Thoughts on this?

Thoughts on this?

I was disappointed it had nothing to do with Brazil

Its decent for its world building and disturbing scenes. However it is a largely taking alot from 1984, and the symbolism some have stated is abit too silly for my liking

Great first half, mediocre second half.

Impressive level of set design that you don't see much of anymore.

I find it goes in a completely different direction to 1984.

1984 is an evil government controlling and manipulating it's people

Brazil is an out of control bureaucracy that everyone is slaves to. The people do bad things but only because it's their jobs, the only person who is actively evil rather than being another cog is the people with petty power, like the plumber.

Yeah, the world in Brazil has gone beyond anyone's control. There's no vision or clear leadership, just people being extremely anal about their jobs because they've stopped caring about everything else.

The plumber was evil? First I've heard this.

Great music, great 1. and 2. act, 3. was slow-ish and I disliked the space odyssey-esque visual that represented the ending. Good old movie in any case.

It's the nostalgia critics favourite film!

I think he means the two plumbers from the government, not De Niro

Oh thanks! And now that we're here, what was the symbolsim to de Niro's plumber? I like this interpretation: , so if I roll with it, what does that make the plumber?

He was an HVAC technician. The character highlighted the absurdity of the bureaucratic nightmare of the world. Simple problems, which could be solved through mutual aid and free association, become an unnavigable forest of red tape wholly manufactured by layers of unnecessary procedure cobbled together by an alienated society.

This. De Niro's scene was comfy as fuck.

Is this magical realism?

I actually head about this movie for the first time from Doug when I was younger. I'll never admit it in real life.

It's my favorite Gilliam.

Seen it on late night tv when i around 12-13, it absolutely terrified me

>two batman films in his top 10 movies ever

Overrated nonsense.
Only redeeming quality is the Bobby De Niro cameo.

Depressing and overrated. Yeah it's very interesting and unique but that alone doesn't make it a great movie like people say it is. A lot of it is just plain ugly, which I guess is intentional, but I don't find it enjoyable to stare at.

my fav movie ever.

12 monkeys > brazil > zero theorem

>disliking burton's batman

totally. like latinamerican magical realism with a bit of german expressionism.

I don't dislike it but 4th best film ever? Really?

I actually watched it last night. Much less dark and more goofy than i imagined it would be but the music and visuals were cool and actually comicy, unlike any capeshit of the last 10 years. Wanted to bang jokers gf too

Absolute Kino. Gilliams Masterpiece

favorite film =/= best film ever.

I love '89 Batman though and honestly I can see why Doug rank it so high. He probably saw it as a kid like I did, and that ranking is so wrapped up in nostalgia now. Nothing wrong with that. I think when one sees a film in their life can really affect one's enjoyment of it.

And yea, Joker's GF was top tier.

The silver suit its like tim burton's superman suit it never got filmed

I like it, but I find it kind of boring since I'm kinda dumb.
Love Time Bandits though.

I liked this poster better for it

FPBP
my dad said the same thing when it first came out on vhs.

A lot of it was filmed on location, actually. Suburbs of Paris with some really strange and unique architecture.

a classic must see

my favorite gilliam along with 12 Monkeys and Baron Munchhausen

Great movie, plot, music, and effects
dumb name

Are you talking about the movie or the actual country? Cant make a distinction anymore

The working title for it was "1984 1/2", and it was meant to show an over-intrusive, over-powered government in the hands of ineptitude. However, since the film adaption of 1984 had been released earlier that year, they decided to go with the current title.