Australian perspective of KOTH

Here in Australia bogans often work shitty jobs and say it's their passion.

"I am passionate about childcare, baby sitting disabled people or hairdressing"

Despite it being a shitty job they love to say they have a passion for their work...

Hanks love of propane and his job as a crappy assistant manager seems to be a joke about this same attitude.

I don't think that Red necks and bogans are too unlike each other...

They aren't rednecks. They are just suburban texans doing suburban jobs.

Lucky, Luanne, and those guys that Khan hung out with when he dropped out of society, those were rednecks.

You sound pretty butthurt that some people are actually able to enjoy what they do.

You sound pretty miserable, actually.

>I don't think that Red necks and bogans are too unlike each other...
strewth mate
however, hank hill's no redneck
>bogans often work shitty jobs and say it's their passion.
fair dinkum? rednecks don't. they barely work at all. remember the episodes with Lucky and those guys? What they turned Kahn into? Those are rednecks.
>people with passion for their shitty jobs like childcare, eldercare, or cosmetics
those are called women, mate. sheilas you call em. luanne's one of those, if you recall
hope that cleared things up, let's go have a pint bruce.

Maybe people who work those "shitty" jobs feel it's rewarding to help people or like the social aspects of their jobs?

This. Theres a big difference between the hills and rednecks.

t. southfag.

australians on Sup Forums overcompensating never cease to annoy me

I bet you fell for the university meme. Are you doing graphic design, OP?

arent bogans more like chavs anyway

It is sort of a joke that Hank knows a ton about propane and does well in his job while also really caring about his customers, but doesn't feel any need to move beyond that and sticks with a boss who generally screws him over.

But I don't think the job itself is meant to be portrayed as total shit; Hank just has a weird attitude about the importance of the assistant manager position (literally thinks he can't go beyond that). He seems equally serious about other responsibilities he's given in the series.

Though I don't sell propane or propane accessories so what do I know

>you should hate your job if it doesn't earn you alot of money or is too frustrating for someone like me!
>Being this mad that people are in jobs they like
go fuck yourself

>Maybe people who work those "shitty" jobs feel it's rewarding to help people or like the social aspects of their jobs?

Nah. That's impossible.

>he thinks Hank is a redneck
Confirmed for being a fucking retard.

Well, hes an australian.

no, he dreams of being manager, but that's the highest he can go

but, its also proven that Hank is shit at doing stuff on his own, and would fail if he had his own propane dealership. so he just knows his limitations

There was one episode where he said something like "I'm assistant manager; I'm already on top" and another where he says something to the effect of he can see himself still working alongside Strickland 20 years in the future, so that's what I was basing that on. There are also episodes where he thinks about being manager too though, like when he tells Buck he loves him for promoting him and then gets immediately demoted.

But yeah, him thinking he's already made it when he could potentially do better does seem part of his character. He might possibly be thinking he's less qualified than he is, in some cases.

> "I am passionate about childcare, baby sitting disabled people or hairdressing"
They don't mean it. Employers won't give you those shitty jobs unless you say shit like that in the interview.

I don't know why you're talking about bogans when Hank isn't a bogan or a redneck. His job isn't exactly shitty, either: he's not raking in the big bucks, but he's making a decent living (plus Peggy probably brings in a little as well, though not much). The joke is that selling propane is a weird thing to take that much pride in. I'm from Australia as well, but this is an American show set in Texas: I don't see how your perspective as an Australian is relevant at all, when the show and character come from a place and culture that you haven't experienced, and it's not like Hank has any connection to bogans anyway.

You haven't seen much of KOTH of you think Hank isn't genuine about his love for propane and propane accessories.

I think of of the charming points of the series is that the characters are just composites of common traits of real people that you know. Hank is almost anal in how he obeys the rules, he has a very odd choice of passion, is genuinely a very nice and considerate person but is also very uncomfortable about anything sexual or romantic. Hank is a square.

I love KOTH.

The whole show revolves around jokes about them being hicks and hill billies.. His last name is short for hill billy and dales wife is a hick so her last name is hicks.

They even say it to their friends and family.

You don't actually know what a hillbilly is, do you?

W-what's wrong with graphic design??

Self brainwashing is a fucking treat, innit?

Hank is kind of a Redneck but he's nowhere close to being a hillbilly. I'd say his love of propane products is a tad over the top but it's really not that unusual for a person to find joy in their work if it becomes a career.

>childcare
>baby sitting disabled people
>hairdressing
Those don't actually sound that shitty, though.

In fact, the first two sound like jobs some women would use to satisfy their urge to nurture, instead of doing something like adopting a monkey as a surrogate baby.

>he can see himself still working alongside Strickland 20 years in the future

That's more about him seeing Strickland as a father figure because Cotton treated him like garbage his entire childhood.

Hillbillies are literally hill folk that totally removed from the rest of society.

The term originated with folks who couldn't compete or cope with the industrial revolution and fled to the Appalachian Mountains to live off the land because its the only way they could survive, and generations later they were still living like it was the late 1700's in the late 1800's.

Hillbillies kind of stopped being a thing first because prohibition made the stills their family had been running since they moved into the area lucrative enough to connect them with whoever was involved in the trade and then the War on Drugs of the 80's-now causing the US to intentionally comb through the supposedly uninhabited areas to find and eliminate pot growers.

>hill billy

You're thinking about an entirely different part of the country.

Red necks and hill billies are two different groups of people. Hill billies are woods people who live in the Appalachians and aren't called hill billies because they're retarded and don't work because the history of Appalachian people in the US is a little more complicated than that. Red necks are generally white trash from the South. And each region of the US has it's own version of white trash.

>The term originated with folks who couldn't compete or cope with the industrial revolution and fled to the Appalachian Mountains to live off the land because its the only way they could survive, and generations later they were still living like it was the late 1700's in the late 1800's.

Part of it was also distrust of the state. And that whole being treated like indentured servants by coal mining companies.

dont fret, its more about his personalityc user

hillbillies are around where I live, the whole Missouri-Arkansas-Tennessee-Louisiana area, where it's a lot more hilly. Texans are cowboys, and redneck is just generally applied to any blue-collar worker, whether from the north or south, although the south has more blue-collar jobs, so it's thrown around here more often.

>Louisiana
I meant Georgia.

>he fell for the university meme
>he didn't instead choose to live the based tradie lifestyle

kek

KEK

Fair dinkum? Don't they make sheds?

Fuck the Ozarks desu

Modern cow boys are just red necks... just a more tolerable degree of red neck.

I can still live the tradie lifestyle if I want to.

I just need to get shitty tattoos.
Hang out at the pub after work and every time someone says something that sounds smart reply with "Oh look this cunts a fuckin professor or some shit, ahaha fuck".

I've worked with those kinds of people before and honestly I would rather be unemployed than spend time around them.

>not getting a southern cross tat, drinking carlton dry at the pub after work or owning a ute

lmaoing at your """"""""""life""""""""""

I bet Hank would like Australia, since about half the cars run on propane

>since about half the cars run on propane
Not by design, though

As one of the "bogans" that has a career in mental disability (and for the record that's training the people with disabilities to work, not babysitting) I say that your jimmies are definitely rustled over something.

However, whatever that something is, it's no-one's problem but your own. So now I will lapse into words of few syllables so that you can understand: Shut up and try serving the community yourself before you belittle the people that do, you dull, little man.

>Wah, this roughly describes me. (But not really)

We say LPG instead of propane in Australia.

>Waah, i realised I've insulted tons of people for caring and having passion and shown myself as a dull little toad. Best back pedal and passive aggressively withdraw my insult whilst still being insulting

At the end of the day disability care is a baby sitting job that bogans work in.

Which is sad because they should really be cared for by decent humans and not ferals...

I work near a place called the "Endeavour foundation" and see it first hand...

Tattooed up bogans who can't talk properly, taking care of the disabled.. atleast many of the disabled people are too impaired to realise what kind of shitty people are looking after them.

I know a lady who works in disability baby sitting she is always saying things like

"That cunt deserves his fucking head kicked in aye"

and

"I wish all these fucking muslim immigrant cunts would get the fuck out of Australia"

Her son is covered in shitty tattoos, and isn't much more bright...

It's really fucking sad that these people work in disability care because disabled people need to be around decent people...

Sadly these are the kinds of people the job attracts.

Don't worry though...

I work as a graphic designer...

Graphic designers are people who are too stupid and uneducated to be architects but wanted to go to uni and do something better than stacking shelves at woolworths.

Another reason people get into my line of work is because they aren't talented enough to be tattoo artists.

I can criticise myself too... I realise I am not perfect.

found the labor voter

In the US, red necks are anyone who don't come from the biggest cities in the New England area (Boston, NYC, and a few other places), or from the biggest cities in California.

If you come from Atlanta? Red neck. The largest city in in Indiana? Red neck.

Its original meaning was any one from a rural area in the US, but this has really spread out to include any place that the typical New Yorker, Bostonian, or LA dweller would not want to go, like Kansas City (Kansas) or Atlanta, Georgia.

Mind you, people from those "redneck" cities don't think they are rednecks, but their "illuminated" city brethren from the "more internationally flavored" cities disagree.

I vote greens.

why

Because they are pro gay marriage and that pisses off conservatives.

you piss me off, and im gay

Not a single fuck is given...

Also I would say I sit somewhere between the right and left wing...

I actually agree with Phil Duttons comments about refugees.

then don't vote for the greens, dummo
irony and apathy truly are a cancer

Why do so many people draw hank as californian looking ghetto person?

>"I am passionate about childcare, baby sitting disabled people or hairdressing"

>baby sitting disabled people

That's a tough ass job depending on the disability, anyone taking care of disabled people whether they're mentally or physically disabled has my respect.

It's a coping mechanism.

Breaking down and facing the truth has no value at that point in life anymore.
There is no changing for the better, only way left to go is down.

So the options are to either breakdown and fall closer to the bottom or convince yourself you have achieved exactly what you ever wanted in life and maintain the status quo.

With option B you lose slightly less.

That makes sense.

You sound salty as fuck. How about you move to a city that matters?

>but, its also proven that Hank is shit at doing stuff on his own, and would fail if he had his own propane dealership. so he just knows his limitations

I think the biggest issue for Hank is that all the propane dealerships in Heimlich County are corrupt as shit and Hank wouldn't be able to compete.

>Redneck, coping mechanism

Even if they weren't corrupt Hank would still fail. He doesn't have the cutthroat mentality needed to make a profit off of your customers.

The best you can ever hope for is lower middle class.