Alien evolution and origin

Did Alien Covenant help clarify questions left in Prometheus/the relation to the first Alien?

I think Alien Covenant presented a clearer view in regards to the alien's origin though its also clear that the sequels will likely expand on what was introduced in Covenant before we eventually end up at Alien.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i564eptofhw
youtu.be/kYvNiKwWvhk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This and Prometheus add so many things that don't even need to be.

No one cared about where the Aliens came from before.

>Did Alien Covenant help clarify questions left in Prometheus/the relation to the first Alien?

It was an ok movie, but it answered questions that nobody really had.

>prometheus
>okay so xenomorphs are probably some type of mutation or refinement of the process of Engineers genetically engineering biological weapons and attempting to play god

>covenant
>but wait let me explain EXACTLY what happened, actually the xenomorph is a result of an insane robot attempting to play god with the engineers weapons

and it still doesn't explain how an engineer-piloted ship full of david's eggs ended up crash landed on LV-426

I guess we'll have to wait for Prometheus 3 to see that part.

>No one cared about where the Aliens came from before.
This.
I liked it before when the Alien was just sort of a personification of Death, the cruelty of nature, and the "cosmic horror" that the universe doesn't revolve around earth, and there's shit out there that you cant imagine.

yes

>I liked it before when the Alien was just sort of a personification of Death, the cruelty of nature, and the "cosmic horror" that the universe doesn't revolve around earth, and there's shit out there that you cant imagine.

I didn't even think of it in terms of anything that complex because frankly, they aren't that scary.

Like, yeah, I wouldn't want to fight one on one with one, but that applies to tigers and wolves and shit on earth too, and I don't think they're some cosmic horror that's impossible to imagine.

Aliens are little more than horrific space bugs. Bad if you come across them on your own but any space faring society shouldn't consider them any real threat in the grand scheme of things. I'd be much more afraid of things like the Borg, Daleks, The Thing, ect.

>Roughly the size of a bird's egg

What kind of bird egg?

That's why Aliens fucked up the series.
The Xeno is supposed to be this cosmic horror thing, and it was on the first movie, then Aliens turned them into space bugs, and action hungry autists like you think it's like that.
Fuck James Cameron

autists always cared

>The Xeno is supposed to be this cosmic horror thing, and it was on the first movie

What's really so cosmic horror about a parasite?

Like, even if you restrict it to just Alien, it's just a creature that is a big parasitoid. You have things on earth that do the whole larval stage gestating inside another organism trick. You find that shit here on earth, it's not that special even if you only look at Alien. Ash's "Perfect Organism" bullshit is just hyperbole, the alien even just by what's displayed in Alien, only is a threat to some space truckers with the help of a saboteur.

Minus the saboteur and having some more competent people, the Alien would never stand a chance. I mean, hell, if Ash wasn't there, there's a good likely hood the Alien never even gets to the ship. Kane stays outside, gets chestbursted, they take off and say fuck the planet and that it in fact was a warning. Space Truckers would have had this thing beat if the company didn't put in a plant.

The Thing qualifies far more in what you're talking about, works in a far more mysterious and menacing way.

I played the AVP2 video game long before I ever saw an Alien movie so for me, Aliens, AVP and now Prometheus and Covenant are the superior movies because they best reflect my childhood experiences.

Someone who watched the original Alien films first will have a different opinion I would assume.

It's meant to show some perspective.
That the universe doesn't care about humans and that there are things out there that see us the same way wasps see caterpillars.
The xenomorph represents the uncaring coldness of the universe.

But did it clarify the Bonus situation.

It's supposed to show how we don't matter in the Universe. beat me to it

Complete Pottery

Yeah, but who doesn't know that already? It's like thinking the air cares about you, or that the carbon atoms in your pencil care. It seems like a sort of horror that only works if you thought the oxygen in the air that's keeping you alive does it specifically because it loves you, not because it's just going a chemical reaction.

It was 1979, the world grew incredibly cynic since then

Religion is still popular.

How does the xenomorphic show that more then tigers, bears or any other hostile animal that doesn't give a shit about humans?

The original Alien is massively overrated. It doesn't hold up nearly as well as The Thing or The Blob. An Alien looks cool, but isn't psychologically frightening. It's just a tall black guy with a weird head.

The facehugger and chestburster are genuinely disgusting and terrifying ideas. The actual alien is just a generic movie monster, like a raptor or serial killer. Aliens didn't "turn them into bugs". They already were just stupid bugs that can only overpowered the unprepared and unarmed.

A tiger or a bear wants to kill you and/or eat you.
That is understandable.

Instead, here is an egg that launches a facehugger that lays an embryo inside of you, lets you live until the embryo is grown and it bursts out from your chest.

It's insect rape. Cold and uncaring.

Opinions are like farts, man.

>An Alien looks cool, but isn't psychologically frightening. It's just a tall black guy with a weird head.

Now I know why walking around Chicago is so scary

So it's just a vastly inferior and less efficient disease?

In that case AIDS and Ebola are far more "cosmic horror" then a xenomorph is. At least the former can't simply be shot or literally outsmarted.

Why were the protomorphs bulletproof as juveniles but vulnerable when grown?

What's cosmic about AIDS or Ebola?
Last time I checked, they didn't come from outer space.

what a clusterfuck
it should've been separated from the xenomorph, some weapon the engineers tried to use against the space jockey wich would still be an aelephant and that's it

Nobody could hit the juveniles besides from some stray bullets and the adult took an entire magazine from close-range to kill so it seems like they're just really strong but not invulnerable.

>here is an egg that launches a facehugger that lays an embryo inside of you, lets you live until the embryo is grown and it bursts out from your chest.

>youtube.com/watch?v=i564eptofhw

So an 8 foot version of this.

I was always interested. Now it's revealed as 'goo' + an android, I'm not at all interested.

now i want a facehugger to go nuts in an aids colony

And this would not scare you at all?

Everybody hates Cazadores.

>hey guys, I just came to the revelation that maybe god doesn't exist, or at least doesn't really give a shit what happens to us

>WOWWWW YOU ARE A FUCKING RETARD BECAUSE I ALREADY KNEW THAT

Shouldn't you just be happy that other people are coming to the truth, rather than having a pissing contest about who knew it first?

Like, I'm happy to be an atheist, but you don't need to be a douchebag about it.

Is the Alien franchise the epitome of "too many Cooks"?

the epitome of "too many cooks" was family sitcom intro sequences.

you're probably too young to remember those

youtu.be/kYvNiKwWvhk

despite maybe making a remark to that dumb comedy central skit, this has nothing to do with what i said

If you were making a reference to the old adage "too many cooks spoil the broth" then you're still incorrect.

Prometheus was Ridley Scott's baby, he was allowed to write anything he wanted, he did it all by himself, and it still turned out to be shit.

I dont remember Ridley having any control over Aliens, 3 and 4

also, Prometheus and Covenant are not solely the work of Ridley alone

Complete and utter bullshit. Jesus, you guys dont even hide your newfaggory anymore

What about the bonus situation?

>but isn't psychologically frightening.

In the original cut the Alien glued Dallas to the wall and trapped him into his saliva, making him a cocoon, Dallas was then left to be slowly melted alive and turned into nourishment for the Xenomorph's egg, that's not frightening to you?

The original Alien does have a terrifying design, maybe the Xeno itself is not as terrifying as the blob as it still has some resemblance of a humanoid shape, but it's still eerie

I'm really not hyped to see Covenant but at the same time I wanna see it for what it brings into the Alien lore

Hell, I didn't care at all about the origins of the Alien, but now that Prometheus started it, even though I didn't like Prometheus, I just wanna know how all of this unfolds

Is it worth it to see it ?
Pretty sure I'll end up with more questions but I want to know what's Ridley's vision of the origins of the Alien

Does the Alien needs to eat? Its important.

I enjoyed the movie

Jew from Hollywood here.
The alien is older than the engineers and the source of the black goo, David just reverse engineered them from the black goo.

That's why they kept that shit in those egg like vases, in the room with the alien relief on the wall.
Don't tell anybody though.

>I should be frightened by what's on the cutting room floor

Image just makes me think the Alien stuff should have been cut from covenant and they just kept it as the Neomorph.

It would have been better if each of Ridley's films dealt with a different alien. Alien is the Xenomorph film. Prometheus is the Deacon film and Covenant should have been the Neomorph film. Having every film try and shoehorn in something Xenomorph related has been nothing but detrimental.

>Watching the series in order would be watching the evolution of the xenomorph with each film being a specific stage

It's almost like he wanted to do that but Fox made him throw the Xenomorph in because Prometheus wasn't so popular

Scott made some weird create choices and there are still plenty of questions but the movie makes more sense than Prometheus did and I have a better sense of what Scott is building towards. Also he managed to make the alien somewhat more creepy again

At least post a readable picture.

Why was the thing that burst out of the captain a tiny xenomorph instead of the usual chestburster?

Cameron merely saw it through and that is glorious. These new films don't see anything through.

This is an 18+ board.

This is a child saying, What scares you doesn't scare me because I am aware of the thing that scared you and it is old and boring now.

>prometheus
>okay so xenomorphs are probably some type of mutation or refinement of the process of Engineers genetically engineering biological weapons and attempting to play god

>covenant
>but wait let me explain EXACTLY what happened, actually the xenomorph is a result of an insane robot attempting to play god with the engineers weapons

Both are true. The xeno's are the Engineer's ultimate weapon and David figured out how to recreate them.

>it still doesn't explain how an engineer-piloted ship full of david's eggs ended up crash landed on LV-426

It could just be a random Engineer ship on LV-426 unrelated to David. In fact, I hope Ridley does not tie us back into the Alien storyline at all just to piss off capeshitters.

interesting theory

I prefer the unknown ancient evil that's older than even the engineers explaination from destroying angels.

Seems like the new movies are killing all the mystery of the xenos & engineers. Plus the fossilized engineer in alien was obviously not some giant bald guy wearing a suit.

Shandyfication

ITT: Alien sequels are only allowed to ape the first two films, and revealing the mystery is tantamount to heresy

an african or european swallow

Bugged me too (because it looked kind of silly), but...maybe David still has to refine the Xenos further? He hasn't arrived a queen yet, either...

you know this picture makes it look like this franchise has so much potential to be an uber scary sci fi alien absorb-everything-and-spread monster thing in the same vein as the Zerg or the Thing, but Prometheus and Covenant just had to drop the ball.

Why, Ridley?