Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xS027mYtRu8
youtube.com/watch?v=yMF6-6Zvq8M
youtube.com/watch?v=QExDCEiYP7I
newsarama.com/1987-ani-shorts-craig-mccracken-2-ppg-foster-s-and-comics.html
youtube.com/channel/UCcMDMoNu66_1Hwi5-MeiQgw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Japan

Wasn't it because PPG wasn't allowed to be shown in Japan so they made their own.

Sort of like America making their own Sailor Moon series (which looked so fucking ugly), in the end both countries got the originals anyway.

The original series was very popular. Japan wanted more, so they made it happen. It's pretty terrible, but still better than the new series.

There's a completely western animated Sailor Moon?

I had no idea such thing existed.

It never aired, but yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=xS027mYtRu8

>Wasn't it because PPG wasn't allowed to be shown in Japan so they made their own.

That's a misunderstanding.

Japanese broadcast networks have rules about how much time foreign-produced shows can have on the schedule. They want to save most of their timeslots for domestically produced stuff, so very few foreign shows are aired on Japanese broadcast networks (and usually it's just Hollywood movies).

The American PPG aired on satellite and was very popular, but not a lot of people in Japan have satellite. The only way it would ever get on a broadcast network (TV Tokyo) was if there was a version produced in Japan. So Japan made their own version (and it was shit).

Canada has similar laws about not airing programs in their country unless X% was produced in Canada by Canadian labor. It's why a lot of American shows are arbitrarily filmed in Canada or American cartoons will randomly include all-Canadian voice actors. It's the only way to get the show broadcast in Canada.

>Wasn't it because PPG wasn't allowed to be shown in Japan so they made their own.
Where did you hear that? That's untrue. Powerpuff Girls aired on TV Tokyo back in the late 90's/early 00's:
youtube.com/watch?v=yMF6-6Zvq8M

It was one of the few western cartoons to get a primetime slot on Japanese broadcast television during the 90's, and like said, it was VERY well-received. Through a combination of that popularity, the resurgence of magical girl anime during the mid-00's thanks to Pretty Cure, and anime doing very well in general on CN in the US (there were intentions to air PPGZ in the west), they decided to do an anime project.

Better than what we're getting today. That is an objective fact.

Holy hell.

Such a weird concept.

How could that get to air without anyone noticing first?

They should have tried to emulate the comedy and gags from the original in the anime version.

Would have made for a more interesting show. I'm 6 episodes into PPGZ and it comes off as a generic magical school girl anime where you get one PPG villain appearing every-now and then to get beaten up by the girls.

This second half of this episode was pretty good in introducing Princess.

The boys wear skirts in the Japanese series?

The style looks really nice actually. A shame it's so generic and bland.

boys dress like girls all the time in Japan and ever Tuesday there are rape festivals

It pretty much is (Generic mahou shoujo anime). Every time I try to watch it I can never finish the whole thing, but Mojojojo is fucking gold in it.

Why the fuck did they make an anime Lilo & Stitch while we're at it?

I mean, yeah no.
How the hell does this shit happen?

Japan fucking LOVES Stitch.

Too bad they don't care much about Lilo, I wanted more por... I mean, fanart.

Loli.
Duh.

That's magic leash!

>Professor has a son

What the fuck is this jap shit?

>The original series was very popular. Japan wanted more, so they made it happen. It's pretty terrible, but still better than the new series.

The reverse actually happened too for shows like Big O. The second season happened entirely because America loved it.

Wow that kind of fucks up the whole subtext of the original series. If he has a son why would he want to create daughters? It's like if the Professor who created Astroboy son didn't die but he made Astroboy anyways.

But lol anime magical girl shit who cares.

At least it had neat looks for pretty much everyone

I don't even think the girls were related or created in the anime

From the Wikipedia article
>The series takes place in New Townsville (Tokyo City in the original Japanese version). In order to stop an ecological disaster, Professor Utonium's son, Ken Kitzawa Utonium, uses Chemical Z, a new form of the Professor's original substance, Chemical X, to destroy a giant glacier. However, the impact of Chemical Z causes several black and white rays of light to appear in the skies above New Townsville. Three ordinary girls, Momoko, Miyako, and Kaoru, are engulfed in white lights and become Hyper Blossom, Rolling Bubbles, and Powered Buttercup, respectively. However, the numerous black lights cause others to turn to the side of evil, so the Powerpuff Girls Z must use their super powers to protect New Townsville from villains such as Mojo Jojo, Fuzzy Lumpkins, Him among other villains.

What a piece of shit

It's like making Superman a human who got radiated from a space capsule

completely disgrace to the original

Craig actually instructed the Japanese staff that his only request was for the anime to be as different from the cartoon as possible

Well, that's not entirely true. The show almost didn't even have the Professor, and though they wanted to age up the girls, he had to say that they couldn't make it too sexual.

Good way to make sure your version stays the good version tbqh familia

Still better than new one what we got

True

i know user....i know

Free balling.

That's actually a really smart move. If someone's adapting your work & you don't get much creative control over it, just tell them to go hog wild with their fresh new vision instead of doing a watered-down version of your ideas.

I just read about Frank Tashlin getting really upset & frustrated with Chuck Jones' adaptation of "The Bear Who Wasn't," so Craig's approach here really strikes home.

Why didn't they just make him Dexter. Just keep those glasses on and give him orange hair.
I think new FLCL is happening this way too.

>I think new FLCL is happening this way too.
Don't think, it IS happening. Two seasons to be exact.

[citation needed]

Lilo is a Hawaiian, which is like a dirty traitor foreigner to Japan.

What? Japanese people ADORE Hawaii. I know multiple couples who live there full time, and even more families go there for seasonal vacations.

Hawaii, not native Hawaiians.

Who likes native Hawaiians?

And this right here, is what I hate. "Muh original".
Fuck off. You have your opinion, but McCracken didn't make this show, and Japan has their way of doing things, providing Z isn't a canonical sequel of the original. While, nuPPG, is. Trying to, at least. Which made nu suck so bad, among other things wrong with it. PPGZ is it's own thing, and should be seen as such to really appreciate it. It's different. It makes something "familiar", doing it in a different viewpoint. It's basically, a spinoff. And somehow, people get's anal about a spinoff being not like the original 1 to 1. Why is Mario this prime example of "golden" when he does that? Practically every other thing period doesn't get this pass, it's "muh classic" or it's shit.
As I may like PPGZ for what it is, fun, cute, and charming of something I'm familiar with, I still much prefer PPG, action packed, funny, and overall badass. But I don't hate PPGZ just because "not muh original", because it's NOT trying to. nuPPG is a piece of shit that actively shits on the classic, PPGZ is far above it in every way possible, as is.

In terms of Japanese spin offs, I'm personally fond of Ed, Edd n Eddy Z where the characters are mercenaries. I know a lot of people don't like it and it has problems but they shit they come up with in fights are legitimately creative, the designs are cool and some of the humor is pretty close to how it is in the original.

but still better than the new series

I've been hearing a lot about this lately.
How exactly did they fuck up the new show?
(Interested because I watched the original back in the day.)

Besides the fuck ton of animation errors everything else wrong with it is perfectly explained in this video.

youtube.com/watch?v=QExDCEiYP7I

Nah, they just stole the girls clothes from the laundry in that episode and then ran around town framing them for various acts of mischief.

Mostly, they forgot to make it funny. They also tend to portray everything way out of character, as if they took some random show and just tried to make it look like that unrelated show was powerpuff.

1/2
Source: newsarama.com/1987-ani-shorts-craig-mccracken-2-ppg-foster-s-and-comics.html

NRAMA: One last thing. There’s this show in Japan called Damashita! Power Puff Girls Z. What is your involvement in that?

CM: That got pitched to me a few years ago. What happened is in Japan they wouldn’t air our version of Powerpuff Girls on their network television because it wasn’t produced in an Asian country. At the same time, the Girls were airing on satellite TV over there and it was a hit. So a lot of the broadcasters were coming to us saying this could be a real profit center for us, but for us to get it on TV Tokyo or any other network, we would have to produce it here. So we would like to produce an anime version of the Puffs. What do you think about that?

So I thought, well, Batman has been reinterpreted about a million times, and they are all viable versions of Batman. As long as they stayed true to the heart and soul of the show, I would be fine with it. So a lot of studios came up with their own versions and pitched them to us. So I met with them, and with Damishita I only had to make a few basic notes. From there, I really didn’t have that much else to do with the construction of it.

2/2

NRAMA: This is all interesting, being you did a lot of the real animation of Powerpuff Girls in Rough Draft Korea. Last I checked, that was part of Asia.

CM: Yes. What I actually was saying is it actually had to have some sort of Japanese connection. That’s the only way you can air a cartoon on a network in Japan. That’s the way it was presented to me.

Also, they wanted to age it up a little bit. Over that I told them that it still had to be a kids show. It could not be adult. It could not be sexual. Also, the first time they presented it to me, Professor Utonium wasn’t in it, and I told them that wasn’t going to happen. They had to have a father. They had to put that character in it. You can’t have the Girls without the Professor.

That’s an important point of the show. The Girls have tons of power, but they still have a parental authority. So they kind of put the Professor in it. I’ve seen some of the episodes and I have to admit it’s kind of surreal looking at it. It’s like it’s something I’m incredibly familiar with, but at the same time I just don’t have an idea of what’s going to happen next.

NRAMA: And it’s not available in the States in any way, right?

CM: No. It hasn’t. I understand there are plans for it. It’s already aired in Japan and there are DVDs out. In fact, I just got a three-DVD boxed set. They really are on top of it that way. It seems there is a real diehard anime fan base who have embraced it.

So I would love for it ultimately to be shown here. I don’t know if there are any plans for that yet.

God bless the Finnish.

Indeed

Why is that gif so satisfying to watch?

Oh man, have I got a channel for you. Just a Finn crushing shit with a Hydraulic Press. Every episode ends with a clay figure getting crushed as well.

youtube.com/channel/UCcMDMoNu66_1Hwi5-MeiQgw

The result is a bit surprising.

barafags

That is fine too