This is an objectively bad episode of Black Mirror. In a series about showing the dark side of technology...

This is an objectively bad episode of Black Mirror. In a series about showing the dark side of technology, it utterly fails to hold up the "black mirror" so to speak. There's one throwaway line about possibly becoming desensitized to immortality, which is never further explored. It's also revealed that you can opt out of the "afterlife" at any time.

The only reason this episode is so lauded is because it features a biracial lesbian relationship. That's it. It's a gay romantic drama with an unequivocally happy ending. This is Black Mirror for people who don't like Black Mirror.

Are you forced to poop and pee when you're imprisoned in San Junipero, or can you tick those on or off as options?

The black chick was basically guilted into staying and she's already lived a full life. I see her opting out eventually.

I wonder where you claim our house? It must have different servers or something to manage over crowding.

Shit show

its a cute story and I enjoyed watching it but yea it has no place in Black Mirror and I have no idea why they put it in there. But season 3 was crap anyways so i was just happy to have something interesting to watch.

It depends on your outlook on life and whether you believe in a soul or not. I'm an atheist, and I think most atheists just see digital afterlife as a good thing, but people who believe in a soul and an afterlife see it as their souls getting trapped in a computer or something, maybe.

This is all pretty neat, because depending on your stance on the existence of a soul you can walk away from this episode with completely opposing opinions on the ending that are totally obvious to yourself.

What I think you're missing is that even if there's a digital copy of your mind in a computer, your consciousness has ceased. Those "immortals" aren't real people. They're facsimiles.

I still find the ending terrifying. I guess its somewhat a more positive ending than most episodes but still, the ending scene was always disturbing to me.

> Countdown for the reddit internet defense force
> Muh pol poster
> Muh best episode of the serie

The creator himself came out after the episode and confirmed that the uploads were the originals and not just copies.

>The creator himself came out after the episode and confirmed that the uploads were the originals and not just copies.
Unless the "upload" is an actual living brain in a jar, then it's a copy in one way or another

It's not unequivocally happy by any means. The black one went against her fundamental principles in the end, in making her choice she sacrificed a huge part of who she was

It's not a positive ending.
Everyone in the simulation is living a lie. They all know it isn't real. They are refusing to move on and accept that death is a part of life.
The song choice is perfect too.

If you think it's a happy ending you are unironically dumb.

>it isn't real

The people in the simulation are real. What difference does it make if the world around them is made of atoms or bits?

Yep, thought this episode was terrifying. Reducing something that's supposed to be beautiful and transcendent to basically a server farm running a game. The last shot of the servers and OOOH BABY HEAVEN IS A PLACE ON EARTH was really disturbing.

It's not even actually them because there's no persistence, it's code approximating the brain's functioning networks. The people are still dead.

This episode actually got me thinking about progressives' attitudes towards life. The fact that this story is supposed to be a happy one is more fucked up than the story itself.

Because they know they're living in a simulation. They know it isn't real.

It's like how you could find a tranny hot until I tell you it's really a dude with fake tits and makeup.

What's the difference?

What does it mean for something not to be real though? Reality is what we perceive through our senses. If you hold an ice cube in your hand, you're aware of it being cold and the sensation of it numbing your fingers and slowly melting. If this experience is perfectly replicated in the simulation, how is one more real than the other? What does it matter? And again, the people are real, so the conversations and relationships you have with them are real.

>It's like how you could find a tranny hot until I tell you it's really a dude with fake tits and makeup.
It's more like finding out she had some magic surgery that replaced her chromosomes and gave her real female genitalia and reproductive organs.

Perception.

Yeah, this thread just got dropworthy.
Have fun pontificating about philosophical issues centuries-solved, retards.