Is film school a waste of time?

Is film school a waste of time?

Yes.
>I didn't go to film school, I went to films. etc. etc.

Yes, Tarantino didn't go to film school he went to films.

Depends of the film school you go to. It can be extremely helpful not just to learn but to meet people that might help you make movies down the road (or you might help them).
Whether you like it or not, to make a movie you need to work with lots of people, and going to a place where there's a bunch of people trying to do the same is a good thing.

yap, you should go to films, not film schools :^)

Yes. AND money.

use it for equipment or connections. everything else is a waste of time and money.

>Close to failing my classes In a film course.
>Have passed anything to do with pitching, writing, editing and directing with flying colours.
>Bogged down because of class fillers that are there to extend tbe length of the course

Should I just say fuck it and go home to my farm?

Depends what you want to do.

If you're into big time stuff like writing or directing, then you're probably better off just practicing doing that stuff every day.

If you can't stick through that, you can't stick through making a movie.

Think about it and then decide if it's worthless.

Is flick school a waste of time?

Yes it is!
All the ones who go to film school are rotting away on this board. Arguing over what is KINO and what isn't. Bunch of fags.

i wanted to make movies

but then i realized how much of a soul sucking misadventure it would be

how can be a waste of time if you are learning something?

If you want to into film,you will learn some technical stuff that will be of extraordinary value.
You hate Fight Club?Guardians of teh Galaxy?
Do you honestly think you have the know how to make them even if you hade the budget and crew/actors,or would your project just look too "off" to be of value?
You will learn something.
Also

And oh does it show..

>I didnt go to Kino school
>I went to flicks...
What did Nolan mean by this?

I didn't go to a waste of time, I wasted time.

Depends on which one you go to and what you want to do
Some film schools (ie USC) are full of talentless hacks there on mommy and daddy's dime

If you are murrican, i'm sure its nothing too important.

In a small country like mine its different. Film school opens your way into small tax money -funded community of official film makers. You get into that community and if you are very lucky, one day you'll be granted few millions and an opportunity to direct your first film which in turn gives you practically a tax money funded dayjob

Almost every film in my country is tax funded and they also use almost same actors in every film. Film school is your only way to get into circle if you want to make ANY money with filmmaking

are you Finnish/Swedish/Danish/Norwegian?

Sounds eerily similar to Australia's film industry

yes, fin. fuck these industries my man

I think its almost every european industry except france and italy maybe

I hate the idea of that so much that I'd refuse to go even if that were the case in my country (UK)
But as is, it's even more retarded than that

Waste of money more than time. You're paying for contacts. All the information you can learn for yourself faster for free online

Yes.
But do you know what isn't a waste of time?
Knowing, or being one of these: image related

George Lucas is the best director ever and he went to film school.

It depends, you really have to put yourself out there and make shit happen. Also find a school that focuses on the technical aspects (editing, camerawork, etc.) and not one that just teaches you to express yourself and shit.

I went to LAFilm school when it was a one year program. Made friends, connections, and had access to equipment and people to help.

Don't go to USC or UCLA or any such 4year. My old roommate came from highschool and is still working in the industry. I never finished 4 year and am still working in the industry.

Basically, if you know people you're fine.

I guess not, as long as you don't take everything that you saw there too formally.You won't create anything worthy just by vomiting back some theory.

Bela Tarr is the actual greatest director ever and he started his own film school and then abandoned it
So what does that tell you?

Yes, if you like being employed.

What's going on here?

An unusually large-nosed man with cold hands?

dude you are fucking right.
also tarantino might went to films instead of going to film school, but he worked on movie sets before directing shit. so its like directors teach him how to direct. in my country director is nothing but camera man. everyone who can record vids calls himself director. so there is no way that i can master directing without going to a film school. (sfmbe)

>but he worked on movie sets before directing shit
I don't think so. He worked in a video store and made the unfinished film My Best Friend's Birthday. He also unsuccesfully tried to sell screenplays.
>in my country director is nothing but camera man
Where do you live? Who talks to the actors?

pls

it would be a waste of time if you can learn it better elsewhere

>Is film school a waste o-
Yes

Yes, I went to film school for more than 2 years and it's a total waste of time.

Study alone and make your own films as soon as possible. That's the only way to success.

Yes if you want to learn
No if you want to meet people, but you better have fucking stacks, and if you do, you probably know people already

Gamora?

Wrong, any scholar institution is 90% filler just to fill the obligated time span they have to fill, unlike creative projects where you may very well finish something before due date and not have unnescessary pointless wastes of time bringing them down.

yes. just go to films

Yes, instead of going to film school go to films

>watching who wants to be a millionaire the other day
>film student douche contestant
>doesnt know what a cesar award is
And I thought all they taught was that stupid bullshit. what do they actually do at film school?

It depends on the school. If you want to actually make films, going to film school may be the best way to get access to material resources to actually make a few short films, and might give you access to better cameras and a hands-on experience with the gear.
That kind of stuff is important. The artsy fartsy film analysis bullshit is not. If you have a certificate in being a dolley grip, that's a good paying job that people need, and it can get you on to sets. Get on to sets, and you can get to know people. It's all good stuff from there.