/lang/ - Language Learning

Language Learning Thread

>Learning resources
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. Please contribute to the wiki as you learn a new language. Many pages need updates. Some pages are completely absent (Hungarian for example)

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua (embed)"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
sys.Sup Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Ffolderview%3Fid%3D0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk%23 (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

anyone use LangQ?

Reddit tier : Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto and Hebrew
/lang/ tier : Latin, Greek, French, German and Russian

I'm worried about my inferiority in speaking and writing English.
My study of English has for a long time focused on grammar and writing, reading.
I have to admit that when I saw CNN telling something I cannot find what they mean, and when I am in the presentation class I'm afraid to speak English.
Speaking itself isn't fearful for me, but I am annoyed about how much I cannot listen to what I am told and catch what it means, thus this inferiority of listening to English eliminates from me my confidence of speaking, because speaking to someone is always and of course accompanied by hearing others' saying.

>inferiority in speaking and writing English
I'm sorry I made a mistake.
I took writing for hearing.

tfw haven't studied for a week

Inability to parse what the fake news stations are attempting to deliver is actually a pretty good thing.

delivery of what I mean, I less fear it.
What I am afraid of is that I cannot take what is delivered to me.

I'm pretty sure listening is the hardest lang skill to master.

Understanding news channels is difficult for any foreign learner.

News channels often speak in ways you wouldn't hear in normal conversation.

yes you are right.

well, as almost all people think about it, it seems that all I can do is keep on listening to English speech so much as to gain the ability in stages.

Don't you guys have a good, efficient way to study?

Well that's true, however as on studying written English it is important to learn to read English newspaper, as for spoken language it is too significant to learn to hear what the News channel says.
Even if I cannot understand what BBS channel says, where can I find the value of studying English?

Does it mean that I am fairly fluent in both English and German if I do not encounter any particular difficulties when listening to the news channels in the above mentioned languages?
Find some *EDUCATED* native English speakers that would be willing to practice speaking with you in exchange for instance Japanese.

hey buddy. rule of thumb: sometimes you just gotta hit the books and if you need someone to twist your arm, or just blow off some steam just pop on over and we'll talk you down.

I ENVY YOU FOR SUCH SUPERIORITY!!!!!!!!!!
In university of Tokyo I would be able to find such persons, but I am so autistic that I cannot talk to such foreign students.
Well, why I have a fear of speaking to foreign students is what I said above.

What are you afraid of exactly? Improvement? Face it that there is no way of climbing the ladder other than practice, the sooner you realise that, the quicker you become fluent in English. Also see

>pop over
Where I have to appear?Here?

Well, yeah you are right.
Haha, I knew that since it is language, there is no way to learn to command of it but practicing it.

Learning without the royal road, right?
I cannot but sigh...

Who here /brainlet/?

I'm still here and still asking for effective ways to improve my ability to hear English!!!!!!!!!!!

The way to improve listening is to listen more, no two ways about it. Listen, listen and then listen some more. I don’t know how much free time you have, but I’d suggest you spend at least an hour or two a day listening English without any subtitles

>I learned to roll my rs therefore everyone can!
Why do people who are this ignorant even learn languages? To show off to other normies? Even once you point out to them that the tongue is a muscle that can develope very differently from person to person depending on how they talk, thus limiting what sounds you can make, they just then insist it's your fault for having "poor speech habits" as a child.

Well you'll probably want to be near English speakers, and then if you still can't hear them move closer.

You're actually much more readable than average jap. Unless you're just another larping wh*Toid

>depressed face when I heard what I am always told
OK, after all it is only way… I knew it. well, I'll go to youtube to listen to some speeches…
As for English speeches, Jobs' very famous speech at stanford is very good for me, because he made a speech in a very, very audible, clear tone.

>Japanese
>has a fewer number of syllables in its sounds
well, in this way I experienced such poverty.

ok, I'll try it.

>Shibuya station at around 17h
Can this be a proof that I'm a perverted japs?

French is the most revolting language on the face of the Earth. Every single one sounds they're swirling around a nice mix of blood spit and vomit around in their mouths at all times. I can only imagine everyday speech in France is indistinguishable speaking with with a mouth full of cock, presumably being how the accent developed.

>he made a speech in a very, very audible, clear tone.
Thats good for starting out, but don't ignore less clear speech as well. If anything, it's a good idea to search out less enunciated speech, as it's closer to what you would hear when talking with a native.

がんばれよ、日本さんの言う通り:学道に王道がなし

>all the /lang/ ones are indo european

Yeah I understand that almost all of English speekers in almost entire U.S and countries of U.K. have so strong their own accents that we cannot follow well.
As for accent, I wanna fix mine.
I'm in train now so I cannot record presently, but later I'll do it.

Let's learn French!

I am studying it as second foreign language in my university and sometimes I appear in /fr/.
Well, it's very difficult to study but it looks easier to learn grammar than german or other european languages.

>Let's learn French!
Non, j'ai échoué déjà. C'est trop difficile.

>Tfw I'm a Latin chad
I want to learn Japanese and Chinese(Cantonese) too just so I can get a hold of moonrunes and because "muh philosophy". Greek shouldn't be to hard to learn really. Also,
>Franknigger
>Krautnigger
>Slavnigger
>/lang/-tier

>cantonese
>not mandarin
why? you wanna live in hongkong?

I wanna visit there before I die, that's for sure.

What provokes you to go there to such a very strong extent?

You should try to find some English news with subtitles. Then you can listen to it, and then go back and read the subtitles to check how much you understood.

It's a weird place where only in recent history have we seen the Chinese gov't get it back from the British. I just want to see if all the historical sites related to the Qing Dynasty and/or the British Empire it has in person.

>tfw studying Italian and whenever someone asks why I tell them it's because I'm Italian even though I have almost 100% English ancestry

Fresh off of German Reddit