US has States

>US has States
>Canada has Provinces
what are the regions in your cunt called?
you may also post memes, if you'd like

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YCS1_9Uwne0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

States

States.

States

Comunidades autónomas, there are also two ciudades autonomas,

States and territories

States.

States

Regions, fifteen of them

we also have territories

States, territories, and commonwealths

Since states have already been mentioned, I'll talk about the subdivision for my state. 105 counties in my state

states
as in nation states because each one is basically a European country

Literally why.

youtube.com/watch?v=YCS1_9Uwne0

>he doesn't want to live in Pottowattamie county

So that everyone has a near by local government since back then they didn't have cars. So we have county clerks, judges, sheriffs, and other elected/appointed positions that deal with managing the land at a broader scope than what a mayor does for just a city in a county.
Think of it like the municipalities you have in Brazil
Population 23,661 and contains part of Manhattan, Kansas which is where I currently live for college though the college itself is in Riley county. So it isn't that bad of a place

US states aren't "regions" you tard
fuck off

Wait, so, your municipalities don't have a local government? I never really understood what the deal is with the US and counties. Pls spoonfeed.

Absolutely disgusting

Counties, can encompass rural territory or numerous small communities such as towns, villages and hamlets. I was just using you municipalities as an example of how even a small state can have a bunch of subdivisions. In the United States, "municipality" is usually understood as a city, town, village, or other local government unit. Counties are the intermediate tier of state government, between the statewide tier and the immediately local government tier (typically a city, town/borough or village/township). Counties have functional purposes in 48 of the 50 states—usually judiciary, county prisons and land registration—sometimes enforcement of building codes, federally mandated services programs, and the like. Most counties have a county seat, a city, town, or other named place where its administrative functions are centered.

Every state has its own subdivision system; municipalities sometimes have a local government.

Most states have counties as the main subdivision, with each county having a county seat (where county govt is), except Alaska which has boroughs and an unorganized area and Louisiana which has parishes. Baltimore, St. Louis, Carson City, and several cities in Virginia are independently governed and aren't apart of any county.

In my state (Maryland), county governments play the largest role outside of Baltimore since the largest parts of the population live in unincorporated census-designated areas (places that have names but no local government or official city/town/village status). There is no correlation between population and whether or not a place is incorporated, there are some incorporated places with a couple hundred thousand people and "cities" that have a local government but 10 people

Ah, I see. So municipalities are basically analogous in both countries, but we lack any county equivalent here. Rural areas here are usually within the jurisdicition and formally a part of the nearest town. There's no such thing as villages and hamlets here, at least not officially, and the municipality is the most basic territorial subdivision.

I've learned something today. Thanks senpai.

feels good to live in real state

It's really hard for me to grasp the concept of how much autonomy your states have.

And on that note, isn't the way the US is organized more akin to a confederation than a federation?

administrative regions

>Rural areas here are usually within the jurisdicition and formally a part of the nearest town.
As you can see by our population density nearest city is going to be rather small and considering we farm so much it works to have something the encompasses rural areas and the towns
>There's no such thing as villages and hamlets here, at least not officially
Same, usually those are just indicators of size
Kansas is as real as New Jersey
> isn't the way the US is organized more akin to a confederation than a federation
Nope the Federal Government is above the state governments and the state above counties. Power flows upwards except where the Constitution says otherwise. Some powers are reserved to the state governments.

Forgot my map. Also I know you guys have low population density considering the Amazon. If you look out west line in California and Nevada the counties are much bigger

> most of modern Kansas was acquired by the United States as part of the Louisiana Purchase. Southwest Kansas, however, was still a part of Spain, Mexico, and the Republic of Texas until the conclusion of the Mexican–American War in 1848, when these lands were ceded to the United States. From 1812 to 1821, Kansas was part of the Missouri Territory. The Santa Fe Trail traversed Kansas from 1821 to 1880, transporting manufactured goods from Missouri and silver and furs from Santa Fe, New Mexico. Wagon ruts from the trail are still visible in the prairie today.
doesn't sound as really as nj at all

Confederations have individual units with legislative sovereignty. USA was actually more like a confederation before the civil war, which made the central government stronger and individual states weaker. Though it has been a federation since the founding of the federal republic. Before that they had a more functional confederation, with each ex-colony in rebellion having their own legislatures that in turn signed treaties that abolished their sovereignity to the central government, forming the USA.

Now they are nowhere near confederation, though states still retain a certain degree of autonomy, however its limited to sectors which are of little consequence to the central government.

what are the best cantons in switzerland?

Depending on how you want to cut it we have countries, constituencies, councils, and counties, which all have governing power. Most counties have no power though, except for some cities which have elected mayors like London. Also England has no devolved parliament and thus no governing power independent of the national parliament.

Then you've got crown dependencies and overseas territories too.

Being part of the original 13 doesn't make you any more American than any of the additional states, just earlier.

That's just so radically different from how it is here. Most legislation is made at a federal level, with very few autonomy given to states on important aspects of legislation and sometimes even administration. And yet both are federal republics?

>What are municipalities

The answer to that is actually very simple.
Federal republics is a phrase which doesn't really describe a state or its functions in any way except in legal terms. The law of the country calls itself a unitary state or federal republic. But there is no real distinction beyond the wording of the law. Some unitary states have a tonnes of local autonomy and some federal republics are extremely centralized.

Provincias

We have many different names:
Cities of Federal importance - Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Sevastopol
One autonomous region(jews live there)
Nine regions called Кpaй(pronounced as "cry")
Forty six Oblast'(same as states of the US)
Four autonomous okrug(same as the autonomous region)
Twenty two republics(each of them has it's own president)

What the fuck is going on in Russia?

Methodical annexation of its neighbors.

>jewish autonomous oblast
>almost no jews

Oy vey shut it down
They even have this funny LGBT flag

What's wrong?

Województwa (voivodeships)

Our states don't have like 120 municipalities though.

Régions
Although we aint a federal state

Kommunur (communes)

Holy fuck,it's to be expected actualy because of size

Fylke/fylkeskommune, counties in English.

We have regions that have their own councils. Regions include several municipalities on local level. Both have some economic freedom, but in general most of the decisions are meade in national parliament and regions doesn't have nearly as much freedom as states in usa for example.

Mexico state have 125.

Regions (maakunta). Until 2009 we had provinces (lääni).

What in the fuck?

prefectures

also we had provinces before the modernization

we r cavman urgh

Provinces

Oaxaca has fucking 570

I have no idea what they are called but here they are.

Région>Département>Ville
Actual subdivision inherited from the Révolution. Before that there were Provinces and Diocese which sometimes overlap, sometimes not. Thing it they were based on cultural boundaries and parish influence. Also, an other fun fact they sometimes had very differents language.

Here is the map of the Ancien Régime Provinces

Regions.

And here a map of the Départements after the Révolution.

>tfw we will never walk alone again

t. Tours

Shires in England and home nations in the UK

Is this the land of the infamous finnish shitposters ?

What the fuck really?
Here in Baja we only have 5.

都(to, "metropolis")
道(dō, "circuit" or "territory")
府(fu, urban prefectures)
県(ken, prefectures)

Is it true that there are some where the military run the entire location, and people need to get special permits to move around. I read something about Chukotka Autonomous Okrug being like that on a travel blog, but I can't find more information.

Yes, there are forty of those. They are mostly industrial and research centres.

There are cities and some isolated compounds, military bases or border areas like that, but not entire regions.
Some regions used to be restricted in Soviet times, but not anymore.
I guess you read up on one of the closed cities - they have large civilian population, but are locked by military. Seversk is the largest one with some 100k population, it essentially borders my city and even I never been there and probably never will be able to.

>municipalet

Cantons

Thanks, that's pretty interesting.

why

Come home Finnish man

>Région>Département>Ville
It's actually Région>Département>Canton>Commune

Counting region de ñuble?

Regions, then departments

Departamentos, i think we copied that from France

counties

They are generally just called "federal subjects"

Landskap (historical and serve no actual administrative purpose but people still refer to them) > Län > Landsting > Kommun > Socknen

Counties

If you're referring to England, Scotland, Wales, etc. then they're countries.

>Wales
>country

>cette bretagne

provinces and territories as mentioned + counties/municipal districts

Lands

>lakeland
>smoky lake
>two hills
>clearwater
>greenview
>northern lights
>east peace
>opportunity
>big lakes
>rocky view
>parkland
>wood buffalo
why are new worlders so fucking awful at naming things?

it’s the land with the high homicide rate.

perifereies (prefectures)

Thank GOD I don't live in the Midw*st

Oblast

Woo-hoo, it's the other Kansasbro

You only have 10 counties less than us so whats wrong with the midwest

Oh hey, there are like 3 of us on int

>oblivious squarelets

Bundesland, Freie Stadt or Freistaat.

Confederate States, Free Cities or Free States.

Depends if it is Bavaria (We are fREEE),
City states or regular states.

Sounds really edgy and southern american and therefore racist.

Nice.

Doesn't your country have rectangular shapes like Northern Territory

Federalism a shit

>North Australia Proclaimed
>Queen revokes it
>Colony of Victoria
>Queen doesn't revokes it
That's kinda funny