Dumbing Of Age

I hate this fucking comic so much...

Why can't I stop reading it?

Pictured: Becky's entire character

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5NRgAk6ozaI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The comic may be dumb but it was an enjoyable dumb when focused on Ruth and Mary and Trannywheels or whatever. Like it's better to make fun of.

Becky is just infuriatingly awful and Willis is too stupid that she's not a quirky manic pixie dream girl but an insufferable, self-absorbed cunt.

The comic's always been dumb and bland. You people need to find a better use for your time and stop giving this mush attention, to be honest family.

Man kids are stupid.

>Criticizing Becky's behavior in this

Fucking cis shitlords, can't you understand that Becky should be allowed to express her sexuality whenever and however she pleases? When you're homosexual, inanities like "sense" are irrelevant in the face of ones overwhelming infatuation for his or her or zer or wiz own sex's genitals.

Your inability to grasp this is literally killing lesbians.

>Why can't I stop reading it?

You can learn about shit by dealing with shit.

I know Becky isn't smart in the least, but how can she be THIS retarded ?

Turns out trying to be Michelangelo in real life? Not nearly as cool in the cool as in the comics. Being the Zany Fun-Loving One is hard work.

Also, is she talking about the girlfriend she left an lark for this half-year long weekend adventure?

So Joyce is helping Becky break into her house (which they shouldn't have to do to get the paperwork they need, but whatever) and Becky puts this whole mission in jeopardy just to alert her former neighbors that, yes, she eats pussy.
I keep thinking that this is reaching levels of self-aware parody that will lead to a confrontation with Joyce calling Becky out on her self-centered behavior, but I think I could be giving Willis to much credit.

>Being the Zany Fun-Loving One is hard work
>Michelangelo

Fucking excuse me? Michelangelo was a very severe, pensive man.

Jaysus Christ.

Are you a me from a dimension where I hate DoA more than QC?

I don't think I've been this angry at DoA in a while.

I mean, I expected Becky to fuck up the break-in somehow, but I expected it to be later on. We're not even in the fucking house yet!

God dammit why does Willis keep going out of his way to make me want to punch every fucking person in this comic?

>Willis is becoming self-aware
We've discussed this for years. It is naught but a pipe dream.

My question is WHY? Why can't he see how terrible his characters behavior is?
Like, someone should go do this stuff to him, so that the scales may fall from his eyes.

>We need a tranny and rollerskates.

Sadly, that's not the case. One of Becky's only character traits is that she's a lesbian and she feels the need to inform everybody around her that she's a lesbian.

Because that's what lesbians do, you know.
They openly broadcast that they are lesbians.

He's too in love with his characters to see any faults in them. He's been with the same cast for almost two decades now. They're likely still as flat as ever, and in some cases I'd bet that they're even more flat now than ever before, mostly because Dumbing of Age is a relatively fresh reboot of his cast.

>My question is WHY?
He know she's being obnoxious, but it doesn't matter, because she's being obnoxious to bigots.

That means she's likable by default.

It's like holding a dark gray object against a black one.

He can't make a good character, so he makes the other ones worse.

It's why Carla's enemy is a religious nut who hates trannies

Yeah, but black is thinning.
Dark grey makes you look like an unlikable lesbian cunt

Oh for the love of Christ...

>He's too in love with his characters to see any faults in them.

And he puts elements of himself into them. In the end it all comes back to his flagrant narcissism.

Which also explains why he married a woman who looks like him

OK, I have here, the rough outline of a story that, if Willis used, would fix his comic

>Becky starts spending less and less time with GF
>GF starts to be concerned
>Confrontation
>Flashback
>Becky sitting with her father
>He's not paying much attention to her
>Sees some other young girl kiss another young girl, and being scolded for it
>Decides that if her father won't pay attention to her, she'll make him
>starts dropping hints of being bi
>Stops bringing boys to meet her father
>starts drop hints of being full out gay.
>Toedad.flac happens
>Now that her dad has paid attention to her, she realizes she can't keep up the charade
>apologies to GF
>Has big 'Coming Out Straight' Party
youtube.com/watch?v=5NRgAk6ozaI

Becky admits being lesbo was all a ploy for attention.

While better, it still makes her a fucking idiot.

Who is this Cerberus person in the comments and why are they such a fucking idiot.

nigga, we're working with a Hisorhima, August 6, 1945 8:17 AM -level character here.

We're not fixing this overnight. We can make an ok zen garden in the rubble for when the neighboring cities come over to complain about the noise.

People pay money for this shit.

That makes me lose faith in humanity.

I hope they get caught and Becky realizes what a moron she is

A future strip has shown they'll be fine, still together and nothing has changed.

The worst part is the homophobic line could be be a really great pun to end a strip with.

That's retarded. You don't do anti-Willis by being as shitty as Willis except in reverse, you do it by making a good, or at least adequate, story.

>Becky starts spending less and less time with Dina
>the constant announcements of lesbianism begin to grate heavily on Dina
>confrontation
>reveal that Becky has spent so long pretending to be someone else that she doesn't really know who she is anymore
>the constant lesbian announcements are a mental reassurance, reinforcing the one thing about herself that she knows is true
>her spending so much time with Joyce is due to Becky being unsure of their friendship due to being built heavily around lies of omission and not wanting to lose Joyce following her admission of love and the debacle with her father

Becky should have access to a time machine

>A scarred, middle-aged Becky returns to the past to prevent a runaway science experiment from fusing Mary and Carla into a single, self-replicating being known as Marla
>Combining Mary's petty intolerance with Carla's disproportionate sense of retribution, the Marla has formed an army that has ruined the world through excessive violence against trivial slights
>However, attempting to stop Becky from undoing the future that is Marla is Amazi-Woman, whose endless battle against the Marla has finally allowed her to repress the personality of Amber completely

i think he means the orange ninja turtle

I'm actually trying my hardest not to hate Becky. But DAMN it Willis.

>Becky admits being lesbo was all a ploy for attention.
that sounds very cringey.
now this seems more interesting.

For me it's mostly the skrillex haircut.
I would like her a lot better if she grew it out and put it into a ponytail.

>it's a "willis desperately wants minority groups to be represented in his comic but has no actual real life experience with them so he can only write caricatures" strip

oh wait that's all of them

Because you enjoy hate.

Remember when willis actually made interesting comics?

MEANWHILE, IN THE GOOD WILLIS COMIC.

I remember when people were getting shit for saying they don't like Becky's haircut. People were like "Why because it's a 'GAY' haircut, you bigot!?"

Personally, straight, gay, male, female, I've NEVER liked shaved head hairstyles. I don't even like mohawks all that much. But now because gay people en masse started to gravitate towards that, my dislike is rooted in bigotry and not personal preference? This is less a fault with the fanbase/Willis than the comic itself but I just read the comments for the first time in like...half a month and I already feel disgusted.

Remember when a character named "Leslie Bean" was a more enjoyable lesbian character than Becky? Remember when characters actually wrote characters first and built upon their background and races rather than building them up from there?

You could even just go with something as simple as Becky being in a relationship with Dina because being in a relationship validates her and gives her a sense of stability while posing the question of exactly how much romantic interest does Becky actually have for Dina.

>Characters actually wrote characters
*Willis actually wrote characters

DUDE LESBIAN LMAO

I'd be up for that if it ends in Becky realizing she really does like Dina and deciding to become a better person for her.

>Michaelangelo the painter
>On the comics and cartoons board

Is that better or worst than DUDE WEED LMAO

>those gradients
you can tell this was from the early 00s

I don't think it has to end like that, but ideally should be the catalyst for character development.

Something to consider is that this is probably both Becky's and Dina's first relationship.

>this is probably both Becky's and Dina's first relationship.
That was what i was getting at. Since this is their first relationship, they should learn the important lesson of change.

If Dina is autistic it's possible that she wouldn't understand why the relationship is having problems and assume she's doing something wrong.

Now we're getting at some interesting stuff here.
too bad willis won't care about any of it

Realistically I don't see how Dina and Becky would last in a relationship. They're too inexperienced and carry too much baggage for it to work.

That being said I ship Dina x Sarah so I'm biased.

Walky reminds me of that scene from Fritz the Cat

>Becky is just infuriatingly awful and Willis is too stupid that she's not a quirky manic pixie dream girl but an insufferable, self-absorbed cunt.
I like her. And Willis is fully aware of her defaults.

>can't you understand that Becky should be allowed to express her sexuality whenever and however she pleases?
Isn't it the case for everyone?

>When you're homosexual, inanities like "sense" are irrelevant in the face of ones overwhelming infatuation for his or her or zer or wiz own sex's genitals.
I think the lack of measure is more due to the consequence having been repressed their whole life and finally being allowed to be themselves. Excesses will be expected.

>Because that's what lesbians do, you know.
That's what a lot of repressed people do when they are finally free to be themselves.

You know I bet one of Becky's neighbours has a spare key. If they asked nicely they could use that and save themselves the bother of climbing in the window.
Maybe show someone who isn't Joyce expressing sympathy for Becky's situation

Fuck off Willis

Willis this is a good time to expose the evils of the Castle Law

Have Becky walk into the house and get shot in the head

Show America the evils of their gun rights and castle doctrine

Be sure to have Becky get shot twice to show how truly evil it is

Would that even apply, it's still her home until she's officially evicted

I haven't been keeping up with the comic, but I assume she assumes her neighbours wouldn't actually care about her breaking into her dad's house.

>Because that's what lesbians do, you know.
>They openly broadcast that they are lesbians.

I can sort of understand this, actually, since she's been closeted for so many years that she probably still gets a rush of endorphins every time she "admits" she's gay.

That still doesn't excuse her shouting it on the street and giving her best friend a heart attack, though.

I don't think police do anything in this comic, so it would be weird for them to show up to arrest these idiots.

Still, it's incredibly shitty for Becky to play on Joyce's insecurities like that when she's doing something she really doesn't morally agree with to help her.

Also even if I thought the "I'm a lesbian" punchline was funny at some point, it's not gonna be funny forever. At least figure out other words to use or something.

>Why?

Specifically because people like us criticize it.

He hunkers down and revs it up again and again, and judges how good a job he's doing by how loud his detractors are complaining.

And then the people who puzzled why she's spending the last of her cash on haircuts were set upon.

I entered the debate and was told by Cerberus that it only made it MORE reasonable, since that money wasn't going to help anyway. And after all, it's a statement! She's a lesbian! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

get this weeaboo trash off my board.

Hoping the user was joking, but yeah. Being the Zany Loving One is alright when you're a teen, and doubly so if you're an anthropomorphic turtle.

In real life, its a harder sell. If you're still doing it into your 30's, there might be something wrong.

Even Leslie started out as a bland stereotype

Worse

Leslie's character revolved around being gay, but she didn't revolve around yelling "I'm gay" to everyone in every situation. Leslie wasn't obnoxious. Just cute and gay before she got a bigger role in the comic and started being cynical and jaded like everyone else over time.

Dammit, you can't justify everything in a work of fiction by saying it happens in real life. If things being realistic was enough, then reality TV would have surpassed written stuff years ago.

Besides, Becky's problem isn't that she's trying to express herself after years of repression. I have no problem with that. It's that she's doing it in literally any occasion, even when it has no relevance to the situation. Hell, if you want to get into realism, what's realistic about someone fucking up a burglary to spite the neighbors?

Just have it as Becky having a very slow breakdown.

Willis has a real hate boner for any kind of authority e.g. Sal bitching about "laws made by old, white men", when what she was really pissed off about was her not being able to coerce somebody into buying cheap booze for her
>that image
>ChrisEvansasCaptainAmerica.gif
But user, if we wanted to read comics that are grounded, we could just read Prince Valiant!

Okay, that last panel made me laugh because it looks exactly like something you might find in a Sup Forums edit and I couldn't help but think what a perfect reaction image it makes to describe the comic and everything wrong with Becky. That being said, Becky is an unreasonably stupid and obnoxious character as usual, Joyce is being such a pussy here when she should know better, and the whole situation makes no sense.

Man, this is so bad I can't even edit this

Nazi josh, save us

Goddamn, Prince Valiant is so fucking excellent.

I'd trade a million of the best webcomickers for one Hal Foster or Winsor McCay

I hope Jocelyn is, at the very least, annoyed in the next strip. Ideally she'd go full Moe for these three stooges.

It's time for another Good Idea, Bad Idea.

Good idea: coming out to homophobes before doing something helpful.

Bad idea:coming out to homophobes before breaking into a house.

you guys are being unfair. most incarnations of Mikey knew when to shut the fuck up and focus on others. she's more like Urkel really

>filename: Lesbians_internally.png
This is the most unbelievable thing you've ever drawn.

Really? Seems pretty in character for me to draw.

I just mean that Becky only lesbians externally. She might be physically incapable of containing it.

It's a cute Becky.

Oh gosh, that was a fun thread.
I got Volumes 2-4 of Prince Valiant after that storytime, I should really get back into collecting the rest.

I don't know why Willis keeps trying to do character stuff, he's just not very good at it. The best parts o Shortpacked were the comic book and transformers cut away jokes. No one cared about the actual main cast of characters.

I'm surprised you stuck around Yoto. Even the crusader Mary guy faltered.

Also I love how apparently people love you both here and in the comment section. Has anyone caught on to you being a filthy 4chunner yet?

>Has anyone caught on to you being a filthy 4chunner yet?
There's already a bounty for his arrest in the comments.

I liked the characters in It's Walky.
Of course, that's over 10 years old now.

I'm very open about it whenever someone brings it up. I'm also very open about all the smut I draw and I can't help but speak up when something in the comics annoys me or I feel like it's poorly written. Cerberus and I tend to be at odds, but they don't seem to outright hate me for whatever reason. Probably because I'm not white.

When was the last time Cerberus wrote something?

>2000 was 16 years ago

Not to me, but they've been posting a LOT on last night's comments. Each of them like the length of a short story. They even responded to one of my comments that responded to mine, basically to say "I agree" and even that was like 2-3 paragraphs.

Did it look like this?
"This.

WORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDS"

Yes but broken up into like 10 3-4 sentence paragraphs.

*Cerberus' behind you*
Nothing Personel, Ciskid

I got banned, again, for talking to her. Apparently saying all cops are out to force fundamental Christianity down people throats is fine. Saying that putting a whole group of people in the same box is kind of racist is wrong on every level.

Also you can't be a bigot if you are of a minority apparently.

This offends me on a fundemental level. This..sickens me. I can't QUANTIFY my hatred for this. It's such a sever pit of loathing for these two individuals that I don't even know what to do with it.I just feel ill.

So he's saying "transgender people" can't be racists, bigots or just plain stupid idiots?