It's a cold winter night and these three American cops ask you stop. It's 2017 but for some reason they're on horseback

It's a cold winter night and these three American cops ask you stop. It's 2017 but for some reason they're on horseback.

What do?

nothing

AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?
AM I BEING DETAINED?

reach for my holy bible in the back pocket of my jeans to praise the lord and bless these men for doing such a great job.

>What seems to be the problem Officer?
>Oh you were making sure I was white?
>Ah, I can go now then?
>Thank you officer, have a nice evening.

>American

You sure? Everything in that picture makes me think those are Royal Canadian mounted police officers. They won't shoot you at all. They are the good guys

>They are the good guys
Aren't they notorious for confiscating peoples' guns?

Not really, an administrative branch of the RCMP is in charge of classifying guns into one of our 3 categories (easy to get, harder to get, nearly impossible to get) and their decisions are notoriously arbitrary. Sometimes they used to take First Nations men who were especially unruly repeat offenders and allegedly drove them out to the middle of nowhere in winter and left them for dead.
The RCMP is a lot of things though, there is no American equivalent. They do the job of your FBI, state police, highway patrol, secret service, city police, sheriff, ATF, marine patrol, parts of your CIA, DHS, IRS, Port Authorities, etc., and they are a military dragoon unit (gendarmerie) and a Royal guard.
I can be angry at one RCMP group for making odd gun laws while still thinking the average mountie is doing a great job overall.

In other people tell urban myths about crazy serial killers and obscure drugs, in America people tell urban myths about people confiscating guns.

Interesting. I asked because I remembered a story about them seizing "unsecure" firearms from evacuated homes during a flood and not returning them.

That's the law here though, regular guns have to be either unloaded with a trigger lock or locked in a secure place like a gun safe. Restricted and prohibited have to be unloaded, with a trigger lock, and in a gun safe.
If the mounties went to a house and found a gun just sitting around it is their job to seize it and up to the courts to decide when and if the owner gets it back.
It's odd to Americans but that's the way guns work here. We don't own them for home defence, we own them for investment, collecting, target/skeet shooting, and hunting. None of these require you to keep a loaded or unsecured gun in your house.

I AM FREE
TO TRAVEL

>We don't own them for home defence
It's so interesting because many people , including myself see owning guns as sorta like owning a fire extinguisher, I simply feel more secure having one just in case I need it. I suppose Candians just feel more secure in general.

I couldn't speak for large cities like Vancouver or Toronto, but my province is significantly safer than any state in the US and I have no worries. In my last house, where I lived for years, not only did we not lock our doors, we didn't even have a key. The landlord never offered one and we never thought to ask. I have never felt the need to own a gun for safety, although I do use mine (and sometimes my bow) to pick off the odd fox, coyote, skunk, or raccoon. Rabies is a big problem here and I have a dog, so I guess that's sort of a safety issue. You can shoot from a house here too so long as it's at animal on the province's nuisance wildlife list. Normally you have to be 200m for a gun or 100m away for a bow.

I keep a single shot shotgun loaded so I can shoot squirrels from my porch.

I couldn't do that if my farm was in Canada?

Are you a wizard?

>You can shoot from a house here too so long as it's at animal on the province's nuisance wildlife list. Normally you have to be 200m for a gun or 100m away for a bow.
Oh shit, didn't even need to ask.

>For a home
You can shoot squirrels since they are a nuisance animal but no, you couldn't legally keep a shotgun loaded by the backdoor.
Having said that, Canada has "spirit of law vs letter of the law." So, while technically illegal, unless you had kids at home or were posting pics on Facebook talking about your unsecured loaded firearm, you would never run into any legal problems and even if an overzealous cop did bust you on it somehow the Crown probably wouldn't even bother prosecuting.
Personally I just open my back door, sit in my kitchen, put a bit of bait like bread or nuts on the back deck, and shoot them as they come. My property is lousy with red squirrels

>For a business
A commercial farm may count as a business and is subject to different laws. You may well be allowed to keep a loaded firearm there

You can 100% use a gun for self defence purposes in Canada.

>even if an overzealous cop did bust you on it somehow the Crown probably wouldn't even bother prosecuting
I want to believe.

Yes, but it's different than in America