Captain America: Civil War overtakes Zootopia, now highest-grossing movie of 2016

By close of play on Tuesday, Civil War has earned $306.6 million domestically, with a further $665.3 from international markets, for a total of $971.9 million and counting compared to Zootopia’s $971.3 million.

Marvel does it again. Infinity is gonna break it again

>Civil War outgrossing Zootopia

Does it deserve it, Sup Forums?

It was bound to happen.

If Zootopia had proper marketing ot would reach billion month ago, now it has 30/70 chance it will.

MCU movies sell like hotcakes because everyone knows when they're coming and what are they about, prequels were good too.

I'm not upset about zootopia losing to it, its still best animated movie of the year, and it deserves this title.

Wow, Disney overtaking Disney.

How will Disney even recover?

Realistically, when will CW surpass the 1 bilion mark? One week or less?

This weekend.

Tomorrow

The only one who can beat Disney is Disney

Probably by Friday

Good that will show them furrys who's top dog.

By working for Disney, obviously.

Both are great movies, I'd say both deserved it

Monday at the latest and that's being pessimistic.

Of course it is, this is fucking Avengers, we're talking about.

This weekend.

did anyone seriously think that this will bomb/would not surpass 1 gorillion mark?
but Sup Forums said so answers doesnt count

Good. Zootpia cucks put in their place.

2 months before I genuinely thought that BvS was gonna go 1.3B and Civil War max out at 900m or something.

I just expect the brand recognition to be stronger than the quality of the movie. I also expected BvS to be a lot better and CW a lot worse. Russos's lightning hit the bottle twice, it seems.

All non-troll and sane people thought both BvS and Civil War would make more than a billion and that X-Men would make 700 million at most.

>somewhere, zootopia fans are crying that their movie isn't the greatest money making movie of 2016

>I just expect the brand recognition to be stronger than the quality of the movie
That only works for Michael Bay

And James Cameron.

Although no, neither Titanic nor Avatar were marketed around him. And neither was that great. Not billion dollar great anyway. It's just magic.

While I think the MCU movies are excellent movies I can totally see how people feel it's undeserved.

The MCU is popular for the same reason as One Piece. Sure it's a big universe and every piece of story adds to it, but if it had a normal length it would only be enjoyed by a bunch of people. The reason why it's such a big phenomenon is that it's so long running now and literally defines generations and EVERYONE will eventually be caught in the hype.

When Infinity War hits the hype is gonna explode, this will literally be something that will mark movie history.

Zootopia gets a different claim to fame. Only the third movie in the past dozen years to stay in the top 10 for twelve consecutive weeks.

>All non-troll and sane people thought both BvS and Civil War would make more than a billion
Well they were wrong about BvS.

Its actually sad that there are people who feel shit that their DISNEY movie got surpassed by a DISNEY movie.

It helps that they are all pretty great to excellent movies...

Sadder that people get upset over something that doesn't affect them at all one way or another.

They're not earning or losing money whatsoever.

Is it also sad that people feel hyped and cheering that a DISNEY movie passed a DISNEY movie?

Or is it reassuring that many more people hear the news and react, "Oh, okay"?

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND BECAUSE 'MERICA

Epic

Not surprising, just kind of wanted Zootopia to hit 1B for fun.

Disney will blame Disney for buying Critics.

1B seemed a safe guess for Batman and Superman on name recognition alone if it was just ok, which means they really failed hard to not make it there even. I guess 1.2 or so would have been reasonable if it was a good movie. 1.5+ I guess would be if it was great. Not sure how hard it is to get even higher than that.

Movie has legs like Nicole Kidman

I wasn't sure at first, but I think this will surpass Age of Ultron

>CW beat Zootopia
We did it, Sup Forums

OHH SAY CAN YOU SEEEEE

I haven;t seen this garbage. Is it still on theaters?

Civil War stil hasnt made as much money as Age of Ultron?

It's been out for thirteen days, a bit early to be measuring its legs. A fairly standard 60% second weekend drop.

It's only been out for 2 weeks, of course it's still in theaters.

>Disney beating Disney
I wonder if the US government will break up Disney when it keeps beating out other companies to the point the only successful movies are from Disney

>40
If only.

>Disney cannot be stopped
>The only thing that can defeat Disney is itself

>40
WB/Dc wished it was 40

You say that like AoU was a commercial flop and it'd be an easy thing to surpass it. AoU is the 7th highest grossing movie of all time at 1.4 billion.

This is the best day of my life.

Why do you hate furries so much?

>you say that like
No, I'm just asking. It's been quite sometime since AoU and it seems like everyone was more hyped for Civil War. I figured it would have passed AoU already

Nah man, you probably don't remember how hyped everyone was for AoU.

The trailers looked great and it was the follow-up to not only The Avengers (which was very well received), but also to GotG and Winter Soldier which were some of the best MCU movies. Everyone was super hyped about it. Hell, it got the biggest international box office for MCU, even more than the first Avengers.

>BvS will end up making less money domestically than Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy

How the fuck did this happen?

Yeah, but after it's been worn down by The Darkness, Money Monster, The Angry Birds Movie, Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, The Nice Guys, Alice in Wonderland 2, X-Men: Apocalypse, Me Before You, Popstar, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, The Conjuring 2, Now You See Me 2, Warcraft, Central Intelligence, Finding Dory, Free State of Jones, Independence Day: Resurgence, The BFG, The Legend of Tarzan, The Purge: Election Year, The Shallows, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, The Secret Life of Pets, Ghostbusters, The Infiltrator, Ice Age: Collision Course, Lights Out, Star Trek Beyond, Bad Moms, Jason Bourne, Nerve, The Founder, Nine Lives and Suicide Squad, how much will it have left in the tank?

Bad Movies Do Bad in the Theatres
On other news: Water is wet

>40

Well, that's being rather kind.

Civil War had a slightly worse opening weekend than AoU, but a better 2nd week. It will probably end up somewhere around the 1.2-1.4 billion mark. If it manages to surpass AoU, it probably won't be by much.

Explain Transformers and TFA (not bad but incredibly overrated)

Bay overrides every rule

I swear, Sup Forums is the only place I see that shits on TFA so much.

Every normie I know fucking loved the movie. I'm not saying it's not overrated, but people here seem to be really out of touch with how the general audience responds to some movies.

Actually, it looks like it had almost the exact same percentage drop.

Damn, even Jungle Book is close to surpassing BvS.

Damn, that drop between 7 and 8.

>WB
>Snyder
>Nepotism
>Gal Gadot
>Eisenberg Luthor
>no Timm/Dini
>being lazy and arrogant enough to think that Batman and Superman's name alone is enough to carry a movie
>trying to jump on cinematic universe train without a plan
>terrible marketing (revealing Doomsday and over inflated marketing budget)
>terrible script
>shoehorned cameos (literal teaser trailers in the movie)
>teaser trailer/Luthor giving heroes their logos
>terrible editing
>Batman gunning down people (I have no problem Batman killing people when the chips are down, but mowing thugs down with a big gun is stupid)
>Superman having a beef with Batman about vigilantism when he just killed a guy in Africa
>Superman who was just established that he would kill people if they threaten the ones he loves, doesn't kill Luthor when he just pushed Lois of the building
I could write more but you get the picture

>Yfw Jungle Book surpasses BvS

TFA was playing it safe and had a shitty villain and OP heroine. It still was a better movie than BvS and ofc Transformers

Hey, BvS being the 46th highest grossing film is pretty good.

I mean, sure Batman and Superman couldn't beat something like Ice Age 4 but it did better than Catching Fire!

The Transformer films do one thing very well: Visual action. Crazy over the top set scenes and explosions, giant alien machines blowing up city streets, the action can bring a crowd in. Yes you can squawk how bad it is but your no better then a retard telling a guy that is smoking "You know those are bad for you?" they already know, they made their choice long ago.
No one goes into a Transformers, Avengers or TMNT and expect Shakespeare quality, they expect a roller coaster of fun and not much else.
Force Awakens played on nostalgia in spades, they showed the audience the old generation and are clearly passing the torch to the new one. It was done in such a way that the best you get is your thinking that it's overrated.

BvS failed because it's editing was a huge mess making it a pain follow the story feeling like some 6 year old is telling you his Batman fan fiction. The action was muddled and for the most part boring with little to excite and it didn't give the audience a Superman or even (to a point) a Batman they wanted. Even the fight felt force and it's resolution felt even more so.

It was a bad film through and through

doesn't make you sad that it still mad so much money?

like 46th of every movie ever made, it still made a fucking profit, the movie should have been such a loss warner bros collapsed

but fat d/c whales went and watched it 20 times each to boost sales

I can't even count the amount of BvS fanboys who were claiming it wouldn't.

All they needed was one of the Ultimate Tickets. $100 got you a metal card with your name engraved on it that was good for one admission to BvS every day that the movie was in theaters.

it's just a testament to how shitty it was

this gets thrown around a lot, but it was LITERALLY the blunder of the century

it's sales were from advertising. They made a big splash in week one to a puddle dip weak 2.
Those numbers you see were made in week one and that was it.
Jungle Book is on the verge of passing it because it's showings are still warming seats. BvS has been pulled from US theaters by a massive 80% while Jungle Book has only had 20% pulled since release.
Hell Deadpool might have challenged it if Fox wasn't so greedy to ride the coat tails of success into disc sales so soon.

>paying to watch BvS EVERY day
Just kill me

I can just imagine an attendant at the cinema trying not to laugh if they saw this.

>Transformers
It's bad but it's "fun" so stupid people can still enjoy it. BvS was too stupid for smart viewers and too boring for stupid viewers, so it couldn't really capitalize on either market.

>TFA
First of all this movie isn't bad, despite what Sup Forums contrarians would have you believe. It's a very entertaining movie that's only sin is not taking many risks. Secondly it's the first half-decent Star Wars movie in like 30 years, it was going to be hype even if the reviews were slightly worse.

That wouldn't work for the chart posted.
It's a page showing highest grossing films, meaning sales.
There is no profit made after you buy the card
I had a friend that bought one of those cards. He came out before the premiere of BvS was over with 6 other people and threw a shitfit that he wanted his money back. Took him two weeks with corporate but he got all his money back.

Jungle Book's only been out five weeks and it should drop down to around 5th place this weekend. Civil War still due to ride high overtop of all three new releases, though Angry Birds and/or Neighbors 2 MIGHT approach it.

>A BAT-CREDIT CARD?!

Why would anyone buy something like this?

Especially if you don't know how the movie will turn out.

Based War Mugga.
That Nigga is tight.

cause it's batman and superman
you gotta show your the ultimate fan and waste money supporting batman and superman

dont you know that the biggest tool spending the most money gets to say they are the truest fan?

Yeah, but if you're going to see it 20 times, it'd be more convenient to use the ticket and then just write Warner Bros. a check for however much more you wanted to voluntarily donate.

so many people drop $100 like its nothing

thats the price of a new game

I wonder how many of those landed on ebay after the first watching.

Not really. It's kind of embarrassing that it only made that much than anything

>but fat d/c whales went and watched it 20 times each to boost sales
See the thing is it has the highest drop for a superhero movie like ever so it doesn't matter much

Only as a collectible. With the buyer's name engraved on the back, they were checking IDs at the box office on those ones.

holy kek why would you ever buy this?

You'd have to see the movie like AT LEAST five times before it became worth it...who the fuck goes to see the same 2.5 hour movie 5 times in theaters?

Even if it'd been good I'd be bored as fuck by the third viewing.

How many damn times can you even see a movie in the cinema to justify buying this?

I think the most times I've seen a movie in the cinema was 3 times with Winter Soldier and Mad Max.

It wouldn't work unless you both shared the exact same name.

>cannot be refunded

Never forget

>not using the HQ version
Step it up.

if a ticket in the area is $8 you have to see it 13 times to break even 26 times to make it worth the investment.
So that's about every other day since launch.

A 2.5 hour movie, of course not. A movie that's only an hour and forty-eight? Sure.

but they are STILL making sequels and they STILL made a profit off it

if justice league doesn't tank and kill d/c live action off i'm going to freak

But I don't want DC live action to die. They can't die. That would be not great for Marvel too. I just want good DC movies. I want Nolan back, I want something at the level of the DCAU on screen.

>but they are STILL making sequels and they STILL made a profit off it
Yeah but so did Man of Steel and you see what happened there right?