So he's the gold standard in regard to mature comics and the rest is either kiddie stuff or pretentious hipster carp...

So he's the gold standard in regard to mature comics and the rest is either kiddie stuff or pretentious hipster carp like BLACK HOLE ?

"Mature" comics have been coming out in Japan and yuropooristan for decades with quality as high or higher than anything Moore ever did and without having to resort to fish rape. OK, Japan definitely has fish rape, but still...

Nice, diversifying the meme eh.

I've yet to read a manga that's not pseudo intellectual bs. Oh look, battle angel alita is quoting Nietzsche...lol

Unlike most of you I have a life so I can't post on the old threads once I get home. I just like to keep the discussion going.

Tell me. What comic is as good as watchmen or from hell.

So much of a life that you have made the same boring thread topic every day despite getting less than 30 replies each time. Nobody cares about Black Hole or your opinion about it

I'm sure a lot of that is because shit gets lost in translation.

A Contract with God, Bone, The Incal, The Airtight Garage, Hellboy, American Splendor, etc.
I can go on.

I've never read any of that manga with pseudo-intellectual bullshit. I just stick to moe slice-of-life and generic SJ manga. May you please recommend me some of this kind of manga? Pls no Urasawa.

>battle angel alita

You realize that shit is the Japanese equivalent of Marvel/DC/Image, right?

Try reading something that's actually well written.

>this fish rape comic sure is a load of carp

Eisner and Pekar are shit.

Moore doesn't even want you reading his shite. He's want you to read these.

What's amazing about Moore right now is that in the series of variants depicting various Lovecraftian monsters and entities...he's using his OC version of Nyarlathotep and it completely works.

Thanks
Battle angel alita akira death note full metal alchemists...
Like what? A friend recommended it to me saying its the best story ever written...

Could be worse. He could be that one Gwenpool shitposter.

so is cinema paradiso (i hope thats the name) any good?

sigh if only i cared about lovecraft shit

Or, he could be much worse, that AoS isn't canon guy.

Cinema Purgatorio is an anthology and Moore only does the framing story.
Which was nice.

The best story of the first issue is Gillen's mad maxian Pokemon parody

>The best story of the first issue is Gillen's
must be a really shitty anthology then

Only like 2 stories knew how to pace their intros to only 5 pages.

How much framing does he do? Like decent story stuff or just like the crypt keeper setting a story up and a making a pun?

Gillen's pokemon thing was the only one that stuck in my memory from the announcement

Moore a shit.

/thread

It's more like a Twilight Zone opening.
Guy goes to weird movie theatre.
Guy sits down, watches a movie that shouldn't exist, and then decides to catch the rest of the matinee.

Cue the start of the issue.

Fuck it.
Let's do it here then.
It's only like 8 pages.

I really love the idea of Moore as the Rod Serling of the anthology

Not gonna lie, that bit with

Especially with that cheesy pompadour.

He's an absolutely incredible writer but much like Kubrick or the Beatles he also happens to be very overrated by casual audiences who frequently point to him as the only comic writer that matters aside from Stan Lee which leads to hipsters hating him.

And that's it.

poor Fatty Arbuckle

May he RIP in peace.

It's not, the Japanese are a really closed people and they really do think real superficial stuff is ultra deep.

There's a lot of really good stuff out there, but most of the "brainy" stuff is pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

The kind of hipsters that like BLACK HOLE

>running a woman over so hard she spontaneously gives birth

Moore liking Woodring has to be the least shocking thing I've learned in a while, especially since Woodring creates comics based off of "visions" he has.

Pretty much this . Japs tend towards complexity moreso than profundity in their works. Hence how labyrinthine the casts and ongoing dramas of Japanese works tend to get, yet the themes are shallow. What is only a little depth to us is enough to cover an entire work to them.

Huh, that's interesting. Do exceptions to this exist?

>Watchmen
>rips off a bunch of old timely heroes

>that pedo erotica thing
>rips off a bunch of old timey fairy tales

>League of XG
>rips off old timely fantasy characters

>current book
>rips off bunch of Lovecraft characters

Has the hack ever done anything original?

>Huh, that's interesting
Also inaccurate.

Could you explain? If those Anons are wrong, I'd like to know why.

They're using stupid examples like "hey, the japanese have those stupid long running dramas they're so bad hahaha" um...those are called soap operas over here....they're...not specific to asians. Isn't the young and the restless still fucking ruining?

Also, the majority of this board is obsessed with superheroes and a lot of posters read superhero comics exclusively so it's kind of hilarious for them to speak of profundity. I'm sure most posters on Sup Forums don't really know much about asian fiction, books, manga or movies above the entry level stuff. For movies specifically, the average Sup Forumsmrade mostly watched blockbuster movies, so...

I don't think any of them used soap operas as examples, just long running dramas. Granted, I've read a total of 3 manga and started 2 others, so I wouldn't really know if anybody here is right or wrong.

long running dramas are soap operas, user.

Also, one user said they tend more towards complexity than profundity but one of the most popular american tv shows is Lost, which is the poster boy of being too concerned with complexity and forgetting to be profound.

Not necessarily. The Sopranos and The Wire are long running dramas, and by no means would I call them soap operas.
And you still haven't told me why those Anons are wrong, you've just attacked Western works.

Your friend is an edgy emo teen.

The best manga are:
Akira (colorized version)
Sanctuary (probably the pinnacle of the medium)
Heat
Crying Freeman
Black Lagoon (not serious, but possibly the most entertaining action series ever in the medium)
Ghost In The Shell (probably the most intelligently written sci-fi in the medium)
Berserk (debatable, but it's definitely intense as fuck)
Lone Wolf and Cub
Vagabond
Hotel Harbour View
Memories
A Bride's Story
Kokou no Hito
Benkei in New York
A.D. Police

The Sopranos and The Wire are not long running drama. The Wire is not even long running.

no.

Of course exceptions exist, we aren't saying literaly everyone of Japanese descent conforms to this one mold. But the trend is undeniable. Japanese have a great ability to physically and mentally coordinate many things at once, but they lack raw intuitive. Study Japanese stuff enough and you'll be imparted with a sense of stiffness. Things feel much stiffer and jerkier on the whole. The level of detail however, and in illustrative terms the linework, is astounding.

The Sopranos ran for 8 years, the Wire for 6. How is that not long running?

6 years isn't long running for a tv show. 12+ is. They also have a smaller number of episodes per season.

Could you recommend some of those works that break the mould? Not that I doubt you, I'm just curious as to what they are.

Charley's War
Fury MAX My War Gone By
Planetary
Conan volume 1 (Dark Horse)
Punisher MAX (Ennis run)
All Star Superman
The Dark Knight Returns
Daredevil Born Again
The Incal
The Airtight Garage
Silver Surfer Requiem
Andre the Giant Life and Legend
Andre the Giant Closer to Heaven
Godzilla In Hell
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
Aldebaran
Antares
Betelgeuse
Crusade
Largo Winch
I.R.$.
Chandler Red Tide
Nexus
Badger
Scout
Mister X
Electropolis
Terminal City
Button Man
Grimjack
American Flagg!
Time2
Foolkiller
Sensational She-Hulk
Stray Toasters
Ginger Fox
Ronin
Hard Boiled
Mesmo Delivery
Coutoo
Julius Corentin Acquefacques, Prisoner of dreams
Vic and Blood
Lone Sloane
Margot
Long John Silver
Hitman
Blueberry
Cherry Poptart
Little Annie Fanny
Blazing Combat
Batman Year One
Hard Boiled
Morrison's Animal Man
Morrison's Doom Patrol

Add Lady Snowblood to that.

The Sandman

Some of these examples are laughable.

Like what?

>Morrison's Animal Man
>Morrison's Doom Patrol
Nice try Grant.

Godzilla in Hell, Silver Surfer Requiem, Hard Boiled, Punisher Max, She-hulk...

Steel Ball Run
Beserk
Samurai Champloo
Zetman
Anything by Go Nagai
Fist of the Blue Sky
Cyborg 009
The 2000 Astro Boy
The Big O (basically Batman TAS with Cowboy Bebop elements)

That's a different kettle of fish. Successful products from any demographic will tend to represent the centre of its bellcurves.

That said, for a Shonen manga that centres on battles, shenanigans, women with big tits and so on, One Piece feels very western compared to its compatriots. Once you become familiar with the work the japonisms will seem obvious, but there's a resounding quality to the work that, if not un-Japanese of course, is certainly less central to the condition.

Shigeru Mizuki's Showa series
Osama Tezuka's Buddha, and Pheonix

From Hell?

You have shit taste then.

>Ghost In The Shell (probably the most intelligently written sci-fi in the medium)
I thought it had terrible dialogue, poor characterisation, crowded shitty art, bad panel layout, jeuvenile presentation of women and sex and dull political dialogue. Just generally a pain to read all the way through. Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the film did everything 1000x better and cleaned up most of the schlock to make something quite thought provoking.

Kubrick is a perfect comparison with their place in the history of the medium and their extreme focus on tight form/structure

Not same user, but stuff like The World Is Mine is pretty much the japanese Watchmen, in that it came as a response to an era (in this case, it came at the peak of the japanese dark ages of comics). Ugly and bizarre and disgusting and non-sensical, but many big authors in Japan look at it like you'd look at Watchmen in America, as a mold-breaking trend-defying statement.

Then there's the indie series like God's Child that are pretty much as odd and avant-garde as indies get. Or The Music of Marie.

If you want some recommendations of less known, odder works, I can give some.

Not that guy, but I wouldn't mind recommendations.