RIP epics

>Conan remake
>Exodus: Gods and kings
>Gods of Egypt
>Ben-Hur
>Warcraft
>King Arthur: Legend of the sword

Rip epic hero historical/mythology films. You were my favorite genre, but now all that's produced for years has been shit and marvel quip kino is now seen as less generic and people now dread going to see these films rather than expecting anticipating them with joy. F.

Will it ever recover?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BDNu76OJYX0
youtu.be/VL_jEzqyyPE?t=11m17s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

not in the way classics like cleopatra were shot, with thousands of extras and costume and set design.

you can thank lotr for killing the genre by making audience expectation too high and also forcing everyone to use cgi for anything.

the epic is about showing the hero's journey, but modern society has deemed those themes to be too sexist and racist and patriarchal, so instead you get corporate sludge, racial quotas, and gay sex, because remember love is PURELY about physical sex and nothing else, romance is sexist after all and reinforces negative stereotypes, women want to be heroes too user!

If you didn't see the great wall in theaters you are part of the problem

don't lose hope user it only takes one good director to do it well and it will come back. he isn't 100% but ridley scott around alien all in camera, a director with that passion could do it

lol dude its 2017 nobody cares about that kind of shit grandad.

kill me

but it looks like shit, is it too hard to expect a 7/10 epic that I can go and watch? I mean really now.

>you will never watch an historical epic about Constantine XI and the fall of Constantinople

I liked the Conan remake, but it didn't feel like a proper epic like the original. More like a generic fantasy action movie. It pulled that style off pretty well though.

That's basically the problem with the rest of the movies you listed. They focus too much on the action and the spectacle, they don't have the grandiose sprawling feel of a true epic. They don't have any soul.

I'm not too broken up about not giving the Turks a movie to wank over like the Arabs do Kingdom of Heaven.

was kingdom of heaven the last good epic? clash of the titans was good also.

what we really need is a racially pure epic telling of the first crusade, don't even cast any sand niggers (don't want to give them jobs as it pushes down the average wage) just hire more white folk and crudely brown them up

>clash of the titans good
I disagree. That was a typical case of not being able to feel sprawling or epic as this guy said:because of too much CGI and just bad worldbuilding

The small screen might have some hope. Maybe there is a small chance the Witcher show on Netflix wont suck. And Game of Thrones was good while it followed the books.

>tfw every Roman story is about Caesar
>tfw no Marius and Sulla epic

Spartacus had Crassus crushing rebel scum

Kingdom of Heaven sucked

They just need to do a telling without any kind of ridiculous apologist bent. Perhaps the most ridiculous falsehood in the movie was Scott trying to make Saladin look like a tolerant Muslim who respected Christianity. That insipid scene where he picks a cross up off the floor and puts it back on the mantel stands in such stark contrast to his actual historical treatment of Christian icons as to be insulting to anyone who actually knows their history. The real Saladin would not have pissed on the cross to put it out if it were on fire. The real Saladin tore the relics from the Christian holy places and dragged them through the streets in triumph, including the sacred True Cross.

Fuck Ridley Scott.

good. swords are boring unless they're lightsabers.

Gladiator exists.

not user who posted it but i liked it i thought it stood up pretty well, well shot good score great art design
ye saladin was shown to be more tolerant than he was in real life, a good film would be between saladin and richard lionheart those two had great respect for each other and the dynamic between them with great battles could be a great epic

>tfw nothing will be as hype as this anymore
youtube.com/watch?v=BDNu76OJYX0

>mfw listening to the revolutions podcast about the french revolution, hearing the intro music and picturing a movie where the estates of the nobles are being stormed
Not really hero-kino, but I do want it, with it eventually transitioning to Napoleon taking power ofc
youtu.be/VL_jEzqyyPE?t=11m17s

I enjoyed the Conan and Ben-Hur remakes

Nobody gives a fuck about Chinese history

>tfw no movie about Constantine the Great

>the epic is about showing the hero's journey, but modern society has deemed those themes to be too sexist and racist and patriarchal
correct

>women want to be heroes too user
the hero's journey is hardly limited to men though, isn't it?

>tfw King Arthur was so shit the only thing I remember about it is some guy saying "you're a big man" with CIA in the background
Fuck Guy Ritchie and his laaaaahndan gaaaangsta shit

KoH sucked because it was this preachy soapbox bullshit, where all the main characters are 21st-century-style secular humanists who are busy tipping their fedoras and gazing at their navels while talking about how religion doesn't actually matter.

disney seems so good at balancing risk with safe investment by using talented interesting directors for their movies, and yet studios like warner brothers are just so shit at this. I mean Guy Ritchie? Really? I could maybe see him making a fun stylized Robin Hood movie or something, but not fucking king Arthur. What are they thinking?