Does anyone else feel that the ending of this show is a tad bit overrated...

Does anyone else feel that the ending of this show is a tad bit overrated? I feel like nothing is really "gained" from the last 2 episodes, the show just continues too reiterate shit we've known for a long time. Tony is never going to change, Carmella is never going to change, Jancie will be alone forever, all the mobsters are inevitably going to get whacked. We get it. We've known this for several seasons now.

The one scene that really struck me in the last episodes was when Tony visits Jr for the last time and Jr says "We use to play catch right?" That scene really struck a chord and really drove home just how much everything has decayed. Besides that, I felt like the show could've ended with the peyote episode desu.

What am I missing here? Everyone else seems to believe the final episode is flawless

paulie would never get whacked

it is flawless, you are just being contrarian

anything past s3 is shit

People still constantly fucking talk about it right? That means it was a huge success

No, I just gave my honest feelings and asked for other perspectives about why it's supposedly "flawless". Since you cant give any actual reasoning, I assume youre just saying its flawless because thats the opinion youre supposed to have

Why the fuck wouldn't he? He's a grade A annoying asshole who steps on everyones toes, and since Tony CLEARLY died [even if you don't believe that like a fucking retard, it doesn't matter], he wouldn't be under his respected protection.

Within the context of the show, Paulie would have gotten smoked eventually,.

Plus fuck him for murdering that innocent waiter in cold blood.

Where did I say its not a success? I said i think its overrated, but Im open to hear why its not.

that's not what i meant. he's too paranoid for someone to get the jump on him

>even if you don't believe that like a fucking retard
I guess David Chase is a retard huh?

Isnt it kind of ironic, that the guy who's trying to force the mysterious/ ambigious ending of a show thats deliberately mysterious and open for interpretation to have one meaning, is calling someone else a retard?

>user says part of a show is "a tad bit overrated"
>Sup Forums shits their pants
>"NO user ITS LITERALLY FLAWLESS!"
>"but why is it flawless?"
>no one can explain
Typical fucking Sup Forums pseuds. I fucking hate this board

the ending was as mysterious as madonnas twat

EVERYONE SAW IT COMING

Chase ended up admitting in an interview that Tony died. If you have a couple brain cells to rub together, you don't need him to though since it's obvious from the way the scene is shot, the credits and the foreshadowing in the episodes leading up to the finale. How are we still discussing this like twenty years after it aired? Are people so daft? And before you ask, no, I will not link sources. Google them and educate yourself, philistine.

>I feel like nothing is really "gained" from the last 2 episodes

There's a lot of filler in the entire show imo, the plots, events and acting more than made it up for me though. I guess the final episode is just about inevitability. We think of Tony as powerful and invincible, then in one micro instant without warning he's shot in the back of the head and dead. Story over. How better to do it?

You missed the whole point of the show. Whether or not Tony dies at that moment doesn't matter, nothings ever going to change, Tonys life is just going to be the same shit, the same patterns, over and over until that inevitable moment comes. Hes never going to change, so when he dies is irrelevant.

Even David Chase says he doesnt believe Tony dies in the end. Youre trying to turn an incredibly complex and interpretative show into nothing more than a gotch-ya ending

One guy said that. Why are you getting so triggered?

>Chase ended up admitting in an interview that Tony died
He said the literal opposite you fucking idiot

See Im quite aware of the hints towards Tonys death, but those were left for one interpretation of the ending.

>Does anyone else feel that the ending of this show is a tad bit overrated?

It certainly isn't the masterpiece of flawless writing Sup Forums makes it out to be. Pic related, remember that time Paulie was haunted by night terrors over the people he has killed and how he showed warmth towards his gf and her kids? This was s2, by the end of the show he is a borderline caricature.

>People still constantly fucking talk about it right? That means it was a huge success

>“Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point.” - David Chase

Hmm, really makes me think. Maybe Breaking Bad is a little more your pace my friend

Agreed, for me the characters and subtle interaction are the strongest element of the show, not necessarily the script. The silent scene of Tony having a cigar on the street with a FBI investigator sticks in my mind, that alone shows a lot about the carefree and streetwise world these guys live in.

>but those were left for one interpretation of the ending
why make the cut to black so abrupt then

surely they could have come up with something more ambiguous

>something more ambiguous than a hard cut to black in the middle of a scene in which nothing is actually happening
Really stimulates my neurons

I disagree, I think Paulie's most emotional point in the series is when he reluctantly forgives Nucci for lying to him for so many years. He always felt like a human being first to me, a mobster caricature second

WELL THANK GOD YOURE HERE TO TELL ME THE POINT OF THE SHOW

eat cunt you virgin waste of space

youre everything thats wrong with tv
your subject interpretation is just as subjective as everyone elses but there you are attempting to tell others what a tv show means.. are you a chink?

>out of arguments: the post

I HAVE 1 WORD

1 WORD TO DESCRIBE THE SOPRANOS

>MASTERPIECE

>your subject interpretation is just as subjective as everyone elses but there you are attempting to tell others what a tv show means.
So nothing has a meaning and all interpretations are equally valid? Are you in fucking highschool?

This is a nigger tier show for low iq niggers.

there's more to it though

can't be bothered to study it again but there are references to the gunman's jacket involving shooting, quite a few in fact. he walks directly behind tony and you hear him return right before the final camera shot, unseen. why add this stuff? the only reasoning behind him surviving and it being a coincidence comes solely from the director's mouth.

never mind the obvious that an instant cut is highly symbolic of instant death/nothingness. i'm open to it being up for interpretation, but not with the way they directed it

>>WE'LL NEVER ATTEND EVEN A STATE COLLEGE

Remember its "You want fries with that.."

>baby just read Derrida in his phil101 community college course and now thinks he an intellectual
Adorbs

>never mind the obvious that an instant cut is highly symbolic of instant death/nothingness
But the afterlife and supernatural exists on the sopranos. Tony goes to purgatory. Christopher visits hell. Pussy appears in a mirror. Paulie goes to a psychic who can actually talk to the dead. The cat in the last episode is oddly obssesed with Chris' picture.

>he walks directly behind tony
He goes to the bathroom

>you can hear him return
No you cant

>overrated

You stupid fuck. The only place that it is even favorably rated is here, and some stray reviewers.

Sopranos got so much flak and shit for how they ended the show, seriously you ask any normal show watcher and they'll say

>"oh that show that cuts mid sentence?"

>>>“Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point.” - David Chase
so what is the point then?

>You stupid fuck. The only place that it is even favorably rated is here, and some stray reviewers
No, its pretty much universally acclaimed. It has a 9/10 on imdb and almost all the reviews that come up on google are glowing

>enjoy the small things

>The only place that it is even favorably rated is here

What? Widely considered one of the best shows of all time.

The show is acclaimed, but the finale gets a lot of hate for how they ended it. Sure reviewers say the finale is good too, but that doesn't mean its OVERRATED.

Overrated is Breaking Bad, where its universally loved by everyone, watchers and reviewers, despite the flaws. People still bitch and moan about the cut to black.

Gabagool is bad for you

>People still bitch and moan about the cut to black

Which I never understood, particularly when they've just killed off nearly every main character. Both mobs, the rivalry, income, lifestyle, it's all gone anyway. I so think Tony was killed, but ultimately it makes no difference, his life is over.

>I so think Tony was killed, but ultimately it makes no difference, his life is over
The only not retarded person in the thread. This person actually gets it

>HE TALKED TO YOU! OH, POOR YOU!

>HE MADE ME FEEL LIKE I MATTERED!

>You know, you asked me the other day what Irena's cousin has that you don't have, and I thought about it 'cause it's a pretty good fuckin' question. I can converse with her, 'CAUSE SHE HAD SOMETHING TO SAY!

>I AM *HERE*! *I* HAVE THINGS TO SAY!

>BESIDES "BRING THE FUCKING CHAIRS DOWN" AND "DID YOU SIGN THE LIVING TRUST?"! SHE'S A GROWN FUCKING WOMAN, AND SHE'S BEEN KICKED AROUND, AND SHE'S BEEN ON HER OWN, AND SHE'S HAD A TO FIGHT, AND STRUGGLE!

>Unlike me, is that it? WHO THE FUCK WANTED IT LIKE THIS? WHO THE FUCK PISSED AND MOANED AT JUST THE *IDEA* OF ME WITH A A FUCKING REAL ESTATE LICENSE?!

>FREE TO SIT BACK FOR TWENTY FUCKING YEARS, AND FIDDLE WITH THE AIR CONDITIONING, AND FUCKING BITCH AND COMPLAIN, AND FUCKING BITCH, BITCH, BITCH, TO ME
TO YOUR PRIEST! FUCK IT!

This is, in my opinion, the most raw and believable fight between a married couple that I've ever seen in any media. It's so real that you almost forget that you're watching a show and not watching actual people in real life. It's one of my favorite scenes in the show.

So who killed tony anyways? Werent all his enemies dead at that point?

Every character changed, some slightly, others a lot. This is a show with some of the best dialog and character building in all of television, there's no wasted scenes or interactions, they all build up to something and even so every episode is an amazing work by itself. I've rewatched the whole thing several times and there are still details to catch on, the characters are amazingly written and most well acted, and on top of it, realistic.
It's not a flawless show, there are plot lines that simply die midway and recurring issues that are seemingly unavoidable, but Sopranos still deserves praise for its unbelievable achievements as a television show that ran for 6 seasons.

>Silvio tells Tony he didn't know what happened until after the gun was fired when his friend his shot next to him
>Bobby tells Tony that you don't even hear it when it happens
>Phil is shot from the side right in front of his family who don't react until seconds after the shot
>The first episode of the show begins with a POV shot of Tony
>Tony was the last member of the NJ crew and NY might've wanted him dead

If the ending was about Tony lives and it doesn't matter then it would've faded to black rather than a rapid cut to black with absolutely no music
That alone is a huge indication that he was in fact shot by the Members only Jacket guy

None of the characters changed, except for tony's kids.

My best guess is either Patsy for revenge after Tony killed his brother or the New York crew wanted the New Jersey crew gone since Tony and Paulie are the only ones left

If he was killed, it was probably ordered by an offscreen major family. Tony's mob was small, with everyone dead the entire mafia would want to make sure the last was silenced. Most likely theory anyway.

>If the ending was about Tony lives and it doesn't matter then it would've faded to black rather than a rapid cut to black with absolutely no music
Not necessarily. I think the member only jacket guy probably tried to kill tony, but whether or not he was successful doesnt really matter. Like another user said, his life was over anyways. Maybe tony fought the guy off and managed to live another 50 years, what would it matter? Tony has destroyed all who are close to him and his empire has crumbled. He's never going to "see the light" and change his ways, he's in a perpetual spiral downwards

Blue Comet is one f the best episodes in television.

You need to understand that knowing whats taking place doesnt minimize it occurring. You could tell from season two that Tony and his crew were fucked. he is constantly making it worse. Thats the point of the show.

You have to watch it until his inevitable death. Its the degradation of honor, society, life, America.

Season 1 his son is meaningless to him, all the way until the end. Thats the best signifier for the writer's motif. AJ and Meadow's differences with Tony. Pay attention man...

All important characters changed. You fail to notice the changes because they're either characters that are not meant to develop much or are at the end of their storyline.

Not true, Tony became more and more heinous and irredeemable as the show went on. Sure he was always a bad guy, but theres parts in Season 6 where he's indiscernible from his mother. By the end of the show he's pretty much a completely empty sociopath whos given up hope and just wants to drag everyone down with him (except perhaps his kids)

>getting in a car with tony's #2 and personal hitman after co-operating with police
>adriana

She was dumb. That was her character flaw. I actually really liked her and think she was well intentioned. But fuck was she gullible

After my most recent rewatch I have come to determine that not only is season 2 the best season, it's possibly the finest season of anything ever made, it's just brilliant.

To be fair she and many didn't know he was direct #2 I bet. Johnny, new york and shit would. His locals. The vast majority? No. Why the fuck would she?

Personally the finale scene ties in with the scene about ducks in the pool during the first episode of the series. Tony starts crying when they leave the pool because he was afraid he might lose his family because of his mob life.
The ending with him, Carmela and AJ enjoying a rare happy moment was about to be complete when Meadow was about to join in but he is killed before she could get there which ultimately signifies his worst nightmare that his family would never be together again

Chase is a crafty fucker

yeah it was what, a potential couple of years max sentence?

though to be fair I don't recall her being aware of much of what the mafia were about, let alone how brutal they are to snitches

>yeah it was what, a potential couple of years max sentence
It was a minor drug charge, but if I remember correctly, the FBI lied and told her she could be charged with intent to sell which has a much harsher sentence

my parents fought too senpai

How the fuck are you going to 'end' the story in The Sopranos? You can end the show by killing Tony, and prosecuting every last mob figure in the show to wrap it up with zero loose ends. I always thought it was meant to be like a portrayal of just one period of Tony's life up until that end. Its a good ending because there's just enough ambiguity that its both plausible that Tony is still alive in the next frames, or he gets whacked by that guy as he comes out of the toilets.

Basically everyone did you moron. Tony was still the same impulsive, sociopathic and aggressive guy, but they all went through significant changes.

I loved season 2 but I hated Richie and his annoying voice.

Im rewatching and I like everything past ralphie and including him more than the previous.

>How the fuck are you going to 'end' the story in The Sopranos?
OP here. My problem wasnt with the ending, my problem was more just that I felt like there werent any real "wow" moments in the last 2 episodes besides tony talking to Jr. It just felt like going through the motions

what is your point? it doesn't having some important message at the end so it's overrated?

Im not looking for any important message. It just felt anti-climatic is all. Just felt like 2 more generic episodes of the show

Stop this shit.

It doesn't matter whether he gets killed or not at the end. What matters is that for Tony Soprano and his family, going out to eat at a restaurant is perceived as a life or death situation by the viewer.

The final scene is not the culmination of the series, but rather the calling back to the thesis.

Ralph didn't make much sense, complete fucking psychopath but would behave perfectly normal most of the time, came off a bit forced. Tony etc. at least had a reason for whatever horrible shit they were doing at the time.

Was glad when he finally got offed.

Him killing Christopher threw me for a loop.

Then Melfi started figuring out that Tony was nothing but a sociopath the whole time, using her, and it all really did fit together.

I wanted him dead, and that's why that final scene is so intense.

That quick dream sequence hit me hard, man. I couldn't give a single fuck about Tony killing his cousin, but I could see myself as Adriana. I could see myself doing everything wrong and ending up in that car, knowing I have nothing but my death awaiting me, struggling at the end, fighting for some way out and knowing it ain't coming.

Im not sure if he was a straight up sociopath. I feel like the show was asking us to decide for ourselves if he was really an empty sociopath or just a very bad person. True he used Melfi to justify some of his crimes, but on the other hand he shared his genuine emotions and had some real insights.

You can show emotion and insightful and still be a sociopath.

With the killing of Christopher and his reaction to his son trying to kill himself, it became clear that he was a sociopath. Those around him didn't matter to him. What mattered was how he was perceived by others.

>his reaction to his son trying to kill himself
Didnt he cradle him and pet his head literally saying "everything is going to be alright baby"?

Doesnt sound very sociopathic to me

that's why the sopranos is so good. you start to forget he's a cold blooded criminal and murderer and see things from his perspective. tony soprano isn't stupid or crazy, he's just completely desensitised to his actions. no other mafia movie or tv series has the same amount of character depth right down to his personal life and family.

Butchie for the honor of the Lupertazzi family after the way its old boss (Phil) was killed with his head splattered in front of his family.

That or Patsy but not likely, he was gonna get into T's family thru his son.

Yup, and its understanding of psychology is brilliant. Its the only show Ive ever seen in which the people feel truly "real".

>OH SHIT!
>*vomits*
I cant stop laughing at this. Am I a sociopath?

Will he ever get the spinoff he deserves?

DR. HOUSER
I'M WALNUTS

He's a big guy

no, his name is clarence

SURVIVE THIS

UP IN DA CLUB

You godd'a been on yo hat!

>Muh Christophaaaa!

Are we just gonna forget Chris literally killed a guy in cold blood the episode before?

he had it coming

Its not that we should feel bad for christopher, chrissy was a pos. The point is that Tony was looking for any excuse to kill chrissy for a while, and he killed him for purely selfish reasons (the babyseat was just an excuse). Tony felt 0 remorse or guilt for killing him. It was the ultimate act that showed Tony was gone emotionally.

/our girl/

that killing was completely justified, Chris was a huge liability for being a stupid junkie that could flip any moment for a nickel bag of white powder. He knew waaay too much secrets about T, and also because he was a risk to his family (both of them)

>implying thats why Tony killed him
Tony killed him because Tony is totally detached. He stopped trying to support Christopher a long time ago. He couldve made chris a better person, but instead hen deliberately chose to make life as hard as possible for chris and to bully him. Tony forced chris to rehab and then mocked him for being sober.

Tony was jealous that chris was actually becoming happy and better, and chris sleeping with that girl that tony had a crush on set tony over the edge. The carseat was simply something Tony could use to justify the killing to himself (hence why he keeps telling everyone about it in hopes that they will morn less)

The reason its not "overrated" is because the terms overrated and underrated are completely fucking retarded.

They serve to weigh the value of people's opinions, rather than the content itself.

who would win, tony and his crew or avon and stringer and their crew?

It'd be close - the Soprano Family has the political connections to really fuck them over by putting pressure on the police, etc. But Avon's gang is bigger with way more expendable hit-men, so they'd have an advantage in the short term.

Imma give it to the Sopranos, though, they just have more resources and smarter ways to use them.

It would have been better if he actually died. There is literally no reason for the ambiguity and it adds nothing to the show.

Why so you guys like the fighting so much? It makes me uncomfortable