Set models bread. Higher the resolution, the better

Set models bread. Higher the resolution, the better.

>best enterprise

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/142-behind-the-scenes-photos-reveal-blade-runners-minia-1691950942
youtube.com/watch?v=nH66DI2nYUs&list=PLsDN-YYXUpXLHQ2Z9i8F2i_t-evPSUXmm
propstore.com/the-prop-store-collection/alien/alien-nostromo/
youtube.com/watch?v=9NoCsZvYeEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ARcgqTx3NOg
soundcloud.com/opticalpodcast/the-optical-001
youtu.be/dEmXA0Itv6A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

wheat

The first 6 Star Trek movies had SEXY model work. Absolutely top notch shit.

Doug Trumbull couldn't stand that model. Felt it was far too small at only 7' long, making it hard to shoot properly. His model for the Valley Forge in Silent Running had been 26' long and the model for V'Ger was a whopping 60'.

Based ILM

This.

They also had the sexiest production design and color palette of any Trek.

Holy shit

They fucked up by not having them build that Enterprise at the end of Star Trek Beyond. Love that design. Just put some blue on the sides of the nacelles and red on the front and it would be beautiful!!!FACT!!!

The end of Star Trek Beyond is still like 15 years before TMP would have taken place. Are you retarded?

Kinda fits

Imagine the autism required to create that out of legos. Be cool if someone actually built it.

The whole JJverse is too fucked up to be saved already, so it really wouldn't matter if they debuted that design a few years early.

It's not that big come on

No fucking way that thing was 7 km long.

No shit? im gonna have to rewatch starship troopers

Why would someone make this? Is JJ's Enterprise actually large enough to piss trekkies off? What's the actual scale?

Fine.

Let's take the turbo lift to the bridge.
>8 hours later

>we will never get a show on the Enterprise C

I found this on Reddit earlier today.

io9.gizmodo.com/142-behind-the-scenes-photos-reveal-blade-runners-minia-1691950942

This happened because at the last minute they realized the shuttlecraft were out of scale, so they just doubled the length of the Enterprise even though this means the windows don't work right. The bridge windows end up being 4M tall on the outside and 2M tall on the inside, among other things.

fucking beautiful

Yeah, this exactly.

It's so much easier to ignore the ILM number and that one bad shot and realize that according to on-screen canon the JJprise is only slightly bigger than the TOS ship, which would make the USS Vengeance about the same size as the -C or -D, which by every shot of it she pretty clearly is.

/autism

theres a nice youtube video about the restoration of the nostromo model.
that thing is as big as my first car

youtube.com/watch?v=nH66DI2nYUs&list=PLsDN-YYXUpXLHQ2Z9i8F2i_t-evPSUXmm

It's not that big The ship that dwarfed it in Into Darkness made by Admiral Robocop wasn't even the size of San Francisco.

the windows betray 3 levels in the saucer so its only slightly bigger than TOS movie version.
but then the shuttle bay palace wouldnt have fit inside it.
jj abrams couldnt give a fuck about any of that or realistic turbolift travel times.

I did some searching on Youtube and found this interesting video and article:
propstore.com/the-prop-store-collection/alien/alien-nostromo/

Essentially, some guyy who was a fan of Alien back in 1979 acquired the model from the studio itself, who wanted to unload it from storage to clear space. He displayed it inside his house for a while, but it was so large that he eventually moved it outside and it sat under a tarp for 30 20+ years decaying, until some guys bought it to restore it to its original condition. Pretty fucking awesome.

youtube.com/watch?v=9NoCsZvYeEQ

Fantastic as always

That's cool as shit

>one bad shot

No way. The TOS shuttles were the size of a van and the Enterprise only had two of them. Abrams shuttles are the size of DS9's runabouts and the ship had a dozen of them in a massive shuttle bay. As a Trekkie, that shuttle bay scene shocked me.

Still confused which way it actually flys cause Prometheus & Covenant

Continued. Found a picture of the Xbox huge shuttle bay.

some autist kinda did

In due fairness the original TOS Enterprise never had a fully fleshed out shuttle bay because of budget issues. Same thing with TNG. Only one that showed a full shuttle bay was Star Trek 5.

Everytime I come to Sup Forums, Abram's enterprise gets bigger.

That's not a budget issue. That's being half the size of the Abramsprise.

Snowspeeder is tiny as fuck, smaller than a small car, that's insane. I always thought it looked so much bigger in the movies.

Yet this picture makes it seem too small.

In Star Trek Into The Darkness, it was seen hiding in a lake at the beginning of the film, which is when it emerged revealing itself to the natives, and breaking the Prime Directive to save Spock.

im still blown away at what frank oz did in little shop of horrors desu, don't think we'll ever see anything as technically as audrey 2 again

it's a mighty shame none of the pod puppets used in the unreleased version are circulating out in the wild, but it's even worse no photograhs save for some shots of the bridge scene were taken. I'd love to have see a good look at the scope of the sound stage they were using since they basically recreated a a miniature version of new york for a 6 minute ending, that shit would never fly these days

special edition fags will deny this

You may have noticed, most of the shots of the Enterprise in Wrath of Khan are actually from The Motion Picture. The original bombed but they spent a ton of money shooting those models, and the studio didn't want to spend so much for the sequel, so they just lifted entire shots from the first movie. They look great though.

>test audiences wanted a happy ending so they scrapped all of this

thank fuck they finally released the director's cut, it's so good

happier times

kek

I'll nominate ST:TMP as the peak of model based optical effects.

As early as Star Trek 2 the money shot effects started to move towards CGI.

also. thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=ARcgqTx3NOg

That's a trip, is there a little projector or TV or something with Kirk and Scotty inside of the model?

>fuck ambiguity

i was just looking at that

they must have projected film of he actors into the model window as the miniature was filmed.

i haven't listened to this before, but while looking for images i came up with this podcast

ep one is ST:TNG and Alien. Very thread relevant
soundcloud.com/opticalpodcast/the-optical-001

pls don't blame me if cacer

Every time I come to Sup Forums, Alaska just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

It's a shame that we don't have the kind of extensive detailed behind-the-scenes footage of old movies that we almost always get with modern movies. I think it would be a lot more interesting than all the CGI rendering stuff they show us.

fuck. i regret posting this.

literal faggots don't even talk about effects. no wonder no one's heard of this crap

Grant Imahara working on Coruscant

More films like this?

How do I get into set design?

>Sovereign Nation of Ree'Ak'tor
Farewell, my sides

>Giger used a toothbrush to paint parts of this set

Galaxy is NCC-1701-D, Sovereign is NCC-1701-E.

Any more Star Trek models, specifically Space Dock?

You're reading it wrong. The ship names are under the ships not over.

The most kino starfighter of all time.

Damn, thanks.

out there, THATAWAY!

tyb nolan

youtu.be/dEmXA0Itv6A

take up 3d modelling because it's all fucking cg now.

I watched TMP and WoK for the first time yesterday.
The first shot of the new Enterprise in TMP is absolutely gratuitous and feels about 15 minutes long, in fact the whole movie feels like a model expo, in a good way.

miniatures look like garbage 99% of the time

good CGI is way superior

Hard to belive that was a miniature. It looked so digital in the actual movie.

>it's all fucking cg now
I'll make make my own movies then. Any recommended reading so I'm not a hack?