be made just because you don't find them funny.

If you can't see the difference, you're truly lost.

>A small handful of people were mad that there was a rape joke in it, and Gabe and Tycho responded incredibly poorly to the complaints and demonstrated a complete lack of understanding WHY people were upset with it.
No, their reaction was spot-on. I don't understand how they were suppose to react to people telling them that their webcomic, which is not produced for children, contained offensive content.

The PA strip isn't even a joke about rape, it's about how absurd mmo quest-structure makes player behaviour in the face of even minor awful circumstances, let alone exaggeratedly heinous ones. Rape was never the punchline.

Fucking this.

Get dunked on.

Exactly this. The joke was that there are dozens of captives in the cave but the quest only says to free five, so that's all he did. The rape thing was just an absurdity to make their suffering more ridiculous.

I still can't believe people actually got offended over this shit.

I couldn't believe it back then but I sure as hell can believe it now

When you look back on it, the whole thing was a sign of the bullshit that was to come. You can't even make a joke without some faggots throwing a fit about content they choose to look at.

>rape
Holy shit! That's supposed to be a woman?! The artist needs to learn how to draw.

That was always true

The problem is that these complaints are somehow legitimized when it's made by or on the behalf of minorities or women.

It's not. It's a dude.

they used the word "rape"

that's it

if they had used "sodomized" no one would've batted an eye

Yeah I always thought it was much more about their reaction than the actual strip. Penny Arcade had a lot "worse" humour in many of the strips, it was part of the charm. But the reply came across as quite assholish and petulant, very deliberately misinterpreting why people were upset about the strip (and I do not for a second believe they hadn't understood correctly what the problem was and just chose to misinterpret it, in order to ridicule any discussion of how some people might find rape jokes triggering.) And then they started to sell the shirts and the whole thing just went too far.

It would have been much better to just ignore it and accept that sjws gonna write about problematic media things, it's what they do, but choosing to engage in a petulant strawmanning way was sort of the shittiest choice imaginable.

Also because (if I understand correctly) it fueled a lot of IRL rape and death threats towards someone who just wrote a column about why rape jokes in media might be problematic on a different site, which they should have a right to do, free speech etc. and rape survivor activists in general, and hating on those people is just a shit thing to do.

And the bigger it got and the longer they refused to go "we won't change the tone of the comic however that's no reason to harass rape survivors so if our fans could kindly cut back on the death and rape threats that'd be nice" and instead kept fueling the whole debacle the uglier it also got

Nothing, people just want to find something to be mad about.

James Rolfe made a video saying he didn't want to see the new ghostbusters and people are really mad about that and calling him an awful person. Because he didn't want to see a movie.

From what I gather, the shit only exploded because they made fun of the complaints in public and on the record, drew a dickwolf right at the event on camera and sold a tee of it probably within a week of the events.

They had a perfectly good joke, but they doubled down on the dicks and the rape.

>gave the only appropriate response.
Don't be a retard. It's not that hard to ignore yet another angry feminist writing yet another very personal rant about representation in media and also their cats, and just carry on doing your thing. There are probably hundreds of thousands of little blogs writing rants about why current media/entertainment/whatever sucks, you don't need to get all agitated just because one of their little blog posts sort of mentioned you

great summary

*glares*

UGH, COULD YOU, JUST, LIKE...... NOT??? RIGHT NOW??? UGH I MEAN I CANT EVEN.... UGH!!!

It wasn't.

Rape has always been a punchline of sorts to emphasize suffering, like getting raped/owned in an online match or somethin

Except now 3rd wave feminists consume the same media that could easily get away with language like this and demand change, what rock have you been living under?

I was really creeped out by how the bulk of the angry tweets disparaged how he's a white male. Even tweets by other white males

>le stooping to their level defense

They didn't, though. Stooping to their level would be claiming that they are terrible people who encourage horrible acts just for the hell of it. And, of course, making their own hurt feelings the responsibility of the rest of the world.

Instead, they just triggered them some more, showing exactly how ridiculous the triggering was. Because really, getting triggered over a shirt that says "dickwolves"?

Maybe sissies like you should just accept that the world does not revolve around your precious fee-fee's.

These people have such a weird filter, it's the same one that chicks and blacks seem to have. Everything their brain does, it goes through some kind of checklist and they always, always make it about race or gender if it's tagged.
It can't be a guy likes Ghostbusters and knows the new one will be awful, it has to be a WHITE guy. They are the most racist people, it's insane how they don't see that they're the ones making it about unimportant shit by bringing it up

>fee-fee's.
I've only seen that word used by cringey darkies outside of Sup Forums

King Uncle Tom said it best

By not reacting at all. Actually getting so buttblasted they had to make a condescending strip is about as embarrassing as Disney getting all anally devastated about some small SJW activist newsletter or whatever blogging about how harmful the gender roles in their Princess movies are (843 notes on the post), and actually making a short where they have a character very condescendingly telling another that they mustn't wear dresses that are too poofy because hems will turn them helpless or whatever, utterly twisting and misrepresenting the original argument while also indicating that anyone worrying about gender roles in media is a moron.

It's both a ridiculous overreaction considering who criticised who in what manner, and also very poor arguing.

>knows the new one will be awful

he saw it early?

is this rape for ants?

It's fucking ridiculous that I can tell just from the outrage that they're talking about the Ghostbusters reboot.

And seriously, Sup Forums seems to be absolutely right: They made it a "grrl power" movie just so they can shit on naysayers. And they knew there were going to be naysayers, because it's a shitty fucking reboot. People also bitched about Star Trek, RoboCop, Total Recall etc. And what did they bitch about (among other things) with Star Trek and RoboCop? The fact that both movies went back in time and featured oldfashioned gender roles. Where the fuck was Tumblr and the SJW crowd? Nowhere to be found! They fucking introduce Kirk -TWICE- by him pumping and dumping women, the first of which belongs to a race where all women are (or used to be, apparently) SEX SLAVES.

None of this pissed off the Tumblr crowd, who were too busy creaming their panties over Eggs Benedict Cumberbund.

But not liking a reboot that casts women as the main characters? Bloody. Fucking. Murder. Bunch of filthy hypocrites.

Standard Tumblr defense, isn't it? If you have no other defense, just repeat the person's gender and race as an insult. Kind of like a Victorian gentlemen claiming the fuzzy-wuzzies eat each other, and women can't stand strong language without fainting. But somehow acceptable, despite these people's claims of being dead against such behaviour.

This really marked the beginning of the end of PA. Once the SJWs smell blood, it's all over. They got Gabe repeatedly because he's of the old school: to call something what it is. Once they threatened his family enough, he finally caved and kowtowed to everyone's demands. It's a fucking sad state of affairs, he doesn't actually buy this shit but he wants to protect his family and business. He's a devout Christian, he probably hates the behavior of a lot of these folks.

You don't need to see a movie to know it's going to be bad, it's a comedy and they used their top material in the trailer and it wasn't good.
>hurr how do you know it's shit if it's not out of the butt yet
BECAUSE 99% OF MOVIES ARE FUCKING SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE, IT'S NOT A STRETCH TO SAY THIS DISASTER WON'T BE A GOLDEN EGG
fucking a

I've heard people trying to claim that they never intended it to be a "girl power" movie and it's just sexists who think that having a movie with female leads is bad

I think they started selling the shirts as a rebuttal to people getting offended over that strip.

Either way I remember this dickwolves thing was a pretty big deal at the time.

>Once they threatened his family enough
You realise that was only when he hadn't given a shit over his fans actually threatening rape survivor activists long enough and instead fueled the fire, right? He felt that rape threats to actual women are fine and fun ha ha let's make more t-shirts, anyone who dares to criticize PA in their blog deserves death threats for having wrong opinions, but when it was suddenly a woman he knew, it stopped being funny

People who claim you can't make an educated guess about a product before consuming it are always retards with no taste. It's like saying you can't know every lion is dangerous without walking up and tweaking its whiskers.

If a movie says "FROM THE PRODUCERS OF 300" I'm staying very far the fuck away, just as when it's a thoughtless reboot of a beloved franchise. These are marks of zero thought or love going into the product.

>IRL rape and death threats
You mean on the internet, correct?

What if you're both so angry that you're prepared to ascribe motives to me that are entirely of your own imagining?

Isn't that precisely the same behavior you're decrying here?

People came back to PA and said they didn't find it funny, and PA responded in an inept way that demonstrated they had no real opinion ahead of time, making the response simply that of the reactionaries you have a problem with.

But the initial complaint - that it isn't funny - is simply the right of reply, which is an important cornerstone of free speech; you're not free to talk shit in a vacuum. There are limits, and one of those limits is having to listen to other people who also sound like they're talking shit. All of that gets lost in the midst of your own reactionary conduct as you make sweeping statements about people you've probably never had much contact with, because you live in your momma's basement.

So again, the question, and this time take a couple deep breaths and think about it first: can't two people with different opinions both have valid opinions?

They can cry and scream all they want, but SJWs did threaten his family. They don't care about freedom of speech or rights, they care only about their own feelings, and they'll fuck anybody up who messes with that. They're vicious.

that's because you never got raped

This is probably the best response to those.

Here's the thing, I'm looking down on every side here.

The movie looks like hot dogshit, and I will defend anyone's right to say that about any movie even if it was one I was actually looking forward to.

However making and posting a video just to say you aren't seeing a movie because reasons comes off more than a bit whiney.

>trusting trailers

4 real?

Yeah sorry about that. I mean that they were actually directed at actual people, not just vague "I think sjws should get raped" type comments, but messages sent to specific actual people.

BTW, what is it with this whole thing that actresses are now actors? Why are gendered job descriptions suddenly wrong?

For fuck's sake, the only professions that had gendered names in the first place are the ones where both genders have been traditionally represented. There are no gendered terms for "nurse" or "garbageman". Which is pretty telling, given that the latter literally has "man" in the word itself.

Huh, so Maddox hasn't gone completely SJW.

> tfw you've come to a point where you don't even watch the trailers anymore

>nobody posted the next comic

Nobody is saying you have to think the joke is funny. Unbunch your fucking panties, woman. It's the part where people get all morally outraged over a dumb joke that's the problem.

What does CIS even mean? Is it white male?

Confederacy of Independent Systems, the engineered opposition in the Star Wars prequels

It's the opposite of trans

So, normal people

That wasn't him doing it and it wasn't his fucking duty to tell people ot behave themselves. You are a reprehensible little shit to justify threats against anyone. The actions of others can not be attributed to anyone but themselves, and you'd just as soon punish the lot of them if it were up to you, but not the people who did it to Gabe. You are a disgusting little fuck and I wish people like you would stop using Sup Forums.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it means someone who feels they are the gender they were assigned at birth. Not-transgender. Like, if you're a gay man, you can be cis, because you feel like you're a man like the doctors decided you were based on your biological sex, you're just gay, but still feel like a man

> speech is unprotected if (1) "the average person, applying contemporary community standards, would find that the [subject or work in question], taken as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest" and (2) "depicts or describes, in a patently offensive way, contemporary community standards,[14] sexual conduct defined by the applicable state law"

Free speech isn't an excuse to say anything and go unpunished. actually.

Cissexual is one of those unwords that SJW types use to make themselves feel less mentally handicapped, just like allistic or neurotypical.

They're basically the opposite of existing words and simply mean "normal". But "normal" is deemed too offensive, so they come up with new, more obfuscated ways to say it.

Punishment is dispensed by the justice system, not by lynch mobs.

garbagewoman is an acceptable word

you just never hear it said anywhere because garbagewomen don't exist

That's rather rich coming from an american

Pretty much this. They could've been mature enough about it by just saying nothing, and let the complainers wear themselves out and disappear, as usually happens. It would have just been another silly, dumb joke of little note.

Spoiling for off-topic here, but speaking of Disney, Walt himself was a psychotic union-buster, to the point of hiring goons to try to kill striking workers on at least one occasion we know of. One of his kids finally managed to talk him down and negotiate with the strikers (Walt left the country to go film his Tres Caballeros shorts instead). So, Disney himself was pretty much exactly the kind of guy who would get assfractured over someone telling him he's wrong.

I've known a couple. They can hardly be called women though.

>it wasn't his fucking duty to tell people ot behave themselves
It sort of was after he'd chosen to start the whole mess and had actively been fueling it and also hadn't in any way indicated it was going a bit far. He could have made a comment of "guys, calm down, it's just a strip, let's not threaten anyone" when there started to be genuine threats, but didn't, and instead chose to fuel it further and treat the whole thing, threats and all, as a grand joke that hopefully would help them sell more t-shirts.

>You are a reprehensible little shit to justify threats against anyone.
So, kind of like the PA guys? Who felt that "I know where you live and I'll rape you" threats were fine and dandy as long as they were done by people who sided with them? They kept on fanning the flames and only instantly changed their tune when a tiny bit of the shit being flung flew in their direction, too. Of course threats are awful, but it's daft to start shit like that, actively encourage the shitflinging and try to make money off it - and then act shocked and surprised when some eventually starts to get thrown in your direction, too

Not the previous user, but when you've got a crowd of fans that's misbehaving, you generally want to put some distance between yourself and the crowd's act, else people WILL assume you're tacitly agreeing. Like it or not, that's how it works.

And where are you from, my cultural enrichment dispensing fellow?

it's a prefix that comes from molecular chemistry that means the opposite of trans. The two words describe things like "this atom is on the same side of a molecule as this other atom".

It's been forced into this new context to mean "not transgender".

No, he just jerks off to interracial cuckold porn.

When the fuck did they ever say real threats were acceptable? When did they tell people to make these threats?

>"""

Go back to /ck/ you piece of shit.

Is it considered offensive to say you're "straight" these days?

You didn't see his Manara Spider-Woman response video? That shit was all over Sup Forums and glorious.

Ah yes, the "you have bad people on your side so your side is bad" defense

I think that's how Hillary's been attacking Bernie supporters. The so-called Berniebros

A genuine question; how do you feel about the sjw activists that got tons of rape and death threats from PA fans, all for the crimes of
a) making a personal blog post about being a rape survivor and dealing with tasteless rape jokes in the media
or
b) just generally trying to defend rape survivors and speak out for them?

You think that criticising Penny Arcade is a legit crime worthy of death threats? Because it's sort of weird how you're only shedding tears for poor Gabe and his family, but are completely ignoring that before his family got a single threat, he chose to ridicule people who were essentially just blogging about representations of rape in the media and also tried to make money out of ridiculing rape survivor activists and also the threats they received. I mean they made Dickwolves merchandise when they learned the controversy was growing. They encouraged and tried to financially benefit from the whole debacle, they can't really act like they had nothing to do with it.

If you act like threats are such a horrible thing, you should acknowledge it's pretty horrible when people get threatened for just posting some shit media commentary on their personal blog, too. But you don't, you only talk of how horrible it is that Gabe and Tycho got into some hot water for starting pointless shit and fanning it out of control to the point where it burned them, too.

>tons of rape and death threats
Soon as a single internet death/rape threat ends in actual murder or rape, I'm going to laugh at the people who think they're worth getting upset about

Until then, I hope that the crackdown against online anonymity is worth saving the feelings of the emotionally fragile

*Until a

I don't think they should have been attacked at all. I don't like their opinions, but they're entitled to spout them off. If they acted like that in a backwoods bar people would respond negatively as well, and it still wouldn't be right.

Rape is shitty, but people are starting to put it on a level past fucking murder. I've fucking been sexually molested as a kid, my dad fucking diddled all of us. But I can laugh at a fucking pedo joke, just like people laugh at jokes about death and awful diseases. It's called black humor.

I'm shedding tears for Gabe and his family because I do know his story best, and I really shed tears for what Penny Arcade once was, something that wasn't neutered and unfunny. I'm sad that he caved in, but I understand why he did. I doubt these people had their livelihood on the line, and got anything more than nasty emails and posts on their blogs rather than phonecalls and threats delivered to their person. SJWs attacked PA's charity as well, which is there for fucking children.

Put simply, I think you're highly disingenous and care only about furthering your own agenda.

Cry more bitch nigga

Can we please stop doing """"""""this"""""""?

"""Never"""

From what I understand, much of the death threats didn't even begin until after the shirt was pulled from the store? How can you lay the blame for that at the feet of the PA crew? Certainly, the revival later on was down to Mike later calling the removal a mistake, but still.

At the end of the day, the thing is this all came from a joke in one panel of a comic with thousands of strips. When I see something in my entertainment that I disagree with, or find offensive, I either continue reading or move on. I don't start a massive controversy. I am not the thought police. I will not participate in a movement to censor a comic or any such thing, and I will not participate in any sort of violent threats against the movement.

Want to know why? Because I'm a rational person that understands that not everything has to be in my control 24/7 and that bad shit happens to good people enough in real life that I don't need to get emotionally worked up over bad shit happening in a fictional environment.