What happened to Marvel Sup Forums? How can most of their stuff be so shitty, yet still sell so well?

What happened to Marvel Sup Forums? How can most of their stuff be so shitty, yet still sell so well?

I started reading comics in '98, with Spider-Man, X-men and Batman. I've always loved Batman and Spider-man in particular. But I got more into Marvel than DC. Through the years since, I've been reading Spider-Man, various X-titles and Wolverine, Avengers, Daredevil, Dr Strange occasionally, Iron Fist and Defenders and Captain America on occasion.

Now I'm reading one, Vision. All the other titles have gone to complete shit, latest one I dropped was Daredevil, Spidey went to shit a long time ago.

Meanwhile, I'm picking up more DC titles, The various Batman titles, the various JL-titles, Stormwatch and Midnighter, Green Arrow, Superman and Action Comics and the latest, Green Lantern.

What the fuck happened to Marvel?

No you're not you're a DC fan pretending to be a Marvel fan. You're just jealous Marvel is doing better than ever and DC is about to go under.

>what the fuck happened to marvel
nothing, you have just dont like things that other people like, its not a new thing, it happens all the time. instead of making a thread about it, just read something else next time

Nice blog post.

He just has better taste than other people
Enjoy your irreverant quirky garbage Marvel Zombie,

Marvel HAS gone to shit though. It's all reboot after reboot, forced gender/race swaps, pandering to SJW, and Bendis, fucking Bendis is their top writer.

I think the problem wuth Spidey is that Slott has been on him for way to long, that's why I stopped reading Batman after DotF, I knew Synder would stuck around and just didn't want to read his character any more. Honestly I'm really enjoying a number of titles that Marvel has been putting out post SW, a few of them even make up the majority of my pull list. It just boils down into stuff you want to read and stuff you don't care about reading, it's okay if you enjoy something more than something else, that's perfectly natural.

you are really going to give marvel shit for reboot after reboot, and defend dc? all sjw pandering? i dont read dc but i saw that WW mansplaining shit, so i doubt dc is any better. why cant we all just get along, you like dc, i like marvel, why cant we just celebrate the fact that we both love super heroes?

This and pandering to the movie audience, which is near to non-existant. They're just not going to buy comics.

I'm not the OP and I don't read DC. As far as I know though, before the new52 reboot, their last reboot was in the 80's or something. Marvel however reboots as often as they can to get those #1's selling.

As someone reading plenty of titles from both, I can confirm "SJW pandering" happens in Marvel more then it does DC. DC sometimes has it in the more fringe stuff not connected to their universe. That WW mansplaining thing was an example.

Keep crying DeeSee boy. Marvel has better movies and comics deal with it.

reissuing to #1 isnt the same as rebooting user...its a shitty practice and my collectors autism hates it

Let's not forget who buckled under SJW pressure first. Had it not been for the cowardly act of removing this variant, tbe SJW would have by passed comic books and moved onto day time /ck/ shows.

More often than not a new #1 means a soft reboot for a character.

What the hell are you talking about?

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board, surpassing the previous long running winner of 'Obama's republic of hitlerstan'

Is this bait?
Sure, their line up not as awful as some make it to be, but is clearly worse than when Marvel Now started. At least something happened there. Almost all books have 6 or more issues and I feel like no arc has stood out at all.

>reboot after reboot
I thought you were talking about Marvel, not DC.

>One reboot in 1986,
>One in 2011
>One in 2016

Yeah, sure.

Rebirth isn't a reboot so take off the 2016

Disney is now fully aware that the comics division of Marvel Entertainment will literally never be profitable again without massive changes to the market itself and the basic assumptions of the comics industry.
Seeing this they've likely told Marvel to just do whatever they think will boost sales even for a month at a time so they can squeeze as much money as possible out of Marvel's incredibly poorly run comics division and then safely ignore it so they don't have to keep injecting cash into it to keep it afloat and focus on the REAL money-making asset Marvel has, namely access to extremely valuable intellectual property rights that they can turn into toys and movies and the like.
In effect the comics divison of Marvel is now simply a money sinkhole with no chance of financial success ever again and so the comics writers are just kind of flailing around trying to find something that works while obeying orders from higher up the corporate food chain.

It doesn't help that the writers and managers at Marvel are the grown-up fans of the late 80's and 90's, the original generation of the type insular and messed-up comic book nerd that in the 90's became the "standard" comic book fan thanks to the market almost exclusively marketing towards them and thus know next to nothing about running a business or anything outside certain comics they liked that they read thirty years before modern day.

DC is suffering from similar problems by the way, but it doesn't work out the same way in practice because Disney and Time-Warner are run very differently from each other.

True.

Disney, more /biz/ coming about this than Sup Forums. I have never really stayed up to date with comics and maximum carnage is my guilty pleasure but i can confirm that having Disney shareholders and management interfering with the direction of Marvel after the buy out has led to a large pivot towards pleasing as many people as possible. I felt it first hand on a huge level when Disney bought significant shares in VICE, they axed behind the headlines covered and eliminated a significant portion of their long form documentaries like 'this is what winning looks like' to try and cash in on SJournalism and shit tier shows to begin building a schedule for their impending television channel, not to mention eliminating the gritty edge that made vice so great. Look into the history of Disney's effect on media company's when they purchase controlling portions of their shares or acquire boards seats.
Now, of course you could argue that DC has been pandering just as hard to try and cash in on casuals and appease sjws but that is another matter entirely.

Is it never going to get better for people who just care about comics?

we still have the walking dead.

Honestly, I think comics just don't have mass appeal anymore. Once all the guys in the late twenties, 30's and 40/50's die off, the millenials interest in comics will be so non-existant, it'll just wipe the comics industry out.

Don't say that like it's a good thing.

Wouldn't they keep the comics alive anyways just for IP farming?

Probably not, no.
Not unless the industry changes massively at more then just the Big Two; indies, the fans, the distribution market, it would all need to change.
Sorry to say, but if you were born in the mid to late 80's or afterword you were born AFTER comics had their heyday and you grew up with their highest point financially but the beginning of the downslope that leads to the permanent decline of the industry itself.

It's why I only read older stuff myself.
Nothing new is worth supporting with actual money.

They don't, no.
The industry could make some changes to make itself more profitable, but it would require a LOT of them and many modern fans, even ones who are Millenials like me, would likely hate them for being so different.
Yes, but they actually would only need to legally release a single issue for any character a year to do that.
They might keep them going on a regular basis anyway, the same way a man who's brain has died can be kept biologically alive if you spend time and effort pumping his blood and air into his lungs and shit.

But sometimes you just have to let things die.

I enjoy it, consistently upper mid-tier material and decent character development. What don't you like about it?

I'm just slightly above the age requirement to be here. It hurts to see something I love die but I should've seen it coming when most of the things I loved are silver and bronze age material.

I'm in the same boat in both regards (28 and reading Amazing Spider-Man during the Lee/Buscema era right now).
In many ways, I'm okay with it. I don't NEED to have new things to enjoy old things, and quite frankly the ugly toxicity of the comics fandom has reached the point where I honestly feel very little sympathy for their hobby dying.

It's not like superheroes won't be around.
The movies won't be the same and they won't always be perfect quality or excellent adaptions of the characters, but that's been true of comics themselves for more then twenty-five years.

And I admit it makes me smile when my little sister talks about how she thinks Black Panther is the coolest guy ever after she saw the new Cap film.

That's still not very comforting to be honest, I've encountered too many fans of the MCU and the like who put down comic fans and view comics as beneath them. That and the sensationalist buzz you have surrounding them is just as much cancer as the biggest Superboy Prime wannabes you can find. Eh, what can you do?....

Well we like superheroes for different reasons then I guess, but that's fair.

Superheroes just tend to overlap with things I enjoy and not so much superheroics themselves. I love things like Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four when they're off having crazy adventures, vast shared universes with a lot of lore, the fact nearly any genre of story can happen in these worlds, etc. Spider-Man is great though.

F4 is great too just because of how fucking nuts it is.
Fox never really understood that by toning down the Fantastic Four you're basically removing the stuff about them that made them worth watching in the first place.

>Meanwhile, I'm picking up more DC titles,

Tastes OP. More people like Marvel than DC comics. That's not my subjective opinion, that's simply a matter of sales.

You can think "Hey those guys like inferior comics", and many of them probably think it right back at you when they see you with your handful of Batproduct.

A lot of us don't buy Big Two or sample from writers we like in both.

We also don't make shitty, transparent Company Wars threads.

>Falseflagging this hard

The core of the problem is writing.
The bulk of comics writers are either aging fan boys who just want to push the fanfic they came up with in highschool. Or they are hacks looking to make a name before moving on to "real" writing.
Either way they keep getting work because there's no money to hire anyone better

>Honestly, I think comics just don't have mass appeal anymore.
Correction, western comics (Yes, that includes indie books). Manga will takes it's place as soon as those Marvel movies stop making bank.

No op but i just want to say something, When I check dc storytimes in Sup Forums people seems happier for exception being batman eternal while in marvel storytime people seems to be more triggered and very few times they are happy

not op, you read valiant then?

Is manga even that popular to the general public anymore in the west? The Big Three are all practically dead and I barely hear any talk outside of people who were already into manga in the first place from years back

Devil's advocating here, couldn't that just mean something like Sup Forums has more DC fans reading DC's comics? Not to mention Marvel's thing of outraging people for sales that they've been up to for a decade now.

Valiant is going to die when their first movie flops on them. They'll become an Icarus of comic companies.

Maybe

I live in Sweden, and here it's very popular, my LCS sells both manga and comics, there's always lots of weaboo girls and guys there buying manga.

I live in the US and I barely here people talking about manga who aren't 90s kids that already grew up with the stuff. Anime maybe but not manga.