How do I write comedy better...

How do I write comedy better? Almost every time I think of a joke or funny scene it's generic and not at all like the comedy I usually enjoy.

>>/lit/
but most comics draw on personal experience so try to recreate events in your life

I don't have a life.

Writing for what exactly? A standup routine? Scripted comedy?

now thats comedy

Scripted comedy, I should've specified.
To be even more specific, I'm writing a s

what the fuck, my post cut off.

I'm writing a short film adaptation of Hamlet.

you take the things you like from the type of comedy that you like and figure out what makes it good in your opinion, like any art. for example, one of the reasons curb is really great is that the episodes have multiple punchlines that are foreshadowed throughout the episode. i also think execution is a really big point, so even if you're writing something down it's difficult to imagine other people finding it funny unless they see it

alright.

maybe writing comedy is not your talent and you should do something else instead

And you want to make it comedic?

Yeah, it's Hamlet.
The entire character of Polonius is comic relief.

The first joke you come up with is always gonna be the obvious one because you thought of it first.
Try writing the first 3 things that pop in to your head and crossing those out, because they are going to suck and be generic. Then rewrite those three things in to one joke, or flip one of those jokes on it's head in a meta way. it works for family guy and rick and morty

Wtf? I have 3 shows on fox now!

You doing this for school or something?

Create character whos comedy comes from his inertness and social awkwardness
Basically NHK but without the infinite depression

Observe more, interact less. Watch more comedy, but not anything too low or high brow. Gain life experience, which is mostly through age, not "doing".
I'm not saying I'm a comic genius, but I'm older and watch people. I'm not anti-social, just quiet. Since I was a kid I've observed adult human behavior. I have absorbed that and culture/media that most people don't. I'm not a fedora tipper, and don't think I'm some wise observer of human nature, but being quiet and watching has made me good at knowing when to jump in and say something funny.
Self loathing and contempt for humanity and the inevitable of death also help. Self deprecation as part of the shit that is humanity is a plus.

see!

Basically. When you observe a lot of comedy, you learn why using some words is funnier than others. You also learn the importance of timing and delivery.

Practice

Thank you for understanding what I meant and not jumping down my throat saying I was an edgelord. It really does just come from years of observation, understanding norms and subverting with the unexpected given the context or situation.

Unfortunately, yes.

that's not funny. Being socially awkward isn't a joke.

>Actual advice
If you want to write anything at all you have to go outside and have a life

Write it first, then punch up the jokes.

Xavier: Renegade Angel didn't get written on the first draft.

>but not anything too low or high brow.

What did he mean by this?

bump

bump

bump

bump

Give us an example of something you've written, and we can help you improve.

>one of the reasons curb is really great is that the episodes have multiple punchlines that are foreshadowed throughout the episode
Curb is fucking mindboggling with how tight and longrunning their setups are. Even when you figure out that usually something from extremely early in an episode or even entire season is coming back to finish another joke, it still surprises you. LD is a god.

if jokey jokes aren't for you then they aren't for you, this is far from an indication that comedy isn't for you though. try other kinds of comedy, situational comedy where you can just write out some plots and how can they go wrong/be put together again and how do the character interact with it? it won't guarantee laugh out loud comedy but at the very least if it works it makes the audience feel good when they watch or read

>How do I write comedy better?
If you want to be a writer, ANY type of writer, you need to either have a world of experiences or be a voracious reader. You need a fuckton of reference points and scenarios to draw from and find a humorous angle in.

You don't. You're not a writer, fatty.
Just go back to your videogames and move on.

fucking say it, if it's not right it'll get cut

That's if you want to be a writer who wants to be recognized by other writers. Yeah, for pure, "I had a dream of being a comedy writer, so I followed the steps of these mediocre coworkers" was your actual dream. Being respected by your peers is different from writing things that will be appreciated by ACTUAL others who haven't tired of the five paths of satire

>That's if you want to be a writer who wants to be recognized by other writers.
I still think you need a lot of experience and need to be well read (within reason) for either demographic, but yeah, I agree there are differences in writers-writers and writing for mass appeal.

I haven't actually written anything.

Get writing and reading, nigga. Even professional authors write multiple hours a day, every day to hone their craft. Being an idea man isn't going to cut it.

I wish I could focus or had motivation.
Depression just makes me apathetic.

bump one more time

Oh shit, I haven't read any novels, or anything really in years.

I don't even play video games.