Superman was initially just a good guy with incredible strength. When and how did he become an icon of hope and heroism?

Superman was initially just a good guy with incredible strength. When and how did he become an icon of hope and heroism?

will we ever get him back?

early-mid golden age.

> icon of ... heroism

Superman is considered an icon of heroism because he's considered the first real super hero the way that these were understood at the time he started and he's been in print continuously since that time.

However, he was always about heroism (these panels are from Superman (1939) #1 and I would say that taking these panels into account (this is my own edit, I'll post the two actual pages after this so people can see there's nothing out of context) that it's also a message of helping and, in that respect, a hopeful one.

I mean when are good guys of any sort not about hope? When you watch your local news, and rather than them wasting all that screen time on an four car pile up, or a thunderstorm that washed away all these people possessions, but instead they depict a fire engine crew putting out a fire (sure the building was damaged/partially destroyed) but they saved all the people PLUS there pets. So, the fire department is the good guys and isn't that something that makes you think hope?

Just storytime Superman #1 please.

Youre not posting them :(

Not him, but If he doesn't start when I get home(about an hour, depending on traffic) i can story time it. I have been thinking about a "Grand Superman Storytime". But I don't have the level of dedication that X-user has.

Dangit Bobby, I was hoping he'd come back. Now it's up to me to do this storytime

>You're hurting me

>an eighth of a mile

How specific

It's funny because the some of the first issues of nu52 superman were supposed to be depowered like this. Kind of a waste that they went the other way with that.

Bless you user.

Bump a rump

and that's a wrap!

Morrison wanted to do a Golden age -> Silver Age transition sort of story, but I think he made things move too fast. The Collector/Brainiac stuff should have been at least around the end of his run, rather than 5 issues in.

I love Morrison's run, but this is a point. There's also that weird, time skip early on that throws me off

I see no flaws with this logic.

Look at the top of his head

>DCEU Superman will never be this fun

look at this dick

>You're ruining all of my needles!
>Do it again.

Superman isn't about fun, did you think the Bible was about fun?

>will we ever get him back?

>did you think the Bible was about fun?
>Fire and Brimstone
Wait,it isn't?!

Thank you, user. That was pretty fun.