Pantheon Cover for Providence #10

Pantheon Cover for Providence #10
Nyarlathotep is back!
That smooth motherfucker known as Johnny Carcosa!

Also, no solicit for Ennis's last Crossed story yet.

Johnny's mother too!
Last scene in a cameo appearance in #2 and #8

>PROVIDENCE #10 REGULAR CVR
>The end is near… can you feel it? All is revealed in this issue and Robert Black undergoes the most startling of transformations. Robert Black has experienced the world beneath the layer we see in our daily lives. And one cannot look into that abyss without it looking back at your very soul. Alan Moore and Jacen Burrows have created something we have never seen before. A fully realized masterpiece that embraces the true horrors of H.P. Lovecraft and delivers a one-of-a kind slow burn horror that will leave you forever scarred by its insidious nature.

Oh shit.
That theory that Robert Black is a herald of Nyarlathotep is probably right.

And, yeah, the regular cover is probably showing the tower where the Haunter of the Dark takes place.
Fuck yeah. 2 issues left and everything is going to hell.

Would Lovecraft would have liked this?

Johnny Carcosa?
Probably not. As a design he's like a Sweet Ermengarde version of Nyarlathotep.

Providence?
Probably. It's able to weave the stories together in a really coherent way, something he only alluded to through references here and there and doesn't shy from the unknowable danger tones

Whats with those deformed guys?

Maybe the deformed humans from that story about the family who bred humans as cattle?

up

Dreamscape

rats in the walls is my favorite lovecraft story to be fair

I've never read this. Is it within continuity with Neonomicon? I did read that.

It could also be Joseph Curwen from Charles Dexter Ward.

Yes.
It's both prequel and sequel.
And it's amazing

I picked up the first trade because of these threads and fucking loved it, even though I've read all the issues here already. Even though it's very exposition heavy, Moore really does use the graphic medium well (compared to say the new Black Panther ongoing, which is very word dense to the point that it overshadows the art).

Being able to read the journal entries and pamphlets without wanting to dig out my eyes was also a treat, and wished I had powered through them earlier as the issues came out, since they foreshadow a lot.

I expect the second trade to be solicited in July.
So be on the look out for that.
And the exposition is so well done because being epistolary is already such a Lovecraftian convention.

And yeah the journal entries are great, and really fill things out - especially in terms of Robert's dreams and how badly he's fucked

>sequel
I've read it and don't quite get how it's a sequel.

>very exposition heavy
But language is hypnotic and draws one in

You caught up?
Because there's stuff in the journal entries that shows how it's a sequel.

The Necronomicon states that when Chthulhu is concieved he will dream a new past that will include his conception, Providence being this "new past". Also, Robert Black meets a 8 or 9 months pregnant Merrill Brears (MC of Neonomicon) while in one of his dreams

Thanks.

Any other HP Lovecrat comics worth checking out?

I know Marvel has done some adaptations.

The Mockman Dream-Quest adaptation is apparently very good.
Gaiman's Only The End of the World again
Worlds of Lovecraft had some winners.
Dark Horse did an anthology in Codex Arcana

And Vertigo did an OGN by Giffen called "Lovecraft" that is like "what if Lovecraft had to be Randolph Carter", silly but fun.

Not quite the same but I think Lovecraft is in Planetary.

i always wanted to pick this up, does anyone have a mega link?

I can get a mediafire done up in a few minutes.
Would that work for ya?

oh wow, thanks user. that'll do nicely.

>www.mediafire.com/?ygzn483q449y2

>www.mediafire.com/?ygzn483q449y2
thanks dave.

Do you need to read Neonomicon first? I was interested in this since I've been seeing the cover(s) a lot and wanted to check it out.

I told you bro I warned you about Nyarlathotep.

So will Cthulhu's birth bring about the end of the world?

Because Providence seemed to have made a point how the supernatural just kinda lives alongside.

Fall of Cthulhu is nice.

I don't think you have to (I certainly didn't). Some things actually make more sense if you read Providence first. If you enjoy it though I think you'll end up rereading both to catch all the details that connect them.

Who are these guys sopposed to be

Shit, I had no idea this existed.

I really liked The Courtyard and Neonomicon.

I think that if you do read both its better to work in terms of publication.
That way Providence acts a capitalization of ideas from Neinomicon.

Any collected download for Neonomicon and The Courtyard?

Color Edition Courtyard or classic Black and White?

I'm fine with color. Thanks in advance!

Here you go then
>www.mediafire.com/?h7dl7b6qy4j90

>Would Lovecraft would have liked this?

HE may have liked Providence, but I seriously doubt he would enjoy The Courtyard and Neonomicon.

Those two read like fucking Weird Stories mad libs any point they start talking about aklo.

I think part of this is based in Lovecraft's view of elder magic was far more scientific and based in mathematics and high level physics than Moore's perceptual view of magic (Lovecraft actually had a breakdown in his youth related to school, likely related to his inability to master the math he'd have required to become an astronomer.)

While the end result may appear the similar the basis and mechanics end up different. Moore apparently sees magic as requiring altered perception in order to view the universe as you will it (resulting in a crazy seeming wizard, most of the rites and incantations are there to change you, not something else.) Lovecraft viewed human perceptions as insufficient in relation to high level physics interactions/truths, and thus coming into contact with them would damage your limited psyche, the end result being those sensitive individuals who dabbled in it would end up crazy... but the 'crazy' was not requisite or part of the requirement, only the result of man's weakness.

Also, the fish rape would likely be canonical, but he'd find it crass to actually depict it, it would just be an implied 'bad end' and the story would immediately shift to the male investigator or scholar following her trail later.

>HE may have liked Providence, but I seriously doubt he would enjoy The Courtyard and Neonomicon.

No doubt.
Lovecraft was all about leaving these things to the obscure parts.
Moore's whole intent with those two, at least in Neonomicon, was to bring those to the forefront and it doesn't do so at all well.
You are spot on about the "mad libs" nature. It's like Moore has a checklist of "ironic references" the characters should make and is going through them all.

Lives alongside now. The influence of the Lovecraft's creatures has never been bound by time.

The role of Bloch as an observer is actually completely fascinating here. Were these things around before him? In observing them, does he give them reality?

>While the end result may appear the similar the basis and mechanics end up different. Moore apparently sees magic as requiring altered perception in order to view the universe as you will it (resulting in a crazy seeming wizard, most of the rites and incantations are there to change you, not something else.) Lovecraft viewed human perceptions as insufficient in relation to high level physics interactions/truths, and thus coming into contact with them would damage your limited psyche, the end result being those sensitive individuals who dabbled in it would end up crazy... but the 'crazy' was not requisite or part of the requirement, only the result of man's weakness.
Those two perspectives do have a crossing point though, so I don't feel Moore's take is totally out there.

>Also, the fish rape would likely be canonical, but he'd find it crass to actually depict it
That was basically the point of Neonomicon, IMO.

TY

It's a point well versed in Providence.
Since in neonomicon there's no sense of the world or the characters beforehand outside small characteristics. So the depiction falls flat.
Here there's a huge sense of propriety instilled and it just bucks against it so much,