Why do people hate Alien 3 ? Discuss

Why do people hate Alien 3 ? Discuss.

It was disgusting and depressing without arousing any positive feelings. Alien and Aliens at least were fascinating and thrilling. Alien 3 was just a bad hangover.

> Alien and Aliens at least were fascinating and thrilling

There's a thrill throughout the first part about how the Alien got on the Sulaco and whether Newt was impregnated though

They kill Newt and Hicks as an attempt to make it more like Alien and the payoff isn't worth it because it's a fucking mess of a movie.

Oh, and it's a fucking mess of a movie that started shooting with no script, and the original director asked for his name off the project, not to mention all of the executive meddling.

> They kill Newt and Hicks

I find it more depressing this way. They can't escape from the Alien and Ripley gets herself in an even more dire situation.

> started shooting with no script

Aren't you amazed by what Fincher managed to do regardless of the shitstorm with the producers ?

The only reason people like it is that Fincher has become a really good director and Fincher fanboys can't accept he ever made a bad movie.

And yeah, there was studio meddling but i doubt the original version of this would have been much better

> implying it was Fincher's fault

You can't deny he actually did a great job on trying to reproduce the same atmosphere in Scott's Alien

I dunno, the reason Aliens worked was that it was a completely different kind of movie in the same universe. I don't see much point in a sequel that's exactly the same-but this time in a prison instead of a spaceship!

>it's a normies are too dumb to get it episode

It's not exactly the same. Fincher tried to go way further on the "sexual" atmosphere in his movie (and S. Weaver did an amazing job too). Besides he didn't cut the bonds with what Cameron did because the Alien faces the camera several times and so on

>Disgusting and depressing
IMO, greatest horror movies leave you with an uncomfortable feeling afterwards. This unintentionally or not does that and it's about a silly Alien which by the time of Aliens wasn't scary anymore. I mean, it's time to throw up all the popcorn eaten with Aliens. Also, a lot of people hate this movie because Fincher doesn't like it.

>Child dies
A good way to start a movie evry fucking time.

All the reasons listed here I guess. Personally I loved the movie I think it recaptured what Alien was about and I personally prefer it over Aliens. For a movie that went through development hell it actually came out alright.

Assembly Cut is legit better than Aliens.

Imho a good portion of the hate comes from the fact that the theatrical version sucked pretty hard, you didn't even knew were half of the character went, the alternative cut that came out later fixed this but butchered the original and much more dramatic scene of the dog feeling the pain of labor and dying to give birth to the Alien, the Ox scene just has the damn thing already dead hagging it's pretty meh.
The fact that Ripley is carrying a Queen is pretty cool and drepessing, but the fact that the Xeno won't touch her because of it is boring, it only kills characters we don't care much for (the one prisoner who had time to know dies before that)... if she wan in danger of being dragged by the Xeno and left trapped, or maybe hurt just enough so that the Queen wouldn't be in danger it would be much scarier, as if her fate was going to be worse, but nope, the one character we know and love is fine and have time to decide what to do all the time.

>They kill Newt

Good riddance.

>Cow Alien
>Super fast and agile
>Just like a cow!

Dog made more sense.

Never seen it yet

Should I do theatrical or Director's cut? Don't really want to slog through 2.5 hours if it isn't a big improvement on the theatrical

because it's actually a pretty heavy movie considering how hopeless and full of death it is, but when you actually watch it it doesn't have anywhere near the weight it should. very anticlimactic

>Update
y'ever think the fast and agile part comes from the alien half?

Aliens was a success. Aliens was a larger than life movie compared to Alien. People were expecting Alien 3 to be even bigger than Aliens. Alien 3 is released as a small horror throwback movie. This upset almost everyone. THE END.

>human Alien
>super fast and agile
>just like a human

Nah, they are all fast as fuck.

Assembly cut is a big improvement.

Is Alien 3 the first piece of Alien media to lay down the rule that Aliens take on the traits of whatever animal they pop out of?

Because that was always a load of stupid bullcrap that seemed made up just to sell the toyline (that gave us Gorilla Alien and Elephant Alien).

It's a better movie to watch nowadays than in 1992.

It wasn't a repeat of Aliens with MUH REENS and an amphibian loli, this pissed off the plebs and the newfag teens who have yet to grow into their tastes.
The worst thing to come out of it is this 'assembly cut' shit, they praise it yet it is objectively worse than the theatrical, and it's a meme that's catching on with clueless newfags whose first introduction to the Alien franchise was Prometheus.
May God strike all these faggots down where they stand, Alien 3 is a decent addition to the series and a fine send off for Ripley.

while i agree with you i must say the Ox scene is far worse than the dog scene

Hmmm

Can anyone else chime in on Assembly vs. Theatrical

Riight, because half the characters going missing for no reason in the theatrical cut is muuch better.

That was Ridley's reasoning for the alien having a vaguely humanoid appearance, newfag.

Doesn't really matter which cut you watch, the special effects on the Alien are still unforgiveably terrible.

How do you do 100% practical effects and have it come out looking like shitty early 90s CGI?

It IS shitty early 90s CGI. Most of the shots of the alien are not practical effects mate.

If you didn't type like a faggot, I'd respond to you properly.
Get fucked, lad.

Except for all those scenes Ridley shot of the Alien playing crab soccer or as an actual dog in a costume because he didn't WANT it to look vaguely human in any way, but the producers made him cut that stupid-looking shit.

Assembly better overall. Theatrical has better opening credits though.

Niice priorities.

>no reason
>there's literally a scene where they all get rekt by explosions
hmmmm

Meant for

Listen to the commentary, nigger.

Ridley also wanted to alien to learn to speak and take on Ripley's identity at the end of the film.

Ridley Scott is kind of a moron and when he doesn't have producers telling him not to do stupid shit, the end result are his two recent alien prequels.

Some artists really do need editors.

the original script was a bit too high concept for its own good (does acid even react to wood, at least, in a similarly effective way as it corroded all the metal?)

the producers were not wrong with their intent to bring the aliums towards Earth as the main threat

just more in a comptent James Cameron kind of way than whatever the fuck alternative there was

So then you agree that having the alien come out of a cow but not taking on any cow traits was a mistake and the theatrical cut fixed that by changing it to a dog.

I'm glad you could see things my way. It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong.

what's there to get? it's a boring movie that adds nothing to the franchise
I mean at least Resurrection was fun to laugh at

I don't think you have the right person, mang.
The dog alien coming out of the cow thing fiercely triggers my autism.

>having this shit opinion

>IMO, greatest horror movies leave you with an uncomfortable feeling afterwards.

So do horrible movies

Honestly, I'm just disappointed more because of what it could've been. The earlier drafts set in a sort of wooden monastery satellite rather than a prison were really intriguing, and even if the movie sucked, we could've seen this doofy motherfucker in motion.

That was because of contract disputes

David Fincher had this great movie planned out but the Jews wouldn't pay Kyle Reese. So they rewrote he story last minute and fincher disowned the film.

It's amazing that it still turned out decent, but Fincher>Scott>Cameron, it could have been pure kino

JUST

But Resurrection rocks!

>Aren't you amazed by what Fincher managed to do regardless of the shitstorm with the producers ?

No since I don't suck that dudes cock. Even he hates that movie and wants nothing to do with it

>You can't deny he actually did a great job of copying Scott's Alien

Fix'd. Amazes me that people shit on Aliens because muh lore and lol stupid alien cannonfodder

Yes, because it turns a dogshit movie into a barely mediocre movie. Love this meme

This whole thing gets confusing when people start treating movies as emotional drugs meant to make you happy and comfortable.

>hey guys, Godfather made us a decent amount of money
>we should make another one
>what if we, bear with me a minute
>what if, just a second
>what if we made the sequel
>a romantic comedy
BRILLIANT

Kek.

The whole thing was too dark, not in theme but in lighting. It was this shitty heavy handed muh AIDS allegory and it was poorly handled. It's far and away the worst of all the movies that have Xenos in them.

Alien 3 is a 50 million budget movie that looks like a 10 million one. Where did the money go?

Honestly, Covenant is the worst.

It was a puppet superimposed
It look terrible even then and all because muh dog
Should just been like the first alien but with horns like a cow and no runner shit

That was just a vision

Not even close. Covenant wasn't Alien or Aliens, but it was lightyears better than A3.

OK I watched the Oxen-burst version online yesterday, days after watching Prometheus a 2nd time. 1st 1/2 - very solid story and acting. Getting close to 'Aliens' tier-good. The doctor; Malcom X-like religious guide and prison warden = quite good along side Weaver. Timing and pacing used for dead shipmates was quite generous and considerate. The whole movie starts general decline once the Doctor is killed; at a point where we learn his backstory. Quality in the script devolves to one-line bants once Warden is killed is cafeteria. The script picks up a little with the religious guide's final "die on your knees or fighting" speech. Over wise the script goes straight B-movie downhill. Alien is mainly mis-used in the film and Weaver's interaction with it is hints of what we get with AR. The religious themes are put to a more pragmatic use in this than Prometheus which I prefer. Bottom line I felt the same after watching both pictures: an accumulation of interest which ends with apathy for the fate of characters.

Building sets and tearing them down because script rewrite of the day didn't use any of them

>Nothing happens
>Same exact fucking plot as Alien just without the mystery or effects
>Every character is a dead end, figuratively and literally
>Who even fucking cares about Ripley. Why is she here?
>Bishop II: Electric Boogaloo
>>Oh wait, nobody liked Bishop and he doesn't show up until the very end for 2 minutes anyway?

It's a dank, boring cult-mystery with a Xenomorph slapped in there for fuck all reason. It's like they made a movie, and then added the Alien shit in later.

Franchising was a mistake. Prometheus and Covenant are whatever. I mean at least they're not offensively bad like Cameron or Lynch's writing, or whatever the fuck Resurrection was supposed to be.

IMO Covenant is the most half-assed entry of the saga. Movie has great visuals and thats it. At least, with A3, it's possible to remember the characters and also has a distintive tone.

Aliens was a piece of shit that ruined almost everything good about Alien.

>It's far and away the worst of all the movies that have Xenos in them.

But AvP 2 exists.

It has one of the most unpredictable plots of the history of cinema. It took a ton of millions of dollars only in his preproduction, multiple director choices, dozens of writers. The brainstorming to make this movie was thrilling, the final result was undoubtly choice of the producers, running to make the movie that fucking year, Fox order. Fincher did a great job. The rest is just a strange mix, a millionaire mistake turnt into movie, with a bunch of cool ideas and breathtaking scenes. I think Fincher was brave enough to give it a finish to Ripley. It would be great that Blomkamp could remake this third part and take it miles away from this point (Just think the possibilities: Ripley, Hicks, Bishop and Newt waking up decades after the second one. Just damn it), Ridley should know that Alien needs irremediably Ripley. We'll always have this third bad dream.

I'm an Aliens fan so I've always held a dislike for 3. Just as many 3 fans hold a dislike for 2. But in hindsight, after all the many shit sequels, Alien 3 wasn't so bad in comparison.

It can share a beer with the first two. For sure.

I totally agree