RIPLEY! Think of all we can LEARN from it! IT'S A CHANCE OF A LIFETIME! You must let me have it...

RIPLEY! Think of all we can LEARN from it! IT'S A CHANCE OF A LIFETIME! You must let me have it. It's a magnificent specimen!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YBXm9ZUVano
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Alien 3 is low-key Kino. Fans are just salty that muh soldier and muh child had sudden and unremarkable deaths.

Alien Resurrection on the other hand, now there's a piece of shit. Re-watched it last night and beyond some great visuals in parts it's maybe one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Joss Whedon should be fucking ashamed of himself.

>The entire scene with the Newborn
>Skin gets sucked off it by a hole in the hull
>Its skull comically hovers in midair for a second before disintegrating
>For some reason it's screaming in English while dying

That's the thing. I love Aliens but on one hand I hate it because it irrevocably changed the course of the Alien setting. Alien3 I want to like it ( and I do as a horror movie) but its such a big kick in the balls as a sequel to Aliens.

The original Alien is such a pure movie.

>You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? Perfect movie. Its structural perfection is matched only by its cinematography. I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality

I read the novelisation of Alien Resurrection (which was based on the original script) and it feels so much different from the movie in several aspects. They cut/modified A LOT of shit for the movie and it glaringly shows after you've read the novel. It would be a much more acceptable film (though still flawed) had they made it in its pure incarnation.

Fucking suits, man. I fully understand why Fincher would disown Alien 3 after the execs anally devastated his film

Alien 3 was such a trainwreck in its production that it's a miracle it's still a decent entry in a franchise that's mostly bad.

Alien is a B movie. It's trash. It's not good. It's just bad jump scare after bad jump scare. Muh space grunge and much Giger has literally memes people into thinking it's art.

Man, I love Alien. It's my favorite movie and it's rare if I don't watch it at least every other month. And for years now it has bothered me to no end that Scott gets all the credit for O'Bannon's baby.

O'Bannon was the kid who grew up on scifi and horror, read Lovecraft as a kid, roomed with John Carpenter. He wanted to make a sci-fi monster movie set in a cold desolate universe where average joes have their bubble of normality shattered by the presence of a horror that came from a dead planet. What O'Bannon called "visiting the planet of the Old Ones".

Ever since Prometheus I wondered how much of the original Alien was Scott's doing, or O'Bannon's. Well Covenant answered that for me. All Scott wants to do is make a poor man's 2001, with hackneyed Christian references. I'm just glad that O'Bannon doesn't have to see what Scott is doing to his baby. Lord knows he suffered enough having to see Aliens Resurrectiom and two AvP movies happen.

Interesting, was Whedon basically only responsible for turning it into a backdoor Firefly pilot and adding le ebin quippy dialogue and le strong lesbian Ripley clone?

I'm a big fan of Carpenter, O'Bannon, Giger, Moebius, and basically everyone involved in the Jodorowsky Dune project and Dark Star.

I don't dismiss Ridley Scott entirely as having agency in it being such a brilliant film, after all he was a young man at the time and the run he had from The Duellists to Black Rain was truly something to behold, but essentially he was a very capable ringleader herding a collection of supreme creative talent into making a seminal film. Somewhere along the way he lost his touch and got burnt out, the closest he's had to a return to form is Gladiator.

I wont ever doubt that Scott is a talented director with a good sense of technique and like you said brought together all those pieces into a coherent whole. But letting him have free reign over the Alien franchise when he seems to not get the core themes and inspirations seems like a mistake. It just bothers me that Scott gets all the credit for the film.

I agree.

That said, Prometheus and Covenant seem to take a lot of cues from certain Moebius comics. I'm beginning to wonder if Scott pitched it as his own sci-fi franchise initially, and due to the state of modern Hollywood the only way he could get his existential "Chariots of the Gods" sci-fi/horror concept funded was to make it part of the Aliens franchise.

I think I'd enjoy both films a lot more if they were their own thing with no connection to the previous imagery.

This, the assembly cut of Alien 3 is pretty good. It's by far the third best film of the series.

>I'M NOT A ROOOBBBBOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT

Yeah, I felt the strongest parts about Prometheus were the parts that didn't connect it to the Alien setting. And that because of the Alien connections it kept dragging the movie in two directions.

As far as I remember, Johner is the only one who is still le quiplord every now and then, but unlike the film, he's not this macho juggernaut 24/7, he gets genuinely horrified of the Alien, even quavering autistically in fear in one moment.

The novel explores Ripley's hivemind connection to the Aliens aboard the ship much more, it feels better than just some gameshark mind-read cheat code like it is in the film. When the mother Alien is giving birth in the end, Ripley thrashes and screams along with her because of the connection, it's one of the most well-written parts in the novel.

Also, one of the most retarded changes that happened from the original script/novel to the movie: the Newborn. In the novel, it's a big ass white (don't remember that part well, but I recall that you can see a lot of blood vessels all over it) Alien that looks even more horrific than your standard edition xeno, without any of the potato-baby bullshit of the movie, it's just nasty

did anybody not think he was supposed to be a more advanced robot?

I hate this argument, it comes up every Alien thread and it's so badly thought out.
What would you have had instead? Alien 2?
Ripley gets stuck on a different space station/ship/base with limited resources and is stalked by a different xeno while a crew of different people around her get taken out? That literally is Alien 3, which you say you don't like either.
Aliens is regarded as one of the best sequels of all time because it dodged the nigh-undodgeable bullet coming your way when you try to make a sequel to an incredibly popular, successful and celebrated movie: everyone wants more of what the original had, but they'll hate you and it if you just remake the first movie.
Going action/sci-fi rather than horror/sci-fi is the only choice, and Cameron executed the transition beautifully. Aliens was the best movie Alien 2 would and could ever have been.

Not the user you replied to but I wish we could live in a world where people just don't make sequels to good movies

If you're really interested, google the script William Gibson wrote for Alien 3. Takes place on a space station iirc. It's pretty good.

I agree with you wholeheartedly user It's a superb movie, it is probably the best sequel you could have asked. Whenever I watch Alien, I almost always pop in Aliens right after. But it's undeniable that it completely changed the direction of the franchise. For one I still prefer the idea of the Xenomorph turning victims into new eggs over a hive based around a queen. The former is just more horrific and alien to me. But the Queen design is so great that I don't care.

uh-nnnnoooooo!!!!!

>It's an "everything the art department came up with was better than what was finally approved" episode

youtube.com/watch?v=YBXm9ZUVano

angry joe

>that one with the lips

MUH

Watch Alien 3 (version ox) this week after a 2nd watch of Prometheus. It was a solid movie up until the Doctor and then the Prison Warden was killed. From then on the plot and screenplay declines as those characters leave a noticeable void. comedic bants "I'm one of the family.." "Fuck!" give the second half a campy tone. The movie picks up a little seriousness with Dillon's final speech, but I stop caring by the time Lance and Sigourney phoned in their performance. I was pretty disappointed in how this movie petered out.

>Alien Resurrection
the gateway drug to AVP series.

The one with human eyes is spooky.

Based on Giger's unused concepts for Alien 3.