YEAH

YEAH

SCIENCE BITCH

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/news/young-scientists-1.20835
nature.com/news/1.20857
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan
gallup.com/poll/170822/believe-creationist-view-human-origins.aspx
slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2015/11/polls_americans_believe_in_evolution_less_in_creationism.html
pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/02/10/darwin-day/
sciencealert.com/finally-there-are-more-young-americans-who-believe-in-evolution-than-creationism
washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/29/pope-francis-may-believe-in-evolution-but-42-percent-of-americans-do-not/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_evolution#United_States
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

IN YOUR FACE NEIL ARMSTRONG

What would YOU have said?

HOLY SH*T I'M JUST LIKE IRON MAN™

Holy s**t I f***ing LOVE science!!

I like that he was a smart guy with a sense of humor,just like all the fans of the book.

f*ck yeah science

Mars will come to fear my botany powers

FUK SCIENCE

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

This, but unironically

Mark was so fucking unlikeable. made the movie 10 times worse than it already was.

how long was he up there anyway?

>LET'S EAT SOME BEANS!

I normally wouldnt say this, but this absolutely is reddit the Movie

That was pretty cringe, but not as bad as talking about the Council of Elrond with Sean Bean in the room

meant for

>Ridley Scott isn't a hack whose only good films are Alien, Prometheus and possibly the new Alien

Gladiator is good
Robin Hood 2010 is underrated and also pretty good imo

I forgot he even did Robin Hood, very boring, he's like Nolan, he tries to do deep films but they are only surface level flicks desu. I watched Blue or Black Rain the other day and it was full of cliches and didn't do anything with the nippan vs American dynamic beyond "we have different cultures"

FUCK YOU MARS

At least one watchable movie from Ridley Scott in the last decade.

Foreshadowed the brainlet tier normie embrace of popscience years before it occurred.

Now every pleb tier faggot thinks he's Richard Feynman because he watched a Vsauce video on youtube. Nothing against vsauce.

>prometheus
>good

I'm gonna SCIENCE the SH*T out of it!

That was already well into effect when this movie came out. In fact retards thinking they're astronomers because they like to look at pictures of space has been around for decades.

There are people who hear this line and dont think anything of it, some even think its entertaining. Whats life like for them?

That's the point in time when i realize that "Science" worshipped by normies was just another form of authoritarian control they seek.

*Insert ludicrous science paper about social study* you're not against SCIENCE user ?"

They switch religious or political authority who don't work anymore for science.

That may be true but at least Science is actually useful

donald glover was out of place in this movie

MAN ACHIEVED THIS ACCOMPLISHMENT THROUGH SCIENCE, NOT RELIGION

He literally saved the crackers life

Republicans hate science. They don't even believe in the patriarchy

you were simply intimidated the magnitude of his intelligence

I remember breathing a very exaggerated sign when I saw the first scene with him that had "SCIENCE RULEZ" written on the chalkboard behind him.

I always knew that meme pop zcience stuff was forced bullshit, but this just set it in stone for me.

"Science" has been compromised.

That began when the big bang theory at the very least.

Yeah, people being interested science and learning about cool facts and fundamentals is for fucking nerds

Gotta keep everyone nice and dumb.

Republicans are stupid because they can't separate social science from hard science and don't understand how studies work.
Also, they can't understand freedom past being able to own a gun.

who

There's sci-fi and then there's reddit pandering.

Mark watney, the movie's protagonist

I literally don't understand what you autists are complaining about when it comes to science.

It sounds like your complaining about the writing and the jokes, then attributing them to the science that's in the script.

>your
you're

There's no fucking science in the movie. It's one quip after another. I could actually sense when a quip was coming that's how fucking bad it was

>There's no fucking science in the movie.
There's plenty of science in the movie.

You just dislike that the movie is written partially as a comedy.

Name one science

>spend billions of dollars to bring this guy home

yeah idk man, that's a fuck ton of money

Biology.

Liteally zero (0) biology in the movie

HAHA WAIT TIL REDDIT HEARS ABOUT THIS. CAN YOU SAY A BUTT TON OF UPVOTES?

WHOO.

You're full of shit.

The only way you could really be proved otherwise is if you were sat down and shown countless examples of how phony this facebook tier meme zcience bullshit is and how it LITERALLY does not make you smart by forcing a chuckle at some quippy bill nye the science guy image macro.

Hey. You said name one science.

this.

Off the top of my head, the way he uses chemistry to make water.

It was funny when jesse pinkman did it because we knew he was a dimwit. I can't buy an actual scientist saying "I'm going to have to science the shit out of this." I just can't.

Scientists are literally people too.

There are scientists browsing Sup Forums, jerking off to scat and saying ignorant and incorrect things about other types of science.

That's why peer review and replication of results is so important.

It was a 'hollywood' line. Some red meat for the reddit crowd. I couldn't take the movie seriously after it.

^this. the wave of pop science is a detriment and detractor to actual science.

Beyond the normie sphere where everything is a fad, there is a pronounced wave of young bright minds yearning to take science to the next level :

nature.com/news/young-scientists-1.20835

nature.com/news/1.20857

I'd rather a real depiction of a serious and passionate young scientist than pandering to the idea that some brainlet normie can just hop up and become an astronaut and that it really is just that easy .. This is a lie .. Intellectually dishonest and if anything results in a bunch of brainlets failing/dropping out freshman year when they learn science is (((hard))).

Also, it shouldn't be normal that someone feels like they have a PHD in science because they watched a youtube video about gravity.

Christ I was going to post about how my brother is a REAL scientist, a chemist actually, who works in a lab and has never paid attention to this reddit-tier pop science bullshit. He even goes to church on Sundays but it kept getting marked as spam.

Hey friendo, a ton of young people are inspired to become scientists because of that pop-science.

Your issue is with pseudointellectualism, not pop-science.

^this.
>Some red meat for the reddit crowd.
>I already couldn't take the film but this really ended it for me

It literally felt like a two hour film in which science was co-opted from intelligent people and handed over to brainlet reddit normies ....

In broader society, this is exactly what's going on. Rarely do you ever see a real scientist discussing science anymore. You have these pop culture fucking brainlets representing it and steering it to nonsense.

> Real scientist : But...
> Sorry, we've got it from here. Go back to making stuff or whatever it is you do. We'll explain how it works and represent your ideas to the public.

They're doing it for the wrong reason.

Some 8th grade niggers attaching wires to a watermelon for a science project because they were """"inspired""" by a lazy teacher who threw on that Cosmos show with Neil Degrasse Tyson isn't exactly inspiring them to become a """scientist""" faggot.

Get the fuck off my board kor

He has three good films: Alien, Blade Runner and Thelma & Louise. With that said, The Martian was one of the worst "critically acclaimed" films I've seen in my entire life.

user.

Please explain to me how teaching science to middle schoolers in a fun way is bad.

Again, it sounds like you have issues not with pop-science, but a perceived laziness that it's resulting in people not being educated correctly.

The hard truth is that most people forget most the of the science they learn in highschool/gradeschool. Making it more memorable makes it more likely to be remembered.

>t literally felt like a two hour film in which science was co-opted from intelligent people and handed over to brainlet reddit normies

Yeah, those dipshits at NASA that were involved in that film, what brainlet normies.

>In broader society, this is exactly what's going on. Rarely do you ever see a real scientist discussing science anymore. You have these pop culture fucking brainlets representing it and steering it to nonsense.

And now you're complaining about talking head media culture. Can you please pick something and stick with it?

What is the right reason and why do you think the book was written?

reddit spacing

No, My issue is both :
>pop science
>pseudo-intellectualism

Young people inspired? Try an actual scientist :
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan

Pop science keeps getting dumber and dumber.

It used to be people like that who represented pop science. It wasn't pseudo intellectualism. It was intellectual, deep, and inspiring. The point is to think to yourself : Fuck .. This is way beyond me. Gee, I want to know more about that. Not
> Yep, just watched vsauce's latest video. I'm now a PHD level astrophysicist

Nothing about the pseudo-intellectual bullshit that blankets pop science screams .. This is an amazing and deep topic that you might want to look into.. People consume it like the junk food it is and rarely go on further.

Of course you'll say .. no this isn't the case what about all the people getting into science and STEM and I'll again highlight that the vast majority just like in the past were already deeply inspired by real science which is why they'll survive the academic rigor needed to progress in it and make it past highschool and freshman year physics without failing out because (((hard))).

America by and large is way the fuck behind in science compared to the world because of our constant need to trivialize deep/significant/complicated things.

I was inspired by Einstein, Richard Feynman, Alan Turing, Carl Sagan, Tesla etc when I was young....

Scientist .. Not meat heads trying to get youtube hits hawking pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

Actual real science... bitch

I like reddit spacing.

Gives my dsyslexic self a sense of differentiation and makes it much easier to type.

Suck my dick.

Am I being baited right now?

Honestly confused.

Also, you should know that Tesla was a hack who is given more credit for others ideas and inventions than Edison was.

Black user here with a Graduate STEM degree... Almost spit my tea all over my laptop laughing at this.

Skrong statement but true. By the way, I really enjoyed Cosmos and felt it covered a lot of ground. I did enjoy Carl Sagan's version as well and felt it went much deeper. Cosmos imo reflected the ever inching movement towards slowly dumbing down science.

>Tesla was a hack

itstimetostopposting.jpg

yay affirmative action!

>By the way, I really enjoyed Cosmos and felt it covered a lot of ground

I never watched it. Always assumed it was propaganda tier junkinfo garbage, never bothered to find out either way not was I interested.

If it were real life NASA probably would have hidden the fact that Matt Damon was left on Mars and would have left him there to die desu

Am I being baited in that you have jack-all to say about the lion's-hare of my correct commentary.. But managed to skip to my (((partial))) listed inspirations and picked, per your perception, low hanging fruit?

Try again fekkit. I'm not even going to entertain some brainlet tier dissection of Tesla's work.

he was such a bro on Mars (annoying.)

lol wasnt this the guy who was mars? lmao what dude

4.82 GPA.
Top 10 of my highschool class
5 AP credits
Placed into junior level mathematics courses freshman year.
Finished bachelors in 2.5 years.

AMA fekkit.

>this faggot who doesn't even know who William Stanley is thinks that Tesla is god responsible for powering our country
Sorry, there was just so much fedora that I assumed you were kidding. Hang on.

Try it out. It's a palatable series.
Good Modern framing imo.

FUCK YOU, SCIENCE!

>It used to be people like that who represented pop science.
Uh, no. We've always had silly experiments, flashy reactions and simple concepts to teach. Cosmos was special because it was different. It wasn't the norm, and you've been blinded by nostalgia. Accurate science in movies is so much better in 2017 than it was when Cosmos was airing.

>It used to be people like that who represented pop science. It wasn't pseudo intellectualism. It was intellectual, deep, and inspiring. The point is to think to yourself : Fuck .. This is way beyond me. Gee, I want to know more about that. Not

Or, and stay with me on this, people are interesting in how things work. Humans ask questions. Not everyone watches a fun video on gravity looking to expose themselves to the mysteries of the universe or to have their worldview massively changed. Maybe someone is just interested on how something works as a basic concept? Almost like it's made to educate the uneducated and not overwhelm people with advanced mathematical concepts.

>I'll again highlight that the vast majority just like in the past were already deeply inspired by real science which is why they'll survive the academic rigor needed to progress in it and make it past highschool and freshman year physics without failing out because (((hard))).

You've lost the plot completely. Not only are a ton of people inspired by this pop-science in my experience, but you somehow think that learning fun, simple science is entirely worthless because you can't base a STEM career off it. What ever happened to learning things, you cynical, entitled shit.

>America by and large is way the fuck behind in science compared to the world because of our constant need to trivialize deep/significant/complicated things.

America is behind because of hilariously regressive funding policies and the fact that half the country thinks science is devil magic and that most of it is a Chinese plot

Popscience facts are nothing more than useless trivia. It doesn't make you educated.

>half the country thinks science is devil magic

You are so fucking stupid and I highly recommend you stay at reddit.

4 in 10 Americans think God made the world

>4 in 10 Americans think God made the world 10000 years ago.

I 100% doubt that, nor do I care about that claim backed up by you linking an article about it from www.ifuckinglovescience.com

Fuck off dumbshit

> Uh, no. We've always had silly experiments, flashy reactions and simple concepts to teach. Cosmos was special because it was different. It wasn't the norm, and you've been blinded by nostalgia. Accurate science in movies is so much better in 2017 than it was when Cosmos was airing.
Sorry buddy... Having truly been around then and very actively aware now, pop science as well as broad based culture in America has increasingly went the way of dumbing down. It has nothing to do w/ nostalgia and everything to do w/ the dominant declining culture in America continually infecting just about everything.

> Almost like it's made to educate the uneducated and not overwhelm people with advanced mathematical concepts.

You're again deflecting from the pronounced and clearly present trend of things being dumbed down across the board. You commented as if this dumbed down foolishness is bringing people to science now you fall back on it just being junk food entertainment bites...

> You've lost the plot completely. Not only are a ton of people inspired by this pop-science in my experience, but you somehow think that learning fun, simple science is entirely worthless because you can't base a STEM career off it. What ever happened to learning things, you cynical, entitled shit.

Slow down faggot. I never said continual learning was an issue or learning science w/o a STEM degree. Dumbing shit down is a slippery slope you imbecile. You just had Bill Nye air a sexual freak show on mainstream television in the name of science. Can you not see the degenerate fucking mockery that science has become? A youtube video about flat earth has millions of hit whereas an actual video on science has 10. It's 2017 and people are running around believing in flat earth. Can you not see how we got here idiot?

Gee user sounds like your problem is with pseudo-intellectuals, not the fact that people want to learn interesting and fun science facts and possible promote a more educated mindset

user, a large percentage of our government doesn't believe in evolution. OUR PRESIDENT and VICE PRESIDENT don't believe in evolution. Now, polls always have a margin of error (Trump) but even if all the polls are off by 20%, there's still a very large contingent of our population that thinks that dinosaurs are tests put in the earth by God.

If you want, I can link the polls, but I expect the classic "lol jews control the internet and all polls are worthless because Trump won"

I actually live in the Biblebelt and not even anyone here is that retarded.

i cant tell if this was worse than covenant or not

it was pretty boring in parts but for a sci fi movie it was pretty good in parts as well

needed to be a bit tighter

Continued reply...
>
> America is behind because of hilariously regressive funding policies and the fact that half the country thinks science is devil magic and that most of it is a Chinese plot

Bro, boom.. You've just fucking jumped the shark and proved my point. You're a shining fucking example of what dumbed down information and general fucking idiocy w.r.t to pop-science and pop-information have done to people. You have no fucking clue what's going on and believe in some fairy tale bullshit being hawked around by brainlets on youtube and Television. Incapable of thinking critically on your own because all you do is consume brainlet tier bullshit.

America is behind because of its dominant ideology and culture turning to shit and due to the dumbing down of the populous.

> half the country thinks science is devil magic and that most of it is a Chinese plot
FFS .. Listen to yourself.

>I totally have evidence but you won't believe me anyway

>OUR PRESIDENT and VICE PRESIDENT don't believe in evolution.

Well that's a fundamental disagreement we both have here because I don't believe in it either.

I'm more than welcome for you to link me a facebook article from ifuckinglovescience! to prove me wrong, even though you can't.

>B-B-B-BUT SCIENCE!

My brother is a fucking scientist and he's still a Catholic. Please stop thinking you're so smart.

I also live in the bible belt and my pastor told me that playing D&D was going to send me to hell and that Obama was a servant of the anti-christ.
gallup.com/poll/170822/believe-creationist-view-human-origins.aspx
slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2015/11/polls_americans_believe_in_evolution_less_in_creationism.html
pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/02/10/darwin-day/
sciencealert.com/finally-there-are-more-young-americans-who-believe-in-evolution-than-creationism
washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/29/pope-francis-may-believe-in-evolution-but-42-percent-of-americans-do-not/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_evolution#United_States

I can only try. But 40 dollars says you literally dismiss it.

>Well that's a fundamental disagreement we both have here because I don't believe in it either.
I appreciate it user. I now know I don't have to talk to you about this because you're too ignorant to have an informed opinion.

Haven't seen the movie, but the book is fucking trash.

Is le science meme man just as much of a robot in the film? In the entire book he barely expresses a single emotion. He doesn't get lonely, he doesn't feel despair, hopelessness or any of the things a human might feel in a situation where they face almost certain death in complete isolation. The only time he came even close was when he though about his parents for one sentence.

Compare it to something like Cast Away and it's fucking garbage.

>user, a large percentage of our government doesn't believe in evolution. OUR PRESIDENT and VICE PRESIDENT don't believe in evolution. Now, polls always have a margin of error (Trump) but even if all the polls are off by 20%, there's still a very large contingent of our population that thinks that dinosaurs are tests put in the earth by God.
>If you want, I can link the polls, but I expect the classic "lol jews control the internet and all polls are worthless because Trump won"

^Reddit newfag detected. Has become brainwashed by brainlet tier figureheads to believe the state of science is dictated by figureheads in washington as opposed to Dominant ideology in the country.

Disregards individuals making a choice to spend their time on facebook, instagram, snapshat, tindr, plebbit, worldstar, youtube watching garbage has nothing to do w/ the the state of decline...

> BUT, MUH PRESIDENT BELIEBS THIS ..
What do you believe faggot?
Where is the average pleb spending their time?

GTFO here w/ this reddit tier bullshit.

>I'm more than welcome for you to link me a facebook article from ifuckinglovescience! to prove me wrong
That's not how it works.

Do I need to explain the difference between a colloquial theory and a scientific one? Do I need to "prove" gravity?

All of those """sources""" you have can LITERALLY be EXAGGERATED and MANIPULATED to fit a certain narrative they want pushed.

I fucking hate this meme of someone throwing up some link to a website and thinking that's the end-all-be-all of the subject at hand.

And everyone who's not a dumb nigger with a half a brain and a bit of awareness knows that the last president sucked and the country has fundamentally changed for the worst, especially culturally, because of that faggot. You so intelligently posting a link to some random website cannot refute that fact. Kys