How's Your Webcomic? /hyw/ #275

Share your comic with others!
Link your website and portfolio!
Comment and critique others work!
Previous thread: Thread activity: don't talk about the thread activity.

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0lck7oo4A
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
luckyhazard.thecomicstrip.org/
vigormortis.co.uk/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag

Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:

>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

>*-Finally, here are some links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV

>*-Here’s the contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>*-We also got a SKYPE CHAT room going on,
To join the chat, seek out 'starlinemike' or 'scribblehatch' and they'll add you in.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0lck7oo4A

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

Fresh update! What do you guys think?

>tfw your comic has shit art and the first comic of the thread is miss melee

>tfw the artist for miss melee got good because they spent their time on practising instead of self-pitying shitposts

I think Osakan Riot is a JMILF

Looks good.
You'd think she just wouldn't HAVE a license plate on the bike.

Mentioned this already so I'm only bringing it up again so other people can take note as well. Please please please pay attention to tangents especially in panels that have extreme movement like the last one. MM hitting her head on the panel boarder hampers the movement and slows it down.

let's get a progress report on those comics you lazy fucks

Going to spend this weekend working on the first few pages. Going to hammer out the rest of page one when I gt home then sleep.

Also saving up for a portable drawing table so I canwork on comics at work

Next update I have drawn from months ago. I'll be able to finish earlier than the update day this week. I want to work on being able to update twice a week.

I can't draw much anymore because I started working, but I have just finished writing one of my 12 /u/ oneshots. aso 11 left. I think I'll be able to churn out 1 page per 4-5 days this time instead of 2p/day. Feels bad. Good thing though is that there's so many inspos and fun infos outside. Did you know that when a decedent with a huge debt dies, his heirs are only indebted to the creditors for an amount not exceeding the decedent's estate value? That's why in comics, its mostly the Yakuza who chases the indebted heir, almost never an actual authority operating under the law because it's illegal. So I can't make a /u/ comic about girl A who became girl B's maid due to her father's bankrupt business because that's involuntary servitude.

Smoothed out The Sisters shapes a bit since the last reference. Or, at least since I found out Hiveworks wants nice character reference.

Last version for comparison: i.imgur.com/hQEOt5c.png
Current updated lineup:
i.imgur.com/N0I1Szf.png

So how goes everyone's Hiveworks pitches? After like 5 drafts we finally got the plot under 500 words and are just piecing it all together now.

It took me like 4 tries to get the plot close to 500 words. The first draft wasn't even 200.

All I need is a character model sheet and I can send mine in, so hopefully that'll be ready today.

luckyhazard.thecomicstrip.org/

two page update!

I'm drawing two references for main characters
Sloooowwwwwly

Fixed!

Rip and tear.

vigormortis.co.uk/

Do you guys do storyboard of your comics? Do you experience mission creep? Originally this chapter had 38 pages, and than I added 2 more page to provide some transition. After I have been drawing these characters, I wanted to show more of them, so I added another 6 pages worth of dialogue exposition by them. Now there are 46 pages.

Issue 1 of Miss Melee was originally scripted for 18 pages, but as it was being drawn I made some major last minute changes to the ending of the issue and that bumped the page count up to 20. By that time I had written through issue 6 at 18 pages so I've been going through each issue and lengthening it to 20 pages to make everything consistent. I've already done issue 2 (obviously, the script is finalized before it goes into the drawing stage) and I've taken issue 3 to 20 pages and am currently making minor tweaks to it. I still have issues 4, 5, and 6 to do and man, issue 4 is gonna be rough because I already wasn't happy with how decompressed it was.

Animation swipes are always fun.

I got some more if you wanna see.

Smears.

my comic's first arc was supposed to end at the end of december of last year, now it's slated to end mid-june

How many of you guys are sending Hiveworks pitches? I won't be since my comic is new and not my main project but Im curious to see what you guys are doing.

nice coloring

Same thing.

Try googling "animation swipe".

You... you know you aren't supposed to just only draw the deformed faces, right? you know you have to have other frames that go with it to create motion and all that, right?

I plan the general scope of the comic (number of "issues") before starting, do quick gesture sketches for the key parts, revise, add and subtract and change as necessary, then do super rough thumbnails for the whole thing and then do my normal thumbnails one "issue/chapter/whatever" at a time.

It takes a few days before I can actually start doing lineart, but it's better to know what you're doing in advance than to go over your page limit or have to rewrite something/redraw multiple pages.

Helps that I've never done a project that was more than 300 pages, I suppose.

>It takes a few days before I can actually start doing lineart,
For 300 pages?
Man, I've spent over a month now just trying to work out one chapter.
Any advice for how to speed up?

how did you guys make your websites? It's seems like such a byzantine process

Psh yeah, of course man, these only show up for two frames.

Speed's all about conditioning and avoiding burnout.

Like, sure, you can do ALL your layouts at once and ALL your pencils and ALL your inks but it'll suck. It'll suck a lot. You'll wanna work on a million other things when its day 14 of ink-the-same-comic.

But it becomes a crap-ton easier when you start breaking it up. Lay out 4 pages, pencil em, ink, em, color, now lay out the next 4.

This way you never feel stuck or chained to a project you hate because there's always something new to do.

Have there been any cases where creator basically put his oneitis in his comic, just with a slightly different hair and name? I don't want to feel alone in doing this. I also made the main love interest my self insert. I know I'm pathetic.

There's nothing wrong with self inserts in a comic as long as the resulting characters aren't Mary Sue perfect.

Thanks. I've actually tried to implement that kind of stuff already, but it's still good to know it's not just me imagining things, even if there's no magic bullet.

It's usually not a good idea to put in stuff like that.
When you're that emotionally affected by a character, you're not in a good position to tell a story.

Fellow newbie (not exactly new, as I've been lurking) here, I drew this as filler to take up space on an otherwise mostly blank page in my pitch. Obviously I'm not doing the whole comic in this style, but I wanted to paint something in between drawing all those comic pages and decided I might as well put it to good use.

Why the fuck is twitter a popular social media and constantly recommended for me to get as an aspiring webcomicker?

Because it's a good way to make a personal connection with your fans!

But it isn't.

Yes it is.

No it isn't.

Yes it is. My Twitter evangelists help me sell my comic to a broader audience and helps me sell to conventions even if I'm not attending.

WIP of the next page!

Twitter is the worst social media I've ever used for art. There is no mobility with it unless you've already got a following. It's useless.

No, I mean I do one chunk's "proper" thumbnails and then do lineart. It takes a few days to do the initial drafting and ~25 thumbnails, not 300.

Ah, that does sound more reasonable. Guess I just need to stick with it until I get the hang of it.

It only is if you actually have fans. If you don't, I can't help you, bud.

>implying Dewd will ever practice anything

That's what makes it shitty.

If it doesn't help you get what you don't have, what good is it?

Nothing.

Naturally, I used /aco/ OC thread to practice on my designs and shit.

You gotta build it up, brother. Ain't nothing easy in comics.

what a sad lonely fuck, you only produce drivel when you seek to write about your pathetic fantasies instead of actually having a great story to tell.

As I have mentioned in previous threads I have completely reworked the original premise I was working from while trying to keep the same characters. I will now babble at length about what I'm doing into this void as I am an egotist and would like the temporary gratification that comes with sharing my stupid ideas with strangers on the internet. Also because I want feedback, but mostly the first thing.

The story concerns two normal teenagers who have just graduated from high school and are anxious about entering the world that is adulthood. Neither have decided to go to college at the moment for various reasons (Apathy, lack of direction, a desire to lengthen their high school life). One of them discovers that he has inherited a bunch of crap from his recently deceased uncle and the two of them decide to go check it out. They dig through the large amounts of crap in the uncle's old house, a lot of which seems to suggest he was an explorer of some sort, and eventually stumble upon and activate a strange device that opens up a portal to another world and sucks the two of them in.

They soon find themselves to be trapped in a strange and different new world that was ruled by hyper-advanced humans until 1,000 years ago when all the humans on the planet vanished into thin air leaving the planet to be taken over by the various species of weird monsters that called it home. Thus our two protagonists find that now they not only have to deal with living as functional adults but with living as functional adults in a strange and alien world populated exclusively by strange monsters as they try desperately to search for a way home and investigate the secrets of the new world they've found themselves on..

What a cop out statement. Everyone knows that. You don't have to defend twitter.

It's a doggy dog world out there brother

Also, another idea

REMEMBER

I've been working on the Twitter for my comic since my comic launched and only in the last month or so has it actually started to get built up, but it is growing and I am tracking people coming to my site from Twitter, as well as amassing followers and more importantly gaining friends through it.

It took time, and I stuck with it, and it's beginning to very slightly pay off.

I've actually blogged about this, social media takes time to truly become a viable venue for comic promotion (unless of course you're already popular). Check it out: miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

Also have this because I am generous and not at all desperate for attention

gross. practice drawing

I can't. I have a doctor's note

Never has "Kill your darlings" been more appropriate advice.

some quick advice:

learn how to draw faces
learn how to draw hair
learn how to draw breasts
learn how to draw arms
learn how to draw thighs
learn how to draw stomaches
learn how to draw eyes
learn how to draw

Yeah, I'm old and super out of practice.

Used to be I could draw like a champion: I could draw a person, I could draw a dog I could even draw a field. Then I got lazy and had mental health problems and I stopped drawing and all my draw muscles turned to mush. Now I'm just trying to get back to where I used to be.

I didn't forget how to draw goofy faces, oddly enough...

another retard with piles of excuses. don't kid yourself, you always drew like garbage.

you should at least remember your techniques

in any case, good luck

That may be, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm out of practice. I gotta draw more.

One more before I go because I am desperate for honest feedback and human companionship

>honest feedback

Kill your darlings.

KILL. YOUR. DARLINGS.

You've been drawing these two characters for how many years now? You're stuck in a box, unable to grow, unable to improve because every time you might potentially step outside your comfort zone "whoops, better see how this works with my pet fat chick!" and it's back to the same rote routines that prevent improvement.

Do yourself a favor and put these two boring, stock characters on a shelf for three months. Do whatever you want but don't even DOODLE their goddamn stupid faces. Do something else. DO SOMETHING ELSE.

For fuck's sake DO SOMETHING ELSE. And if you can't, if you're simply unable to step away from these characters because you're so goddamn in love with them, then stop asking for advice.

Because the only advice you're ever gonna get that's worth a damn is to recognize when what you're doing isn't working and it's time to DO SOMETHING ELSE.

>I am desperate for honest feedback
Stop letting your penis rule your art. Practice the basics and try multiple body types.

>and human companionship
Go outside and make friends.

There are many people in this thread who should take your advice.

Hey, to be fair I do draw other things...I just never post them

learn to draw non clown noses

That's not the point and you know it.

I know :(

I just like the characters I've come up with and I feel there's something comforting in having at least one staple thing you can artistically come back to after a while

This is exactly why you haven't improved in years.

name a few

anyone here uses fire alpaca to color stuff

iis there a way to make the color picker only pick the colors on the current layer i can't find any buttons to change it

Knock it off.

That's going to start some shit and you know it.

Just walk away.

Nah nigga, We are going witchhunt other artists.

This is place to be more friendly.

>hurr safe space
fuck off to tumblr

It's not about the safe space shit, it's because one of the names is thinking of is a serious drama whore in these threads and is much better off not being mentioned by name.

Please stop posting anonymously so my filter of your tripcode can do its job. Thanks in advance.

Simple color test for a comic page! How's this look to you guys?

I like it!

He's gonna push it anyway, fuck it.
One of user's examples is Scribblehatch, who has sunk two years into a comic that has yet to even reach a single climax and a handful of characters with extremely similar and simplistic body types. He needs to let go of his dream project and pet characters for a while and work on projects that will actually make him grow as an artist and writer.

There, it's out there now, no more floundering about trying to conceal it or hushed tones levied at those who dare whisper his name.

Now why do you think that?

Why do you do this to the thread?

>2 years
just for that one chapter?

Oh dear you responded. Now he will.

fuck off you clucking hen

Me? I hate this conversation. Wouldn't that make me the opposite?

Fine, you're a hucking clen.

I think you mean uǝɥ ƃuiʞɔnlɔ.

Christ, Scribblehatch, put your fucking tripcode on already.

c̟̟l̝̣͕͉͠ụ̭͔̖c̺̙͎͙k̤̺̞̫͈͙ị̙̖̣̤n̵͓g͉͔̳̲ ̧̦̞h̗̤̟e͈̭ṉ̵͈̬̜

Oh man you really ought to pick your battles. How many people have you called scrib at this point?

You've called me scrib, you've called 2 of my friends scrib, and god knows who else.