What's the deal with Americans and naming things/activities names that are extremely unconventional?

What's the deal with Americans and naming things/activities names that are extremely unconventional?
At the moment I've forgotten the proper example, I'm sorry for the inconvenience,
>elbow grease
>>football
>calling autumn fall
>being "blue"
There have been some times, when I google what they call something ordinary and I get really weird results; or you know, I get what the word actually means and not what they use it for. I don't remember what word/phrase it was now. But it sure was retarded.
"Take-out" is one.

"Elbow grease" is just an allusion to any sort of joint. I imagine plenty of languages use similar idioms, possibly "knee grease" or "ankle lube" or something like that.

Back when "football" and "soccer" became normal words in America, what most of the world now calls "football" was called "Association Football", and the "soc" part of "association" is what made "soccer". I think we use "football" the way we do because an American football is about one foot long.

Brits also used to call autumn "fall" as well until they started LARPing as Romance speakers.

Not sure where "blue" as in "sad" comes from.

Does Swedish not use idioms?

>Back when "football" and "soccer" became normal words in America, what most of the world now calls "football" was called "Association Football", and the "soc" part of "association" is what made "soccer". I think we use "football" the way we do because an American football is about one foot long
wrong football used to describe any sport that players play on their feet and not on horses , and there were all kind of football sports, there was rugby football , association footbal , Gridiron football
football.... in the uk associtation football was the most popular so the world association got dropped while in america gridiron football was the most popular so Gridiron got dropped

>>calling autumn fall
WHAT HAPPENS IN AUTUMN SWEDEFRIEND!?

>being blue
means being drunk in german

Excuse me but did anybody ask your your input sweety?

Call me sweetie one more time and I will track down your family and kill every single one of them

>ask your your
Amerimutt can't even use his own language properly.
Let me guess, hispanic?

Must just be your perspective. I’ve generally thought the Brits name things more silly than us.

>Telly
>Loo
>Bum Bag
>Candy Floss
>Pillar Box
>Bog Roll
>Nappy
>Willy

And then their town/city/district names are even more ridiculous
>Scratchy Bottom
>Minge Lane
>Upton Snodsbury
>Nottinghamperspicalbrick-Cornelius Chauncey III Bravemire Nigelstown PissoffFrenchcuntshire

Mad nerd detected
Keep following the rules you vegetable

Whatever you sweety

>I’ve generally thought the Brits name things more silly than us.
You understand, obviously, that we think the same about you right?
As you said must just be your perspective.

No no no you don't get off that easily your slang and shit is downright borderline homosexual

>your slang and shit is downright borderline homosexual
Again, we think the exact same thing about your attempts at slang.

uhhhh an american created this site... you can just logoff right now if you dont like us.

Non-native speakers always think the same sort of thing about any language or dialect they're learning

This might blow your mind but I'm a natural English speaker and your shit sounds gay

One of the most popular green texts ever produced from this website is a British guy saying the British equivalent of American slang

The main thing that I just find funny is Brits obsession with nicknaming things by adding a -y at the end like how a child names things like “my blanky, teddy, mommy, daddy, bally”. You shorten stuff like football to footy and television to telly.

Americans view Brits naming conventions as juvenile and cute, where as American terms that foreigners find baffling are less seen as “cute” and more seen as nonsensical or backwards.

>This might blow your mind but I'm a natural English speaker and your shit sounds gay
This might blow your mind but I'm a natural English speaker and your shit sounds gay.

>>elbow grease
put hard work into something
>>football
because the ball is a foot long
>>calling autumn fall
leaves fall of trees. "fall"
>>being "blue"
depressed or sad.

what is wrong with these? nothing.

Australians and Kiwis do it too, it's only you guys that don't.
It is strange, now that you mention it. I hadn't thought about that before.

Ummm... sorry but you're wrong sweetie ;)

>blankie, mommy, and daddy
All used commonly in the USA
>teddy
Called that because of American president Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
>footy and telly
Indefencible, although "boob tube" and "B-ball" aren't any less juvenile

>All used commonly in the USA

Children generally stop calling their parents “mommy” and “daddy” in the US around the age of 10 (At least boys do, girls might still call them that) and start referring to them instead as “Mom, dad, or pops” when they’re directly speaking to them and “Mother and Father” when referring to them in a 3rd person context. Same for Blanket instead of blanky.

There isn’t a more formal term for Teddy Bear, so that stays the same.

British men generally also stop saying mummy and daddy after childhood

Trees don't litter leaves all over the place on autumn all across the world.