Movies too smart

tasteofcinema.com/2015/15-complex-movies-from-this-century-that-were-too-smart-for-mainstream-audiences/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Cloud Atlas was was ruined mainly by 3 things
>Halley Berry
>Stupid fucking future language
>helley Berry speaking that stupid fucking future language

>tfw to smart to make money

>movies
>smart
Lol no. Movies are incapable of being smart. They can be pretentious but if a movie ever makes you think, you're probably a brainlet.

you are limited

>tfw you can't find really highly intellectual and complex movies

Most of the time it is just complete ass pulls to make them seem, "smart". Like 99.999% of the "smartest man in the room" type movies. The problem is that the author can't make a character smarter than himself.

Most movies have dialog that literally tries to give you an update of events that have already happened in the movie that you have seen first hand had you actually been looking at the screen. Most of the time this takes the form of the stupid character or a character who just arrived and now needs to be retold or updated on what has happened. It is fucking annoying as shit.

>Cloud Atlas
>too intelligent
"No"

>The problem is that the author can't make a character smarter than himself
So why do you all despise Mikhail Hanuke

>Mikhail Hanuke

Never heard of him or any of his movies. Seems they are all in genres I don't really watch. Only Funny Games, Code Unknown, Time of the Wolf, and Cache look like ones I might watch. Though, which version of Funny Games is best? I bet the 1997 one. The rest of his lineup look like stuff I couldn't stomach.

>tfw the only flim that slaked my intelectual curiostity in the past 10 years was Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice directed by Zach Snyder

Is BvS on the list? If not, it should be

"complex" movies are usually shit

there are, however, plenty of movies that requires intelligence to fully appreciate, but not to understand

>tfw Barry Lyndon is deep and beautiful, but boring and slow as shit

it is good boring, not bad boring. Stop being a brainlet.

>it is good boring, not bad boring

I suppose it is great if your goal is to be bored while watching a movie.

barry lyndon is a good example of a simple, well-executed film with a romantic and human story that plebs may not enjoy because there aren't enough twists or "deep" exposition that make them feel smart for watching it

you can tell someone is not intelligent if film is the first place they look for a challenge to prove their intelligence

art doesn't have to be entertaining.
go play video games or watch fast and furious

BL is deep though. Unfortunately, it is also boring. "Deep" is deep in meaning, not deep in intelligence.

Every Snyder film besides the owls film (the only one brainlets like)

How much do you get paid?

you have reached the limit of irony for today
try again tomorro

>implying Legend of the Guardians wasn't kino
bruh

Legend of the Guardians is, unironically, his best film

BvS

Batman vs superman

Unironically this.

Batman v Superman definitely. a future cult classic

So this is why Hillary lost?

>movies too intelligent for manbabies
>and how they are to blame for women unable to achieve their dreams

Is BvS the ultimate cut on this list?

it's supposed to be boring, the european aristocratic class collapsed from within due to boredom. it's a commentary on machiavelli more than anything.

To be able to follow every split in the timeline, you have to be 100% autistic, like Rain Man tier autism.
>inb4 "Heh brainlet pshhh nothin personal*

No need to pretend on an annonymous chat room

I saw the list. I personally think that some were made too smart for their own good. It would've been a lot better if they took a time & gave a thought o how the audiences were going to react to their product. After all, a film needs to take in many kinds of ppl, & furthermore, it needs to have mass appeal. A filmmaker & ppl around them just can't pretend they are like sick painters or musicians that has a voice of the time cuz it costs helluvu a lot of money Y'know ???? (笑´・艸・)

You keep implying boring is bad. You are literally too dumb to watch kino.

What place is BvS?

Where is Batman V Superman?

Weeell ,,,, it's a flick, user !!!

>The Mast-
>it's on the list
I am impresssed

ive seen something like that somewhere else kek. thats just a retarded excuse for why their shitty movie didnt break even

also the source material was complete garbage. cant polish a turd

>it's supposed to be boring
how fucking convenient. ill make the shittiest movie imaginable, and when people criticize it, ill just say it was supposed to be this way because its a commentary on shitty movies. wheres my billion dollar?

>You keep implying boring is bad.
kek

Is this going to be the new thing now when shit bombs hard and critics rip it apart?

>Why Pixels was too smart for audiences
>The deep and meaningful themes of Ghostbusters 2016
>Top 15 movies "bombs" that were too smart for audiences

Funny how Primer is always brought up in discussions like this, when it's just a prime (heh) example of exactly that. It's unnecessary complicated just for the sake of being a "hard to get" movie.

People are not smart enough for Cloud Atlas, Shutter Island, and Amores Perros

Primer was made to be "hard to get," because there was nothing to "get." It was just made to be confusing, that audience should be as disoriented as the characters.

>stating the very reason I posted that as though you didn't know that was the reason it was posted

I guess I should have added some emoticons or something to dumb down my post a bit.

I really don't understand how Shutter Island is too smart for anyone. It was a good movie, but the climax of the film explains everything very clearly; whats hard to understand?

if you wanna laugh some more, read the comments on the site

People didn't get Cloud Atlas?

Really?

A place beyond the pines isn't really that complex, I think it's pretty straightforward. It wasn't shilled enough so normies haven't seen it, I'm sure that with proper marketing it would be up there with all the good movies. I just happened to watch it because I have a mancrush on Gosling.

It was a very good movie, though.

>that was the reason it was posted
Sure it was.

>Under the Skin
WOAH DUDE LMAO SHES LIKE AN ALIEN, BUT SHE'S ALSO LIKE AN ALIEN, YOU KNOW? LIKE SHE'S SO ALONE AND JUST WANTS TO BE HUMAN HAHAHA WOAH TOO SMART FOR ME

that movie was film school project tier bullshit

It was worth seeing to see scarlet naked.

Her tits are phenomenal. Shame the movie was too smart for me, though.

>blockbusters that bombed so plz buy the dvd or digital copy or cable buy the movie rights plz and repeat showings plz

no it wasn't. the entire third act was slow, lacked depth and was pretty cliche.
it could have been like Hell or High Water had it not tried to reach across generations and force a theme of redemption and shame.

Like Troll 2

Every dumb ass high schooler loved Sucker Punch, 300 and Watchmen

cache is really good.

why are people so dumb bros

1) batman v superman

had a couple good actos, but hell or high water was a snooze. really boring movie with lazy, low-brow theme.

anyone else think upstream color was garbage?

Let's be honest for once, The Master is fucking shit.

Sucker Punch is probably the worst film ever made. Seriously, its the worst trash I've ever seen, and I like Troma movies.

seriously they could've just titled the article this.

>tfw when too smart to make money and the studio gives you no advertising budget.

>people disliking something i like validates me

wew

Are you retarded? The entire post is literally about that specifically.

>Shutter Island

my mom loves this shit, and she watches law and order svu ritually

>Article written for """"intelligent"""" moviegoers
>Has to explain what 'complex' means

Wasn't Shutter Island loved by mainstream audiences?
Cloud Atlas is racist.
Under the Skin is shit.
Enemy is Eraserhead.
Mulholland Drive is mainstream and not that great.

How is Cloud Atlas racist, aside from the person who wrote it?

>the master
>too smart

ummm don't think so sweetie

If it was a one hit wonder by some never again heard from director, I could see your point. Kubrick never had problems pacing a movie, so the slow final hour or so is entirely deliberate. The first two hours move along at a reasonable clip, until Barry eventually climbs to where he thinks he wants to be. Kubrick gave himself 3+ hours so he could drag the viewer through that final stage of his life, letting them share his sense of boredom and longing for his old adventures, rather than just rushing through the series of misfortunes that lead to his return Ireland to keep plebs interested.

Halle Berry and Hugo Weaving were made up to look Asian.

>Mulholland Dr.
>There is no clear explanation given in the film’s conclusion about what is real and what is a dream, instead the ending is purposefully left open for interpretation.
If you did not understand the dream/reality structure, you did not understand the film.

i enjoyed it. i even though halle berry was adequate enough and i'm no huge tom hanks fan either

but that future language was awful and that's the true true!

No. I was defending the film for it being deliberately confusing rather than complex, and it does not pretend to be "intellectual". You, on the other hand, accused the film of trying to belittle the audience by rahashing a supposedly "confusing" narrative, which you, being such an intelligent user, are obviously impervious to.

Can you take these gifs back whatever garbage twitter account or blog/article you found them? Even if you're ironically shitposting we don't need you shitting up this board anymore.

Hey man, you ain't speakah tha true true. The post-apocalyptic future with Tom Hanks and company was the best part of the movie. I hated all the crap with futuristic Korea, especially when it descended into retarded action sequences.

how is that racist? Is Tropic Thunder racist then?

>Sup Forumsedittors are too young to know about all the classics that were financial failures at the start

Doona Bae was made up to look white.

Missed that part, huh?

Every race could be played, potentially, by any actor. They even gender-swapped, too. And in the future, the salvation of humanity was inspired by Asians and even further in the future, white people lived as primitives and savages, whereas darker-skinned people had advanced tech and civilization.

But yeah, it was completely racist. Such a backwards film.

Douche.

That's not true true. To much liberal bullshit shit

I didn't actually watch the movie.
It's still racist.

Actually that myth is busted, you can polish a turd

youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI

>tfw to smart for solvency

>Shutter Island
literally the last 20 minutes are spent explaining the plot twist
what is there not to get

Cloud Atlas was brutally bad. It doesn't matter that it had some good ideas and good parts, it's a bad film that makes next to no sense and has multiple eye-rollingly stupid scenes. At best it's an interesting novelty.

Was Enemy a thinking man's film or was it pretentious?

>doesn't get what's not to get

>"brainlet"
>translation: anyone smarter than me

I also was surprised by how much I enjoyed that movie.

Taste of Cinema is a bad film website.

I wouldn't say that the movies are too "smart", I'd say people are just that fucking dumb.

The great thing about the ending of that film is that I didn't want to believe that he was mad and that there wasn't a conspiracy despite it being all laid out for you and explained.

You get sucked into the madness.

> too smart to win

yeah, only trying to appeal to democrats in the bigger cities sure was smart.

>memento and pulp fiction are brilliant and original story telling
>people are too stupid to understand Shutter Island
>People who disliked Cloud Atlas didnt understand it

The only thing correct about this article is that Synecdoche, New York is brilliant and that a pleb wouldnt get halfway through it. Most would turn it off when they get to the burning house for the first time.

they run out of ideas, but the authors are mostly patrician