JSA Storytime: Captain Atom

Good evening owls of Sup Forums,

We missed an Annual, so back to the Reagan Administration it is!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js
newsarama.com/29368-dc-s-rebirth-almost-like-a-reset-to-get-back-to-the-basics-according-to-didio-lee.html
twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/733458922019774466
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hi OP!

HI user

so what up in the world of comics today?

I don't think anything interesting happened today

I do wonder if they'll put out a preview of Geoff's Rebirth special or not

Jim and Dan pretty much confirmed that Rebith is the pre 52 with new 52 seated in it. Which is fine by me.

Sarge Steel is, of course, another Charlton character

I'm hoping to get Goyer/Johns-sort of JSA back, then. Probably minus Hector, but we might get lucky and get Rick and Jesse, right?

I'm also hoping to see ALAN MUST BE GAY dude BTFO because I want Molly and the kids

I would like Molly, Todd and Jennie back but at the same time I like homo Alan

I think it's almost certain that they'll be bringing some version of the JSA back, I just have no idea what the cast will be or what timeline they'll be working with (40s era team displaced to modern day was a BC rumor, I think?)

>I'm also hoping to see ALAN MUST BE GAY dude BTFO because I want Molly and the kids

Gay Alan was a nice idea that got repeatedly fucked over. If they're looking for a clean break with New 52 Earth 2, then bringing back the old version of Alan is probably for the best.

Hello Storyteller.

>so what up in the world of comics today?
It's over. Finally, it's over. Goblinfucker's reign has at last ended.

man I love Paquette's Wondy

Right, I was 100% down with young gay Alan, but if we're getting the whole hog back, there's something to be said for the backstory that he has with Rose/Thorn and Molly Mayne. The happily married are, I think, currently profoundly underrepresented in comics, even though I'd love to see more out'n'proud gay dudes (and women!) too.

youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

So we're missing some of the JLI Bialya backstory, but we'll get to that whenever we get to it

how cute is the Captain in that getup

>Nrama: You mentioned Geoff Johns' role in this, and I've talked to a few writers who have described the process of sitting down with Geoff for some time and discussing the stories they were writing. But is Geoff not writing anything himself for Rebirth after the DC Universe: Rebirth one-shot?

>DiDio: I thinkā€¦ you know what? As of right now, Geoff isn't writing anything. He's got a lot of other demands that have been put on him. But as you said, the good thing is that he's been directly working with the writers and working with the editorial team, and really helped spread the sensibilities we were looking for throughout the line.

>Nrama: Wow, that's probably the biggest change though, with Rebirth. DC doesn't have a Geoff Johns book. I just realized it.

>DiDio: Oh we realized it beforehand!

>Nrama: But they're all sort of infused with Geoff Johns I guess.

>Lee: Yeah he meets with the editors once a week, and we brought in writers that he sat down with for, you know, four to six hours over days, with editors and writers. And he has experience working in writers rooms, and that's very much the approach he takes with it.

>So his influence is felt across the entire line. And that is a trade-off. But at the same time, I think we have some awesome stories that speak to what makes these characters so unique and exciting.

newsarama.com/29368-dc-s-rebirth-almost-like-a-reset-to-get-back-to-the-basics-according-to-didio-lee.html

So is Johns a unofficial editor in chief?

The art was the only positive in that issue.

Why did they turn Hera into an evil bitch again? Frankly, I think the Hera-fags need to calm the hell down with how she's "da best thing ever", but even I didn't want her to revert into a generic villain.

I don't know what Finch is going to be on next, but I hope she's far away from anything I care about.

If he is, can Harras fucking leave?
Does Harras even do anything other than speak up in meetings every now and again?

He's in charge of so much shit now, makes sense.

waaaait, I didn't know Khalid met Kent on the last page of the last Dr. Fate

DON'T FUCK THIS UP LEVITZ

>So is Johns a unofficial editor in chief?
sounds like he was kind of an unofficial editor/coordinator for Rebirth

kind of a shame he put all that effort into it and now he doesn't have any time to write a book ;_;

who's gonna do that Shazam book now

Orlando tweeted today about Parobeck JSA, again

>who's gonna do that Shazam book now
it's not like he was going to do it before! he had like three years to get to it and he never did

I would not say no to an Orlando JSA

It sounds like Johns is the one doing his job at this point anyway

Orlando clearly does his homework, so yes

One thing that would be interesting and missing for quite a long time, if we get a full JSA back, could/would we get both Carter and Shiera, together? it's not like anyone's using Katar right now :(

Where is this annual supposed to have been read? So I can update my files.

>Queen Bee
Why are queens almost always evil in fiction?

This is just one more reason I like Frozen. The queen in the story isn't a sadistic asshole.

Orlando is a fag, fuck him
I dont want any more fags involved in any way with the JSA

>could/would we get both Carter and Shiera, together?
I hope so! I need more married Hawks in my life

>it's not like anyone's using Katar right now :(
yeah, the only comics he's stated to show up in any time soon is fucking Injustice (where he was utter garbage, even more so than Injustice normally is) and Scooby Doo Team-Up

where is muh Hawkman

I think there's more gay people in comics than married people.
And I'm counting the gay married people.

It came out between #24 and #25, so near the end of Invasion! I just totally missed it, my bad.

When you actually sit down and count them up, it's miserable. Marvel disappeared their longest-lasting marrieds.

The only thing using the Hawks right now is Legend of Tomorrow.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who thinks that should've been a Legion show? Time travel, huge cast... Maybe I'm projecting.

>Marvel disappeared their longest-lasting marrieds.
even their short-lasting marrieds don't last long

Were Peter Quill and Kitty even married for a year?

Man o man I am twitchy. Rained most of the day. Might go running once we're done here.

BTW I was notified that DC has been posting in full glorious HD scans:

EXTREME JUSTICE

so prepare your asses for Nate's shiny mullet

We got a Legion reference in both Flash and Supergirl, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something develop in the future.

Jeckie wasn't evil

Oh goodness are we going to be doing that for a storytime thread eventually?

They're broken up already? Goddamn

we sure are, because we're going to do an overview of "how Captain Atom got fucked over after this run"

lol, why/how did they break up?

I don't know how or why they broke up, I read the last issue of Star-lord on a whim and they were doing stereotypical angry breakup stuff and yelling at each other

Soon?

True. Though Threeboot Jeckie was. Ugh.

Both Alan Scotts fuck it, we can have 2 Wallys

With everything on CW and Johns in charge its only a matter of time for LOSH on TV.

There was a Hellcat preview with Jessica Jones and I was sadden that'll probably be the best Jess we've had in awhile. and I like Leth and Hellcat

Speaking of JSA i wanna throw down the bet of real Jay Garrick showing on Legends of Tomorrow tonight/the finale

>I can't believe comixology put up Extreme Justice. The Star Sapphire demon pregnancy arc in crisp clear high definition.

I'm so excite, with that ridiculous art in HD

remember how nice it was that Jared and his ex-wife weren't horrible to each other?

Okay, both Alans is fine, and young Alan can be gay and old Alan can be married with kids

>dat silver fox

Double Alans would make the JSA old guard/young guard team stuff hella literal.

hooo boy

With the way the CW shows are trending I don't know if I even want the Legion on there. Only benefit would be hoping they get a book due to synergy I guess.

FACEPALM

bro. bro bro bro.

>how fast that meme wore thin

>With everything on CW and Johns in charge its only a matter of time for LOSH on TV.
As long as it's not serialized. Given how large the cast would be, episodic anthology is the best way to go.

>Remember how nice it was that Jared and his ex-wife weren't horrible to each other?
It was one of the things that made FATE charming.

>Both Alan Scotts fuck it, we can have 2 Wallys
Would it be too weird if Obsidian and Gay Alan got together, or just weird enough?

>As long as it's not serialized. Given how large the cast would be, episodic anthology is the best way to go.

It sounds like Legends season 2 is going to stick to shorter story arcs, so hopefully they've learned their lesson.

Why ask a question you already know the answer to?

this hits the Jeff and Peggy stuff at a much earlier point than we'd gotten to, so sorry about missing its proper placing

that'd be pretty /d/

>I'm so excite, with that ridiculous art in HD
It's so... beautiful.

not fast enough

I think that's a little too much user

Oh dear

sweet jesus

...anyone got links so I can go ahead and get ready?

if there's not a Legion show and new Star Trek is a hit DC is just leaving money on the table

HE LOVES YOU

I went looking and sadly one of the otherwise in-depth DC in the 80s tumblrs has nothing at all to say about this run

It's nice that Queen Bee isn't generically attractive.

That's another thing I miss about older comics, is that occasionally you'd get a female character who had a different face from the others.

SPINES.

I don't know how that thong got past the Comics Code Authority.

Torrents were dead so I had to get them from here.
comix4free.com/2016/05/19/extreme-justice-1994/

Those fucking spines man
And the thong

it was the 90s, they were a very special time

also, I think I've read this idfic before

why did this female body type get so popular in the 90s? it's hideous

and dat ridiculous thong

DC already fucked up by not doing a Legion thing after seeing how absurdly successful GotG was. Should've tried to get in on that delicious space money. But then, DC has always neglected their cosmic stuff. If it's not Green Lantern, they don't care. Of course, since Vendetti is still on GL, I guess they don't care about that either.

I remember how blood was okay, but coloring it red wasn't, so everyone was dripping either mud or motor oil.

>who's gonna do that Shazam book now

Parker, obviously.

Okay, we're not close to there yet, anyways. But I'll get started.

It makes some otherwise fine comics hard to read

man, he's going to be so fucking mad later

16 out of 18

>DC already fucked up by not doing a Legion thing after seeing how absurdly successful GotG was
apparently they weren't interested in riding GOTG's coattails, since they told King they didn't want his GOTG knockoff Omega Men pitch

and yeah I think DC caring about GL is on the backburner for now, maybe when 2020 gets closer they'll give a shit again

I'm okay with this

King tried doing GOTG with Omega Men but DC was like wtf are you doing

So I doubt they care about space shit right now

Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman are probably what they care about more. Maybe Flash.

here we go

This has to be one of the more interesting ways of incorporating obseleted backhistory into a new run.

>Why did this female body type get so popular in the 90s? it's hideous
1) Liefeld.
2) This is what happens when a species obsessed with sex, in a global society that put an absurd amount of pressure on the female gender to look and act a certain way, in a country founded on Puritan beliefs, tries to promote sexual liberation for the shallow reasons of getting their rocks off.

The absurdist caricature becomes the accepted norm and is perceived as standard.

twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/733458922019774466

Calm down cranky. Your fedora is gonna fall off from all that tipping.

I am curious to read the special

oh lordy

HA! that's an amazing smugface on Nate

I can't think of anything that would really shock me. Like watch it be the "Wally comes back and kills Barry" thing that Sup Forums keeps memeing about.

ded Stargirl would shock me

And now a backup in which Captain Atom is Kool-Aid Man

Or Stargirl kills Wally.

Stargirl impales Wally from behind with the cosmic staff, then makes out with Superboy Prime

The only thing shocking would be if they published something worth reading

With Alan Scott watching from the shadows.

But... it's true. Look, I know you fucks don't like me, but am I just not allowed to say ANYTHING anymore?

>smarmy alpha bitch
>still actually cares about her people
Is it weird that I kinda like Queen Bee?

It'll probabl be worth the 3 bucks

Sure, enjoy your dead waifu

HUSH, YOU