Between this and Ratchet and Clank, are video game movies just doomed?

Between this and Ratchet and Clank, are video game movies just doomed?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_The_First_Movie
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_The_Movie_2000
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_3:_The_Movie
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_4Ever
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Heroes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_Jirachi_Wish_Maker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_Destiny_Deoxys
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_Lucario_and_the_Mystery_of_Mew
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Ranger_and_the_Temple_of_the_Sea
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_The_Rise_of_Darkrai
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_Giratina_and_the_Sky_Warrior
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_Arceus_and_the_Jewel_of_Life
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_Zoroark:_Master_of_Illusions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_the_Movie:_Black—Victini_and_Reshiram_and_White—Victini_and_Zekrom
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_the_Movie:_Kyurem_vs._the_Sword_of_Justice
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_the_Movie:_Genesect_and_the_Legend_Awakened
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_the_Movie:_Diancie_and_the_Cocoon_of_Destruction
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_the_Movie:_Hoopa_and_the_Clash_of_Ages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo-Kai_Watch:_Tanjō_no_Himitsu_da_Nyan!
youtube.com/watch?v=ZCFlT_FYnEE
youtube.com/watch?v=9aoLxNMlxYs
youtube.com/watch?v=F_XIiLCHmxA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>video game movie fails
Must be nice to have been born after 2010 to think this is news.

Hopefully.

No, Sup Forumsirgins are born everyday.

Same for capefags

You know Food Fight? The movie that was made and largely bankrolled start to finish by amateurs outside the studio system who wanted total creative control?

This is what you get when a movie like that is finished to release standard. A forgettable movie. Studios don't make so many movies to flood out the little guy with his great one-shot, they make that many because no matter how great they are, some movies just don't sell and you end up losing a lot of money if you don't spread your bets.

Wait till Warcraft and Assassins Creed come out

See, this I have no problem failing, because it's a movie based off an old as shit mobile game. Plus it's like 6 years late to the punch.

the stories of video games are just filler to advance the player from one area to another, so they dont translate well at all to the big screen

though its kinda funny that a game with absolutely no story at all still manages to produce a shit movie

If you can't smell the putrid stink of critical and financial failure by watching the Warcraft trailers, I don't know what to tell you.

>Plus it's like 6 years late to the punch.
This is what I'm wondering about. When I was in highschool, AB was everywhere, why is it coming out now?

Screw you guys. Street Fighter is going to be an awesome movie, and Jean Claude van Dam is a total badass. And Raoul Julia as Bison? That guy's just a class act who will be making movies we'll all love for years to come.

I'll watch it to support Davd Bowie's son.

so better game

I'm watching it because orc girls are my fetish.

Sometimes. RPGs and adventure games do have a strong focus on story, but they have the opposite problem - the story is too extensive to adapt.

Isn't Nintendo making animated featured films?

are they doomed?

>we live in a world where Angry Birds got a fucking movie about 6/7 years too late
>and Minecraft got a story mode game, which will probably be made into a movie later

I can only see it ending terribly unless NoA is in charge of it.

Lightning will strike twice and they become Marvel 2.0

RPGs also usually have the luxury of being told over the course of way more than 2 hours so even if your protag is kind of a jerk there's tons of time to develop him

Dunno, this looks kinda funny. It'll probably fucking suck though.

They were waiting to see how Angry Birds and Warcraft perform.
Whether its critically, or finacially, they might not bother at this point.

Nintendo already has a very successful film franchise with one of their properties (Pokemon).

And it seems like, to kids, anything Mario, Sonic, or Pikachu do can do no wrong

last I checked Rob McElhenney was directing the Minecraft movie

Warcraft will be a C at best. Assassin's Creed is either going to be the best video game movie up to that point, or turn out to be a pile of shit.

That said, the AC trailer gave me some hope

Honestly, I can see Nintendo going stingy on the budget, they'll probably shit out low budget movies like R&C.

The Five Nights at Freddy's movie could be really good if the director wasn't so bad and they got someone who knew horror.

I still haven't heard much about that.

The Five Nights at Freddy's GAMES could be good if they had the exact same things.

Dude the audience of FNAF is primarily 5 year olds on Youtube. Of fucking course they're going to hire a director whose best work is Monster House.

is FNAF still relevant?
I remember it was only around for like a couple months before its creator decided to stop milking it

>Implying Critics aren't swatting it down because it doesn't conform to their pro-immigration liberal agenda

Warcraft is going to fucking bomb. AssCreed might have a better shot assuming they don't Prince of Persia it, which they might

Are we still pushing this meme?

I kind of liked Monster House. It was no masterpiece, or anything, but it's a nice flick to have on in the background while decorating the house for Halloween.

You do have a point about how all of the other movies that director had done is crap though. I mean that Poltergeist remake was utterly pointless.

They're swatting it down probably because a lot of their favorite actors are wasting their talents on Angry Birds. The only VA who makes sense for this garbage is Josh Gad, who's essentially just playing bird Olaf.

Video Game movies are a bad idea for one simple reason. Video games in many cases tell their stories through gameplay.

If you take away the gameplay, then you take away a major tool by which video games entertain. It's the equivalent of taking away sound and color for a modern movie. Taking away the gameplay cripples what makes a game special.

Went to "see" it yesterday.
It had some funny parts.

i still remember the first commercial i ever heard for the Mortal Kombat movie...

"Street Fighter. Super Mario Brothers. Double Dragon.
What do these movies all have in common?

THEY SUCKED
DUN-DUN-DUN-DUDUN-DU-DUN-DUN-DUDUNDUN-DUNT
PREPARE YOURSELF!

...and pretty much every video game movie since then has sucked, too.
Except for Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, that shit was TIGHT.

Well, the fact that it actually, kinda makes sense does make it amusing.

Telltale don't make video games so its more like minecraft the interactive choose your own adventure with no choices experience.

Ironically, Monster Hunter was actually pretty good, motion capture aside.

you forgot to outline all the triangles in red and reference the masonic all-seeing eye

That's pretty neat

>NoA
>not wildly incompetent

>Hunter
Fucker, if you taunt me about a monster hunter movie, I will find you.

>it's a "Sup Forums white knights for Muslims" episode

Monster House had Dan Harmon & Rob Schrab writing

>Universal Studios Japan has a MonHun exhibit

I cant wait for 2 different English versions of the same movie
American audiences cant relate to a character that spells with an "ou" after all

Assassin's Creed gives me hope solely on the fact that they're doing the smart thing: Tell the story in the same world but outside the main characters

I'm sure he needs your support at this difficult time when he's just come into at a minimum, I'd say tens of millions of dollarydoos

I mean his grief for his father is literally so great that he'll never work again if this overblown turkey of a movie doesn't have your support, because between the depression of losing a parent, which as we all know nobody in the history of humanity has ever managed, and the lack of an income, he will surely starve to death

PoP movie is thebest video game movie made for now

They fucked up with that movie the minute they included all that Abstergo shit. Even the games are ashamed of that nonsense at this point.

Prince of Persia is the best video game movie in that it is just mediocre.

That depends, did it flop in the box office?

It would have been a lot better if they had cast Kanye West as the lead.

god that fucking Kanye West song sucked. The trailer was pretty promising otherwise

It was an odd choice. That's the worst song on Yeezus. They could have used Jesus Walks. That's a more fitting Kanye song for this.

Better for all this to happen in a short span of time than over the course of years.

It's inevitable that studios would think something like this would be the next "comic book movie" fad, but it's quite clear it's going to crash n' burn hard.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_The_First_Movie

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_The_Movie_2000

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_3:_The_Movie

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_4Ever

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Heroes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_Jirachi_Wish_Maker

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_Destiny_Deoxys

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_Lucario_and_the_Mystery_of_Mew

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Ranger_and_the_Temple_of_the_Sea

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_The_Rise_of_Darkrai

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_Giratina_and_the_Sky_Warrior

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_Arceus_and_the_Jewel_of_Life

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_Zoroark:_Master_of_Illusions

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_the_Movie:_Black—Victini_and_Reshiram_and_White—Victini_and_Zekrom

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_the_Movie:_Kyurem_vs._the_Sword_of_Justice

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_the_Movie:_Genesect_and_the_Legend_Awakened

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_the_Movie:_Diancie_and_the_Cocoon_of_Destruction

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_the_Movie:_Hoopa_and_the_Clash_of_Ages

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo-Kai_Watch:_Tanjō_no_Himitsu_da_Nyan!

Is it any surprise that Sony is behind half these trainwrecks?

Like the Silent Hill and Resident Evil movie franchises haven't been all the warning signs that were needed.

>Pokemon movies
>Good
Kay

They keep focusing on making movies out of games that don't even have plots in the first place. That's a big part of the problem.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Adapt a video game with an actual plot and maybe this will be better.

Sometime I forget how big Pokemon The Movie was. It got a fucking tie in song in the late 90s back when only big blockbusters like Will Smith's Men in Black got tie in songs.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZCFlT_FYnEE

Street Fighter is, unironically, one of my favorite movies. It's the best.

That movie has one good line.

Bison: "For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

I never liked ratchet and clank, dunno why everybody has a huge boner for it.
never played angry birds because it just looks like a generic casual game.
call me when they make movies about good games

Damn, haven't heard this song in a minute.
My sisters bought the soundtrack, and I listened to it all the time.

A part of me is glad to see these pop-culture humour cartoons struggling and being unsuccessful.

VIDYA KINO XDDDXD

japs are too busy making pokemon knock off movies

Based Warcraft is going to break the curse
oh who am I kidding

Well, they're busy doing that and using Pikachu to promote the release of Straight Outta Compton

youtube.com/watch?v=9aoLxNMlxYs

I guarantee it won't get above 25% on RT.

Warcraft is so bad the developers said that it wasn't canon.

what? it actually looks pretty good and china is gonna eat it like rice, pretty sure it won't have any problem making back the money they wasted on production.
I just hope they give it more advertising, it's fucking near and still nothing outside the youtube channel trailers

>Implying YoKai Watch is a Pokemon ripoff

Top kek dude

good games can be terrible movies because their plots and stories are too simple or too complicated, what it makes a good game is the way you play and sometimes that can't be put in a movie.

welp, time to contemplate suicide again

you're wrong in my opinion

oh you poor thing

>video game
>movies
Not comics or cartoons.

Angry birds is not a video game

Seriously. That line was so far above everything in the rest of the movie.
The only other thing that comes close was
>Dee Jay:"I don't get paid enough for this."
>Zangief:"You get......paid?"

Everything else from that movie has been overwritten in my memory by the vastly superior Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie

it's not as bad as this youtube.com/watch?v=F_XIiLCHmxA

I know what you mean user. Truly, we will never see anything more glorious than 3 pikachus dancing to a Dr. Dre classic. If it doesn't get any better, what's the point of living?

Every Street Fighter movie got overwritten in my mind by "Ooohhh, Angel! Come it's the dawn of brand new day!"

Wreck it Ralph was great.
And not because it wasn't based on an actual video game, but because it had an actual story and decent writers and not just a gimmick. You can't really make a good movie out of just a gimmick. That's why Batman vs Superman failed.

Eh, it's just a modern variation of Kriss Kross doing the Rugrat Rap

Fuck the Police

what about pixels? it was good r-right?....

b-but I thought Sup Forums was always right

>Thinking Pixels was good
Are- are you Kevin James?

>that scene when Terry blew the whole top floor of the parking garage with a Power Wave
I'd put it above the Street Fighter Alpha movies, but tied with SFII:TAM. Seeing t-shirt-and-panties Chun Li do Senretsu Kyaku from Balrog's point of view was awesome.
What?
No, the guy with the claws is Balrog. Vega is the red PSYCO CRUSHAAAA guy (the boxer's name is Mike Bison).

>stop milking it

That never happened. He made 4 total jump scare games and an RPG.

Assassin's Creed is directed by the same guy as Macbeth, so I have some hope

This needs to be a banner

I thought it looked funny.

>4
Isn't there another one on the way?